192 Main St., North Sunderland, Seahouses, NE68 7UB, United Kingdom
Booking.com eDreams Priceline.com

More about St. Cuthbert's House

Simply stunning

by TripAdvisor Member HLJTyneandWear

We were lucky enough to find this charming B&B, situated five minutes from the beautiful Northumberland coastline, in time for Valentine's day. It was perfect for a romantic weekend - the room was of the highest standards, with lovely personal touches, but it was the hospitality of our hosts, Jeff and Jill, who made our stay so memorable. I certainly won't forget having my breakfast brought in the following morning (my birthday) to the sounds of the Northumbrian pipes! We will definitely be returning to this stunning church conversion and have already recommended it to family and friends. Thank you for a wonderful weekend :)

Great website reality even better !

by TripAdvisor Member TheWalkers52

It's 7 months since we had a 4 night stay at St Cuthbert's House,why does time speed up at an age?Having had such a delghtful experience it had always been my intention to write this note.
We found the address simply by surfing the web for accomodation and were immediately interested by the quality and content of the site and the 'romance ' of bringing the Chapel to a new lease of life.
We are a group of friends who have stayed B&B over many years of walking trips. Never before have we felt so immediately welcome and relaxed as we did on arriving at St. Cuthbert's. Bearing in mind Jeff and Jill had only been trading some 6 weeks on our visit in August 2008,as I recall, and must have still been going through something of a 'learning curve',they were utterly relaxed, delightful hosts.
The Grade2 listed Chapel renovation is compelling, from the spacious full height lounge/dining room complete with home cinema system to the tastefully appointed ,comfortable ensuite bedrooms, wireless internet 'n all.
Breakfasts were to look forward to, plentiful, beautifully cooked by Jill,served with good humour by Jeff.I cannot comment on the pipe playing and singing pehaps J and J hadn't warmed up to the idea on our visit. another time perhaps,as, we will certainly return.
A wish? -- That dinner was available.
A criticism -- Absolutely not. -- Well, ok then -- something to do with an egg, -- but thats a private joke!

Photography Weekend in beautiful Northumberland

by TripAdvisor Member ExiledYorkshireman

A successful St Cuthbert's House Theme Weekend. A group of 6 keen photographers, led by David Taylor, visited a variety of Northumberland coastal and rural locations to take pictures. From dawn shoots at Craster and Bamburgh to dusk photography at Dunstanburgh Castle and Alnmouth, with visits to windswept Holy Island, sunny Berwick and Warkworth Castle too. Our base was the welcoming St Cuthbert's House where Jeff and Jill treated us to first class food, generous hospitality and top quality comfortable surroundings! A gem of a place in what is understandably called The Secret Kingdom!

A real gem in Northumberland

by TripAdvisor Member tophlet

St Cuthberts House is one of those rarities - a high quality English B & B run by friendly, discerning and caring people who really want to make your stay pleasant. The house itself is unique - a converted church, but it is more than that. The style and overall quality are of the highest order. Bedrooms are large, well equipped, airy and comfortable, and bathrooms are finished with top quality fittings. Quite simply these would not be out of place in a 4 or 5 star hotel. Breakfast was excellent, but we had to place our orders the night before - a pity because at this price I feel we ought to be able to make our decisions in the morning. The location is OK - about 1 mile from the coast but a rather dull walk through the residential part of town. Jeff and Jill however are lovely friendly, caring hosts and have provided accommodation with a touch of class and style. It is also an ideal base from which to explore the beautiful Northumberland coast. I would certainly return.

Have never stayed anywhere else where we felt so much at home

by TripAdvisor Member ChipsStone

We stayed here for a three day photographic themed break – a surprise treat
for my husband's birthday. Even before our arrival, I felt more like an old friend than a stranger. Jeff and Jill were in regular touch by email prior to our arrival and were both there to greet us as we arrived with a welcome pot of tea and biscuits. Had we not come across their excellent website we may have driven right by never giving them a second glance. However, once inside the converted chapel, we can confirm that we found the most comfortable and homely accommodation. Everywhere was spotlessly clean and tastefully decorated. Our comfortable room was plenty large enough with a stylish and practical walk-in shower room off.
We were very well fed too with a good choice of breakfasts and our evening meals (included as part of the themed break) were generous helpings of Jill's excellent home cooking.
The photography themed break was well organised. The small group gelled well, went to a variety of locations, took some amazing pictures and had a lot of fun with an opportunity to view their images on the big screen during the evenings.
With advise from our hosts as to where to go during the day and a chance to have a massage one evening from their friend Jean (lovely lady), I as a non-participant, enjoyed my stay too. We were so comfortable we booked in for an extra night.
Jeff & Jill have worked really hard to achieve such high standards and yet they still have time for their guests and have the knack of making them all feel special.
We'd love to return sometime in the future and would certainly recommend St Cuthbert’s.

Photo Trip

by TripAdvisor Member HadriansWall5

I have just returned from a 3 night stay at St Cuthberts House. My room was a large en-suite room with everything you’d expect from a 4 star gold B & B. I had a lovely warm welcome from Jeff & Jill. They soon made me feel like it was my second home and told me of some local beauty spots I could visit. All I can say is if traveling North or South get off the A1 and call in and stay with Jill & Jeff and see what Northumberland has to offer.

The perfect place for our "Honeymoon part 2"

by TripAdvisor Member iliad58

Jeff & Jill have created a wonderful place - better than any 5-star hotel I've stayed in world wide!
The other reviews say it all -
comfort : excellent,
facilities : excellent,
hospitality : superb i.e. better than excellent!.
We will be back - who knows when, Honeymoon part 3??
Ian & Jo

Friendly, gracious, fun and luxurious comfort in an area of stunning beauty

by TripAdvisor Member sberry7714

We recently took a group of 9 high school students on a trip to Northumberland to introduce them to the beauty, history, and spiritual significance of this area. We used St Cuthbert’s house as a home base for 6 nights. Although the girls were treated to lunch in the great hall of a castle, Evensong in Durham Cathedral, sight seeing and shopping in Edinburgh, a boat ride to see puffins and a morning on a farm where lambs were being born, the answer to our query of “what was the highlight of the trip?” was a resounding “staying with Jeff and Jill at St Cuthbert’s”! The level of luxury combined with comfort (elegant rooms , beautiful bathrooms, excellent showers, perfect beds, flat screened TV’s, chocolates, endless tea & biscuits and Jill’s amazing breakfasts to wake up to each morning) made coming home at the end of each busy day a happily anticipated and longed for event in and of itself! Jeff and Jill’s warm hospitality and incredible helpfulness in all of the large and small details of our excursions made our week a truly special and unforgettable experience. Several of the above mentioned activities happened only because of a judicious phone call made by Jeff on our behalf. On two occasions the welcome home greetings of Jill were accompanied by a culinary feast ready to go from oven to table in a twinkling. The girls were amazed and delighted by the number and variety of tasty things that can be heaped on an already perfect jacket potato and voted the Sunday Roast a tradition they would love to repeat – every week if possible. We also benefited from Jeff’s state of the art video equipment complete with large screen which enabled us to view some movies filmed at the very places we’d just visited and enjoy an evening of music and story telling around some of the Celtic saints well known in the area. The girls also loved just relaxing on the comfy sofas in the main room and catching up on emails, courtesy of the wireless network available throughout the house. St Cuthbert’s is the perfect place and Jeff and Jill the perfect hosts for anyone wishing to visit this stunning area. You may arrive as a guest, but you leave feeling like a member of a happy and fast growing family. We are already planning next year’s trip!

What a GEM of a place !!!!

by TripAdvisor Member greenlen

My wife and I have just returned from a 2 night break at St Cuthbert's lodge. Upon arrival we were greeted by Jeff and Jill and immediately felt welcome and at home. After a very welcome cup of tea we were shown to our room. The room was excellent, clean, bright and had everything you needed. Jeff explained about breakfast times etc. If you wanted a cooked breakfast in the morning, you simply fill in the menu slip in the room and put in downstairs before 10pm stating what you wanted to eat from the list and preferred time for breakfast. This works a treat, the next day when breakfast was served it was lovely and fresh and with the best local produce, a great way to start the day.

St Cuthbert's is located about a 10 min walk out of Seahouses with a pub or 2 on the way. This is great to work up a little appetite for dinner or walk off a meal and a few drinks afterwards. The location of St Cuthbert's in Northumberland is excellent. There are ample places to visit and see all with in a walk, short drive or bus ride away.

In summary, St Cuthbert's lodge is a great place to stay, Jeff and Jill are very friendly, the perfect hosts and have a gem of a place. Thanks for a great weekend . Nick and Julie-Anne.

What a lovely place to stay, with a warm fiendly welcome.

by TripAdvisor Member SandyB43

Well what can I say? Jill and Jeff have a very lovely B & B but, its really more than that its a home from home. They are both very nice people who can't do enough for you. They even arranged for a lady to come and give my wife aromatherapy, as she has a bad back.
The rooms are of a high standard. The lounge is well equipped and comfortable. In fact the whole house is decorated and equipped to a very high standard. There are a few artifacts from when the house was a church and they have been woven into the fabric of the renovated building.
Breakfast is substantial and filling and sets you up for the day. All in all a very friendly place that I would have no hesitation in recommending to anyone. Will definately be back!

Seahouses HarbourSeahouses Harbour

A seagullA seagull

Why lifeboats and recues matter.Why lifeboats and recues matter.

Why it matters.Why it matters.

Comments