Britannia Hotel Nottingham

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 30% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

Hotel dining

The hotel offered us a carvery as our late afternoon/evening meal. There was plenty to go around for our party and other customers. The food wasn't spectacular, but then we didn't pay spectacular prices! There was a choice of meat and vegetables with or without gravy. I didn't hear any complaints from people from our party, the only area the staff fell down was a quick turnaround. This posed a small problem as we were restricted to time and were told all would run smoothly - some of the party missed out on the fun and games because they were still eating but that's an issue we will rectify by allowing more time within our schedule!

Hotel bar

There is a good size space that covers the bar area, as I say, I was with a party of 50 and we all gathered here for some fun and games before heading to the Races.

The service is friendly, but be prepared for a wait if there are a lot of people there. There are more places to sit than stand in the area.
    The atmosphere was great and the people that were not from our party also joined in and had a laugh with us!

The bar offers light meals, sandwiches and desserts along with drinks of course. There are time restrictions to when you can order food.

Happy to help!

This hotel is the perfect innercity location. It's near to bus route and is easily in walking distance from the shops and nightlife.

I was in a party of 50. The hotel was very organised for getting us all checked-in. The facilities were good and the food (carvery) was very nice.

Check-in is from 2pm and check-out is by 11am. There is NO parking here. There is a large bar area, dining room and dry cleaning facilities.
    The interior is modern and seems rather new. In reception, there are leaflets and information about Nottingham and what to do.
    The staff are very helpful and friendly. With being in a large party, and helping out with the organisation and logistics for our activities within the hotel, I was a bit of a pest making sure things were ready and certain spaces were available for our party!

More about Britannia Hotel Nottingham

Not as expected / described

by TripAdvisor Member nevhel

We booked this hotel through Last Minute and it was the photos that swayed our decision to pick this hotel. However, when we arrived the reception area was bland and not as nice as shown in the picture - the picture on the website is clearly about ten years out of date. The room itself was nothing like it was pictured, it was very basic and very dated. The bathroom light was flickering as soon as we got there, we reported it and we were promised that something would be done but it never was - we ended up taking the bulb out becaue it was driving us insane. Great view from the window looking into a block of offices. We were awoken from a pleasant sleep at 2am by a screeching fire alarm which went off, stopped and went off again - attempted to find out what was going on since this is the strangest sounding fire alarm we have ever heard but reception would not answer the phone. No organisation whatsoever - people running and screaming everywhere and no-one organising the evacuation. We were forced into the street and told to wait near a very expensive carpark (no parking at this hotel) and were eventually told it was something to do with a faulty glass panel. We have seen photos posted on here which are nothing like our room; to its credit, our room was bigger than the other photos on here but we will definitely not be staying at this hotel again. When we came back, complained to Last Minute who were a waste of time.

As for Nottingham we loved it and will definitely be returning there. We went at Christmas time and the decorations were beautiful and the German market was very nice.

If you like Indian food, you will not be disappointed since there are two in the immediate vicinity of this hotel. We tried 4550 miles from delhi which was very good and reasonably priced.

If you're thinking of booking this place, don't bother - try the holiday inn over the road, it looked much nicer. This hotel used to be a holiday inn but, presumably, the standard of the place had dropped and so holiday inn decided to drop the hotel.

Not recommended at the price

by TripAdvisor Member Grae_Hallam

I have to say that I paid £120 to stay in this hotel for one night last year and felt conned. The room was cramped, the chair in the room ripped, the bedding smelled stale and the blanket seemed grubby and old. There was no breakfast included (!) for this cost. Ridiculous.

No frills. Did the job!

by TripAdvisor Member MysticShrewsbury

I spent 4 nights at the Britannia whilst attending a course. Finding the way to it via the one-way system of Nottingham proved a challenge but I found it eventually. The St James car park is literally right next door. I parked my car there safely. No problem with paying the bill (got my 30% discount by having the ticket processed at the hotel reception first).

The hotel was clean. My room was typical fare with a good ensuite. The shower nearly beat me to a pulp but I know a lot of people like that!!! Fantastic view from the 9th floor window of the castle and across the city centre.

I had B and B for £59 a night. Could have had a three course evening meal for a tenner! Where else could you get that value? The staff were polite and helpful. The breakfast range was limited and the same each day but there was plenty of it.

The hotel's central location makes it very handy for walking and exploring the large central area of Nottingham. I would go back to the hotel again.

Great Position!!

by TripAdvisor Member ScunnyShelly

After booking this hotel I checked Trip Advisor (I know you should do this before, will next time!) I was slightly worried so rang the hotel direct.
I spoke to a assistant manager who told me not to worry some of the room's on the 6th floor weren't refurbished, but because we'd booked in advanced we wouldn't be put there. He then took my number and rang me back to tell me what room's we had, he told me the only thing I had to worry about was if it was blue or red pillows!!!

When we arrived I mentioned to the receptionist that I'd spoke to the manger! We were given are key's and explained about breakfast times.
We were on the 5th floor these rooms did not match the pictures on the web site and I was slightly upset after ringing and been told I had the new rooms. These older rooms were ok but did need a overhall.

Anyway I went down to reception and asked about my blue and red room's (pictures off internet of room's in hand), the receptionist was polite but said he had no twin room's but could give us double's instead.
We excepted these rooms on the 4th floor, they were lovely and lived up to the pictures.
Breakfast was ok you could have as much as you like, toast maker not very good!!

This hotel is perfectly situated in the town center and you get 30% discount from the hotel for paking, we left are car there nearly 3 day's no problems.
Overall good hotel for £65prpn B&B.

Cheap furniture, rude staff

by TripAdvisor Member munizaga

Booked here because a friend was having a stags night.
Arrived and they had loud piped music in the reception.
Checkin was buy a young guy who was just plain rude. I booked a suite and they charged GBP85 so I was expecting a good room but got a small room with cheap furniture. It was just pokey. It did have a kettle and ability to make tea which was great. The WIFI internet connection was free and very good. The shower was good and had hot water. The meal I had in the restaurant was very good plus the guiness at the bar was great. Checkout was just like the checkin with a young woman who was just plain rude - where do they find these people, do they have a special Britannia training course.

Location is good but no parking nearby except for the NCP car park where I left my car for 24 hours but was just plain scared that my car would not be there when I returned as this car park obviously has no security but lots of signs telling you that your car's security is your responsibilty. I would stay at another hotel next time just because the NCP carpark is not up to scratch and its not worth a cheap hotel if you end up losing your car.

Avoid at all costs!

by TripAdvisor Member HEN11

I stayed here with a group of friends for my hen weekend and I will definitely not be going back!

I booked 2 months in advance at a rate of £65 per room for bed and breakfast. I only chose this hotel because they were happy for us to pay when we arrived, whereas other hotels in Nottingham wanted me to pay for all the rooms at time of booking. When we arrived we were checked in at a rate of £55 per room, breakfast not included. When I queried this I was told that they had no record of my original request and that we could pay £9.70 per person for breakfast. Suffice to say we declined this offer and went elsewhere for breakfast the next day.

Even though we arrived at 2:30pm and check out time was midday we were told that one of our rooms was not ready. The man at reception said it was probably just finishing being cleaned and they hadn't updated it on the computer. He gave us the keycard anyway and told us to go up. We opened the door to our room, saw towels strewn all over the floor, curtains still closed etc., and, on closer inspection, a man still asleep in one of the beds! Went straight down to reception to complain to find the lady at the desk completely unfazed by the whole thing, as if it happens all the time! We just could not believe that they would give us the key to a room without checking to see if it was vacant. We had to leave our bags in one of the other rooms, come back later on, and then work very hard to get to speak to the duty manager who eventually offered us a feeble £10 refund on the room.

The room itself was reasonable, a bit shabby, but comfy enough for our basic needs. Fortunately we didn't need to spend much time in the hotel itself.

Have stayed in Nottingham before at the Express by Holiday Inn and it is so much nicer. Avoid the Britannia at all costs!

Try to avoid indeed !

by TripAdvisor Member Laninha

Stayed 1 night only, but that was enough for not wanting to ever go back. Nothing extreme really, but everything is a little bit ridiculous... Unfriendly, unprofessional, untidy, unorganised ! Plus awful dinner. The choice is yours !

Not what I expected at all!

by TripAdvisor Member TrixyJ

The only thing going for this hotel is it's location really, which is excellent if you are going shopping or for a night out, but if you have the extra cash, stay at the Park Plaza across the road instead as it is MUCH nicer! The room was really shabby and run down, and we had booked a twin but got a double bed and then a little pull out bed which was only really suitable for a child! The breakfast was cheap and nasty food too, really not good at all! I have paid much less to stay in city centre hotels and have had a fab room and excellent breakfast. Do not go there!

Avoid at all costs !!

by TripAdvisor Member joannalouise1

We would not have booked this hotel having seen the reviews but a friends wedding was being held here so it was purely for convenience.
My initial impression was poor as the reception area was dark and dingy. The staff were also scruffy and not particularly friendly.
The rooms were small and in desperate need of updating. One of the pillows had mould growing on it and there were some very suspect stains on the wall !! The bathroom was not much better as the tiles behind the shower were coming away and there was no way I was going to even touch the dirty shower curtain.
We did not even bother with breakfast as had ordered 2 cappacino's from room service and they were disgusting.
Whilst the Britannia is cheap and in a good location the actual hotel itself is extremely poor and should be avoided.

Just about the worst three star hotel I've ever seen

by TripAdvisor Member RaviShropshire

We booked this hotel as a party of ten, looking for something central with decent rooms and a bar where we could round off the evenings.

The location was superb but for the din coming from those leaving the bar opposite -(this is the Irish bar owned by the hotel which has a decibel level as loud as anything I have ever experienced, Karaoke all night every night and a good punch up on the street at 4am).

The residents bar in the hotel was shut by 10pm.

If I stood in the middle of the bedroom I could practically touch all four walls.

Complete cock-up at reception with the room bookings.

Door cards very hit and miss.

Breakfast at £7.50 wasn't half as good as Witherspoons over the road at £2.10.

I can't think of any reason why I would ever want to return there.

Comments