Clumber Park Hotel Nottingham

Costs 62% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Clumber Park Hotel Nottingham

Clumber Park

by eddilowe

Clumber park is 3800 acres of peaceful woods, open heath, farmland, a lovely lake and the longest avenue of lime trees in Europe.

Clumber was part of Nottinghamshire's 'Dukeries', formerly home to the Dukes of Newcastle. The main house was demolished in 1938. This link shows the house as it stood on the banks of the lake. From the picture, only the church now remains which is quite amazing. Funny to think I've stood where the house would've been.....Also still surviving are the entrance gate, walled kitchen garden, glass houses and stableyard also still stands.

There is a shop and restaurant and plenty of parking. If you take a dog it must be kept on a lead.

The estate village of Hardwick is actually older than the park itself. It is located at the NE end of the lake.

Check with the park prior to your visit for opening times as it varies. There are also occassional days when they hold big concerts and the park is closed to all visitors other than those who have concert tickets.

Admission
Vehicle entry charge: £4 per car
£5.20 car + caravan, minibus, car + trailer
Walled kitchen garden: £1, children free.

We went in October as all the leaves on the trees were turning and it was very pretty. We had a walk round the grounds, went to the walled gardens (which I didn't have high hopes for but actually really enjoyed) and drove round Hardwick village.

If you want to stay in the area there is the 3 star Clumber Park Hotel located on the A614.

There is also a campsite which is run by the Caravan Club

Lovely Location, Good Room but Breakfast was terrible!

by TripAdvisor Member Eastmidlander

We checked in quite late for our one night stay - e.g after midnight. The Duty Receptionist was very helpful and professional in the way he processed our check in and allocated the room.

Our room was very clean, warm and comfortable.

Plenty of free Daily Newspapers available to pick up and read enroute to breakfast the following morning.

Breakfast was served in a conservatory style restaurant. We were shown to our table by a helpful member of staff who explained the system of help yourself cereals, fruit juice and do it yourself toast machine. He took our order for cooked breakfast. I had the full English whilst my wife ordered Eggs Benedict. My full English was fine although if I was picky, the fried egg was hard and overcooked. The Eggs Benedict eventually arrived and consisted of a muffin on which was placed a poached egg with a slice of Palma Ham. My wife queried where was the Hollandaise sauce at which the waiter took the plate back to the kitchen and returned saying that there was no Hollandaise sauce. He did not offer an alternative. By this time other guests had arrived and the restaurant staff could not cope with the orders. Breakfast ingredients started running out, and guests were left for an unreasonable time waiting for their breakfasts. Very poor.

The Breakfast service was totally unacceptable and I felt sorry for the few staff trying to cope with an inadequate kitchen.

Average quality for inflated price

by TripAdvisor Member casfenglad

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights whilst on business in the area, as a freelance consutlant I pay my own accommodation costs so look for value for money. I was able to get a late deal which cost less thatn 50% of Rack rate. For the price I paid the hotel was fair value for money but if I had paid a higher price I would have been disappointed. The hotel service and accommodation had the air of a Travelodge or Premier Inn rather than a luxury hotel.
When I arrived there was someone at reception and the checking in procedure was competent but I was not offered help with my bags.
My room had an enormous bed which was very comfortable, however the only chair in the room was an upright chair at the desk/dressing table, to watch TV or read I either had to sit on the upright chair or perch on the bed.
When I went for breakfast the first morning there was no one in the dining room and inspite of my shoes making a clattering noise on the wooden floor there was no sign of a member of staff, I helped myself to fruit from the buffet and sat myself down. Eventually a member of staff appeared to offer tea or coffee and take an order for cooked breakfast. Cooked breakfasts were prepared to order and on the one day that I did indulged the smoked salmon and scrambled egg was hot and tasty.
I had one meal in the Brasserie and it was disappointing. The menu offered some strange combinations of food and the dish that I chose did not live up to expectations.
I also took advantage of some of the Spa facilites, I was provided with a towel and there was a magnetic card system for the lockers so I did not have to find any cash. The pool was a disappointing 12 metres which meant that any serious swimmer would hardly get into there stride before they had to turn round.
In summary this was a fairly average hotel with pretentions above its ability.

Clumber Park is not the hotel people decribe on here. It was excellent..

by TripAdvisor Member ildibobs

I was bought the Autumn Leaf package for my birhday & Xmas from my two daughters. After reading the reviews on tripadvisor I was worried as to what lay ahead. I am always used to going away and staying at 5* hotels and I am very fussy down to checking the pillos mattresses etc. When we arrived the rooms were not ready so we went to the spa first and had our treatments and and a swim. The spa treatments for a taster facial and back massage lived up to our expectations. We later were given our room numbers and we were pleasantly suprised that the rooms were clean, modern and fresh. In our package we got the evening meal and breakfast incuded. We went to the brasserie for our evening meal. The choice on the menu was excellent and we ended up ordering a steak. The drink were very expensive though a gin & tonic was £5.00, however, the wine list was very reasonable. The next morning we went to breakfast. You went to the buffet for your fruit, toast, cerials and danish pastrys and the waiter/waitress took your order for the cooked breakfast. There was so much to choose from and it was made fresh while you waited. Once again........I could not fault the hotel....Thank you to the staff at Clumber Park for a nice stay and we will be back...

the oldest innthe oldest inn

terrace mosaicterrace mosaic

On my living room wall!On my living room wall!

The Lace HouseThe Lace House

Nottingham to London and back

by ashwin_k82

Hi,
I am new to UK, I want to visit london on 13 and 14 Oct 2007. I have few queries.
1. What is the cheapest way to get there> {We are 2 ppl travelling}
2. What are the best places to visit there and best possible transport.
I would be staying in companys guest house in Twickenham TW2 6JL

Thanks in advance

by hawkhead

If you book well enough in advance, Midland Mainline have £7 one way tickets (that's £14 return) from Nottingham to London. Also, the coach from Nottingham to London is a cheap way to travel.

by St_Vincent

The train does seem quickest and cheapest although you might not have enough time to get the really cheap fares.

Take a look at www.nationalexpress.com , you can get a coach from Nottingham to Victoria in London for around £30 return each, it will take around 3.5 hours. To get from there to Twickenham take the Victoria Line underground to Vauxhall then catch a train to Twickenham.

Cheers
Clive

by leics

www.nationalrail.co.uk will give you all train times and fares. You can book the cheapest ticket in advance online (if your address and credit card are acceptable) and then collect the ticket from a 'Fast Ticket' machine at the London station (you must have the same credit card with you, and your printed confirmation). Many people prefer to use www.thetrainline.com for buying tickets, although prices are the same. However, these cheap fares only apply to certain train times, not all. You can buy ordinary tickets from the station on the day with no problem.

www.nationalexpress.com is the main coach service. Fares are usually cheaper than by train, but the journey time is longer. You can book tickets online (most people do) or you could buy them from Victoria coach station if you want (preferably in advance, to be sure of a seat).

Nottingham would not be somewhere I'd bother to visit, but perhaps you have a particular reason for going there? http://www.visitnottingham.com/ is the official tourist information site, which gives ideas on what to see and do. Look at the VT Nottingham pages too, for ideas and tips. Your transport options whilst in the city will be bus or taxi, (the website above has a journey planner, if you need it).

Nottingham, by the way, is not in the middle of Sherwood Forest (or any forest), nor does it have a Medieval castle (it was destroyed in the English Civil War and replaced with a mansion in 1674).

by leics

Ignore most of my reply, apart from the coach bit. Got the wrong end of the stick and thought you were going the other way. Or something.

Still half-asleep! :-(

by Rachello

The national express coaches will save you a lot more than if you got a train. They depart from Broadmarsh and if you get a funfare ticket in advance, you can go to london for as little as £5pp. However the funfare tickets are non-refundable but definatly worth it, especially if you already have a set date for it.

obviously you've got to see westminster abbey, houses of parliment and the big ben. These are in westminster and is about a 5-10 minuter walk from the coach station.

Travel Tips for Nottingham

The Arboretum

by raquelitalarga

This is a beautiful park (tram stops near gates) with a small lake, an aviary, bell tower and bandstand. The arboretum was opened in 1852 so trees are mature specimens from all over the world. Flower beds are well maintained with a quiet rose garden being my favourite spot. In the summer months a number of festivals take place and on sunny days it's full of students from the nearby university.

Comments