Unicorn Hotel

Satisfaction Average

More about Nottingham

bust of JP Baileybust of JP Bailey

Old Market SquareOld Market Square

Detail from a Fothergill building, George StreetDetail from a Fothergill building, George Street

Wollaton ParkWollaton Park

anyone been to the Antique fair in Newark?

by johnandlynclarke

I just found the antique fair listed for Feb 3rd in Newark...we are delighted. Has anyone attended one of the antique fairs in winter? Are most of the exhibitors inside the buildings or do they use the outside spaces too? I am trying to decide if we should pack our longjohns!
Thanks
Lyn

by wctryltd

newark is a wonderful town - great castle, really great center of town. i listed a restaurant on my newark page (can't remember the name off hand).

my friends go to the antique fair - i believe it is inside and massive. make reservation for hotel now if possible. easy to get around - i think newark has two train stations?

newark will be cold when you go - bring your longjohns.

-bill

by BerniShand

definately the longjohns, double thermals and anything that is warm enough for the North face of the Eiger will just about keep you warm enough
the exhibitore are inside and outside [ outside is usually better for bargains]
go as early as you can, its a massive fair, in fact I find it too big to get around in one day
eat an early lunch, the queues for food are horrendous
if you can take a thermos flask of hot drinks

happy bargaining

by johnandlynclarke

Thanks!! OK, we will pack the longjohns. My friend, Carol and I are delighted...our husbands are a little less enthused but you watch...they will be the ones who will spend the most money.

One question- do you pronounce Newark as new-werk or new-ark? My husband initially came from Newark (new-ark), DE. I don't want to sound like a ***.

I couldn't find your Newark page, where should I look?
We are staying in Oakham so we should find time to go to Birmingham, Stoke on Trent, Nottingham/ Newark, Liverpool, and my husband is thinking about that area in the lake area that looks like a moonscape. Ant other suggestion?

Thanks, Lyn

by BerniShand

new werk is best

try to include Chatsworth House in Derbyshire, its one of our lovliest stately homes, there are lots of great places to visit in the areas you mention, cant think where the lunar landscape you mention is in the Lake District is though

by Sjalen

Yes it has two railway stations. Newark Castlegate and Newark North Gate. I've run between them to catch trains between London/York and Lincoln :-)))

by Sjalen

Oh we're all posting simultaneously...

I'd recommend Lincoln! Very underestimated English cathedral city with a dramatic setting in the otherwise flat landscape. They also have one of the Magna Carta copies in the castle...since you like antiques :-)

Moon landscape??? Wonder where that is. But since you seem to want to do a bit of driving around, I can recommend the North York Moors national park. The only lunar thing about that is the Ministry of Defence's "golf balls" out in the heather but it looks more like a Star Wars vessel these days :-))) But seriously, there are places like the coastal village Robin Hood's Bay and the TV village of Goathland as well as the chocolate box village Thornton-le-Dale there. Oh, and Dracula's and Captain Cook's town of Whitby.

by johnandlynclarke

You are right! I checked with my husband last night. The moonscape he was referring to is the North York moors. I will have to go over to www.theaa.com and see how far it is from Oakham. Sometimes we are over ambitious with our travel plans because we can travel so quickly in the states. But, he has spoken of this area several times which must mean that he was taken with it...so we will probbly go there.
Thanks for everyone's responses. I put the longjohns in the packing pile last night.

pronouncing newark

by wctryltd

one last thing on pronouncing newark - from an american's point of view.

the english pronounce it "new_ark_K" with a strong sort of interesting punch on the K - almost like a click. At least the native newarks do.

Also, my friend who grew up there told me (i think he was serious) that newark was originally populated by gypsy? and that vestiges of their language persists in local slang. I don't know if that is true or not.

-bill

Re: pronouncing newark

by Sjalen

Haha, so it WAS the North York Moors :-))) Well I have not got enough words for the place. My page on it is far from finished but I also have a page on Robin Hood's Bay with more pictures. You really should go!

I also forgot to mention Beverley (see page) which could be a good stop on the way!

RE: RE: anyone been to the Antique fair in Newark?

by iwys

You are right about Lincoln. It tends to get overlooked by tourists, but the Da Vinci Code being filmed there might help to change that!

RE: anyone been to the Antique fair in Newark?

I think so too!

Travel Tips for Nottingham

Home of Cricket in the Midlands

by amsterdam_vallon

Trent Bridge is a Test cricket ground located in West Bridgford, Nottingham, England and is also the headquarters of Nottinghamshire County Cricket Club. One of the oldest cricket grounds in Britain, it was opened in 1838

It's one of the four ground use for test cricket in England.

It's also the third oldest ground behind Lord's (London) and Eden Gardens (Calcutta).

Even for the people who are not familliar with the game of cricket, Trent Bridge is worth seeing for the historical. For cricket fans Trent Bridge is probably the equivalent of the Montreal Forum (hockey) or the Yankees Stadium (baseball).

You can learn more about Trent Bridge in my travelogue : History of Trent Bridge

Royal Children

by iwys

The Royal Children in Castle Gate is one of several historically interesting pubs in the Nottingham Castle area. It reputedly takes its name from the fact that royal children, staying at the castle, played with the innnkeeper's children here. The particular royal children in question were the grandchildren of King James II. His daughter, Princess Anne stayed in th castle, with her children, in 1688.

Inside the pub there is the shoulder blade of a whale, which once hung outside, advetising the fact that whale oil was sold here. The Royal Children was one of the first places in Nottingham to use oil lamps rather than candles.

American style diner

by PavlH about Frankie & Benny's

I had breakfast there on a Sunday morning.
It was quiet - I was the first customer of the day.
The service was friendly and the food was good - fair portions at a reasonable price.
I would certainly return - and I'm fussy!
There was a problem with the coffee machine so I had juice instead - when they fixed the machine, they gave me a coffee free to make up for it.
They even brought me over a newspaper to read as I alone. Well cooked breakfast - choose 6 items from the menu for ý3.95.

Robin Hood Statue

by nylo

The Robin Hood statue is on the lower level next to Nottingham Castle, which is just on the outskirts of the city centre (behind the Robin Hood exhibition). its just the statue with some plaques on the walls with some pictures & information about the history of Robin Hood

BREWHOUSE YARD MUSEUM

by tkdqueen

The Museum of Nottingham Life
0115 915 3600
Open all year except Xmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day
(Please note that access to the school room and toy shop may not always be available).
Weekdays FREE, weekends and Bank Hols £1.50 adults, 80p conc.
Family Ticket £3.80 (2 adults & up to 4 children). Group rate: one free ticket for every ten tickets purchased.

Comments