Clumber Park Regal Hotel

Travelocity Booking.com eDreams

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Clumber Park Regal Hotel

Great location otherwise disappointing ...

by TripAdvisor Member maythorne

We looked for a hotel out of Nottingham but within easy reach of major roads. The Clumber Park Hotel met those requirements and is opposite a lovely national park.
The hotel is currently under-going refurbishment and our room was along a corridor that we shared with builders and tradesmen. All day you could hear banging and knocking and smell paint and dust. We decided to leave but the hotel owner interevened and offered us a reduced rate to stay. At the time we had been driving all day and it was pouring with rain so we did stay though, with hindsight, we should have gone.
After unpacking, I went to use the toilet in the room, to find it hadn't been cleaned since the previous occupant (very unpleasant, believe me ...)
The room itself was OK though the bed was too soft, pillows too hard. The major problem however, was the heat. The room was very hot and didn't have a/c. Unfortunately, opening the window wasn't really an option because road noise was so bad. It was impossible to sleep at night.
This hotel has the potential to be very good but, at the moment, it needs some tweaking.

Blissful Weekend

by TripAdvisor Member alanmcgregor

My partner and I visited the hotel on the weekend of the opening of the new Spa Facility, we both booked in for a Shoulder and Neck massage which was wonderful and had a swim and took advantage of the sauna and steam room, topped off with a dip in the hot tub. The SpA staff are very professional and attentive.

I passed on the english breakfast and had a perfectly cooked smoked haddock and poached egg, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and look forward to returning soon

Luxurious.....

by TripAdvisor Member Eingle

Lovely hotel - great location near the Park! Staff friendly, spa great for being pampered! The hot stones massage is a must! Food in the restaurant was excellent and good value for money - highly recommended!

Worst Weekend Ever (Avoid this Hotel at all costs!!)

by TripAdvisor Member baayed

DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL, unless you like bad rooms, awful service and food poisoning.

I was looking to take my fiancée away for a romantic weekend to celebrate her birthday.

We traveled in the beginning of November 2008, having recently read some of the varied reviews of this Hotel I thought I would add my experience.

How wrong I was choosing this Hotel. I booked this after seeing an offer on travel zoo who I have used a number of times before and always been happy with the destinations in the uk and Europe. I booked a 2 night stay including a number of treatments and breakfast and dinner for both nights.

Upon arrival I was a little disappointed with the look of the hotel, there as a reason why there are no pictures looking from the front of the Hotel, it is situated right on a main road with heavy traffic throughout the day.

Reception was no better, the lady on reception was more interested in talking to her college then helping us check in. I had pre-booked our evening meal in their Brasserie restaurant only for them not have any record of it.

We then found our way to our room only for the Key not to work, I walked back to reception to find that the receptionist forgot to activate it. She then activated it and proceeded to throw it back across the desk to me without saying a word.

The newly refurbished upgraded room:
the toilet roll holder had fallen off the wall and was lying upside down on the floor,
the wardrobe (from the 80's) doors wouldn't close, and the radiator whistled constantly.
I can honestly say that this room was below a 2 star standard.

We then proceed to have dinner in the Court Yard restaurant. After finding a clean table after 3 attempts I proceed to order 2 drinks. I didn't mind the price as this what I expected, however, after waiting 20 mins for them to arrive I was annoyed at paying £10. We ordered to simple meal pork chop and mash and a burger and chips, surprisingly this took another 40 mins to arrive and was by far the worst meal I have ever had in a hotel. My Pork was pink and blood was coming out, and my partners burger was so cold the cheese hadn't even defrosted!!! Her chips were ok so we just shared them.

We were not the only ones to be disappointed, several tables left while we were waiting for our dinner (some didn't even ask for a refund because they were so keen to leave!). The restaurant was not even busy.

When we asked to complain to the chef but we were told that we would have to wait a while as she was busy dealing with other complaints!!

Following a near fatal meal, I had arranged for us to have a romantic dip in the hot tub with a bottle of champagne (£50), you will be able to see a picture of this on their website. Again, this was not a nice experience. The champagne was just dumped on the side with a cork screw?

The hot tub was freezing cold, I asked the engineer politely if it was going to get hotter so we could stay in, he replied 'it on full, what do you want me to do?' He then decided that it would be ok to shout and swear at me when I asked him to put his hand in and see if he thinks that it's even warm! Not a relaxing evening.

So we decided to go into the indoors swimming pool to warm up. In fairness this part of the hotel was modern, although not any different from any gym / pool you would find at any Hilton hotel.

After this nightmare evening we spoke to the restaurant manager to ask for a refund for the Hot (cold) tub and the poisonous meal. The manager was very apologetic and somewhat embarrassed.

The following morning we decided to give the hotel another chance.

We went down for breakfast and again it was a disaster, the staff were extremely rude, the waitress actually skidded my knife across the table with her delicate manner and serving skills!

The food was inedible, and again everyone around us was complaining and sending back uncooked food.

At that point we decided to leave. After asking to speak to the manager we were informed that no one was sure what time he would be in, as he 'comes and goes and he pleases'. So they sent the spar manager (and wife of the polite engineer) to help us resolve the issues.

She was very helpful and did ask us to stay for some treatments before we left. We decided that we couldn't bare another second an left a day early.

I was promised a call or a letter from the manager but surprisingly I have not heard from him.

Don't go there it really is the worst place I have ever stayed in by a very long way.. Don't be fouled by good reviews, I wouldn't stay there again for free!!!

Comments