Enstone, Chipping Norton, Chipping Norton, OX7 5UE, United Kingdom
Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Heythrop Park Resort, Golf & Country Club

Good place to stay if you don't pay too much

We stayed at Heythrop Park for two nights to attend the European Eventing Championships at Blenheim Palace and found it very well placed to attend the event.

We paid only £86 per night for the both of us with full english breakfast. We stayed in an Archer bedroom which ajoined the main house and were pleasantly surprised after reading some of the reviews on this website.

The bedroom was small but clean, as was the bathroom. We ate dinner in the restaurant on the first night of our stay (£27 per head for a 3 course meal) and the service was just okay the food being the same. Eat early as as soon as the restaurant gets more than a handful of people in the staff seem to struggle.

As for breakfast, this consisted of buffet style english along side continental. Again the service was slow for tea and coffee but the food was quite nice. Eat early if possible as the fresh fruit and fruit juice had run out by 8:45 on a saturday morning.

Overal we had an enjoyable stay, and thought that Heythrop Park was quite beautiful.

Give it a try. You will not be disappointed . . .

Give it a try. You will not be disappointed. . .if you book in the Main House. Other reviewers, to be fair, may not have done. See images.

I would like to express my thanks to the management and staff at Heythrop Park Golf and Country Club, Enstone, following our recent stay.

I first visited this 'venue' in the late eighties whilst an employee with National Westminster Bank. Recently when surfing the net for a hotel to spend our anniversary at I noticed that it has now become a hotel. When my wife enquired what it was like before, I could not remember a thing about it. So, we have now revisited and we are delighted to report that it fully meets the promise of that invitation we have all seen before: “You’ve seen the rest, now try the best” and for us, from recent experience, this hotel fully delivers on that promise.

Although part of the business remains conferences and training it is fair to say that the Bank has long gone and I wholeheartedly recommend everyone who reads this letter to give it a try. You will not be disappointed

Beware!! Terrible hotel and unprofessional staff!! Do not stay here!!

Heythrop Park Hotel is BY FAR the worst establishment I have ever visited -- in fact, we did not even stay there in the end, we left instead. Driving 2 hours back to London seemed a better way to spend our evening than one night in this shabby excuse for a hotel.

We booked this hotel before looking at the reviews (which are less than complimentary). Upon visiting the hotel website, it looked beautiful. Amazing grounds, gorgeous rooms. What the hotel does not mention, and I soon after discovered from the multiple negative reviews from other visitors to the hotel, is that there is a 'new' section built onto the hotel which is of much lower standards (maybe 2-star, at best).

I felt, considering that my reservation stated 4-star, that we would be placed into a room in the main part of the hotel. No questions. However, this was not the case when we arrived. Instead, we were placed into a horrible room which looked much like university accommodation at a polytechnic!! They did not even provide complimentary shampoo/conditioner OR even soap!! Plus, the room's door had paint peeling off of it and the coffee cups weren't even clean. Incredible.

So, I personally went down to the reception desk and after speaking to the manager on duty, was told that all of the 4-star rooms were booked up with a wedding and that is why we were placed in a lesser room. Although she was sorry, she did NOTHING to help with the situation. I went back to the room and my partner and I decided that we would just leave and return to London as the hotel was THAT bad.

Since that horrible experience, I have been in contact with the General Manager of the hotel who has been extremely useless. I have sent TWO letters and each time he has responded with a very lame excuse. Again, incredible.

Having sought legal advice from a friend, this hotel is clearly contradicting the Trades Description's Act -- they have misrepresented their hotel by claiming it is a 4-star yet putting their paying guests into 2-star accommodation.

If you don't want your weekend to be ruined, not to mention the petrol you will waste travelling to the hotel, I would definitely NOT stay here! It is a complete waste of money and time.

If you are looking for a lovely hotel, which doesn't lie about its rooms, try Coombe Abbey. Now, that's a great hotel experience! Heythrop Park is a literal joke!

Not what it seems

The grounds and the main house at heythrop are visually stunning, but things are not all they seem. We booked via the internet and paid 208 pounds on a b&b basis for two nights. We were told that we were in the falcon wing and were given general directions on how to find it by the receptionist, who although was pleasant, did not seem to speak english very well. It took us about ten minutes to locate our room having
wandered down several long corridors. At the price we paid we were not expecting anything to grand but I have to say our room was a huge dissapointment. There were no drawers so most of my clothes had to be kept on the back of a chair, there was no information about the hotel, there was hardley any milk on the tea tray and the position of our room on the ground floor meant we had to keep the curtains closed or people could see straight into our room.
Breakfast on saturday morning was a wonderful experience as there were not many people in the dining room. The food was hot and plentiful and the waitress was very attentive. Sunday morning however was a different manner. There had been a wedding on the saturday night and this meant the restaurant was full. We were asked to come back later so after waiting for half an hour we went back only to endure another ten minute wait to be seated. Whilst i was waiting in line for my breakfast the waitress took my coffeee and fruit juice because she thought we had gone, it then took another ten minutes for her to understand that I needed another cup and saucer.
There are no draught beers available in the very small bar and by the time you have walked there from falcon wing you are desparately in need of a drink. The price for a short boarders on the obscence, my husband had a double vodka and orange juice which cost nine pounds, excessive by anyones standards.
The grounds are beautiful and we were lucky that the weather was very nice.
If you do chose to stay here try the crown puub which is left at the end of the drive the food is wonderful, good value for money and the staff are very friendly and all speak clear english.
As for heythrop park I think there are far nicer hotels in the area and that they could try harder to look after single travellers instead of lavishing all their efforts on corprate events.

mutton dressed as lamb, general poor service, architectural disaster zone, an example of how not to extend a country hall

by TripAdvisor Member remoh

Start to drive down the long winding drive through some nice woodland, it all starts to go a bit wrong when we start noticing some very grim looking 1960's / 1970s university style concrete buildings, as we get closer to the house, these get worse until you see one building bolted onto the side of the country hall with obviously no planning laws at the time it was done...... The words that prince charles once used "monsterous carbuncle" came to mind....Its awful, get a really nice country hall and bolt onto it a concrete extension that would look at home in a run down area of East London where councils are actively pulling such things down....

Check into the hotel, after having to repeat myself about twice to the reception staff, neither of which would appear to have english as their mothertongue, get directed to the archer rooms....Think nothing off it at this stage but get sent on a 6 minute walk with no help with our luggage or anything through the hotel to our room, i start to notice the surroundings getting shabbier and shabbier, until they start reminding me of my grim university with shabby looking paintwork, doors all marked, generally tired decor, so in a few steps we've talked from the grandeur of a country hall to the grim reality of a creaking university... A complete lack of staff in the building as well to ask for directions, finally find the room.........which.......resembled to me a travellodge or a holiday inn express.......Now when we phoned we werent told that this was in this awful annex all this way from the main hotel, and to be frank if i want to stay in a travellodge style room, i would book into one, end of story......So i phone reception and first get one of our eastern european friends who basically can't understand a word of what I'm saying, and thus i ask to speak to someone that basically can understand me and preferably a manager.....I speak to the manager who starts to try and palm me off saying that is wha we'd booked but she suddnely went all quiet when i politely informed her we werent given a choice......Finally she starts to find us a room in the main part of the building in the main hotel, but alas she wants another £40 which we refuse to pay, finally she gave us a room in the main part of the hotel that didnt have a view but was of a better quality....however to be honest, as someone that spends a lot of time in hotels, I'd really query the value of this hotel in general, its devoid of the pampering that other hotels of this country hall style offer, generally devoid of staff and those that are there find it hard to understand what customers are saying, employing labour from eastern europe is one thing, getting staff that understand your customers needs is another..........

All in all, would rather stay at a pub down the road next time i'm there, its not even mutton dressed as lamb, completely overrrated, breakfast was nothing special either, no breakfast to the room, and generally a pile of grease....

This establishment has a lot to learn, its surroundings prohibit it from delivering a country house experience and will for me always continue to do so as long as the (nearly called it a campus here!) surroundings continue to resemble a dodgy 1960's/70's polytechnic university....none of this is on their site strangely enough...

Fantastic Hotel for the Price

Please ignore the negative reviews of this hotel. My fiance and I stayed for one night in the new part of the hotel, which is an extension from the old building. Simple but nice and clean hotel room with power shower, tv etc. The breakfast was wonderful and at normal times which allowed a bit of a lie in. Set in acres of beautiful scenery and has a variety of leisure facilities. I do not advise getting a taxi at night to Chipping Norton though as it cost £17 for a 7 minute drive one way - which we thought was rather pricey. Other than the taxi problem I would highly recommend this hotel. The staff were very friendly and more than happy to help. I will definately be staying here again and will tell my family and friends about this Hotel.

Quite dissapointing

by TripAdvisor Member pinkfizz

We stayed here over the weekend, with our 4month old. There is no denying that the grounds and main building are very grand and impressive. Unfortunately the majority of rooms are located quite a trek away in a depressingly ugly concrete building.

When booking we requested a cot in the room, 2 days before we arrived I called to confirm that would would have one, but no sign of one when we (finally) got to the room(at 8pm-his bedtime) . We called reception- she said there was no record of the request, but she would contact house keeping. It finally arrived 1 hour later. The house keeping staff were very polite and attentive though.

Would have been nice to have had a mini bar,some hotel info, and a few toiletries in the shower room (shampoo/conditioner/shower cap), but the room was clean, bed large and they had pay per view movies.

The breakfast was good, but a long wait due to a wedding....

a shame. lovely setting. stuck in 1965

by TripAdvisor Member robbiecdude

A shame.

A fantastic setting, lovely grounds, nice breakfast, dinner menu etc..

The problem.. the rooms.. I didnt even have a bath.. come on, stately home setting and no bath.. Foi gra on menu and a room the size of a postage stamp!

You get what you paid for is suppose.. i paid £100 per room (not lots i agree) but the rooms were awful.. 2 star standard. I've travelled all over the world and these were a real let-down after the entrance, and expectations given.

Also.. if your heading for woodstock... it says its local to Blenheim Palace. It is (he says sarcastically!).. to the cost of £50 return! it has a two mile driveway.. slightly important thing to overlook dont you think!

Only had one of my rooms ready on arrival.. as they were 'busy'.. like thats my fault!? No dinner after 9.30, even though half the hotel were going to a concert not ending till 10.30? No extra provisions made, which seemed silly, when everyone else in oxford was prepared! Bar open late, but very slow staff. Helpful(ish) recpetion.

So grand, so near and yet.. so far...

Pick somewhere else, until they update the rooms

Wedding fantastic, hotel OK

by TripAdvisor Member lozza60

We have just returned from Heythrope after attending my best friends wedding. Our room was Longview in the old part of the house and was very nice with great bathroom, however considering what we paid our own small hotel in Inverness has better towels/robes/tvs/dvd/hairdryer and luggage rack.

Breakfast was awful as they cater for mass production and what I hear from other guests the new wing was terrible.

However Kates wedding was fabulous due not only to the Heyhtrope staff, especially the toast master whose name escapes me but he is about 7 foot tall. But also her fantastic ideas. A pianist with champagne on arrival, string duet over a lovely dinner and jazz band in the evening. We had fire works and mulled win in the garden at 9 which was fab. It is a great venue for a wedding if you can stay in the old house.

Its a Conference Centre not a hotel

by TripAdvisor Member rackyc

I got a very cheap deal on Lastminute and had read the reviews so I knew exactly what i was getting. Also we just used it as a base for in-law visiting.

Its a beautiful house, the pool is great as is the golf course. It is not a hotel though it is a conference centre. When we were there it was full of "wealth creation" people. So if you are looking for a romantic break go somewhere else otherwise its ok.

Comments