Barcelo Oxford

The Oxford Hotel
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

More about Barcelo Oxford

Reasonable hotel, if you get a good deal

Just got back from a 2 night stay at the Paramount Oxford. Room was ready when we arrived a little early (1pm) and the service was pleasant & prompt. Room was fairly small for 2 & the bed seemed small. Decor was fine, but the aircon not working so the room was hot & as on the ground floor we didn't want to leave the window open all night.

We walked straight into Oxford & I would argue its over 3 miles to the city centre rather than the 1.5 - 2 miles claimed on the website. Got bus or taxi after the first walk!.

Breakfast was good, standard hotel choice. Could have done with a little more fresh fruit / cereal choices. Didn't have dinner in the hotel - went into Oxford & the Trout Inn (about a mile away) one night - which i would recommend

We paid £80 per night for room & breakfast, good at this price but I wouldn't want to pay much more. Probably a better choice for a business traveller than a romantic or family break.

great stay

by TripAdvisor Member triplannermother

Stayed at the Oxford for two nights on 23rd February. After reading some of the previous reviews was worried. But we had a great stay here, staff all very pleasant and helpful, service first class. Food in restaurant all very good from breakfasts to dinners. Lovely big comfy bed!!

This hotel made me ill!

by TripAdvisor Member Archsweet

The hotel itself was fine but the airconditioning/ heating, which had been switched on before I checked into my room, crippled me.

The room was like a desert - hot and dry. By midnight I had lost my voice. I switched off the aircon but it was too late. By the time I got up next day to deliver a day of training I felt like I'd spent a month in the foreign legion.

Returning for my second night I switched off the aircon instantly on reaching the room but I had badly swollen throat and no voice.

Gym etc, room, service, facilities, food, all fine, but I spent 2 mights without sleep becaise of the aircon. Don't go here if you need your voice for work!

A great weekend break.

Got a good deal on the internet for this hotel, booked only a week before. Hotel was spacious, airy and very clean. All staff members were friendly and efficient. Only a 5 minute taxi ride into the centre and costs the same as taking the bus! We would definitely stay here again.

Stay ruined by Paramount's penny-pinching

by TripAdvisor Member DB007

I've stayed at this hotel several times since its refurbishment and it's basically a glorified Travelodge. Don't expect beatiful views of Oxford, it's on a roundabout next to the dual carriageway and the view from most of the rooms seems to be the brick wall of the adjoining accomodation block. Having said that, as a functional hotel and a base for Oxford it's perfectly adequate.

I stayed at the hotel again several weeks ago on a golf break, having prepaid for dinner, bed and breakfast. This was the first time I'd eaten dinner at the hotel and it was pretty awful. So much so that after the first night we opted to eat elsewhere, even though we had already paid for the hotel dinner. If you're on the dinner rate there are a limited number of choices available, all of which are listed at massively inflated prices on the menu. My first gripe was that at the end of dinner I was asked to sign off on the bill, which should only have included drinks and supplements (as everything else was prepaid). The bill was actually over £200 as all the prepaid food items had been included as if we were paying for those as well but the waiter reassured me that all of the prepaid items would be taken off the bill when we checked out, leaving us with the bill for drinks and supplements. As I pointed out at the time, it was pointless signing for an imaginary sum that I wasn't going to have to pay for anyway.

When we checked out we were presented with a bill for £400 which included accomodation charges. We explained that we had prepaid but the hotel claimed they didn't have our records. We eventually managed to produce our own copies of our receipts and the hotel eventually acknowledged that we had paid and waived the room charges. However, the bill also contained incorrect food charges, mainly as a result of the illogical way the prepaid food is included in the bill. We had a ten minuite argument about that and it was eventually removed. Finally, the bill was looking more sensible until I realised that we had each been charged £3 per night for parking our cars in the car park on each night. We hadn't been informed of this charge in advance, reception had asked whether we had cars when we checked in but had not informed us of the charge, the charge isn't mentioned on the car park ticket and it doesn't appear on their website. I can understand paying a charge to stay in a hotel in the middle of a town where space is at a premium but at a hotel next to a roundabout and a dual carriageway where residents of the hotel need a car to get to the hotel? It's not the amount of the charge but the fact that it is effectively a hidden charge which is sprung on you as you check out. I wouldn't have paid but for the fact that the car park has a security gate which you need a key card to open and there was no way they were going to give me the key card unless I paid.

After a long argument with the manageress we decided to pay, probably as a result of being worn down by half an hour of arguing about their previous errors. The manager was adamant that the car park charge was correctly signed and explained there was a sign outside the car park with details of the charge. I checked this as I drove out and, to be fair, there is a sign saying "Car Park £3" outside the car park. Unfortunately it's on the other side of the road to the ticket barrier which means that if you're driving you're probably going to miss it because you're trying to work out how to access the ticket barrier. That was the first time I had seen the sign and I think that even if I had seen it earlier I would have assumed that as a hotel resident paying full rate I would be exempt from this charge.

The manageress who dealt with us was surly and unhelpful throughout. Although admitting that they had tried to overcharge us by £400 at their mistake, she wasn't prepared to offer anything in recompense.

The car parking charging policy is new and if enough people complain I assume they will change it. Shame, because this isn't a bad hotel, just run very very badly.

During the spring boat race (torpids)During the spring boat race (torpids)

Thames and Port MeadowThames and Port Meadow

Radcliffe Camera and Sheldonian TheatreRadcliffe Camera and Sheldonian Theatre

Back of the'Perch'Back of the'Perch'

Transport Oxford to Longworth

by celtic10

Hi
I am travelling from Birmingham to Oxford and on to Longworth, can anyone suggest whether it would be best to do the journey by train or coach to Birmingham and then is there a bus that goes into Longworth, if so could you please advise where I will find details.

Also is there any budget priced accommodation around or near Longworth.
Cheers

by tango_jd

This might help.

I am pretty sure I haven't heard of direct links to Longworth from Birmingham.

by leics

You can take bus or train to Oxford, as you say.....bus will be slower but cheaper.

www.nationalrail.co.uk

www.nationalexpress.com

Then take the bus Tango links to Longworth. Note that it only runs on certain weekdays. It's around 11.5 miles, so a taxi won't be hugely expensive (but won't be cheap either).

I very much doubt there is any budget accomm in or around Longworth, although there is a b&b in the village:

and another one '10 minutes walk from Longworth':

Probably best to look at a hostel in Oxford: www.hostelworld.com and www.hostelbookers.com or look for hotels/b&bs on the official Oxford/shire tourist info site:

and on www.booking.com

by cubsur

Longworth is but a speck on the map.

The bus mentioned in the post above is the only bus at Longworth but the nearby village of Southmoor(about 2 miles)has a much more frequent service to and from Oxford(every half hour for much of the day) on the Stagecoach route 66 that runs between Oxford (Gloucster Green Bus Station)and Swindon via Faringdon

Sorry I cannot help with accommodation at Longworth. You could also search at Southmoor and Kingston Bagpuize, both close by.

Comments