Marlborough House

321 Woodstock Road, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX2 7NY, United Kingdom
Marlborough House Hotel
Booking.com AMOMA.com Priceline.com

More about Marlborough House

A comfortable stay with excellent service

by TripAdvisor Member Stevie86

A friend of mine whom I was visiting booked this B&B for me and the hotel is not far from the city centre and value for money. It is one of the most luxurious bed and breakfast establishments. The rooms were of good size and equipped with modern conveniences; wireless internet, as well as color television, and elegant furnishings. The breakfasts were top notch, and the variable breakfast time was a blessing after being forced to rise too early many mornings. There is a bus stop right opposite the hotel which has regular bus services to and fro from the town centre. The staff was particularly friendly and welcoming. The ensuite bathroom is of good size and very clean. . On the whole, a nice hotel with excellent hospitality and reasonable value for money and yes, if I go back to Oxford I would stay there again.

very comfortable bed and breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member tripplanner101

we stayed at this bed and breakfast for our son;s graduation from oxford. It is a very comfortable bed and breakfast. the room was extra large for three . In addition to a large double bed and twin bed, the room had a refrigerator and microwave. Milk , juice and yogurt were available. The delicious breakfast was brought to our room each morning. The full english was good. (scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, beans, toast. )you can also order a continental breakfast with cheese, toast, yogurt.
The hotel is right across the street from the bus stop (bus to oxford city center). There are a couple of restaurants and pubs nearby. The staff is friendly , and the price is reasonable for oxford. We paid 100 pounds for a triple room in the summer.
We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Stay Away! (if you don't believe us, look at the pictures)

by TripAdvisor Member SherlockB

After reading the below Tripadvisor reviews, we decided to book a room at the Marlborough House for one night in early September during our 10-day tour of England. We are still shocked that this place was given such high ratings because we found it to be filthy (bathroom, carpet, stained sheets, etc.). The room was so dirty (see pictures), my wife sat on her suitcase and cried.

We were so surprised by the discrepancies between the below reviews and what we found upon our arrival that we walked to a local internet cafe 1) to make sure we had read the right reviews (i.e., not another place's reviews) and 2) to attempt to book a room at another place for the evening (we were even willing to eat the 90 pounds we pre-paid for the night). Unfortunately, the other affordable (i.e., not $400 USD+ a night) hotels and B&Bs were either booked or could not be reached due to the late hour at which we were attempting this (8 p.m.). So we held our noses literally (the whole place stank of whatever the owners were cooking) and figuratively and suffered through a night at the Marlborough House.

If you don't believe us, look at the pictures.

In addition, we chose the early (7:30-8:00) slot for breakfast (which is served to your room), but as of 8:01, the breakfast had not been served, so not wanting to stay another minute at the MH, we checked out and left.

The one nice thing we can say was that the staff member we dealt with was friendly and helpful and providing us information about Oxford (before we were shown our room).

Was perfect for us

by TripAdvisor Member MarianneCalifornia

The Marlborough House was perfect for us. Though a little difficult to find when first driving into Oxford, a good map would have remedied that (and you absolutely need a good map to navigate Oxford and the Cottswald towns). We got a map the next day.
This B & B hotel was very clean, the room spacious, the skylight in the bath was lovely, the breakfast was delicious, and the surrounding neighborhood was quiet and very pleasant. We were so glad that another hotel in the middle of Oxford that was recommended to us was full, because it was in a much noisier area. Oxford is very interesting but full of shoppers, chain stores and other traffic. We were grateful to leave the crowds and relax about a mile down the road from downtown. (we walked to town in the morning and took a quick bus back in the afternoon.) The staff was particularly professional and kind. This is a good place to stay to drive off for the day to the Blenheim Palace or the towns of Stow in Wold or Chipping Camden. These towns are easy to get to from here (with a good map) and you can enjoy the country scenery as you drive. Luck was on our side when my daughter and I found the Marlborough House at the last minute.

Good value for price

by TripAdvisor Member njonyva

We were almost deterred by the very negative review we saw here from earlier this year, but found our room truly excellent. If you're looking for a posh hotel, this is not the place for you; it's more along the lines of a BB. This said, it's excellent value for the money and exactly what my family was looking for. It's much more private than the average BB experience because of the en suite bathroom and private breakfast, without losing the BB feel of the friendly staff and common area (though no one seemed to use it while we were there).

The room itself was huge by European standards (we had a room with a single large bed on the ground floor). It had enough space for the bed and furniture, plus a table and chairs and a little kitchenette (sink, fridge, tea kettle, coffee pot, plates, silverware) stocked with complimentary snacks and drinks. Because we were traveling with a small child and there's nothing nearby in the way of dining, this was perfect for bringing home snacks and having them for lunch/dinner/snack. One had a choice of English breakfast, vegetarian English breakfast, or continental which was brought to the room at a choice of times. Everything seemed extremely clean and well-maintained, especially considering people eat in the rooms. No evidence in our room of the photos we had seen here. And free wireless, too!

In terms of transportation, it is not in the center of Oxford, but about 2 miles north. We came by the airport bus from Gatwick, which was very easy and took a taxi from the center of town to the hotel. Once at the hotel, we realized that the #6 bus leaves from just across the street and goes directly into town, so it was a very easy and short trip, which we took regularly afterward. I walked it once, but it was a bit of a hike.

All in all, we were extremely pleased by the Marlborough House and would definitely stay here again.

Friendly staff

by TripAdvisor Member Webrarian

I was booked in here by a company. Having read the negative and positive reviews I wasn't quite sure what to believe, but as I wasn't paying myself and the company had a good reputation, I wasn't too worried.

You can walk here from the city centre. It's level and the main Woodstock Road is not so busy that it's unpleasant. It took me about 40 minutes. There are plenty of buses up the Woodstock Road and a stop right outside.

The welcome from Raj was warm and friendly. He took great pains to take me to my room (12, on the top floor) and ensured that I understood the arrangements for breakfast, what I could use from the fridge without paying for it, and whether the towels were where they should be.

The room was significantly larger than I anticipated with a small kitchenette area (sink, fridge, microwave, kettle, cupboards with crockery and cutlery). I've seen this arrangement in the US, but never in the the UK in this way.

The rooms could do with redecoration and show their age, but they are perfectly adequate and clean by UK standards. The TV was elderly but worked OK. The room had a nice view over the rear garden (back yard) and was very quiet. The heating didn't come on until about 6pm but the room wasn't cold without it. The bed was comfortable. It was nice to be able to open a window. A room fan was provided for hot weather.

The English breakfast next morning comprised sausage, scrambled egg, bacon rashers, baked beans, hash brown and one slice of each brown and white toast. It is brought to the room as there is no main eating area. Tea, coffee, hot chocolate, fresh milk, cereals and a litre carton of orange juice were already in the room.

The bathroom was quite adequate. There are obviously problems with humidity and some small areas where black mould has been allowed to collect in the past. But this isn't dirt, as such, just more evidence of a need for redecoration in a country which has more than its fair share of rain. The shower, again, was adequate. Not powerful but wet and warm.

I didn't use the free WiFi service, but it was the first time I'd come across a free service in this type of UK hotel. The router was plugged in on the landing.

There was a choice of places to eat within ten minutes safe walk in Summertown - a Chinese, pubs, Greek, bar, etc.

All in all, a perfectly respectable place to stay and good value in an expensive city.

The little extras make a difference

by TripAdvisor Member Whereveryougan

Stayed one night and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. After arriving early was given a very nice welcome by the friendly manager and shown to my room, where the well-stocked kitchenette was explained. Fresh milk, orange juice, yoghurt, tea, coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits were all provided for no extra cost. The microwave proved useful for warming the excellent fish and chips I brought back from the chippy in Jericho at night. Also supplied were wine, beer and Pringles for which a charge was made if used.
Overall an excellent hotel, with very nice staff, free car parking and within walking distance of Oxford city centre (go down the scenic canal path).

Lovely hotel, perfect hosts!

by TripAdvisor Member algar17

The hotel staff at the Marlborough House Hotel were extremely helpful from the moment I called to book 4 rooms to the minute we left. Each room was spotless and surprisingly large, with the added bonus of a little kitchenette area to make coffee, with a full sized firdge to boot! They showed us where to catch the bus, recommended restaurants and were very attentive. Car park is a little small, but there is ample parking on the road next to the hotel on the weekend. Not too far from the city centre: about 10 mins on the bus which stops more or less outside the hotel, and taxis quite reasonable into the centre. Perfect little hotel for business or tourist stays!

So comfortable!

by TripAdvisor Member ChachaBoy

The 'Guest Suite' where I stayed was a large spacious room with 3 beds and a kitchen. We can have a breakfast in this guest room, so we don't have to change our clothes and set our hair style before having breakfast in a common room with other guests.

It is located in a peaceful residential area. A bus stop is just before the house, and it takes only 7 minutes or so to get to the city center.

I would like to stay there again!

Helpful staff

by TripAdvisor Member pawslee

Very friendly and helpful staff. Especially Dennis at the reception. The room is spacious and equipped with a handy kitchenette. Breakfast served in the room (punctual - at 0700 and at 0730 as requested). The surrounding area is quiet though a bit far from town centre.

Comments