Oxford Belfry

The Oxford Belfry
Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Oxford Belfry

What's all the fuss about this hotel?

by TripAdvisor Member julietteb3

Just back from a small holiday including a 2 night stay at the Oxford Belfry. I really dont know what is all the fuss about this hotel as I thought it was rather mediocre.

To begin with, the decoration was rather uninspired, just plain and boring, except perhaps for the huge beautiful smelling flower arrangements. We were out all the time so didnt manage to use the spa. The room's decoration was equally uninspired (nothing at all matched, as you can see in the pictures) although it had rather nice views and was very quiet facing the back. BUT IT LACKED A MINI FRIDGE! What kind of 4 stars is this?

Breakfast was being served in a rather plainly decorated room. There was good choice and the food was very nice, although I must complain that on the first day we arrived late (it closes 9.30 AM on weekdays) and we were told that the beans had run out! Also you had to specifically ask for your tea/coffee and were only served one cupful, no chance to brew your own and get a full teapot in case you wanted to have further cups. And you also had to ask for the toasts....pretty disgusting really.

Although it is only fair that I must state that all staff were indeed more than helpful and overdoing themselves to please us at any time.

We were planning to maybe have dinner there on one of the nights and looked at the menu that did not seem too expensive for Oxford's standards (around 10-15 GBP for any main course and 3-7 GBP for starters) although I really didnt fancy spending about 25 GBP per person to have a meal in the same place as breakfast, with no special features.

If returning to Oxford I would rather not stay here and would not recommend it for its price did not live up to its standards. It was not bad, but certainly not worth the price.

nice looking hotel..not friendly staff

by TripAdvisor Member h66

the room is nice and the hotel is quite big,
i booked a junior suite its quite nice and big but does not have jacuzzi. the rooms are recently refurbished so it has a modern and nice decor but not the corridors..

the service is not very good..although the cleaners are quite friendly and says hello but not the ones who wear uniforms nor the receptionist. they r not very friendly and informative at all..when you leave...they dont even tell you theres a code to exit the gate so i had to drive back to the reception and asked about the code.
if you are going for the looks of room n the hotel then this hotel its recommended..but do not expect polite and friendly staff.

but im very dissappointed by what they advertised on the website about '2 free hours internet access'
because apparently i got told that this offer does not exist!
anyways i have emailed their headquater. the email below.

To Customer Relations Manager,

I would like to know how reliable your hotel website is,
Because I checked-in in the junior suite of the Oxford Belfry Hotel on the 27th July and i brought my laptop with me because on your website it says '2 hours free internet access.'

Then around 10pm on 27th july I rang the reception about how this is working, the reply i got was 'this is something I have never heard of, I have been working here since one year.' The lady told me she would ring me back later and would check the website but when she rang back she was in doubt of me and said she couldnt see this statement of '2 hours free internet access.' from the website at all. I have attached this email with a screenshot of the website of where i found this statement,(--) I have hightlighted it in yellow.

Apart from that I was very happy with the service, but of course very much upset by being accused. And I am questionning the reliability of the website, and if your hotel does not in fact offer this 2 free hours of internet access then this statement is very misleading to us customers and this should not be advertised.
I hope this matter could be dealt with.

Overall good experience

by TripAdvisor Member juliebigal

I just wish to add to the good reviews for this hotel. We had a double deluxe room (with queensize bed) which was as described and very comfortable. If you join Qhotels for a £20 one off lifetime fee, you can upgrade rooms for £25, get free wine, 2pm checkout and £10 off the cheapest advertised price on any break in any of their hotels-which well worth it. Our evening meal included only on our first night would have cost £30 for 3 courses without wine and was so delicious we booked for the restaurant the next night and happily paid their prices. Only thing I can moan about is the lack of organisation in the restaurant (no table numbers) and the lack of English of the serving staff (we received a beef steak instead of a tuna steak) but the restaurant manager (despite only being there 3 days) is well on top of things, very amenable and eager to right any wrongs with genorous comps(gave both our main courses free), and he is very hot on his staff & their service so this should soon be sorted. Pool/sauna both large enough & very clean with good changing rooms/hot showers/towels etc. There are lots of comfy lounging areas and 2 large pretty outside courtyards to sit around in without being crowded.
Overall an excellent hotel in the Oxford?Cotswold area for a weekend break.

Poor Value for Money

by TripAdvisor Member DorsetKnobs

Stayed 2 nights for daughter's wedding. Evening meal VERY poor value for money i.e. £17 for rib-eye steak, three SMALL asparagus spears and SMALL portion of potato - that was it!!!!???The service was also poor and slow, breakfast tables were not cleaned or relaid adequately between sittings. The value and service is definitely not what you would expect from a four star hotel. Positives - room excellent - ask for a room at the back, away from the M40!

do not stay here unless you have a car!!

by TripAdvisor Member exploringBritain

The website doesn't give you a good indication of where this hotel is actually located. From the directions from the city center, I was thinking maybe two miles. It turns out it is a 22GBP cab ride from Oxford train station. Needless to say, once you are out there, you're not going back into town. You are essentially a hostage there, luckily there are things to do. The pool and sauna were nice, the grounds are well kept and there is nice scenery. I found the staff to be very nice. There are also tennis courts and spa treatments. We ate dinner and breakfast there, of course, the meals were nice and the staff friendly. We returned to Oxford on a holiday, so the cab ride was 37.50GBP.

Superb!

by TripAdvisor Member Holla90

Booked through Superbreak for a 3 night break. I was a little doubtful after reading reviews but was totally shocked when we arrived to this fabulous hotel. Staff were VERY friendly and room was amazing, we had a deluxe double and my partner and I were amazed at the size of it. Lesiure centre was clean and peaceful and I visited the spa while my partner watched sky sports in our room on our huge flat screen tv! Breakfast was huge and full of choice. I would recommend this hotel to anyone! Although its not really an ideal place for young children as there is no facilities for them.

Slept like a log

by TripAdvisor Member Chelsea44

I can best describe this place as a 5-star Travelodge. Communal areas are plastic and shabby, although our double deluxe room was fabulous - I loved the decor. However, for a new hotel it was strange that there was no air-con or mini bar/fridge. Fans are provided. We ordered room service - it never arrived, requested the turn-down service - didn't happen and the restaurant lost our booking. The staff look frazzled and exhausted. But and this is the important bit, once in the room the beds are really comfortable, the place is quiet with no banging doors and the window wide open for the quiet night air. We slept for 10 hours every night! So I'd go back, just for the sleep!

Make sure you ask for a new room

by TripAdvisor Member weejim

Be very careful - this hotel in being slowly renovated and some of the rooms are fantastic and others are terrible. I have stayed here with work 25+ times in the past 18 years but this last stay got a very old room#218 which was appauling. Ask, no demand a new room.

Also the bar does not have any English beer, which is terrible for a hotel near some or the best small breweries in England.

A decent enough hotel but some issues

by TripAdvisor Member Squiz

I have stayed at this hotel many a time over the past 6 months with work and I rank it as neutral/average. Here are my pros and cons:

Pros:
1. The rooms are comfortable and clean - I've yet to have a bad room. I haven't had any of the brand new 'modern' rooms but the older ones I have had have all been a generous enough size and clean and comfortable.
2. The breakfast - A lot of choice from fruit, cereals, croissants etc. to the full-on English buffet with everything from bacon to black pudding.
3. The rooms with the 'porch' - there are a few rooms I have stayed in which has like a porch way before you enter the room. So you get an extra door to the corridor as it were, makes for extra sound-proofing from the corridor noise which is nice, you don't get anyone walking right past your room door.
4. Ample parking.
5. Clean reception areas and welcoming.

Cons:
1. Literally everytime I have been there (8 times in the last 6 months) the bar have either run out of a certain drink or they have run out of a main ingredient from the bar meal menu. Last time I only got my third choice of meal.
2. Mainly the staff are very nice but I have experienced a couple who are not that friendly (although they may have had an off day - we all get them I guess!)
3. A little way away from other places but then this could also be a pro. If you have a car and are looking for somewhere lovely to eat I would recommend The Mole & Chicken near Long Crendon. The food is amazing! Just make sure you book as it is very popular.
4. If you have someone in a room above you who can't walk lightly then be warned. I think some of the older rooms don't have great insulation/sound-proofing suitable for some people (or baby elephants).

All-in-all, it's a decent hotel and I think the vast majority of it's business comes from business people like myself. I think it's the best in the area from what I've seen and I'll continue to use it.

There are better places to stay

by TripAdvisor Member OrangeOwl

Our two night stay here was horrible. The rooms on the first floor are very old and run down and the renovated rooms are okay but lack any sort of charm or extras. The staff was very unhelpful, there is no bellperson, so if you are travelling with lots of luggage you'll need to manage yourself through a maze of corridors and old 1970's elevators to your room. The food was very lackluster and in general we could not wait to move on from this hotel.

Comments