Oxford Spires Four Pillars

Oxford Spires Four Pillars Hotel
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Hotels.com

Costs 28% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• tomruth78's Profile Photo

Not a great hotel for the stars it has

I booked this hotel because I liked the idea of the leisure club and the location.

The outside of the hotel is beautiful, country style, but the inside is a different matter. Opened in 1999 you expect a more modern looking interior. The reception and foyer area are as you would expect. But as you head on to the rooms it is a different matter. Dark wooden doors and surrounds, yellow walls and green carpet just don't match the exterior. All the furniture was dark and whilst the rooms were of reasonable size, I think it all just seemed very drab. Bathrooms were small and pokey, seeming somewhat tired and in need of an overhall.

We did however get a great deal with dinner/bed & breakfast in a Connoisseur room. The room size we had would be considered small seeing it was an upgraded room.

A nice stroll along the river into the centre of Oxford is appealing and ease of parking at hotel makes for a pleasant location.

We ordered a newspaper for each morning, we ordered the Daily Mail, and received the Oxford Mail and then on the Sunday we received two papers, one of which we ordered the day before!

Breakfast was fine with plenty to choose from, we never really had a problem with getting seated. The evening meals were tasty on the first night, serving staff were great, but having re-heated roast potatoes on the second night was completely unexpected. You have to book in for your evening meal, but as the restaurant was deserted I don't really understand why we had to.

The leisure club was a real let down. We waited 20mins at reception to get a towel (no staff were in site). The gym was well equipped, but as this is a public club, I dread to think what it is like in peak hours.

I would personally try and find a better hotel. But if you can get a cheap deal and put up with its drab interior and poor leisure club, I am sure it will make for a nice stay.

Directions: M40 at junction 9, taking the A34 south to Oxford. Leave the A34 at Hinksey Hill Interchange, following signs for City Centre. Take the first exit left at next roundabout onto Abingdon Road. The hotel is approximately 1 mile ahead on right.

More about Oxford Spires Four Pillars

Be careful in the shower!

by TripAdvisor Member ChrisSG

We had stayed in this hotel before and obviously liked it enough for a second visit. Excellent location and there is a lovely walk along the river into the city. Couple of pubs across the road if you fancy a change from the hotel bar, similar prices though because as another reviewer has remarked, Oxford is an expensive city. Restaurant was fine on the Friday night but seemed poor on the Saturday night. They did have a wedding reception to deal with so perhaps they found themselves a bit short staffed? Fried eggs on the second morning for breakfast had only just been shown the pan and were best left alone, everything else was ok.
We had a room with a balcony which was very clean and also very quiet. The only complaint I have is the very dangerous bathmat. If you decide to have a shower be very careful because both of us nearly slipped. In the end we took the bathmat out. Never had that problem in any other hotel and I did give it some thought as to why it was happening, (sad, I know!). The bath has a ridged bottom and I think the suckers on the mat just can't get a fix and literally just slide out from under you as soon as you step on it.

Perfect weekend hotel

by TripAdvisor Member londonweekend

Having read the earlier reviews we were a little worried about what we would find when we arrived. Worried needlessly as it turns out. It was one of the best weekends we have had.
The hotel is in a lovely position for getting into Oxford; either a short walk down the main road or a beautiful walk along the river (about 20 mins) which brings you out at the bottom of Christ Church college.
The service we received was fantastic- everyone was helpful, pleasant and friendly in all areas. We used the beauty salon on our first day- probably one of the best treatments we have ever had and that includes the likes of Health Spas like Hoar Cross Hall. The pool area although not the largest was spotless and very well ventilated - no chlorine fumes.
Our room was beautiful (one of the newer connoisseur rooms), large and spacious with very comfortable beds. The shower was a bit slippy so take care but apart from that - perfect. It included a safe, gowns and a free tray of wine, soft drinks and chocolates which was replaced each day. Again, spotless.
Our package included breakfast and dinner each day. Enough choice on both days was offered and the food and service were very good. There were no queues in the morning for breakfast even though the hotel was full. The whole place worked like clockwork.
O.k some public areas were approaching needing decoration and the corridors were long but so what. Nothing was broken or ripped and the entire place was clean, friendly and cheerful. Even the guests all seemed happy!!
Will definatley return on an out of season offer

Excellent Stay

by TripAdvisor Member Fortysomething7

I note some mixed reviews on this hotel, but speak as you find. My wife and I stayed for 3 nights bed and breakfast at the beginning of December. In summary:
* Excellent staff
* Room fine and clean
* Food excellent
* Good location within 15 minutes walk of Oxford City Centre
* Leisure facilities good, although Gym needs a little attention
* Overall good value

Like a Stately Home

by TripAdvisor Member graemeboro

Having read the mixed reviews on this site I began to doubt whether this hotel was going to live up to the billing. I had absolutely no need to worry as this is one of the best hotels I have stayed in to date.

The location of the hotel is ideal it is within 20 minutes walking distance of the city centre so I managed to take advantage and have a night in Oxford.

The outside of the hotel is very grand almost like a stately home with some beautiful grounds. The reception area was very smart and just what you would expect with such a building. Even though the inside had modern facilities such as a lift in the lobby area it didn’t damage the character of the building.

I was checked in within minutes and the reception staff were excellent and efficient. I found this on check out as well and found all staff be helpful and friendly.

My room was a long walk although it was well signposted; I just hoped the walk would be worthwhile! When I finally arrived after about twenty minutes I was not disappointed. The room was at least three times the size of my master bedroom at home; it was very well decorated and contained some beautiful furniture which was in keeping with the building. The bathroom was clean and tidy and well maintained although I do agree with other reviewers on the fact that the shower mat is slippery.

Unfortunately I didn’t get chance to try the leisure facilities so I am unable to comment so my five out five rating doesn’t take this into account. The same can be said about the restaurant as I went to a local restaurant in Oxford instead simply for the atmosphere. I did have the breakfast which provided a huge choice with something for everyone.

I will certainly visit this hotel again when I come back to Oxford and hopefully will get to see if the leisure facilities are as good as the rest of the hotel, overall though I was very pleased and feel that although the hotel is pricy it’s much better value than a lot of others!

Very nice but let down in places

by TripAdvisor Member Hollymum

I stayed at this hotel for two nights with six girlfriends and it was perfect for a relaxing weekend. The setting is great, right near the river, along which you can walk into Oxford in 15 minutes. Our connoiseur room was enormous with a free minibar and dressing gowns, sleeping space for four and a seating area. The beds were very comfortable.

We were disappointed with the bar staff who were extremely rude and surly and had the cheek to argue about a glass of questionable wine. Dinner on the first night was acceptable but this rapidly went down hill on the second night. When we asked for a jug of water we were told that they did not have jugs so we had to keep asking for individual glasses. This was difficult as our waited did not seem to speak a word of English! The starter received by two of my friends had to be sent back as it was inedible. This was then followed by inedible cannelloni which we believe was made from toilet rolls!! My heavily pregnant friend then asked the waiter for a cheese sandwich and was presented with a dry butterless slice of bread. At this point we asked to see the manager. To give him credit he was excellent in sorting out our dissatisfaction and we were amply rewarded with free wine.

Having said this we only paid £49 dbb per night. I would not hesitate in staying here again but in future I would not eat dinner in the restaurant.

Fantastic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member BeanyBeagle

Stayed in this hotel unfortunately for one night only but what a place. Could not believe the size of the room or the bed which was a real surprise considering I was the sole occupant and usually find that asa single traveller i am put into postage stamp sized rooms and the company i work for are charged an arm and a leg for the priviledge. This was not the case here and my colleagues room was even bigger!
The staff were lovely very friendly and service in the restaurant was excellent, swift but not in your face and the food was lovely albeit that my choice of a burger was not the best i have ever had but the other dishes on offer were far better.
The only gripe was the ridiculous price for the wine at the bar but the comfort of the room was such that i would have been equally happy to buy a bottle from a supermarket and to sit and drink it in the lovely room.
The toiletries offerred in the bathroom were super and the big fluffy bathrobes were fantastic. Getting a hotel hairdryer that wasnt attached to the wall and produced a reasonable degree of heat and volume was a real bonus. All in all I wish i did not lve so far away from Oxford otherwise i would be rushing back here for a holiday.

Very pleased...

by TripAdvisor Member Suffolkboy1

I, my wife and daughter stayed at the Oxford Spires over the Easter weekend. Our experience was very pleasant. We stayed in a suite which
had a large bedroom, lounge and a fully equipped kitchen with washer/
dryer etc and we could not fault cleanliness or decoration.

Previous experience of other Four Pillars Hotels had been middling levels of service - but the Oxford Spires staff were very good and really friendly. We ate in the Hotel Dinning Room over the 3 nights -food was excellent - service faultless. I would definitely stay at the Spires again.

Just wonderful!

by TripAdvisor Member Carol12

A group of nine of us girls stayed here for a weekend and had a wonderful time. The staff were lovely and helpful, nothing was too much trouble, particularly Ewin who went out of his way to make sure that the one of us with wheat and gluten allergy was well catered for, arranging for the chef to bake fresh wheat free bread and cake and sauces for dinner and breakfast. The hotel was very clean and well located just a short walk from the centre of Oxford. We would definitely stay here again.

Very nice with my own private patio

by TripAdvisor Member neilbick

We wanted a hotel close to the town centre, clean, friendly, and with all the amenities of a 4 star hotel; We were not disappointed. The staff where friendly and the service was very good. Our TV had a missing remote control that was replaced as soon as it was reported. I would stay here again if I was visiting Oxford.

I didn't eat at the hotel as Oxford is full of nice restaurants. The bed was a bit on the hard side but that's me being picky!
The bar was a bit small and 'travel lodge' esq but this didn't detract from what was an excellent hotel.

Comments