Ellesmere Road, Albrighton, SY4 3AG, United Kingdom

Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 84% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Beautiful Building, disappointing meal

My husband recently took me away on the 28th April 2012 for our joint birthday as we hadnt been away since the birth of our daughter, so it was a special weekend. On arrival, the house looked impressive, beautiful. The grounds were loveley. We arrived early and were informed that we could use the spa facilities while we waited for our room to be ready. Towels and lockers were supplied. The steam room was 'tired'-tiles were missing which could have been dangerous. However, there was a sign to say that it would be closed for refurbishments on the 30th April 2012.
    We went into our room at 2.30pm, the room was clean, large, bright and airy with beautiful high ceilings. We had a four poster and seperate large bathroom. This looked pretty new. The room had a flat screen TV, tea and coffee making facilites and small dinign table and bottled water. We couldnt fault the room, it was beautiful. Prior to dinner around 6pm I was lying on the bed and heard loud voices, that sounded very close, I got of the bed to be greeted by two men, who were with the wedding party in the hotel. I explained that I felt they were in the wrong room. I didn't want to make a big deal to my husband as he had spent a lot of money for the night away. Although I felt quite nrevous for the rest of the night. When we went down to dinner I explained to the receptionist that I was greeted by two strange men in my room, the receptionist giggled and said "sorry, I was on the phone at the time and assumed they had the bridle suite - Obviously NOT, its a shame she didnt check her records! When we went back to the room, the key wouldnt let us in, we had to have it re-programmed.
    When we went in to the dining room, it was very quiet. The waiters and waitresses were very obliging. However, for a four star hotel (not cheep) I was very very very disappointed to be given a menu that offered Bubble and Squeak and Shepards Pie. This is something i would have at home, NOT in a four star hotel!!. My husband had steak with chunky chips and onions rings, we were told that this had a supplement, the supplement was not detailed, so we assumed it would be around £5.00, only to find it was £12.50 - OUTRAGIOUS!!! I had chicken with can in a cooking pot with a dollop of mash and the chicken in a saice plonked into of the cold mash. My meal was cold and not very enjoyable.

I would recommend the hotel (remember to put your suitcase in front of your door), but I would not recommend the evening meal.

The breakfast was lovely - everything you could think of, shame they didnt supply the same for the evening meal.

It was such a shame, for one night at the hotel our bill came to £230.00 which I felt was a lot of money to eat food that you could get in the local pub two for one.

Unique Quality: the bedroom (number 6) was beautful, it overlooked the lake. I couldnt fault the room.

Directions: Out in the country, views of the country side from all angles - lovely.

More about Mercure Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa Shrewsbury

Nice but not for sleeping or eating

by TripAdvisor Member Billi

Having had a stressful week I decided to book myself in for a relaxing 48 hours at this hotel. I planned to have an aromatherapy in their spa and a couple of nice meals I hadnt cooked myself! I requested a quiet room and was sent to one immediately over the bar. I was then sent to the new stable block behind the wheelie-bins outside the kitchens.
The room was Ok, (but no view) but when I returned to it later that day it was evident that when the conversion work was done, no sound insulation had been put between the extremely creaky floor upstairs and my ceiling! The person upstairs crashed around for some time before it went quiet. After dinner (seated beside the waiters' station - lots of clashing cutlery and stacking of dirty plates) I went back to the room. The person upstairs was obviously there for a 'romantic break'. The bed springs made a terrific sound (in perfect sync with the activiity on it) for most of the night. Next morning, naturally I complained. I was offered yet another room. I decided to think about it over at breakfast. I don't get enough sleep at the best of times with a young baby, I didnt want to pay for that privilege!
When I entered the breakfast room, I could see groups of the American coach party who had stayed the previous night, milling around trying to get someone (anyones') attention. The coach was leaving in a few minutes and apparently, a number of people were still waiting for their breakfast, or the other half of it, or just a cup of tea. They had all run out of time, despite waiting patiently for ages. I grabbed the guy in charge and asked how long for a cooked breakfast. "20 minutes to half and hour" was his curt reply. I told him about the Americans going without breakfast and his reply in a nutshell was "Tough!"
I returned to the front desk and told the receptionist what had happened. She called the manager who I had a long chat with. It was his first day as manager at Albrighton, and he assured me he would call a staff meeting and would sort things out. Fearing my dinner would probably be added to in the way kitchen staff like to wreak revenge, I decided against the second night. The Manager told me he would look at my bill and "take into consideration my experiences." I got the bill this morning and I've been charged the amount in full, except for 'a breakfast not taken'. Needless to say, after many years of using this hotel as a comfortable bolt-hole when I needed to recharge my batteries, I will be looking elsewhere in the future. Such a shame, as Albrighton Hall has, in the past, been the hotel people (myself included) who live in Shrewsbury recommended to those visiting the town. I would now direct visitors to the newly opened Travel lodge on the Battlefield roundabout. Its clean, well sound insulated and there are many places in Shrewsbury town centre where a great breakfast can be bought (in less than half an hour!)

great deal

by TripAdvisor Member jklondon

stayed here for 2 nights for £200 all-in deal which was great value, stayed in the new-wing in an excellent room, spa was great if a little small and surrounding areas easily accesible via cars.

Note check you bill if you are staying on one of their deals as they tend to forget things - like taking of dinner on the first night!

Otherwise staff were great if a little inexperienced at times - how does one eat soup with a fork ?!

Very, very, very disappointed!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member chuffedwithbarcelo

I'll try to keep this as brief as possible, but in summary an absolute disaster! The Hotel is set in splendid grounds and on approaching you feel like you're on a movie set in a period drama...well, delete period drama and insert Faulty towers!

1. We arrived for a long weekend break shortly after 1400hrs and were told that check-in wasn't until 1500hrs, we produced paperwork stating that check in was at 1400hrs, and were told bluntly, that the web-site was wrong and we would have to wait.

2. We waited in the bar, and decided to get lunch. Now, the bar has character, which included being a bit smelly (stale beer) and icy cold. We ordered lunch which including a drink each cost £35!!! Nothing fancy, just fish & chips and burger and chips. The food was very poor, akin to that worse than the local harvester, a total rip off for what was clearly straight out of a packet.

3. We eventually got our room at 1515hrs - it was stifling hot, and i mean HOT! The radiator was off, i can only assume it was next to a boiler room? Furthermore, the window has a crude child-lock attached which meant it couldn't be opened more than 1/4 of an inch.

4. The room was tiny and above the main entrance, as there was a wedding on we were kept awake until 2 am with revellers, then the real fun started. A couple of plebs in the next room got back in at approx 2am and had a blazing row, including the use of vulgar profanities and much abuse. We called reception as we were very disturbed by the threats, they told us to call back in 20 mins if it continued. We didn't accept this and insisted they came to the room immediately before somebody was assaulted (as per the threats)

5. Finally, to add insult to injury, was the breakfast debacle!!! Breakfast is served 7-10 am. We went to the dining room at approx 0900 and were told to wait in the adjacent ante-room for a table to be made ready. There were approx 5 other couples also waiting, long story short, wwe eventually got a table and our breakfast at just after 1015! A disgrace!

This used to be a wonderful independently owned hotel, but as with all of these places has sadly been bought out and is now just another faceless corporate hotel. Pity!

Comments