Mercure Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa Shrewsbury

See Best VT Value Hotels

Beautiful Building, disappointing meal

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 30, 2012

My husband recently took me away on the 28th April 2012 for our joint birthday as we hadnt been away since the birth of our daughter, so it was a special weekend. On arrival, the house looked impressive, beautiful. The grounds were loveley. We arrived early and were informed that we could use the spa facilities while we waited for our room to be ready. Towels and lockers were supplied. The steam room was 'tired'-tiles were missing which could have been dangerous. However, there was a sign to say that it would be closed for refurbishments on the 30th April 2012.
We went into our room at 2.30pm, the room was clean, large, bright and airy with beautiful high ceilings. We had a four poster and seperate large bathroom. This looked pretty new. The room had a flat screen TV, tea and coffee making facilites and small dinign table and bottled water. We couldnt fault the room, it was beautiful. Prior to dinner around 6pm I was lying on the bed and heard loud voices, that sounded very close, I got of the bed to be greeted by two men, who were with the wedding party in the hotel. I explained that I felt they were in the wrong room. I didn't want to make a big deal to my husband as he had spent a lot of money for the night away. Although I felt quite nrevous for the rest of the night. When we went down to dinner I explained to the receptionist that I was greeted by two strange men in my room, the receptionist giggled and said "sorry, I was on the phone at the time and assumed they had the bridle suite - Obviously NOT, its a shame she didnt check her records! When we went back to the room, the key wouldnt let us in, we had to have it re-programmed.
When we went in to the dining room, it was very quiet. The waiters and waitresses were very obliging. However, for a four star hotel (not cheep) I was very very very disappointed to be given a menu that offered Bubble and Squeak and Shepards Pie. This is something i would have at home, NOT in a four star hotel!!. My husband had steak with chunky chips and onions rings, we were told that this had a supplement, the supplement was not detailed, so we assumed it would be around £5.00, only to find it was £12.50 - OUTRAGIOUS!!! I had chicken with can in a cooking pot with a dollop of mash and the chicken in a saice plonked into of the cold mash. My meal was cold and not very enjoyable.

I would recommend the hotel (remember to put your suitcase in front of your door), but I would not recommend the evening meal.

The breakfast was lovely - everything you could think of, shame they didnt supply the same for the evening meal.

It was such a shame, for one night at the hotel our bill came to £230.00 which I felt was a lot of money to eat food that you could get in the local pub two for one.

Unique Quality: the bedroom (number 6) was beautful, it overlooked the lake. I couldnt fault the room.

Directions: Out in the country, views of the country side from all angles - lovely.

Nearby Mercure Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa Shrewsbury

• Business Services
  • Pets Allowed
  • Suites

Shrewsbury Travel Forum

Need advice about Shrewsbury, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Shrewsbury and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Shrewsbury hotel reviews