Butcher Row, Shrewsbury, Shropshire SY1
Orbitz.com Travelocity Booking.com

More about Prince Rupert Hotel

A Happy CHappy

A group of 27 of us all agreed that we were very happy with the way we were treated. Staff were helpful and pleasant and the food plentiful and good. The location in the centre of the town is excellent.

I just Loved this fab Hotel

I stayed for two nights at this delightful hotel. The staff were excellent, the service was the same. I would recomend anyone to take the opportunity to book at this Hotel.
Even to having your car parked by their valet. Who kindly came to rescue me, when i missed the turning to the Hotel. I hope to return one day . Mrs J Medder.

AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL HOTEL

by TripAdvisor Member Stellahester

Having researched the hotel via the website my husband and I booked into the Prince Rupert Hotel for a weekend. Neither the website nor their brochure is a true reflection of the hotel, which is beyond shabby, has threadbare carpets on some of the stairs, the rooms have tacky utility furniture, peeling paint, dirty windows, the cheapest of cheap bathroom furniture and fittings. Our particular shower cubicle had a plastic folding door, bath towels no bigger than large guest towels and thin. And, this was in one their finest rooms - £175 per night mansion suites. The staff tries their hardest, but there are not enough of them for the size of the hotel. It took nearly 2.5 hours to get an answer when phoning from outside and over 30 minutes to get an answer for room service. I could continue to describe the overall poor condition of this hotel, however, the piece de la resistance was throwing back my bedcover and discovering stains of a rather PERSONAL NATURE on the back of the cover and blanket . I understand from people I spoke to locally the Hotel has really degenerated and that the present management - husband and wife team - are totally disinterested. I urge the AA and RAC to revisit this hotel and give it an honest appraisal.

Wonderful historic hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Cov

We have stayed at the Prince Rupert Hotel on many occasions. The hotel could not be better located for exploring the historic town of Shrewsbury. We love the ambience of the hotel with its quaint rooms and historic charm. Despite the fascinating history of the building, the hotel combines elegance with the best in modern facilities. It couldn't be further removed from some of the sterile modern chains. We have always been impressed with the hotel staff who are friendly, professional and courteous. The food and choice of meals is excellent. We have enjoyed many good meals at the hotel, whether formally in the Royalist Restaurant, or informally in Chambers or the Italian Restaurant. Service, quality of food and value for money are commendable. We have slept very well in the bedrooms. In our recent stay we had a wonderfully comfortable four poster bed. We were woken by sounds of the town coming to life, just what you would expect in such a great central location. We enjoyed having our car whisked away and parked and returned promptly on departure. We thoroughly recommend this charming hotel and look forward to returning in the near future.

Needs a lot of work and not worth the money

by TripAdvisor Member LMel

We stayed at the Prince Rupert at the end of August 2006. Whilst I would not put it in the "Awful Awful" category of the previous reviewer, I would not recommend going there based on our stay. Definitely not worth the rates they charge (which are hardly the budget end of the scale) and I do agree with the previous reviewer that the brochure and website really do not reflect reality.

The hotel is quaint and old and therefore is bound to reflect this with creaky floorboards, uneven walls etc. I actually found the public areas quite nice, particularly if you like "olde wordly" type hotels. We also ate in the Chambers restaurant which is part of the hotel, and this was pretty good, despite being busy. Breakfast was ok too the next morning, although the service a bit slow and the staff not paricularly friendly (though to be fair they did seem to be a bit overstretched).

However the rooms were awful for the money paid. The initial room we were shown to was so small you could hardly get in it with your bags and had a dog barking immediately outside the window where its kennel appeared to be. We asked to move and were shown to a marginally bigger and marginally better room. It had clearly had some work done to it - new carpets, curtains and a new blanket on the bed. But the rest of the room was old, tatty and dated. The bathroom was awful - very dated (lovely shade of pink!) with cracked tiles, cheap soap etc, dusty pipes and a shower head that was so small it was hard to get more than a trickle out of it.

When leaving the hotel the following morning, I did walk past a number of rooms being cleaned and got the impression that some of them had been refurbished and were therefore a bit nicer so your experience may depend on which room you get. However if the owners are going to continue to charge the rates they do, then they really do have to bring ALL the rooms up to a much better standard.

I do think its a real shame as the hotel does have a lot of potential. However I would not go there again after my experience.

(On a different note - Shrewsbury is a really nice place to visit for a day or two, but do avoid only being there on a Sunday. We found very little open and lots of the restaurants etc closed)

Wonderful weekend

by TripAdvisor Member LichfieldPete

I have read with interest comments on this hotel and am totally surprised by the damning nature. From the time that I first spoke to the hotel to the time we checked out after a thoroughly enjoyable weekend, I found it impossible to find fault. The initial greeting was first class and nothing was too much trouble for any member of staff from receptionist to waitresses to cleaners. Tables were booked, taxis were ordered and cars fetched in accordance with our requests. When we asked for recommendations re certain areas of requirement, we were greeted with answers beyond the call of duty. I would have no problem recomending this hotel to any friend or colleague and shall be returning in the future. Keep up the good work!

Beware of Discos

by TripAdvisor Member beancounter26

This hotel has saturday night functions from mid November which include a disco until 1am! If you are unlucky enough to have a room close to the function room you will know it!
Make sure you check before booking or specifically ensure you are out of earshot when you get there.
Our standard room was otherwise small (particularly bathroom)but adequate with very firm matress. Water pressure seems to be a variable problem.
Leisure facilities are tucked away at the back and were not all working.
Breakfast is good.
Location is good.

Poor hotel needing an update on the bedrooms

by TripAdvisor Member terimeri

From the outside this looks a very nice place. The foyer and sitting rooms downstairs are as all hotels comfortable and cosy. It's when i got to the bedroom I was very dissapointed.
A very gloomy depressing and outdated room with pink peeling wallpaper, pink radiators, no air conditioning, very poor lighting, a tv too low to the ground to see comfortably. To add to this the bathroom is seriously out of date and grubby.

This may well be a hotel in a historic site but it still needs to be modernised on the inside!

I have stayed in Venice - historically a very old city ad the hotels are so fantastically furnished it is worth what you pay.

Unfortunately I have to agree with previous comments. This hotel needs serious updating (bedroom and bathroom wise).
I would rate this hotel as a 2 or 3 star hotel personally and if given alternative options I would mostly likely try them next time.

Excellent location

by TripAdvisor Member smjak02

Stayed here for business. Drove in to town and despite sat nav had some problem arriving at the front door owing to pedestrianised areas. Car valet parked on arrival.

A number of us were staying here and the early arrivals were given rooms prior to normal check in.

Room ok for price and grade, round the back very quiet. Saw some others many similar, not always easy to find.

Superb central location could not be beaten. Didn't eat in hotel plenty of choice in hotel and nearby.

Comments