Anabelle's Guest House

Bath

More about Bath

Palladian BridgePalladian Bridge

Roman BathsRoman Baths

Where It Starts To Get Interesting!Where It Starts To Get Interesting!

Roses decorating the wallRoses decorating the wall

Good place to stay which isnt too expensive..& near to all - does it exsist?!

by feag

Hi we are going to Bath 21st July for 2 nights for friends wedding at a place called Priston Mill or something?

Anyway, we are trying to find a good place to stay which doesnt cost the earth which is near to all sights in Bath as we would like to have a look around & make the most of it! (Hotel to B&B as long as clean & ensuite we are happy!)

If anyone can recommend anywhere I would appreciate it! thanks Jane

by Janani

I'm not sure exactly how much you plan to spend but my mum and I thought the price was reasonable, compared to other places, when we stayed at Thomas House B&B, which was about ten minutes' walk from the centre of town and most of the attractions. It was on a quiet but rather steep street, not too far from a main road, where there were shops and places to eat. There was also a bus from the main road into the centre of town.

The place was quite simply furnished and the beds were very soft but our room was clean and had a small bathroom of its own. I was fairly happy with everything there although, as a vegetarian, I didn't get a very exciting breakfast but that's the case with quite a few places I've stayed.

Here is their website address: www.thomas-house.co.uk

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip!

RE: RE: Good place to stay which isnt too expensive..& near to all - does it exsist?!

by feag

Hi thanks that sounds like somewhere to investigate - we too are vegetarians but as you say its hard to find somewhere that caters for us 100%

I will try finding this b&b's number unless you have it?

thanks jane

by feag

sorry just seen you put the web site on your reply! doh! :-|

jane

by Janani

I hope you found their number on the website. I thought it was best to put the website down, so you could get more information on the place.

If you are vegetarian, you should try Demuth's vegetarian restaurant, when you want a break during your sightseeing in Bath. We had a fantastic meal there and still talk about going back to try all the other dishes! Their lemon sponge even made us forget the horrible taste of the Bath spa water!

by feag

Hi thanks for that - we will try and find the restaurant - sounds lovely! yes been vegetarian for years both of us!

The b&b was full but we have since managed to find a great deal on late.rooms.co.uk for £70 for room for night and quite central but we realise now how expensive Bath is!

thanks again for your help & advice, Jane

Travel Tips for Bath

Old Curiosity Shoppe of a Museum

by pedersdottir

A city as elegant as Bath simply could not function without the services of tradesmen and workers. The MUSEUM OF BATH AT WORK is dedicated to telling the story of brick makers and bread bakers, corseters, chair manufacturers and makers of fizzy pop, the 'little people' who kept the gentry afloat. The heart of the collection is the reassambled shop, office and machine room of the J.B. Bowler Company "established in 1864" and commercially connected to every concern in the city. Built in 1776 as a Real Tennis Court, the building that houses the museum is very easy to miss. Look instead for the square bell tower of Christ Church, which fronts Julian Road at Rivers Street. Walk around to the rear courtyard - and enter into a world of "Two Thousand Years of Earning a Living".
Hours are April 1 to October 31, 10:30 am to 4:00 pm daily. (November 1 to March 31, weekends only).

Phone: (01225) 318348

Packing...

by CandS

We were lucky enough to have a car so it didn't matter too much, although our backpacks came in handy when carrying our gear from the car to the B&B rooms... Good walking shoes and wet weather gear are a must!

A view to blow your mind!

by Stellco

If you want an experience of a lifetime during your stay in bath, try and book a balloon flight prior to your arrival. I'm pretty sure you can't book them for the next day, but if you're organised enough you might just get an experience you'll never forget. Highly recommended!
Costs around £99.
Summer months mainly.

Getting Around By Bus

by johngayton

As a city Bath is pretty compact and so almost everything is within easy walking distance of the centre. For travel further afield the new bus station is on Dorchester Street, next door to the railway station.

Some great day trips by bus include a visit to Wells and its Cathedral (service 173) or Bradford on Avon on the edge of the Cotswolds (service 264/265). Most of the buses are run by First Bus and there are various ticketing options available including the FirstDay Southwest ticket - see 1st website below.

2nd website has all the local and national public transport info.

Vegetarianicity

by monkeyfeesh about Demuth's

Demuth's is Bath's only dedicated vegetarian restaurant. It's small and thus intimate. Book ahead - it only seats 38 people and it's busy. I'm not a vegetarian, and am not a big fan in veg in general, but my girlfriend had wanted to try Demuth's ever since she moved to Bath. I was unconvinced but the menu looked good so I decided to go along. The food was far from disappointing - as a confirmed meat eater i found it delicious and filling. Very fresh tasting ingredients and a well-thought out menu. The decor is very modern and quite purple. It's very relaxed and informal.

As I remember it, the menu on the website is not quite up to date. On a cautionary note, the night we went there we had booked a table for 9:30, only to be told on arrival that they had no record of our booking. They couldn't guarantee a table until an hour later - which left us a little hungry, but in Bath you'll struggle to find an unbooked table on a Saturday night at that time. We were promised that the owners would contact us and offer some kind of compensation - they never did. The staff on at the time were very pleasant and helpful, but were clearly in a difficult position since even the duty manager had no real powers to do anything other than serve people. other people were having problems that evening with delays in service. It was probably a one-off, but still - be warned. The pesto dish I had was excellent, the best I'd had of that kind in a long time.

Comments