Newbridge Hill, Bath, Somerset, BA1 3PT, United Kingdom

Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

• Badie's Profile Photo

Bath's five diamond guest house

One of the finest guest houses in Bath. The ideal place to take someone special for a treat...

Not the place for people on a tight budget, but very reasonably priced for all the luxuries included in the price...

Unique Quality: Briliant breakfasts
    Very elegant interior, lovely rooms.
    Hospitality that is second to none!

Directions: Take a cab from Bath Spa station. Bus services are available, but not frequent on Sundays.

Only 20 mins walk to the town centre.

More about Apsley House Hotel

Luxury is now within reach!

by TripAdvisor Member andyuk51

Apsley House hotel, in our opinion is as good as any larger hotel and yet all the personal touches of a good B&B.

On arriving at the house we were greeted by our hosts who are not the owners but obviously have a close working relationship with the owners. We were shown the lounge and the dining room and shown to our room which was the garden suite in the basement. Don't be under the illusion it was a bad place to be, far from it! It was very nice indeed!

It had a king size 4 poster bed and loads of room to move around in. Natural light was provided by 2 windows and a door that opened out to the garden, it was in fact light and airy despite being slightly below the ground.

The room was clean, furniture was in keeping with the style of the house, except for the TV which was a flat screen digital with remote control, probably not an original feature of the house along with the WiFi access thats available in most of the house!!

Because it was a warm sunny day we both sat on the lawn and enjoyed the well laid gardens with a cup of coffee.

Breakfast was excellent. Not just a full English, more a work of art! Not big for the sake of a big breakfast but enough to make you go without lunch. In fact my wife had salmon and poached egg!

The menu for breakfast is based on 2 courses. Fresh fruit to start with, melon, pineapple and strawberries with natural yoghourt, or granola muesli. Then its either, English breakfast, or salmon and egg, or american pancake with maple syrup or a muffin.

Our room was a bit more up market being a kingsize 4 poster room so it was a bit more expensive, £130, but you can get a room from £70, either way you won't regret staying here.

Overall it was friendly, relaxed and a gives a sense of luxury.

Excellent Family Accommodation

by TripAdvisor Member SevenoaksFamily4

We have just returned from Bath where we stayed at the Apsley House Hotel. We chose it because of the previous reviews and because it had a family room and because it had parking , something many hotels in bath dont have and we didnt want to leave our car in a public car park. The hotel has all the usual facilities in the rooms ( tea/coffe making facilities, tv , phone , alarm clocks etc etc )This hotel will not dissapoint. We had a great family room , try finding one of those in Bath ( we know we did ) and we couldnt have asked more from our Hosts. Breakfast again as per previous reviews you will not better anywhere else. Dont be put off by the hotels location , its an easy and beautifull walk into town or its a £5.00 cab ride. The local taxi firm as recommended by the hotel ( Abbey cars ) is excellent. What makes this hotel different from the hundreds of others out there ? Well , basically they go the extra mile for you .When you book , you not only get confirmation of your booking , but a list of attractions, restaurants and activities you may wish to do . We found this veru usefull. We also liked the fact that or children were welcomed. Nothing is too much trouble and you deal with the owners direct , not some employee who perhaps cant be bothered or isnt as keen. Need anything ? ........all you have to do is ask, and it is done. We were a family of 4 , so in the bathroom the hotel provided 4 towels/hand towels/flannels. Seems obvious but youd be surprised how many times we didnt get the correct number in other hotels.The Hotel has a great relaxed atmosphere and the lounge/bar area operates on a refreshingly old fashioned system based on trust. You just help yourself and fill in a little slip letting them know what you have had. We liked that, and for two nights had the lounge to ourselves. We wouldnt hesistate to go back and we thoroughly recommend it. If you do go , say hello to " cocoa " from us.

Wonderful stay!

by TripAdvisor Member Wintera2005

My Husband and I did a tour round England back in 2002, and as Bath was part of that tour, we decided to stay somewhere with a bit of class! And that is certainly how I would describe Apsley House - very classy!

It was a lovely hotel and we had a wonderful time staying there. Our room was absolutely gorgeous! It even had its own door leading out to the garden. It was in the lower part of the hotel but unlike some of the rooms mentioned in other reviews it did have a window. It was beautifully decorated throughout and I particularly remember the bathroom being very big and relaxing. Just what was needed after a day spent site seeing. Especially if you are viewing Bath in the rain, as we did!

The rest of the hotel was lovely too, and my Husband and I remember our two breakfasts there fondly. Definitely try the scrambled egg and smoked salmon if you go!

We also thought the staff there were particularly good too. There was a lovely lady who served the breakfasts in the morning. If I remember correctly, she was Italian, but I could be wrong so don't hold me to that! There was also nice little touches in the hotel, like the large vase full of lillies in the foyer to the reception area. They made the place smell delightful!

So as you can see from my comments above, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the hotel and would recommend it to anyone looking to stay in a hotel which is very luxurious. We would stay there again in a heartbeat! : ) xx

Lovely luxury break!

by TripAdvisor Member fairytraveller

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Garden room, number 11, during december 2006.
The room was very nicely furnished with a four poster bed, desk and chair and also had a large lcd tv and freeview box. There was a kettle and tea, coffee and biscuits, and there was both drawers and hanging space for clothes. The bathroom was gorgeous with a huge antique roll top bath, and had molten brown bath products.
The room was a bit cold, but there was an additional fan heater in the wardrobe.
This room had its own private entrance round the back of the hotel so you didnt need to go through the main door. This was nice and private but unfortunately meant we had to go outside in the rain to go round to the front door to get to the breakfast room.
The location was ideal for us, it was very close to the town but not in a very busy area and there was ample off street parking. It took us under 5 mins to drive to one of the main carparks in central bath.
The breakfast was great, with a large selection of food cooked to order.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member LisaVW

My partner and I stayed here last year and I don't usually review places but felt I had to share my comments on this place as we enjoyed it so much. Clare and Nick Potts are extremely welcoming and make you feel as if nothing is too much trouble. Our room was tastefully decorated and we had a large bathroom with Molton Brown toiletries which added that special touch. The breakfasts were outstanding, consisting of fresh fruit salads, smoked salmon or pancakes with maple syrup, enough to fill you up for a full morning's shopping around the centre. We didn't walk into town as the weather was freezing but it was only a five minute car journey away and taxis were reasonable. I would definitely stay here again.

A Lovely Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Libran_One

We stayed over the weekend in March, and cannot fault this lovely hotel. Although a little way out of the centre of Bath, we found this to be a real bonus when we saw how loud the centre gets on a Saturday night! The room was beautiful, with all of the smallest details taken care of, and plush furnishings. The views were fantastic. Everything was immaculately clean and tidy, and the bathroom products were gorgeous. The legendary breakfasts very much lived up to expectations, and the surroundings were beautiful. It's the small touches that really make Apsley - the bar where you can serve yourself, the dog, and the friendly owners and staff. Highly recommended.

Nice house, just dont go for basement room - DAMP

by TripAdvisor Member RealReview

Stayed last year in Bath and had a nice time, very quaint place. This guesthouse looks just as good in reality as it does from the many photos, however a word of warning. There is a room in the sub basement that I would say if you are offered, refuse it. It has insufficient ventilation and there is dampness in the ensuite and in the room. There was a dehumidifier in the room - need I say anymore. This room should not be let out to visitors and I found it quite telling that the previous proprietors only ever advertised 10 rooms. As a result we dreaded going back to the room at night. I am not exagerating, and when I look back on it I really wished we had not put up with it, the sheets at night felt distinctly damp. I would never repeat that experience.

Enchanting , Friendly & Peaceful

by TripAdvisor Member Jessica75

We had a great couple of days at Apsley House - we were looking for a cheap getaway. We had a ensuite room on the lower ground floor - our room did not have a view but we were told this on booking and the price reflected this £80 inlcuding full breakfast which was freshly cooked to order and I couldn't fault! The room was well equiped with luxury tea tray, Molton Brown products etc. I don't know what the room was like last year but there was certainly no humidifier and the room did not seem damp at all to us. Staff couldn't have been more helpful. We had drinks in the peaceful garden and were happy to be able to park our car free of charge and walk into town (although we caught a taxi back - £5.50). I would certainly recommend it and I am sure the luxury room must be fantastic.

First class apart from noisy plumbing.

by TripAdvisor Member adrian1

Had a comfortable two nights apart from a noisy toilet valve and a pump in the roof. Room tastefully decorated and spotlessly clean,owners friendly and helpful.Breakfast cooked to order and the best I have ever tasted at a hotel! A peaceful location with ample car parking but within walking distance of the city centre.

Comments