12 Crescent Gardens, Bath, BA1 2NA, United Kingdom
Agoda.com Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Bath

Interior with its vaulted fan ceilingInterior with its vaulted fan ceiling

Artefacts from the MuseumArtefacts from the Museum

Street Sign!Street Sign!

Colorful vaulted ceilingColorful vaulted ceiling

Winter activities in Bath

by littlesam1

My daughter and I will be traveling to London the end of this week. We are considering taking a day trip to Bath while we are in London. We were planning on taking the day trip on a Monday. I know January is way off the tourist season the UK so I was wondering if most of the musuems and sites in Bath are open in January. I have been looking in Google but can not find out a lot about winter months.

Larry

RE: Winter activities in Bath

by leics

http://visitbath.co.uk/site/things-to-do has opening times for most things.

Or

www.bath.co.uk, click on 'what to see and do' (left-hand menu), then 'click on 'Museums' (or whatever else you want to investigate).

Alternatively:

http://www.museumofcostume.co.uk/ has their times.

Roman Baths museum: Opening Times January to February, November to December 0930 Last admission 1630 - exit 1730

The William Herschel museum is closed until February. The Museum of Bath at Work is closed.

www.bath.ac.uk/holburne/visit/ has Holbourne Museum times.

www.bathpostalmuseum.org/opening.html

www.bath.co.uk/museumeastasianart/

www.bathmuseum.co.uk/details.htm

In brief, some are shut but most are open albeit with slightly different opening hours.

Hope this helps!

by leics

Oh......and don't forget your clothes-to-layer, hat/scarf/gloves and waterproof jackets! It's wet and windy and reasonably mild at the moment, but supposedly getting 'fresher' (i.e. chillier) towards the weekend.

Enjoy your visit!

by littlesam1

Thanks for the information. I have been watching the weather reports and the temperatures. So hopefully I will be prepared for the weather. Its been unseasonable warm here in Maryland the past couple of weeks but seems to be getting back to winter today. I did see rain in the forcast for London but it looks like it will be clear over the weekend. Fingers are crossed.

larry

by leics

Don't believe the forecasts..........we don't! :-)

by Spincat

Bath is lovely and hope you haev a great stay. I think the wind and rain is forecast to move on by Saturday. Monday can be day when museums close in the UK - most London ones don't but, if it isn't clear from the sites above, it is always worth emailing to double-check.

by littlesam1

That is my concern. I need to find out if Monday is going to be a good day to visit. With it being winter and not a lot of tourists I was not sure what to expect. I guess I need to get out some email....QUICK!

Larry

by leics

The links will tell you which days the various museums etc are open, as well as the times.

RE: Winter activities in Bath

by Sjalen

Larry, that's a great choice! We went in February and had plenty to do. I know museums can be closed but it is a city where (wheather permitting) you will want to walk around amongst the nice houses anyway and if there is ONE sight not to be missed it is the Roman Baths and they are open:

Travel Tips for Bath

Stonehenge...

by CandS

Check out Stonehenge...but you don't need to pay to see it, you can just have a look from outside the fence if you're a cheap-skate like us... ;)

I don't know what I expected to see at Stonehenge but I was amazed to find these stones out in a paddock...for some reason I figured they would be in a town somewhere...

This is Colin. Colin is a...

by iandsmith

This is Colin. Colin is a nice man. Colin used to work for the local council. Colin will take you on a guided tour around Bath. The best news of all is that Colin, along with a number of volunteers, does it for nothing!
A highly recommended walking tour (takes about 2 hours) and happens in the morning and afternoon. Pick up point is near the abbey.

Alexandra Park is situated on...

by Stellco

Alexandra Park is situated on top of a Hill ot the south of the city, by Beechan Cliff School,in an area called Bearflat.
It has spectacular views over the city, and is a nice walk if you are staying in the Widcombe area.

Take a bus

by Etoile2B

I bought a ticket for one of the double decker tour busses. It's a great way to get around the city. There are advantages to getting around this way. The ticket is good all day and you can get on and off the bus as often as you like. Bath is relatively small but it's a quick way to get from place to place, especially if you're short on time. It makes frequent stops and runs regularly. Also we were able to ride it up above the city into part of the countryside. This afforded beautiful views of Bath and was a little off the beaten path.

It was worth the wait

by Synch_X about The Moon and Sixpence

I found all the restaurants in Bath pretty much required you to book in advance or else you would need to wait. Well this is one of those I waited around at to get a table, as I was impressed by it's layout and design. It's a little out of the way and hard to spot as you need to walk down a short narrow alley to get to it, but fortunately they have a sign above the alley. We had to wait around at the bar for about an hour before getting the table although I don't regret it, the food was fantastic. If your going to eat out in Bath I recommend this restaurant as the best choice, and value for money for the quality even though Bath is expensive and this is a posh restaurant after all.

The bar is open from 11.00 am, Lunch is available from 12.00 noon and Dinner between 5.30pm and 10.30pm.

They can seat 100 people, have smoking & non-smoking sections and accept all major credit cards. Email: reservations@moonandsixpence.co.uk I had the Chinese style duck salad with beansprouts & a hoi sin dressing and it was most exquisite. The presentation is excellent and almost a shame to make a mess of it.

Comments