Beechfield House

Beanacre Road, Near Bath, Beanacre, SN12 7PU, United Kingdom
Beechfield House Hotel, Restaurant & Gardens
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

More about Beechfield House

Outstanding attention in superb surroundings

by TripAdvisor Member Mr_Mrs_L

Please accept this as thanks from all the wedding party that stayed with you over the weekend of 18th August.

The accommodation and attention of the staff was exceptional.

We really enjoyed our evening meal and would recommend to all your guests that this is a must.

Please pass our thanks on to all the staff for making the weekend so memorable, especially for the Bride & Groom.

We would not hesitate in recommending Beechfield House to anybody. Lovely people, in lovely surroundings.
Thanks again

Perfect

by TripAdvisor Member bobblesHagen

We stayed for 6 nights at this charming place which fulfills nearly everything you expected. The clean bed room was very well furnishedand had plenty of space to relax.The various dinner is high above average and close to excellent.
The heart of the whole house is called James who really is the best man for his job. Many thanks for a perfect service!!! Beechfield house can only be recommended.

Like Fawlty Towers run by Hugh Grant

by TripAdvisor Member PhatHutch

Beautiful building set in acres of grass and woodland set you up for what draws you into the spacious, and well presented lobby. The heated outdoor swimming pool is a rare treat and the staff and owners are some of the most pleasent and charming you could ever wish to meet.
However the legs make promises the face can't deliver! The 4 poster bed looked like it had been knocked up an hour before we arrived as the unwaxed pine was still growing out of the ikea box from whence it came. No hot water for 2 days is frowned upon in small African states with a GDP less than the cost of a weekend at Beechfield, let alone in rural Wiltshire. Who uses sheets and blankets these days instead of Duvets? Beechfield, thats who. And owners and managers of all Hotels who purport to be "exclusive" and well "starred" please take note; DONT TREAT BREAKFAST WITH ANY LESS RESPECT THAN LUNCH OR DINNER. Commis chefs are not the answer to fill the dreaded Saturday and Sunday morning shift. Like Fawlty Towers run by Hugh Grant.

Friendly family hotel

by TripAdvisor Member CrucialRich

Hotel was easy to find, set well back from main road. It's just a short drive from picturesque Bradford-on-Avon and not too far from Bath.
We chose it because it is one of the few hotels that can easily be booked for a family of 5. I discovered why - the owners have 3 kids themselves!
Our room was spacious and comfortable. No satellite TV but it is a 3 star. The only criticsim was that there was no proper shower just a hand held attachment on the bath taps.
The pool is great. It's kept warmer than average (29Celsius according to its thermometer) so our children spent many happy hours in it and we were able to take a paper out and get drinks and food brought to a table out by the pool. Note that the pool changing room is just shed so change in your room!
The hotel prides itself on it's food and our evening meals were certainly excellent. If you want extra veg make sure you order it even though it's not on the menu as the dishes do not include much. The staff were all very friendly and helpful but the food was a bit slow in coming, suggesting that the kitchen was either under staffed or under equipped.
Given the emphasis on food quality I was also a bit disappointed to find that the juice at breakfast seemed to be from concentrate, the toast was just ordinary sliced bread, and my porridge looked and tasted suspiciously like Ready Brek. Our lunchtime sandwiches also were made from ordinary sliced bread.
The staff were all extremely helpful however, with one volunteering her own personal supply of marmite for my youngest daughter's sandwiches.
I would thoroughly recommend the hotel and given they are in the process of refurbishing the property I believe it will only get better.

Wedding Bliss

by TripAdvisor Member phoebegWiltshire

David and I held our wedding breakfast and evening reception at this wonderful hotel. Many of our guests, as well as ourselves, stayed at the hotel for one or two nights around the wedding. All the rooms were elegant and very clean. James and Chris, together with their team, were true professionals. Nothing was too much trouble and everything we wanted was provided. We had 120 guests and the use of all the reception rooms and the grounds so no one felt crowded. All our guests enjoyed the relaxed, comfortable atmosphere and delicious food cooked to a very high standard. We would not hesitate to recommend this charming hotel in a beautiful setting to anyone.

Perfect Wedding

by TripAdvisor Member EMABSwindon

I have just been married in the Blake suite followed by a wedding breakfast in the beautiful Chippendale room.
The hotel is a beautiful place and the service we received was impeccable.
My mother and I searched many hotels/venues in Wiltshire looking for the perfect surroundings for my small wedding. Beechfield ticked all the right boxes, but above all the staff were so friendly and helpful I have no doubt I made the right decision to have my wedding there.
The atmosphere made me feel as though my wedding was being held at a friend's grand house rather than at a hotel. I think there's somthing special about a hotel when the friendly face you meet at reception is also the owner/manager.
Their wedding coordinator was most helpful and the day couldn't have gone more smoothly. All my guests commented on how lovely the place and service was.
The wedding breakfast was delicious, and the chef was so accommodating he even made us a starter that wasn't on the menu!
My only regret is that my special day had to end; although I do have some very beautiful photographs to remind me of my perfect wedding!
Thank you so much to every one at Beechfield!

cosy retreat

by TripAdvisor Member pearlfisher

Previous report shabby but our large bedroom was freshly painted spacious and warm with a a very large comfortable bed and qulity linen. Tha bathroom was not quite so pristine but had moulton brown toiletries and plenty of hot water. good selection of teas etc. Very quiet with view of the garden and countryside.
Warm welcome from the manager who showed us to our room.

Dinner ws £25 from a menu choice of about 4/5 dishes and was good but not overlarge portion. On as Sat night the place was less than half full.
Breakfast was good and freshly cooked to order served in a small room to ourselves.
Overall a comfortable and pleasant stopover would be even in better in summer when the pool is open.

Pet friendy

by TripAdvisor Member Biddy4758

The hotel was as good as it looked and the staff couldn't have been more helpfull as import their care was real.

Food was super, eveing meal and Sunday lunch brilliant.

My room although a little tired was still excellent and once the bathroom renovation takes place will be superb.

As a bonus my minature dashund was made very welcome and the squirrals sent her crazy.

Fantastic old house

by TripAdvisor Member phallett

I'd just like to say thank you for a wonderful stay. It's obviously under new ownership as we weren't allowed to stay with kids before and only previously stayed in it's, then, starchy athmosphere when we were without kids.

However, on this stay, I have to say it was wonderful and were made to feel very welcome even with the kids. Unfortunately there was one time one of the staff reminded us that there were other diners due and could we keep the kids quiet. But as anyone with sub 5 year old kids will know, this isn't something you can turn on or off. It was minor and didn't spoil anything (although eating one of their fillets at the time probably took most of my attention away).

The house is superb, food simply superb, wonderful and the staff excellent; attentive and very friendly; a real personal experience. I would recommend this place 100%. We're in the area a lot, love great hotels and will, now, always use this as our base whilst in the area; I'd recommend you do too.

One very tiny negative note. Like most hotels nowadays (we stay in lots) for some reason, they do not like to make the coffee anything other than weak. In every other area it was superb.

Lovely Country Retreat

by TripAdvisor Member MrsMo

We arrived fairly late on Friday, after a dreadful week at work, exhausted and grumpy! The mood started to lift as we turned into the drive of Beechfield and by the time we had flung ourselves onto the ginourmous four-poster bed, all our cares were floating away.

We had made a restaurant reservation for the first night but were in no mood to be sociable so we ordered room service instead. We got big plates full of piping hot comfort food which was just what we needed.

A good night's sleep in the amazingly comfy bed, followed by a hearty breakfast and a massage from Nicky and our rehabilitation was complete.

The rooms are named after the trees you can find in the grounds - we stayed in Cedar which is beautiful, large and comfortable. It also has the most amazing feature window in the bathroom which was a complete surprise. The bath was lovely which was good, as the separate shower wasn't particularly powerful. The bathroom, the bedroom and all the public areas are spotlessly clean.

The food is great. There isn't one large restaurant, rather a series of smallish reception rooms which are very intimate and do make you feel as if you are dining as guests in a private country house. There is a pleasant hum of activity but noise levels do not reach the point where they are intrusive. The breakfast was very good and plentiful and the evening meals really tasty made with fresh local produce. Others have complained about small portions, but we found the portions are ample and similar to most good restaurants - with the emphasis on quality rather than quantity. Besides, this left some room for dessert which was the real treat of the weekend.

What really lifted our stay from good to great, were the wonderful staff. They were professional and very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Other reviewers have mentioned slow service but we didn't notice this - perhaps by this point we were too relaxed to worry about it!

My top tip would be to try to book a late check-out on the Sunday and stay for Sunday Lunch. Whilst other guests were hurrying to be out of the room by mid-morning, we took our time over breakfast, had a leisurely stroll around the grounds and then returned to the room before packing up and checking out just in time for a 3-course lunch.

It was a real shame to leave, and we hope to return before the end of the year to enjoy another weekend of pampering and relaxing bliss.

Taking in the views from the rooftop poolTaking in the views from the rooftop pool

Pulteney BridgePulteney Bridge

MenuMenu

Funky but attractive decorFunky but attractive decor

Comments