North Parade, Bath, Somerset, BA1 1LF, United Kingdom

Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Rated 12% higher but also costs 99% more than other 3 star hotels

• Balam's Profile Photo

Good Location

The Abbey Hotel is convieniantly located close to all of the city's main attractions with Sally Lunns House, the Abbey and Roman Baths, Pulteney Bridge, Bath Rugby Club, Parade Gardens, the main shopping centre and great restaurants all within a short walk, and if you like walking and or boating then The river avon is located just to the right of the building.

They have 60 en-suite rooms which have recently been renovated to a high standard and include Free Wired and Wireless High Speed Internet Access, trouser Press, Hairdryer, Colour satellite television, Tea and coffee. rooms start from £60 upto and above £95 with discounts if booked in advance. There is free accommodation for two children under 15 years of age who share a room with two adults, you only have to pay for their food.

Unique Quality: The Hotel was built in the 1770's as 6 seperate houses and it still retains many Georgian features such as the wide doorways and high ceilings.

• cruisegirl4life's Profile Photo

Close to Abbey

Upon arriving at the hotel we were told we could not check in and should come back at 2pm when our room would be ready (it was about 1pm). We strolled around for a bit in the rain and wandered back around 2:15. Our room was still not done, so we decided to wait in the sitting area until it was. The front desk was not overly friendly and promptly forgot about us. We finally went back at 2:45 and received our keys. The hotel had some interesting up and down stairs to get to your room, but the room was clean and bigger than we had been expecting. We did have to call maintenance as several items were not working, but they came by quickly and fixed them. The view was of the back alley, but there were some pretty flower bushs there.

Unique Quality: The ceilings were very high in our room, but my husband and I both agreed it appeared as if it had been the corner of a hallway in the old building and converted to a room.

Directions: Walk straight down from the train station to Parade and turn left. The entrance is flat to the building, so you won't see the sign until you are right in front of it.

• pedersdottir's Profile Photo

Best Western Abbey Hotel

Jane Austen might have recognised the building as the townhomes of 6 prosperous merchants of her time. Today the exterior has been renovated to a uniform look, but since the entrance was still obscured by scaffolding when I visited, the picture gives you a view ' from the doorway'.

Furnished in a contemporary casual style, the Abbey Hotel maintains some remnants of Georgian charm. It is perfect for travelers who want no deviations from the rack standards typical for the US. Parking and good-sized family rooms are available. Small single rooms begin at L 65 and doubles at L 90 (including breakfast).

Unique Quality: Located at the center of town, The Abbey Hotel is very convenient to all information offices, the Abbey and Pump Room and the departure points for City of Bath walking tours.

More about Best Western Abbey Hotel

Bath: Best Western Abbey Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member StudentMod

I recently stayed at this Hotel for 2 nights. I suggest a space suit in order to combat the distinct lack of atmosphere in this establishment. My room was so shabby I wiped my feet on the way out. The bar is only a bar by name and more like an expensive drinks cabinet. No draught beer and no bar person. If you want a drink you need to flag down a passing waiter or waitress who will then quickly serve you between other duties. I went for my evening meal and was advised that I needed to book my table. I explained that although I wasn’t in a hurry what I really wanted was a nice steak and was prepared to go to another hotel or restaurant to get it. I was assured that my table would be ready in 45 mins so then decided to have a drink fist to pass the time (that’s when I found out about the bar). Well to top it off when I eventually sat down at the table to order my meal the punch line was; sorry no steak tonight. The full English breakfast was ok though, nice and hot and well cooked. The waiter who brought me my breakfast must have slept in his clothes for a week, distinct lack of personal hygiene was apparent to all. Well my company paid for this stay which was bad enough but despite that I felt the only thing missing when I paid the bill was the highwaymen’s mask.

Disappointing. Avoid the breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member Sueoil

I stayed in this hotel for three nights and was very disappointed by the room. The whole hotel was very dated and in need of some serious refurbishment. The room was a chintz paradise and the bathroom was crusty and old. It needed a good dose of bleach! The shower curtain was supposed to white but was tinged with brown mould, and the floor was something resembling black lino, but again failed to do this. Our room overlooked a 'courtyard', or very large air vent and staff smoking area and the bathroom overlooked other rooms (there was no frosted glass window) and was a home for a lot of pigeons.

The breakfast was atrocious. No hot options for vegetarians and the offerings for non-veges was not worth the risk it presented. Fatty, cheap sausages, fried bread (of these people heard of a heart attack), fried mushrooms, fried bacon with more fat on than meat, fried eggs and fried hash brown. The quality was the lowest kind possible and not acceptable. Also, tinned fruit salad - enough said!

The bedroom was tidied well every morning, and when we asked for toothbrush we were given some complimentary toothbrush kits. We told the hotel staff of the terrible quality of the breakfast and our comments were going to be 'passed on to the head chef'. What, some 16 year old spotty trainee chef from college?!

This hotel is best avoided. even the excellent location wasn't a selling point. Bath is so small that it wouldn't make any difference where your hotel is.

An experience we will not repeat

by TripAdvisor Member HLB100

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights in September 2006. Our room was on the second floor at the front with lovely views, adequate furnishing (which compensated a little for the very tired communal areas) and a bathroom in need of urgent refurbishment. However, we were kept awake by noise from people leaving the nightclub next door at 2a.m. followed by the refuse collection lorry at 6a.m. Breakfast was dire. On the first morning the service was extremely slow in the packed dining room which had an ambience akin to a school canteen. We had to ask three times before we could order. The fruit juice was warm, the coffee stewed and the presentation and taste of the food - except for the eggs - was poor. On the second morning we were told that the dining room was full and we would have to wait. We explained that we had a meeting to attend and could not wait too long and decided to take breakfast elsewhere. When we came to pay the bill, the hotel staff refused to remove the cost of breakfast from our bill despite not us not having eaten there. They "assured" us we would only have had to wait for 5 minutes. A totally less than satisfactory experience all round and we would not recommend the hotel.

think again...

by TripAdvisor Member Newgale

I stayed here with friends just for the saturday night as I couldn't find anywhere else in Bath available. I was a little concerned having read all the reviews that had been posted but thought it'd be ok. It would have been if they were charging £50 a night but this cost me £130 a night!

The hotel is clean and the staff on site helpful (ish) and polite. Rooms were small baut adequate. The problem comes when you want to sleep - surely the reason for staying in a hotel? We had a room on the front of the hotel and there was a nightclub/pub opposite which kept us awake until about 3am. The hotel has no double glazing (planning laws apparently forbid it) and no secondary glazing (the manager advised that they are "looking" into getting it).

I complained to the duty manager and the night porter whilst there who apparently phoned the police to complain and gave be £20 off the bill.

I have spent along time on the phone to the manager of the hotel who would not refund me anymore money which I believe is wrong as I've paid £110 for a sleepless night. The duty officer advised that have complaints every weekend regarding this. My friends advised they had an ok night as were on the back of the hotel.

My advise is don't stay here - it ain't worth the money for a sleepless night!!!!

Not the Best of experiences!

We stayed on a 2 for 1 deal, which was just as well as this hotel is no way worth £130 a night.

First the good news... the location is perfect for seeing Bath and especially the Christmas market, which was the reason for our visit. The tourist buses stop right outside and I have not met more helpful and pleasant people as the guides/drivers on these trips and the receptionist in the hotel. The full English breakfast was very good - even though we didn't know what items we could choose, as the menu didn’t specify.

Now the bad! The bed was awful, saggy in the middle and hard. Why don’t hotels realise that a good bed makes or breaks a persons view of a hotel stay?? The room itself was dingy, the carpet was marked as was the ceiling and the shower was totally the worst I have ever used. It wouldn’t stay in place and the water alternated hot and cold. I did respond to the questionnaire mentioning all the above, and didnt ask to change the room as we had already slept in the bed before realising how bad it was. It pains me that this is the quality that is offered to visitors, many from overseas, when things could be so much better with a little money and thought spent.

So if you don’t mind the bad.. the good might make up for it!

Great location, but do not accept a room in the annex

by TripAdvisor Member EricG

This is an old hotel in an old building in an old city. Depending on your point of view this could be charming, or not! This is very much a “tourist class” hotel, and the best thing it has going for it is location. It’s with an easy walk of everything you’ll want to see in Bath except, perhaps, for the Circus and Royal Crescent about an easy mile walk from the center of town. The rooms were nothing special, but the two we stayed in were clean enough and comfortable (except for, see below). The hotel has no garage so you’ll have to rely on public parking if you have a car. There are parking lots nearby, but they are expensive if you’re lucky enough to get a spot. Weekend parking is much less expensive, so plan accordingly if you’re on a budget. One other warning! Do not accept a room in the hotel’s annex behind the restaurant. These rooms abut the street and an alley that is used as a toilet (among other things) for revelers partying late into the night. We demanded another room the next day and were promptly accommodated with a room in a much quieter location.

Terrific location and staff, lack lustre rooms

by TripAdvisor Member d20gdx

Location wise this hotel could not be better, near the Roman Baths, the Sally Lunn Bun shop.

Probably all the other reviews make the point but 1) be prepared to spend £11 per day on parking and prepare yourself for hot, small rooms.

The breakfast was great and the staff were very pleased to help, so overall a good experience, its resonable value and you could do worst.

Theres noise of a generator in room 112 but it seems to pack up at about 11pm. We heard people complain about noise from the square but that seems a bit harsh to blame on the hotel.

One couple whilst we were there seemed to have booked ( with written confirmation ) but was told there was no space. so bring emails etc.

We enjoyed it, not bad!

Pls advise good B&B in Bath in city centre.

by dmw280372

Pls advise good B&B in Bath in city centre.

Wow. Bath has so many B&B's that I am not sure which to book. I am travelling alone so looking for a place in the town centre where I can enjoy Bath nightlife as we being close to the attractions, bars and restaurants. My budget is between £40 to £70 midweek.

Can anyone suggest a good B&B based on these criteria

Thanks

Darren.

RE: Pls advise good B&B in Bath in city centre.

by msiagrl

I live here and can only answer by location...Best Western Abbey Hotel, Bath is at the top of Milsom St and close to all the clubs and restaurants. There's also a hotel over the Loch Fyne restaurant.

If I didn't live here I would try: Three Abbey Green
Bath BA1 1NW, England opposite Crystal Palace pub and right by the Abbey and center.

Pratt's Hotel is also central

Harington's Hotel
8-10 Queen St, Bath, Somerset, BA1 1HE (has good reviews - off Milsom St)

Kennard Hotel
11 Henrietta Street, Bath BA2 6LL (bit further out but still central near Pulteney bridge)

looks all right on the net!

Hope that helps, visitbath.co.uk has more listings

Have a great time in Bath!

Comments