Carfax Hotel

13-15 Great Pulteney Street, Bath, Somerset, BA2 4BS, United Kingdom

Good For No Data
  • Bath's best hotel

I went to Bath for a long weekend with my boyfriend in August 2003, and stayed in 'plus' double room in the Carfax Hotel.

Bath is a fantastic place to visit. A bit like Oxford and Edinborough, it can be really difficult to get a room which isn't silly expensive. The Carfax cost about £80 per night for the room and included breakfast and tax.

We also got a free place in the Car Park at the back.

Unique Quality: The room we had was on the first floor and was fantastic. It really felt like it had just been decorated and the bath/shower was terrific. But what really made it special was the fantastic view of the street and Bath hills. We could look out the window at night and see the Prior Park mansion lit up.

The breakfast was very good, with an enormous choice from the buffet and the cooked menu.

Directions: It was just a short walk from the River Avon and Pulteney Bridge. Real close to the main shopping area and Roman Baths.

More about Carfax Hotel

No Drinking

by TripAdvisor Member TommyThompson

The food is excellent, the accommodation is clean and lovely, the staff are friendly. Potential guests should be aware the hotel is owned by The Salvation Army and is, therefore, temperance (no alcohol served).

Great Location, Nice English Town Home Experience

by TripAdvisor Member safetravel

We stayed at the Carfax Hotel with our four children, so we had two rooms. The main floor room had nice high ceilings, a large bathroom and two twin beds. The room we had on the top floor-the family suite (old service quarters) had low ceilings, and a very small bathroom (if you are over 6'2" you wouldn't be able to stand in the shower). The beds in the family suite were a bit on the lumpy side (new mattresses are in order).

Other than the above, we thought the Carfax was an excellent place to stay in Bath. The location was great -within comfortable walking distance to the Bath sites.

The staff at the Carfax was helpful and friendly and gave us good restaurant tips. An added bonus was the use of their laundry room with washer/dryer and iron.

The Carfax literature is upfront about the different class of rooms they provide. If you need the family suite like we did and like a "fine" hotel room, you may not be satisfied. However, the other room was perfectly lovely. I thought the Carfax was a good value and would recommend it.

Best hotel we stayed in on our trip

On our tour of the west of England, my friend and I stayed in some very awful hotels. This one was terrific. Clean, nice rooms, good food, pleasant staff and it is in a good part of town. We would go back. :0)
Jana

We loved this hotel - nice, clean, spacious, good location

We loved this hotel! We were only in Bath for one night on our way back to London, and we were very tired. The hotel was clean, and the room was spacious (a triple, en suite). The shower was one of the best of all the places I stayed. There were several reasonable restaurants within walking distance. The hotel staff were very friendly, and the hotel really helped people with cars by providing not only parking in the back, but parking zone passes for the street when the parking in the back filled up. The train station is within walking distance if you don't have a car, though you may want a taxi if you have luggage since it is a few blocks away. The breakfast included in the cost of the hotel was great -- either continental or cooked to order. Really, there isn't anything I didn't like about the hotel, and a lot that I did. We'd choose it again in a heartbeat.

Fine hotel well placed

I couldn't fault this hotel. The girl on the desk was efficient, helpful and friendly. The room was clean and looked like it had just been decorated. The breakfast was quick and was what I ordered. We spent two days in Bath and found that after we had parked the car in the car park at the back, we just walked everywhere. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is in Bath for pleasure, as we had no problems.
Nathan A

Kinda depressing

by TripAdvisor Member trvl2

The Carfax was in a great location. The people were extremely nice and always helpful. The reception girl even offered to let us take her book of maps to get to Stonehenge. Breakfast was a combination of cooked to order and buffet and was pretty good. The waitress was lovely.

But, we had the family rooms (49 & 50), which were just terribly blah. It was kinda depressing being in the rooms, with low ceilings and not very well maintained walls/floors. The bathroom was very small and in need of renovation. The shower wasn't high enough for my 6 foot husband to stand up and shower - he had to stoop over. I was happy to leave this hotel. After reading the TripAdvisor reviews, we were expecting better.

Carfax was a great European hotel

We stayed for two nights at the Carfax Hotel (8/31-9/1/05). Martin, at the front desk, was extremely helpful and friendly. Our two rooms were each a good size, clean and modern. The complimentary breakfast was very good. It was a short 5 min. walk to the town, away from the noise of the town center, on a lovely quiet street. The hotel rooms were typical of the Eurpoean style which enhanced our flavor for England. If you would like to stay at a lovely hotel with friendly employees who care about you, good service with a Eurpoean feel, I would highly suggest staying at the Carfax Hotel.

Very Good all round

This hotel was really well run by smiley people. The bedroom we had on the first floor was spotless and charming. Breakfast was A1, I had the full english which was well cooked with good ingredients - very different from the hotel in Wells we stayed the night before. The lounge was nice to relax in with a paper, and the town was just a bit too close for my wife who dragged me out shopping. Bath is beautiful. On street parking was fine with the parking ticket they gave us for free!
I'd go back to the carfax as it did what it should.
Paul

Enjoyable stay

My spouse and I stayed at the Carfax Hotel for one night in November, 2004. We found it to be clean, comfortable, and well located. Our room was quite large, with very high ceilings and a large, lovely window. Furnishings were in good shape and the bed was very comfortable. Bathroom was also large, although the low ceiling another reviewer mentioned was true for us. As we are both on the shorter side, it didn't pose a problem, but I imagine showers could be difficult for someone tall. Bathroom was large, had lots of shelf space, and was immaculately clean. The decor is slightly boring and could use a little updating, but nothing that would cast a shadow on our stay. For those with disabilities, there are 2 elevators available to reach all levels of the hotel, although both are needed at times to reach certain destinations, with a small distance to walk between the two.

We did not eat in the restaurant for dinner, but had room service for breakfast which was delicious, hot and on time.

Two of the best things about this hotel are the staff and location. We found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful. When we asked about restaurants, we received tons of information so that we could find exactly what we were looking for, including a map for directions. The hotel's laundry facilties are available for guest use, for a fee, but we were given written instructions re: their use (which was slightly complicated) and only charged the cost of one load when we did four. They held our luggage in a secure location on our check-out day so that we could further explore the town, and didn't mind retrieving it for us and hailing a cab when we returnred much later than we expected.

The location is perfect, on lovely Great Pulteney street and within fairly easy walking distance of stores, restaurants and sites.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here, as we were looking for a clean, comfy place to sleep, shower and do laundry before returning to London. If you're looking for the Four Seasons, this isn't it, but if you want what we wanted, you'll be satisfed with the Carfax.

Comments