Dukes Hotel

Great Pulteney St, Bath, Somerset, BA2 4DN, United Kingdom

More about Dukes Hotel

Charming friendly boutique hotel

by TripAdvisor Member wispabar

Our family of 4 (2adults, 2 children) stayed in a top-floor suite for a week-end break. Although this entailed a trek of over 70 steps, it wasn't a problem for us as we are all fit! (there is no lift but staff help with luggage).

We all loved our stay here. Without exception, all the staff were cheerful, friendly and helpful. The food in the restaurant is exquisite- the chef is very talented and the service is perfect.

The hotel looks recently refurbished and interior decor is of a high quality - we loved the contemporary furnishings in our suite. The master bedroom could be curtained off from the lounge (where the children slept on a sofa-bed). This was useful as we could watch different programmes on the 2 TVs!

Location is great - just 5-10min walk to main attractions.

This is one of the nicest small hotels that we have stayed in - highly recommended for a stay in a beautiful city

An enjoyable stay in the Leinster room

by TripAdvisor Member The_Toad

The welcome was very warm and friendly, we were shown all of the hotel amenities by the hotel staff who were attentive to our every query. The room was on the third floor but was worth the hefty climb as the view across the rugby club grounds and beyond to the hills was fantastic. The room was clean, comfortable and warm however for £125 per night I expected satelite TV or at least freeview to be available. Also the original sash windows were a bit rattley! What was provided for breakfast was nice however a cooked breakfast is not included in the room price and the continental did not have a wide choice. The most surreal moment was when cold meats and cheese were provided but no bread rolls. I asked for rolls and was informed that the intention was for the meats to be eaten with the toast! The hotel is located on a beautiful traditional Georgian street only a pleaseant five minute stroll to the city centre. Overall an enjoyable stay in an ideal base.

Maximalist Comfort, Minimalist Food

by TripAdvisor Member Wordweaver

We were treating some friends for a special anniversary weekend. Well in advance, I booked two superior rooms and the deal included dinner on the first night. Excited by the restaurant reviews, we also reserved a table for the second night.

When we arrived, the staff were wonderfully friendly and helpful. Our luggage was whisked up to the rooms and we looked forward to being very well looked after during our stay. The stairs are an issue - the hotel is a Grade I listed building and a lift is not permitted. If you suffer from vertigo, book a room on the ground floor.

A few days before our visit, I checked that everything was OK and that the flowers we ordered for our friends would be in the room. I was assured that everything was fine. I had specified on booking that we preferred light, airy rooms, and that we didn't mind them being on different floors.

Our second floor room was lovely, overlooking Pulteney Street and with a man-sized bath. Unfortunately, our friends' room next door was intenseley red, rather cramped, with the loo and handbasin badly sited in the bathroom. There was no bath, just a small shower. The bouquet of flowers was beautiful, but it had been left on the bed rather than arranged in a vase.

Despite our protests, our friends insisted on staying put, but later that evening when the shower didn't work, the hotel happily moved them to a suite on the third floor, and sent up champagne with which they were very happy.

We ate in the restaurant that night, as part of the deal. Drinks were served with a delicious amuse guelle, which boded well for the meal ahead.

Our optimism was borne out - the food was delicious and beautifully presented, but the portions were disappointingly minimalistic - the main course was barely starter-sized. Still hungry after pudding, we asked for cheese. The cheeseboard was minimalistic too. We decided to cancel the booking for the next night and ate out up the road in Bistro 5, run by a delightful Breton and the best value in Bath.

Back at the hotel, the continental breakfast was plentiful (they've obviously taken note of previous reviews). We opted for cooked breakfast, for which we had to pay, but it was excellent - the eggs, bacon and black pudding were delicious, but we thought the sausages were supermarket.

Overall, this is a lovely, small, friendly hotel. The food is superb. We would have happily eaten there on the second night, if the portions weren't so mean. The prices are high - £10 per head for the cheese course alone. Now it may be that the 'inclusive' dinner is just a taster of what you could have, but that's no way to run a restaurant. Within five minutes' walk of the hotel are two award-winning, competitively-priced Bistros. Just head for Pulteney Bridge and you won't be disappointed. Book ahead though - these places are popular.

Dukes is a beautiful building and our room was lovely, but the heated towel rail didn't work and two light bulbs were dead. We mentioned this to reception on our way down to dinner on the first night and were assured they'd attend to it. They didn't.

I don't know the hotel business in Bath, but it must be pretty competitive from the number of similar hotels nearby. This place isn't cheap by any means, and maybe they should think about including a cooked breakfast and dropping the 'inclusive' dinner. The way the food is presented must be costly and labour-intensive and the effect of the presentation is lost in the face of the tiny portions. Better serve decent portions more simply than have an empty restaurant.

Absolutely perfect

by TripAdvisor Member hsanger

We stayed at the Dukes Hotel back in February of this year but I've only just now begun writing reviews on Trip Advisor...

My husband booked a long weekend at this hotel for my birthday and we were so pleased with it. The staff were very friendly, the room (Rutland, I believe it was) was large and beautifuly furnished, and our dinner in the Cavendsh restaurant was absolutely wonderful.

It was very convenient from the train station. Although you could walk it quite quickly and easily, we took a cab (which were readily available at the station) which cost less than 5 quid.

I would certainly recomend this hotel for a romantic weekend in beautiful Bath! We loved every minute of it! (And I am not easily impressed when it comes to hotels...)

Wonderful Weekend

by TripAdvisor Member foxiness

We have just returned after staying at this hotel for the weekend. We visited wtih our 17 month old daughter, and had the Beaufort Suite. This was perfect as our daughter won't sleep in the same room as us otherwise she would think it was play time all night long! The hotel put a cot in the seating area of the suite, which meant we could come and go as we pleased since the sutie had a hallway with doors to the seating area and the bedroom. We had dinner in the restaurant, well, my husband did, as I'm on a strange diet where I can only eat foodpacks. The chef was incredibly kind and made my packs up for me, and didn't treat me like a piriah in his award winning restaurant!

All in all we had the most wonderful time, all the staff made a huge fuss of our daughter, eating out in the restaurant (albeit with a baby monitor!) made us feel like we'd had 2 nights out - very rare!

I cannot recommend this hotel enough, I find that staying in hotels with little ones is so difficult, but they were exceptional.

Wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member Paula I

Stayed for my big 40! The hotel staff made it a birthday to remember. My husband arranged a few surprises - roses, chocolates etc., the staff didn't let him down, everything went to plan, they also gave us an upgrade to one of the beautiful suites. We ate in the restaurant the first evening, the food and service were both excellent. The whole experience was a one that will stay with both of us. The hotel, staff and surroundings were all top class. I'm just looking for another excuse to indulge and go back!!

Cannot recommend it highly enough

by TripAdvisor Member EmmaMaersk

We have just had our third stay at Duke's. Perhaps the highest recommendation we can give is that we only live 1.5 miles from the hotel!

We have stayed there on three occasions in the last four years and each stay has been magic. The rooms are superb, the staff friendly and the food fantastic.

We have used the hotel both for weekend breaks and for special occasions. In each case we have been provided with the experience we wanted in a stylish and calm way.

If you are looking for a quiet, centrally located and luxurious hotel in Bath Duke's is well worth considering. The atmosphere is calm and welcoming, the decor entirely in keeping with the delightful Georgian City.

We have no hesitation in recommending Dukes to discerning travellers.

My Favorite hotel in Bath

by TripAdvisor Member Saraf1

This was our second stay at Dukes, after spending a wonderful Christmas there in 2006, I decided it would be a great place to hold my mothers 80th birthday party. We had friends and relatives from all over the UK coming and the hotel made it so easy to make a Multi room booking, they have a room connected to the dining room which made it even more special, we had this room at no extra cost and enjoyed a really spectacular lunch there.
The staff our wonderful and nothing was to much trouble, Mike the reception manager was attentive and caring and they made my mothers birthday extra special and one we will never forget. I have already asked them to send me the Xmas brochure when it comes out.
If you are looking for a classic Georgian hotel, with excellent food accommodation and out standing service please make sure you try this one.
I would like to thank them all again for a trip we will never forget!!!

Wonderful street - Great hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member Mildew

Booked a weekend break at the Dukes Hotel and was very pleased when we arrived in one of the loveliest streets in Bath - Pulteney Street. The hotel is just on the corner of this street and small side street which made parking very easy - just given a pass by the hotel and my husband found a space about 20 yds down the street! Perfect!
Our room was on the second floor overlooking the front - the only complaint I have was that even with the lights on it was very dark - also one bedside light bulb had blown and not been replaced but that was quickly fixed! However the bathroom was extremely bright so if we needed extra light we just went in there!
Large comfy bed (two singles pushed together) with kingsize duvet cover, spare duvets/blankets in the cupboard but not needed.
Tray with usual teas/coffees etc - nothing exceptional.
Dinner in the restaurant on the first night was wonderful and although my husband complained at the 'nouvelle cuisine' portions, we were both full at the end and the wine and the service was perfect!!
Wonderfully placed hotel to see Bath - never used the car - just walked everywhere - lots to do and see, including a night at the Theatre! Definitely would recommend and will return if we return to Bath!

Lovely hotel

by TripAdvisor Member oakleyWestSussex

Stayed here for one night with our teenage daughters to visit Bath. We all thought that the hotel was great. The staff are all very friendly and helpful, real personal service with care. The decor and cleanliness of the rooms is to a high standard. Each room is individual, which we really like. The structure is a listed building and has been sympathetically restored - no lift so be warned. My husband and I had breakfast in the restaurant which was excellent , freshly cooked and a good choice on the buffet.
They have a restaurant which looked good, using local and organic produce but we did not have a spare evening to try it out.

Comments