Walcot Street, Bath, Somerset, BA1 5BJ, United Kingdom

Booking.com Expedia.com AMOMA.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• My advice: Don't stay in this hotel.

We booked a family room which (according to the plaque on the door) was a 'Plaza Room'. This term turned out to refer to the price not the accomodation. Into a normal sized hotel bedroom they had squeezed a 'king sized' bed (two singles pushed together) and a sofa bed. So there was little room for three adults to move around in. We paid 175GBP a night (reduced from 200+GBP) but to get this 'special' price we had to pay upfront in full with no refund. That was a pity because the misgivings we felt from our arrival, when no-one helped with our luggage and there was no offer forthcoming as we checked in, crystallized when we saw our room and we would have gone elsewhere but for that fact. There was no airconditioning and the complimentary extras (half a bottle of wine, some fruit and some biscuits) were no more than a sop. The hotel touts its 2m GBP facelift but there was no evidence of it on our floor. The ceiling on our 2nd floor corridor had holes in places and there were water stains on the carpet. The exterior is an ugly block which has been artfully photographed to hide the fact on the website and the most attractive thing about the interior is the view of the river. Service left a lot to be desired. We wanted some laundry done but were told they don't do it at the weekend and we only found out when we asked why it had not been collected. On our first full day the bathroom was not cleaned properly and dirty glasses were left on the table. They also got our newspaper order wrong twice. The mistake was corrected when we complained but, at the price we paid, it should not have happened in the first place. We are Hilton Honours members and have stayed in Hilton hotels worldwide, which they knew, and only chose this hotel out of (misplaced) loyalty. It is clearly aimed at business travellers. I would advise anyone else to choose another one.

Unique Quality: The only thing I can recommend this hotel for is the great breakfast.

Directions: Centrally placed close to shops and attractions, which they use as a selling point but in fact there are at least another half a dozen (probably less expensive) hotels equally well situated.

• captjosh's Profile Photo

Great location and value

Service was very professional. We arrived 4-5 hours before check-in time, out of the pouring rain, and were given our room early with no addtional charge.

We upgraded to a "family size" room, though it was just the two of us. The room was HUGE with living area and a wonderful view of the river. I "peeked" into a few of the standard rooms (while being cleaned) and they seemed a little small, but no smaller than the typical European hotel room.

Breakfast, included in our rate, was a full buffet with everything you could imagine, including haggus and blood pudding.

We would go back to this property in a heartbeat.

Unique Quality: Great view of river and city. Close to everything.

Directions: Excellent location. Adjacent to indoor mall and grocery store. Pubs and restaurants very close. Tour bus departs 2 blocks from hotel.

More about Hilton Bath City

Better than expected

by TripAdvisor Member IanCol

After reading comments on here, we were not expecting too much.
But the staff were excellent, very courteous and helpful.
The breakfast was the best i've had in any hotel, either in England or abroad.
The room was basic, but clean with plenty of towels, changed daily.
We didn't experience any of the noise mentioned in other reviews, but that could be explained by the fact we visited the hotel in March - generally a quieter month.
Checking in and out was no problem.
The hotel location couldn't have been better.
The only drawback was the £15 per night car parking fee.
But we chose to pay this instead of parking further away.
I wouldn't have any hesitation returning to the Bath Hilton.

Shouted at by the manager for asking for breakfast!

by TripAdvisor Member hrmanager

I have to agree with all of the reviews of this hotel. It was absolutely awful the last time I staed here, about 3 years ago, when I vowed never to stay again. As you can see by the tiltle of my review, the restaurant reflects the pitiful 'management' of this place - I was shouted at for having the audacity to ask when I might be able to come down to the restaurant for breakfast and be seated without queing.They really are quite incapable of doing anything in a sensible fashion in this place and it would be best for all of us if it was simply shut down.

Very Noisy

by TripAdvisor Member svl2001uk

Nice hotel except if you want to stay at the weekends. They reguarly book wedding parties and this was clearly heard in our room. We were offered a discount after repeated calls to reception and a meeting with the manager in the morning. It seems they earn too much from their wedding bookings to care if they disturb the sleep of the guests.

Noisy, service poor, food below average.

by TripAdvisor Member rosa99

Reading through recent reviews of this hotel, I see things haven't changed much. I stayed there 3 years ago - was a treat for my mum after my dad died. Bath is lovely but this hotel isn't! Extremely noisy. TV broke down and it took management nearly 2 hours to come up to look at it. Breakfast was cold (not keen on eating cold toast)!

Complained in writing on my return from Bath but the hotel just offered me a reduction on a future stay in the hotel.

Following the comments given on Hilton Hotel in Bath my husband and I visited the hotel with great anxiety. The two day break had been given to us as a Christmas present from our family. We arrived and were pleasantly greeted at reception, a porter appeared immediately and offered help with the luggage. We were told of the parking arrangements but advised that as we had a car badge parking outside the hotel was free also there were fifteen spaces allocated free of charge at the next door car park for badge holders. The staff throught our stay were very pleasant and helpful the room was exceptionally clean. At the resturant my steak was not cooked as I would have liked it when I complained it was immediately taken away and I was offered another ,it was also deducted from our bill because of the incovienience. We did not experience any noise, and we were there 13th 14th 15th of February 2006 this being half term and Valentine's day. I can only say the hotel is in an excellent location and we really enjoyed our stay there. We are vetrans of Hilton Hotel staying at them for over 30yrs so we know a good one when. we see it

Tired and weary, but OK

by TripAdvisor Member sallymarch

Stayed here for two nights as part of organised function. Room was a bit bland and the bathroom rather tired and worn but bed was OK and sleep was fine. The parking thing is a bit of pain, but was relatively painless. I must admit, I didn't hear lots of noise at night, but I was part of a party which went on 'til 1 a.m., so perhaps I am one of the offenders, but I honestly don't think the noise was excessive and was in a function suite away from the rest of the hotel. The drink prices in the bar were very expensive and out of kilter with the general run-down atmosphere (the tub chairs were worn and grubby). Nevertheless, we had an OK time.

A good experience

by TripAdvisor Member JonnyBLondon

I was worried about my stay at the Hilton in Bath, after reading some of the reviews on this site - but I was pleasantly surprised.

I'm a member of the Hilton Honors Gold VIP scheme, which normally gets you a free room upgrade. On my visit, all the upgraded rooms were full, but we were given bath robes and complimentary wine and chocolates instead - a nice touch.

Dinner was included in my package, and the Zucotta restaurant was very nice, although the Anti Pasti bar isn't really very italian - mostly coleslaw and salad. The main courses on the other hand were delicious. Breakfast was served here too and was much better than any breakfast I've had in any other Hilton's in the UK. Staff were pleasant and helpful, and the organisation was excellent.

The room was quite small but clean and comfortable, with a lovely view over Bath and the river. I didn't experience any noise problems, but the hotel did seem very quiet in general.

The hotel is ideally located and only a short walk from all the shopping, attractions, and restaurants in Bath. I think i would stay here again if I decided to come back to Bath. A lovely town, and a perfectly pleasant hotel.

Not a great Hilton, but certainly not a bad one

by TripAdvisor Member terryjgardner

This hotel is nicely located, within easy walking distance to shops and restaurants. Not as opulent as Hilton Hotels in the states, it nevertheless is a good value.

The author cannot comment on the parking woes, having come in on the train and taxi.

The hotel restaurant is merely average, but why bother when there are so many good restaurants nearby? The author will never understand fellow Americans' complaints about food in England. Don't miss the local Indian restaurants.

The guest rooms are showing their age, but still quite adequate. Service is good, the guest rooms are well-maintained.

Bath Hilton

by dldkag

Has anyone stayed at the Bath Hilton and could offer an assessment? I'm considering booking their for a night in July, and I wanted to make sure it was comfortable and in a good location. Thanks for any help.

by brazzi

if it is bath city hilton,there is nothing more central.
im sure its up to the usual hilton standards.

by dave.richards

Have you checked their web site at http://www.hilton.co.uk/bathcity?WT.srch=1 ?
Out of interest I checked their prices. A one night stay cost upwards of £150, doesn't appear to include breakfast and to park your car at the hotel costs £9.50!
It seems that they are aiming to get the American type tourist who don't mind about the cost as much as the Hilton name.
I'm sure you can get a decent quality hotel for a lot less that this in Bath and an example is the Ayrlington hotel, which is also a 5 star establishment. Rooms cost from £80, includes a full English breakfast and secure parking is free. http://www.ayrlington.com/

by brazzi

yes dave not in my price bracket, but like you say
they probably aim at the american type,and the original post was american.
so i guessed he already knows hilton prices,and passed comment on location which was part of the original question.

by dave.richards

The comparitive hotel I mentioned is also in the heart of Bath, so are several others.
Sorry if I offend anyone, but if someone is willing to put prestige above cost they have more money than sense.
For the price difference between these hotels you could hire a large saloon car for touring while on holiday.

by dldkag

No offense taken. I appreciate the candid comments. My trip through Bath is related to business travel, so the gaining of "hotel points" becomes part of the decision in choosing accomodations. Price also becomes a bit less of an issue (all hotels will be cheap relative to the room cost in London). I do, though, appreciate your suggestions of other more unique places in the Bath city center. Any other suggestions would be no less welcome. Thanks in advance.

by brazzi

no offence taken either dave,cost to me is most important as long as it is clean and welcoming.
most of my travels are budget based,it is my trump card when blagging a few days
away on my own.
back to Bath it seems from what i have seen,Bath is very compact,and everywhere
reachable on foot