Sydney Road, Bath, Somerset, BA2 6JF, United Kingdom

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• SurfaceTravel's Profile Photo

very nice, but formal and out of the way

We stayed there as a weekend getaway from London. It is an excellent hotel, very posh, and luxuriously decorated and furnished. Service is very good by British standards.

Meals were delicious but very formal, as intended by the hotel. It is located about one kilometre away from the central tourist sites in Bath.

The room was also luxurious, as was the en-suite bathroom.

I don't think we would stay there again; I think we would look for a place closer to the centre of town.

Unique Quality: The atmosphere there is very quiet old-fashioned stiff British formal. We've been to as fine or finer other hotels elsewhere in the world, so we know it is possible to have exemplary luxury without such restrictive formality.

Directions: One kilometre away from the central tourist sites in Bath

More about Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel

Fantastic stay!

We stayed at the Bath Spa Hotel over a weekend, and consider the hotel to be outstanding. The staff were really pleasant and made us feel welcome, and whilst the hotel is expensive we are planning to return again!

Superb service

by TripAdvisor Member capatan

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Bath Spa Hotel for our anniversary and absolutely loved it. Other reviews of this hotel made me a little nervous about booking, but it certainly lived up to its 5* status. The staff made us feel extremely welcome and the friendly, unstuffy atmosphere made us feel at home. The room was very good, clean, tastefully decorated, and large for a standard double. I would defiantly recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to visit Bath.

Beautiful Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Jenandjohn

My family and I stayed here for 2nights recently. We were really impressed with the Bath Spa Hotel and would definately use it again. It is a beautiful building (like all the other buildings in Bath), nice rooms and public areas. You can easily walk into Bath within 10 minutes and explore this wonderful city. Slight downsides are the leisure centre isn't anything special, although they are in the process of creating a new one, which I'm sure will be more in keeping with the rest of the hotel. Also because of the building work, it can be quite noisy outside your window in the morning (probably only during the week). We had some weird horn go off outside our door at 9am one morning - still we needed to get up anyway! The restaurants are really expensive - drinks in the bar astronomical! £14 for a champagne cocktail! However if you can stretch to these prices it is all very nice and you have got lots of cheaper alternative eating and drinking places in Bath anyway.
Overall we thought it was lovely and when we can save up we'll go again!!

OK, but not 5*, more 4*

by TripAdvisor Member cardiff010

The drive up to the hotel, revealling the beautiful exterior of the hotel, was very impressive. The porter was excellent. Reception staff not particularly welcoming, but did their job adequately. The circulation areas of the hotel are wonderful. The room we had was very small, and not the picture portrayed on their website. I must say that the staff in the gym/pool area were excellent, very welcoming and warm, also, the pool/jacuzzi area was very clean and well presented - these two factors are a credit to the hotel. Restaurants good quality. Some areas/rooms did appear dated, but I understand a refurbishment is due shortly - hopefully it will then live up to its 5 stars.....If you want 5* surroundings and service, stay at the St Davids Hotel & Spa in Cardiff Bay - that was first class 5* all the way.

wonderful weekend

by TripAdvisor Member RIPOW

I stayed here with my husband for the Easter weekend and had a wonderful time. I would like to know what some of the reviewers consider is necessary for 5 star rating when they consider that the Bath Spa is only 4 star. everyone was very friendly and helpful, everywhere was spotlessly clean, the gardens were really nice and it was a lovely walk into town but a steep drag back (taxi an essential). I would recommend it to anyone. The breakfast was really good but I would not like to pay £17.50 for it!

Comfortable Quality

by TripAdvisor Member James020

We stayed here for two nights during mid week. The room was large by UK standards and very well furnished. Excellent views from top floor bedroom over the city. The gardens and location of the hotel very attractive. Enjoyed both breakfast and dinner in the Alfresco resteraunt, good food and service. A very comfortable hotel with a good location, outside the city center but within easy reach.
Some rebuilding taking place at the rear of the hotel, with extended leisure facilities, but this did not detract from an enjoyable stay.

Let them eat cake (or maybe not)

by TripAdvisor Member tcf

My family stayed at this establishment some years ago, for three nights to mark my parents landmark wedding anniversary. My father had pre-ordered a very special (and expensive) cake from the hotel - to be brought out at an appropriate moment.

It was indeed a lovely cake, though rather too big to eat in one sitting. Therefore the maitre offered to save the remains (at least 2/3 were left) for the following evening.

However, when we requested the cake the following evening, the maitre informed us that the kitchen staff - presumably so proud of their creation - had eaten it.

How considerably innovative of them!

In terms of the hotel in general, the chairs in the dining room are outrageously uncomfortable, forcing you to stick out your arms at a regimented 90 degrees to your body.

On the plus side, the marble bathrooms in this hotel are very nice (suspected serious overspend). The gardens with the grotto are pretty too.

Just don't pre-order cake.

Good Hotel, Great Rate

We stayed here overnight on August Bank Holiday 05. The choice was limited due to the number of hotels/b&b's in Bath that require a 2 or 3 night stay at weekends.

We got a great deal 99 quid for double room from last minute. The room was on the small size but had all mod cons (except a hairdryer?!) and lovely high ceilings. The grounds and public rooms are well kept and the staff very friendly. We usually stay at the Royal Crescent but opted for this one due to a tight budget and we weren't disappointed.

We too were amused by the breakfast charge 17.50 each plus 12.5% discretionary charge & an extra fiver if you have it in your room but this is not unusual in this type of hotel and we simply ate in town. Can't comment on the spa or dining facilities but overall a quality hotel if you can get a good deal.

Nice hotel with major problems with service

by TripAdvisor Member Mike23

We stayed at the Macdonald Spa Hotel on the 26th of August. We got a deal through lastminute for £100 for a double room.

The hotel turned out to be very nice, but with many problems.

The hotel gardens and location are absolutely amazing. Also, the lobby as well as the restaurants are very pretty.

However, upon arrival we did not get a requested room with a kingsize bed, so I asked for a new room. The reception staff were not helpful.

In the new room (with a view on a construction site) the in-room safe did not work. Also, one of the bedside lamps did not work. I reported it to the reception staff, so that they could fix it by the time we got back from town - but they completely ignored the request.

Further problems included holes in the bedsheets, completely worn out ironing board in the room, and dirty carper & walls. Since this is a 5* hotel that was completely unacceptable.

Comments