Marlborough House

1 Marlborough Lane, Bath, BA1 2NQ, United Kingdom

More about Bath

Bath AbbeyBath Abbey

Map of Bath (Medieval)Map of Bath (Medieval)

Bath AbbeyBath Abbey

Lots of cheeses and a helpful young womanLots of cheeses and a helpful young woman

Staying along the Kennet and Avon Canal in Bath

by londonlover

Hello again all,

I'm trying to decide on a special B&B in Bath for my September stay. I have it narrowed down to three places: Villa Magdala adjoining Henrietta Park, Ayrlington House on Pulteney Road, and Tolley Cottage along the Kennet and Avon Canal. I've found plenty of reviews on tripadvisor.com of the first two places (good and lukewarm), but I can't find anybody who's stayed at Tolley Cottage (http://tolleycottage.co.uk). It looks adorable, but I don't know whether staying in a B&B overlooking the canal is desirable compared to the other options. Is the canal at all neglected/dirty? Its location from the center of town isn't far, but I wish I had a review or two of the cottage and/or that area of town. I can't find another inn that is in that same area along the canal.

Any suggestions or advice? Thanks!

RE: Staying along the Kennet and Avon Canal in Bath

by leics

I know nothing specific about this b&b, except that it looks very pleasant indeed (and has been 'recommended' by various sites, which is a good indicator). I suspect any canal passing through any part of central Bath will be extremely well cared-for (and the Kennet and Avon is a popular boating canal anyway, so it will be well-maintained), because the town benefits greatly from tourism. Don't think you need to be concerned, but maybe a Bath Vter can shed some more light.

Travel Tips for Bath

Street artists

by Gillianina

It was fun to find out that in Bath there are a lot of street artists, which are kind of attractions of the city together with monuments and buldings! I have to add that they don't lack fantasy!
This was my favourite one, who was playing a saw like a violin! And he was there each time that I was in Bath!!

The Bath museum

by Kodi01

This is a new hairdo for the ancient period. There are many things to see inside this museum that the Romans once came for many many miles to these spas.

I work in the beauty industry so I shall change my style......hehe

Dyrham Park - Dutch art in the English countryside

by pedersdottir

A house-within-a-house. The dining hall and old reception room display the 17th century Tudor heart of this manor, originally built in the Dutch style. The exterior is a Baroque overlay covering the many extensions that were added between 1692 and 1704.

Over 300 years of history are reflected in the furnishings. The collections of Delftware and fine Dutch paintings draw many visitors. Others come to stroll the gardens or to picnic on the grounds. Personally, I enjoyed the amazing complex of kitchens and dairy which led directly to the Courtyard Tearoom - and a welcome break from what seemed like miles of stairwells!

For souvenir hunters there is a National Trust gift shop on the premises. The park grounds are open all year from 11:00 am to dusk. The manor house and garden may be viewed from March to October, Fridays to Tuesdays only, from noon to 5:00 pm. Admissions range from L 4.10 for children to L 8.30 for adults.

Dyrham Park is 8 miles north of Bath with bus service departing from the Manvers St. bus station. (The station info desk will provide schedules and fares).
NOTE: From the Park entrance it is a hilly walk of 10-15 minutes (occasionally past herds of deer and cattle!) to reach the manor and the tearoom. Allow adequate time for your return walk to the bus stop.

Driving in Bath

by feline01

We learned from experience that if driving in Bath, just look for a car park that has empty spaces and pay to park. It's not worth driving around looking for a space and many of the roads are twisty, one-way city roads that are often extremely congested. Many of the sights are within walking distance to each other.

Drinking the Waters

by grandmaR about The Pump Room

We ended up after the tour at the Pump Room. I had thought we might have tea, but it was full and we didn't want to wait or pay to drink the waters. I heard later that the service was terrible.

Morning coffee is served from 09.30 to 12.00, lunch from 12.00 to 14.30 and afternoon tea from 14.30 until close, which is usually at 16.30 or later, but may sometimes be at 16.00.

Comments