Mercure Francis Hotel

Queen Square, (formerly Macdonald Francis Hotel), Bath, Somerset, BA1 2HH, United Kingdom

Francis Hotel Bath, MGallery Collection
Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Great city centre location

This is a rather old fashioned hotel in a great location. Rooms are spread out through the six townhouses that have been combined to create it, making for sprawling corridors and a somewhat confusing layout. To reach my room, for instance, I had to go up one flight of stairs (there is a lift as an alternative), along two corridors and back down a different flight (no lift here though). Once there I found a good sized room with a comfortable double bed; a small bathroom with slightly faded appearance and an apparently unmoveable shower tap, but nice toiletries and soft white towels; traditional décor and a small TV with very limited channels. It was more than adequate for my one night stay but if you’re looking for something a little fancier you might consider upgrading to a superior room for £15 extra on your bill.

My stay cost £87 (special government rate) and included a full English breakfast served buffet style. I’m not keen on eggs that have sat on a hot-plate so I stuck to fresh fruit salad and some excellent crusty bread with cheese, and was very happy with my meal.

Directions: On the south side of Queen Square

• Maidstoneman's Profile Photo

Fantastic Hotel

This hotel is now part of the Mercure empire and I cannot recommend the Francis Hotel more highly. We stayed there for three nights in June 08 and were given room 129 on the first floor at the rear of the hotel. It had recently been refurbished and had the largest bed we have ever seen! The curtains had blackout lining and the bathroom was well equipped. The car park can hold about 30 cars but I am not sure of arrangements when it is full. The staff were all very friendly and efficient – especially the young lady in the bar who was pleased to have someone to talk to, it was so quiet.

The public areas are well decorated and there is a peaceful atmosphere throughout. Whilst the exterior is typically Georgian, the refurbished areas are minimalist 21st century with entrancing blue down lighters highlighting each bedroom door.

We didn’t eat in the hotel, taking waitress-served breakfast in Jolly`s nearby department store for £3.35!

This has to be the best located hotel in the city with every attraction within 5 minutes walk, and we will certainly stay there again when next visiting Bath.

• pedersdottir's Profile Photo

Queen Square slow-mo

The Francis belongs to the Macdonald Hotels group. It describes itself as 'the epitome of Georgian elegance in the very heart of Bath'. I would describe it as a substandard link in a mass market chain.

Located on Queen Square and handy to the shopping district on Milsom Street, the hotel presents a handsome enough exterior. Fittings and furnishings are in subdued tones of Queen Anne style. Perhaps the faulty plumbing was a clue that something was amiss...... Management has become accustomed to having a captive audience of tour groups. Staff seem to have lost the personal touch of dealing with an individual traveler. The bartender was surly. Diners directed to the lounge were left to wait 30 minutes before a waitress appeared. Upon arrival she managed to take an order from only 1 of the 3 tables where customers were seated. A further 30 minutes elapsed with no sign of either food OR waitress.

Unique Quality: The hotel is reputed to be popular with the pre-theatre supper crowd. I have trouble believing it.

More about Mercure Francis Hotel

Children should not be seen, nor heard

by TripAdvisor Member tcf

I'll never forget New Year's Eve a few years back when as a child I wasn't allowed into the dining room to celebrate it. The hotel's policy, not mentioned until arrival, was that children shouldn't ne seen nor heard at this event. And so I just sat in the room thoroughly crestfallen, despite the occasional visit from my parents bearing heaped plates of stodge etc. I would understand if I was posessive of ADHD or something, but really, what a ridiculous attitude!

Pleasant stay

We stayed here with our 2 kids for one night in a four poster room. They put in an extra bed and made up the pull out sofa for the kids. The room was spacious and clean, as was the bath room. The staff were friendly and the location is central. The breatfast was fine with a reasonable choice of hot stuff and croisants etc. The room is indeed something of a faded glory and is in need of a bit of a tidy up, decorwise. No real complaints, except that it is rather pricey.

Tatty, Badly-Run and Over-Priced

by TripAdvisor Member KentCouple

On the spur of the moment we decided to stop over in Bath on our way home from Cornwall - parked our car on Queens Square, saw the offer of cheap rates outside what looked like a character hotel.

On entering we eventually found the Reception Desk tucked away in a corner almost as an after-thought, but decided to try the hotel, if only for its convenient location. We asked about the cheap rates being advertised outside and were quoted £113 pounds for the night, which both of us queried, but as the rate seemed reasonable decided to upgrade for the £50 advertised on the poster next to the reception desk to a 4-Poster Room - we subsequently found out that in spite of both of us having queried the rate, the true rate was £130, not £113 (the error being due to the fact that the person behind Recption had a very poor command of English - something which we were later to find was a major problem, principally due to the high number of Eastern European staff being employed at the hotel - obviously cost is more important than service) - on top of this the Recptionist INSISTED that we should pay £60 for the upgrade, rather than the £50 advertised on the poster right next to him - he came out from behind the desk THREE times to check it - eventually we had to talk to an English Manager who admitted their error and amended the rates.

We then tried to check into the room, but a workman was still in there, with part of the bathroom celing on the floor - eventually we returned much later to find the panel back where it should be, but covered in oily fingerprints.

We could go on about the windows only being single-glazed in spite of the hotel being right on a major thoroughfare, the water pouring onto the floor from the shower in spite of extremely low water pressure (as we checked out another guest was threatening to sue the hotel as he had just slipped on water which had escaped from his shower and seriously damaged his spine), the extremely aggressive Eastern European staff in the Breakfast Room and the major lack of food in the Breakfast Room in spite of arriving more than 30 minutes before the end of breakfast, but we think that you get the gist.

Basically, this is a tired, dated, tatty hotel where costs are being cut to the bone, both on staff and, even more worryingly, on basic maintenance, and where the owners are simpy trying to maximize income while minimizing expenses.

Even if this is the only place left in town, we suggest trying Bristol if you want somewhere acceptable to stay !!!

A joke of a hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Sal123

The carpark was woefully small and no spaces were available when we arrived. The sign at reception, telling you that the extortionate carparking fee will be automatically added to your bill, summed up the mean and poorly thought out nature of the hotel. In our room, there was a little sign next to the ice bucket "complimentary water" sadly the water was no where to be seen. Service at dinner was appauling. The room was rather shabby.

A hotel that gives a strong impression that they just don't care.

A Little faded but nice atmosphere

by TripAdvisor Member hrmanager

Haven't stayed here for a while but have stayed on numerous occassions. I would agree that it is a little tatty in places and parking is not easy. Also, reception staff not that friendly. However, it is a very attractive building, really excellent , central position and I've always found the food to be really nice and all non reception staff to be very helpful and pleasant. Since I last stayed it has been refurbished (in the process of it during my stay in August 2003) so I would have expected it to be in better condition than some of the reviews would suggest. I've given up staying here in favour of The Bath Spa, it's sister hotel, which I do prefer and have recently written a favourable review about. However, The Spa is much more expensive and I consider The Francis a good choice for the price.

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member BerOB

Stayed in this hotel one night to enjoy the city of Bath. Apart from one frosty receptionist we found the rest of the hotel staff to be most helpful especially the porter who helps you into very tight parking spaces.
Ok the decor is a little faded but its a lovely old world hotel in the heart of the city.
I would definately stay here again.
I booked the rooms through the internet and got a very good rate I would advise to do same.

Good location

Location is excellent. Easy walking distance to all the main attractions. The rooms are a little old and our beds were uncomfortable, but they were tolerable for a night. Biggest complaint was the noise - the walls are paper thin!

painting of a woman by T H ROLANDE in Francis Hotel Bath

by sussexman

my wife and stayed recently in the inviting Francis Hotel and saw in the lounge a beautiful painting of a woman in 18th or early 19th century dress. enquiries with the Hotel only revealed from the archive the artists name T H Rolande, but not the identity of the woman concerned. Has anybody seen this painting and has any idea of the identity ? I have a photo of this which I can email to interested travellers if they can send me their contact via VT email, as it would be really interesting to know who this mystery woman is?

Re: painting of a woman by T H ROLANDE in Francis Hotel Bath

by Sjalen

I'm getting curious. Please mail me the photo :)

Comments