Oldfields Hotel

Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

More about Oldfields Hotel

Can't be faulted

by TripAdvisor Member MaryLC

I don't think I've ever seen such shiny taps in a hotel - Oldfields was spotless. Not too far from the sights, and the hill leading to the hotel is quite long rather than steep (a taxi from the city centre costs around £3.50-£4.00 for the faint of heart). Excellent cooked breakfast - particularly the scrambled eggs and salmon - and decent coffee. Lovely lounge with open fire and comfy sofas for guests. Management couldn't have been more helpful and the overall service was cheerful and efficient. My single room under the eaves was small, but beautifully put together, with modern furniture, complementary mineral water, tea and coffee tray, a choice of 3 (slightly elderly) magazines and Molton Brown toiletries.
Booking was totally stress-free, and a discount was offered spontaneously for my stay of more than 3 nights. Info on restaurants and the necessary directions etc. was also helpfully sent out with the booking confirmation.

Really enjoyed Oldfields

by TripAdvisor Member golftraveller9

We have just returned from a 3 day stay at Oldfields where as a party of 5 adults we occupied 3 rooms. My husband and I had room 10 with king sized bed, jacuzzi bath and flat screen TV. We thought the decor was excellent and there were tea and coffee making facilities in the room. Our breakfast was wonderful with a good selection of cereals, fruit and fruit juices plus either full English breakfast, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs or continental.
We found the staff were extremely helpful. They offered to book a restaurant for Friday night and we enjoyed Tilleys Bistro so much that we returned again on the Saturday night.

The lounge is comfortable with plenty of easy chairs, a fire and complimentary newspapers plus tea and coffee. We would all definitely return to Oldfields.

Very Enjoyable

by TripAdvisor Member Nick26

Was expecting a lot having read the reviews on this site, and it pretty much lived up to the billing.
Room was comfortable, if not large, with a great view over the city. The breakfast options were vast and very tasty and the staff were helpful.
A bit further out of town than would have liked, but the walk was no real hardship.
Would come again.

Lots of good points - a few bad points

Recently stayed at this hotel for a weekend break with my boyfiend. Great friendly welcome on arrival - showed to room, given lots of info on eating out/location etc...

Our hotel room was good, really clean and warm, and had some beautiful views of the city. The bathroom was tiny but had an excellent power shower. Room was equipped with a dvd player and dvds were available from reception.

Breakfast was great, lots of choice and of excellent quality, however the breakfast slot is quite small from 8 am - 9.15 am.

I was not really taken by the location of the hotel, the walk into town is pretty grim, walking past litter by the railway arches and sick on the pavements and then negotiating the busy road at the bottom of the hill - not great. It's also a bit desolate late at night.

Another downside is the parking. Although it's great that the hotel supplies parking as many don't, the car park is tiny and so your car may be blocked in, forcing you to leave your keys at reception. We found this a bit of a pain as it seems like a drag to get your car out if you decide you fancy a trip out. However the hotel does have some permits for parking on the adjacent street.

Oldfields really has many more plus points than minus points, it's a really lovely place to stay in Bath and we will be recommending to friends and family.

Mostly Lovely

by TripAdvisor Member Deenie_G

My boyfriend and I spent a weekend at Oldfields recently, and on the whole it was lovely.

Booking over the internet was fuss-free, with prompt and helpful replies to all my e-mails. On arrival we found that the car park was full and we had to park on the road. (The hotel provided a permit for this, but one of the reasons we chose this hotel was for the security of off-road parking so we were a bit disappointed.)

We received a warm welcome from the lady in reception and were offered advice on where to eat and getting around. She also helped us carry our luggage up the stairs.

The room was nicely decorated and absolutely spotless, but a little on the small side. The wardrobe was barely big enough for two suits, and our coats wouldn't fit at all.

The bathroom was also small, with a minute wash basin that made it impossible to wash your face without splashing water over your feet. The extractor vent was very noisy and couldn't cope with the steam from one short shower - I emerged to find water pouring down the walls and dripping from the doorframe. The shower was wonderfully powerful, though.

Location-wise we found the hotel quite convenient. Oldfield Park isn't the smartest area of Bath, but even a shabby part of Bath is nicer than the posh areas of some towns! The walk into town was an easy, ten-minute downhill stroll. The walk back was not so easy, but taxis are plentiful. We had no trouble finding one even at 11.30pm on a Saturday.

There were thoughtful touches like maqazines and mineral water on the bedside tables, a proper hairdryer that you don't have to stick your head into a drawer to use, and a DVD player in the room (which we didn't use...but it was nice that it was there). And the cooked breakfast was scrummy!

My only other complaint is that the central heating made a noise like someone banging constantly on the wall for about 15 minutes every time it came on.

If it weren't for the parking problem, the noisy vent and heating, and the smallness of the room I would give Oldfields top marks. It's lovely, but a bit over-priced considering these not serious, but irritating faults.

Oldfields - Good

Booked for 3 couples - all three rooms were good.
Comfortable beds, and lovely atmosphere.

Breakfast very nice.
Location is good with nice views across Bath. Refreshing walk (5-10 mins) to the city centre.
Friendly staff.

Beautful hotel!

Beautiful loft room, small but had a lovely view. Only stayed for one night so was perfect for me and my boyfriend. Shower was hot but not very powerful. Breakfast was lovely, although finishes at 915 which was a shame and check out at 1030. Way too early for my liking. Friendly staff, really nice location only a short 10 min walk into city centre. Disappointed that there were no on-site parking spaces available, but were given a permit to park on the street outside.
Would definitely stay again but in a different room.

Comfortable hotel for the weekend

by TripAdvisor Member Briquenay

A warm welcome and helpful staff. Comfortable clean room with TV, tea/coffee/biscuits, firmish bed. A variety of breakfasts - English, continental, vegetariam. Newspapers in the lounge for residents.

Definately worth the uphill walk

by TripAdvisor Member millsy38

We really struggled to find a hotel with availability just a week before we wanted to stay, so were sort of forced to book this and are really glad we did.

We stayed in Room 8, a king size double on the ground floor. The furnishings are beautiful, all Laura Ashley (the nice stuff not the old chintz!). There was a flat screen TV and Tea and Coffee making facilities as well as complimentary bottled water. The bathroom was small but immaculate and the shower was just fab. The Molton Brown is a nice touch. Beware the heated towel rail though - it gets red hot. The room itself was a bit hot too, despite the air conditioning, so we turned that off and opened the window to cool it down, and we certainly didn't need the extra blankets!! The wardrobe was a bit small, but thankfully my husband is tall so we were able to take advantage of the picture rail to hang our clothes from!

Breakfast was lovely, although a bit early.

Bath is a great place to shop, eat and drink. We ate at the Loch Fyne at the top of Milsom Street and both the food and service were good - it was great value for money.

I recommend both the city and the hotel for a great weekend away.

Perfect

by TripAdvisor Member kermer

I stayed at the Oldfields Fri - Sat with my boyfriend and I have to say I cannot fault anything. I booked the best room they do - Superior Four poster with jacuzzi bath - and was not disappointed. The room was bright and spacious as was the bathroom. Everything was also incredibly clean. Breakfast was lovely as was the service (I have to agree with other members and say that if breakfast could finish later on the weekend that would be good).

All staff were friendly and helpful. Parking was not an issue. We took a permit and parked right outside on the road. The walk into town was just 5 minutes and has a fantastic view of the Crescent.

Thermae Bath SpaThermae Bath Spa

Pulteney BridgePulteney Bridge

Sawclose LocationSawclose Location

Tilley's in the foreground, SLunn's with red signTilley's in the foreground, SLunn's with red sign

Comments