Market Place, Radstock, , Somerset, BA3 3AD, United Kingdom
Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

More about Bath

Hospital of St John the BaptistHospital of St John the Baptist

Views along the RiverViews along the River

More Social Housing!More Social Housing!

Historic architecture on Queen SquareHistoric architecture on Queen Square

Tips

by robine

I've just booked a hot air balloon flight over Bath next Saturday evening, and (with difficulty) the night in a hotel. Do any VTers have up-to-date tips on other special things to do/ places to eat and drink?

Thanks in advance, Robin

Re: Tips

by Maurizioago

Your idea about the hot air balloon reminds me of a book and movie; Eighty days around the world. I don't know if the title is right.

Very romantic and old fashion. Not a bad idea, indeed.
I would be afraid to fly in susch a way.

Have a nice travel.

I will be waiting for your pics.

Re: Tips

by mccalpin

Have you been to Bath before, Robin, being so close and all?

Bill

by pedersdottir

Hello Robin:
Of course you will visit Sally Lunn's...? Also the Bathwick Boatman on Forster Rd. and Moon & Sixpence on Broad St. are well-regarded.
I'm looking forward to enjoying Pimpernel's (16 Royal Crescent) and the Paragon Wine Bar and Bistro on my next visit. Up, up and away......

by pieter_jan_v

Robin,

I found the heading of your question in the forum quiet amusing BATH TIPS; this is Google's first hit:

(haha).

And guess what, The Virtual Tourist Bath tips are No.2:

I wish you a great hot air balloon ride. I love the one I did.

PJ

by robine

Many thanks to all, especially Katya. Yes, of course I've been to Bath before, and love it, but I'd never heard of Sally Lunn's - that's the great thing about this site!

RE: Tips

by Night_wolf

I recommend visiting the American museum... I went there a while back, it had loads of great stuff there!

Travel Tips for Bath

The Royal Mineral Water Hospital

by johngayton

This is actually a working hospital here in the centre of Bath, run by the NHS. When it was first established in 1742, built by John Wood Snr, it was known as the Bath General Infirmary yet conversely didn't treat locals only visitors. In its early days it provided cures based on the use of the Bath spring waters (hence the name) but in recent years has become a bit more up-to-date.

It's modern name is now the Royal National Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases and specialises on the treatment, and research, of complex rehabilitation and rheumatology for which it has an international reputation. For more info see website

Local residents will be pleased to know that whilst it still treats many people from all over the world it does now treat locals too!

Getting The Overview

by johngayton

Still within the city centre you can get a great overview of the city by wandering up Landowne Hill until you get to The Old Farmhouse pub. Make a right here and follow Camden Row to its end and then the footpath along the hillside.

From here you get great views over the city and the pub is well worth dropping in for a beer on the way back!

The Grand Parade...

by coceng

This is the sight on The Grand Parade; This is almost a bridge or rather a platform where we can oversee The Weir & The Pulteney Bridge...
Everything was brightly lit when I was there which was really great !

Great Rescue & Meeting Spot!

by Jason&Rali about Pig n' Fiddle

Pig n' Fiddle was our anchor while in Bath. A Local pub that is open all day and most of the night, serving coffee and usual English sustenance, with FREE (yes, FREE for customers) WIRELESS INTERNET ACCESS and some quiet tables in back, we found ourselves coming back again and again to plan out our days over food and coffee or drinks. There is even a big fireplace the courteous help will start for you if you should get caught in a typical English squall (that's "sudden blustery and windy rainstorm", for you landlubbers)! Prices were decent and the food was on par at average or better, though typical pub fare - with a lively crowd after dinner until closing time (11pm? I don't recall!)....and of course, LOTS of beer, though I can't remember anything about it as I *cough* wasn't "sampling"... *cough cough cough*

*grin*

There is pay-parking a block or two north, and a big hotel (Typical USA place; Best Western?) right behind it to the East, as well as a Youth Hostel just 2-3 blocks away. This is the ONLY out-of-the-way place we found in Bath that we could sit and ACCESS THE INTERNET to find hotels (hint: make reservations in advance and read all the reviews!!!)... the food and drinks were a bonus. Good luck finding both in the same place in Bath except at the Pig n' Fiddle- unless you already have both at your hotel. Average pub fare or better- no favorites yet. I had a lot of coffee and cocoa. Get a T-shirt- it's worth it. A VERY memorable place, trust me- you'll remember it long after you leave, even if it is just a pub! Tables by the front can be chilly in cold weather, and up in back too hot if it's crowded. There is also some tables outside for fair weather sitting- or if the smoke is too much for you or the crowd too lively! Welcome to England; Cheers!!!!!!

Give this one a miss

by stevieUK about Martini Restaurant Bath

Martini's was not very good unless you like microwaved calamari, grey looking prawns in filo and a manky 'cod fritter' washed down with a bad Chardonnay and water from a jug the waiter has just sneezed all over,all served up with a dose of major attitude in a room full of kids.Still the bottled water was fizzy - well the one they opened in front of us was, the pre-opened one was very flat... Coke was flat as well. Oh and the med salad seemed to miss most of the advertised content (just had a load of peppers). And they forgot to tell us what was not available until after we'd chosen it and then seemed to want to predict what I was having instead (clearly too busy to let me decide). Still we got home for the end of the footy which was the only good thing I can really say. The pasta main course I had was ok but nothing more and something I could have got cheaper elsewhere. Oh and the Filo pastry prawns were down on the menu as whitebait but the whole dish was so bad I didn't realise until I got home and thought about it. Loads of nice restaurants in Bath including some Italian ones - give this one a miss as it is poor quality, overpriced and served by a team with a real attitude problem! Wouldn't recommend anything but I guess if you end up there try a pizza. Not expensive but for the quality you may as well go somewhere cheaper and more friendly!

Comments