Redcar Hotel

jo104's Profile Photo

Redcar Hotel - Cheap accomodation

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 19, 2007

It is difficult to find a hotel or B&B in Bath that will take a booking for only 1 night in the peak season. So this is the reason we stayed at the Redcar Hotel, despite mixed reviews, it was quite reasonable. As there were 8 of us we had 2 triple rooms & one twin which averaged out at GBP30 each. The breakfast that was included was ok & filling - although the scrambled eggs are a bit suspect.

Now for the negative part of the review, we were placed on the top floor. There is no lift and the rooms are stiflingly hot, we managed to grab a fan left outside but it was small & ineffective. The window only opened a small amount & a breeze was out of the question. I managed to do some improvisation with a coat hanger & forced our window to open to the max. The bathroom was a shower over the bath which was very slippy. Soap & thin towels were provided as is a hair dryer I think. There is big thick blankets which were of no comfort in a room which equated to a sauna. But even with all these circumstances I still managed to sleep, snore & talk in my sleep keeping the third person in the room awake :-(

Unique Quality: There are no photo's of this hotel cause I was not inspired to take any. The beds are comfortable & the rooms are clean.

richard4's Profile Photo

THE COMFORT INN,BATH

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 9, 2004

My stay at the comfort Inn was coloured from the very second I walked in the door and was told to come back in a couple of hours as my room wasn't ready yet even though they knew in advance when I'd be turning up.
I couldn't believe it,here I was clearly tired and with luggage and all the young man and some girl lurking nearby could do was stare at me,NOT GOOD.
The room itself was at best adequate,it was a basic small single room with a bed shower and a tv,with a tv remote that didn't work,plus a rather poor tea coffee selection,which once tried is better left alone.
The facilities available for my mind are quite basic and as such the £60 a night rate is way way too expensive,but of course you are paying for location rather than quality of service.
Whilst the room was warm and clean a more realistic representation of the hotel in it's most basic form would be about £30 a night at best.
The breakfast room is downstairs in what seems like a basement.lighting is minimal,with a strange orangy bulb that was reminisant to a Soho Club,not a Hotel,the decor is instantly forgetable,and the food whilst basic will fill you up,but I ate up quick and got out ASAP as it wasn't a nice place to be.
Whilst I would stay in Bath again I would personally look elsewhere.
The 3 staff I encountered during my stay were all from overseas with haphazard english and a lacklustre attitude that they cared less,not the best public face for a hotel that wants business.

Unique Quality: Basic rooms,POOR STAFF,very basic rough decor,limited facilities,bargin basement hotel.

Directions: An honest but pleasant 10 minute walk from the train station up to Henrietta Street,the Comfort Inn is clearly visible as you turn in to the road ahead of you to your right.

CdnJane's Profile Photo

Good Location for Seeing the City

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 17, 2004

My stay was back in March of 1973, so things may have changed. I'm going on memory but mostly on my diary from that trip. I was 15, traveling with my parents, and this was my first trip to the UK. I kept track of the strangest things... I was very much into dog watching, and listed a lot of the dogs I saw... nothing about boys or fashion, to speak of.
Anyway I did keep track of room numbers... wonder if I should contact these hotels and let them know that CdnJane stayed there???
My impression of the hotel was: Comfortable beds, and pretty nice. I think we ate in the dining room there, as well as having breakfast the next morning.
I have no idea of the price of the room.

Unique Quality: Not a unique quality, but a unique experience... I was wearing contact lenses then, and had quite the process to get them in.. involving a glass of water, and bottles of solutions. The morning we were leaving, I was on my knees, in front of the wall mirror, with this table, and my solutions, etc... when there was a knock on the door. Thinking it was my parents, I called come in... Well there I am on my knees, my index finger pointing upward (my lense was on it), with a white towel... and the paraphenalia... when the lady to do the room opens it up! I suspect she thought I was in the middle of some religious ceremony!!! She apologised and backed out quite quickly... 30+ yrs later, we're still laughing about it!

Nearby Redcar Hotel

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Redcar Hotel

• Bar / Lounge

Bath Travel Forum

Need advice about Bath, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Bath and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Bath hotel reviews