27-29 Henrietta Street, Bath, Somerset, BA2 6LR, United Kingdom

Agoda.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Terrible

• jo104's Profile Photo

Redcar Hotel - Cheap accomodation

It is difficult to find a hotel or B&B in Bath that will take a booking for only 1 night in the peak season. So this is the reason we stayed at the Redcar Hotel, despite mixed reviews, it was quite reasonable. As there were 8 of us we had 2 triple rooms & one twin which averaged out at GBP30 each. The breakfast that was included was ok & filling - although the scrambled eggs are a bit suspect.

Now for the negative part of the review, we were placed on the top floor. There is no lift and the rooms are stiflingly hot, we managed to grab a fan left outside but it was small & ineffective. The window only opened a small amount & a breeze was out of the question. I managed to do some improvisation with a coat hanger & forced our window to open to the max. The bathroom was a shower over the bath which was very slippy. Soap & thin towels were provided as is a hair dryer I think. There is big thick blankets which were of no comfort in a room which equated to a sauna. But even with all these circumstances I still managed to sleep, snore & talk in my sleep keeping the third person in the room awake :-(

Unique Quality: There are no photo's of this hotel cause I was not inspired to take any. The beds are comfortable & the rooms are clean.

• richard4's Profile Photo

THE COMFORT INN,BATH

My stay at the comfort Inn was coloured from the very second I walked in the door and was told to come back in a couple of hours as my room wasn't ready yet even though they knew in advance when I'd be turning up.
    I couldn't believe it,here I was clearly tired and with luggage and all the young man and some girl lurking nearby could do was stare at me,NOT GOOD.
    The room itself was at best adequate,it was a basic small single room with a bed shower and a tv,with a tv remote that didn't work,plus a rather poor tea coffee selection,which once tried is better left alone.
    The facilities available for my mind are quite basic and as such the £60 a night rate is way way too expensive,but of course you are paying for location rather than quality of service.
    Whilst the room was warm and clean a more realistic representation of the hotel in it's most basic form would be about £30 a night at best.
    The breakfast room is downstairs in what seems like a basement.lighting is minimal,with a strange orangy bulb that was reminisant to a Soho Club,not a Hotel,the decor is instantly forgetable,and the food whilst basic will fill you up,but I ate up quick and got out ASAP as it wasn't a nice place to be.
    Whilst I would stay in Bath again I would personally look elsewhere.
    The 3 staff I encountered during my stay were all from overseas with haphazard english and a lacklustre attitude that they cared less,not the best public face for a hotel that wants business.

Unique Quality: Basic rooms,POOR STAFF,very basic rough decor,limited facilities,bargin basement hotel.

Directions: An honest but pleasant 10 minute walk from the train station up to Henrietta Street,the Comfort Inn is clearly visible as you turn in to the road ahead of you to your right.

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

Good Location for Seeing the City

My stay was back in March of 1973, so things may have changed. I'm going on memory but mostly on my diary from that trip. I was 15, traveling with my parents, and this was my first trip to the UK. I kept track of the strangest things... I was very much into dog watching, and listed a lot of the dogs I saw... nothing about boys or fashion, to speak of.
    Anyway I did keep track of room numbers... wonder if I should contact these hotels and let them know that CdnJane stayed there???
    My impression of the hotel was: Comfortable beds, and pretty nice. I think we ate in the dining room there, as well as having breakfast the next morning.
    I have no idea of the price of the room.

Unique Quality: Not a unique quality, but a unique experience... I was wearing contact lenses then, and had quite the process to get them in.. involving a glass of water, and bottles of solutions. The morning we were leaving, I was on my knees, in front of the wall mirror, with this table, and my solutions, etc... when there was a knock on the door. Thinking it was my parents, I called come in... Well there I am on my knees, my index finger pointing upward (my lense was on it), with a white towel... and the paraphenalia... when the lady to do the room opens it up! I suspect she thought I was in the middle of some religious ceremony!!! She apologised and backed out quite quickly... 30+ yrs later, we're still laughing about it!

More about Redcar Hotel

ok stay

by TripAdvisor Member senrab

Our family of four stayed 2 nights at the Redcar hotel on July 16 & 17th2006.The staff were friendly, the bar and lounge area were very pleasant.Breakfast was very good,hot with a nice choice, self serve that ment you could eat as much or as little as you liked.The hotel overall was clean and tidy.The location was perfect and the off street parking an added bonus.We would stay here again.
Gulgong australia

Shabby and Dated

by TripAdvisor Member Katha123rina

My boyfriend booked at night at the Redcar hotel as part of a weekend away present in Bath. The town was lovely, the hotel wasn't. Frankly, it was one of the most hideous places that I've ever stayed at. Shabby interiors, broken furniture, drafty windows (very cold in winter - beware!), mouldy bathroom, funny smell everywhere and so on and so on. We played it save at ate breakfast in a pretty cafe nearby. I felt like in a 70s Carry On film. We took it all with a good sense of hunour.

The location of the hotel is excellent though. It's only a few minutes walkinfg distance from all the touristy bits. The receptionist was also very friendly and even served us drinks in the middle of the night. I wonder how thew poor girl copes with all the complaints from annoyed customers?

Basic, but well located and friendly

The Redcar Hotel is certainly basic, but I think most of the other reviewers have been too harsh! It is a budget hotel (particularly in an expensive city such as Bath) and is a little shabby but incredibly central, located in a beautiful street of Georgian houses, a short walk from the train station. The staff were friendly and helpful.

I stayed there with a friend when competing in the Bath Half marathon and the hotel couldn't have been more convenient, nor more accommodating. Staff were happy to agree a late check-out and allowed us to return after the race to shower and change.

Although the radiator in our room didn't work, as soon as we mentioned this, they immediately provided us with a heater.

This isn't a hotel to choose if you're in Bath for a romantic mini-break, looking for luxury, or expect to spend a lot of time in your hotel room. But if you're just looking for a centrally-located base to enable you to explore Bath, or take part in an activity like the half marathon, it is more than adequate and good value in my opinion!

Ugh - What a lumpy Bed

This hotel was quite a disappointment. Our room just felt dity and the word part was the bed. Absolutely full of lumps. The springs were nearly popping through. I can put up with a lot in a hotel -- but I had the worst night sleep here that I've ever had. Pay the extra $10 and stay somewhere else!!!

Very poor service

After calling the hotel on the morning of our arrival to check there were no problems and being told everything was ok with our reservation, we were told by the receptionist when we arrived that a boiler had broken the day before and our room had no hot water or working shower. We received no real apology for this and were told we could either have a £15 discount of find another holel. The recepionist was extremley unhelpful. There was no real apology or offer to help us find anywhere else to stay. We were not prepared to pay £60 to wash in a sink with cold water so we asked to see the manager who claimed she couldn't give us any more than £15 off. They had no explanation of why they hadn't told us of these problems when we had called that morning. Eventually she offered us another room with hot water and a working shower but gave us the impression she was doing us a favour! The room was tiny, very hot and very shabby with holes in the wall and a wardrobe that almost fell on the floor when opened. The bedding, towels and bathroom were clean. Breakfast was average. Not one of the waiting staff greeted a single guest as they came into the dining room and most seemed to struggle understaning the most basic English when guests tried t speak to them.
On a positive note, this hotel is in a great location but the staff need some customer service and English language training and the whole place (carpets/walls/paintwork etc) needs a good clean.

I am sure there are worst hotels but not by much- Fawlty towers

by TripAdvisor Member Mr_S_Read

My wife and I were very disappointed with the room- stayed in room 103.
The room was damp and their was many staines all over the room- On the walls the bed sheets etc.
The Bathroom door knob was nearly hanging off and the shower curtain which was origianlly white was close to the same orange colour of the toilet roll.
The reception staff were really nice however and breakfast was ok.
Dont even try to park your car in the car park unless you have a smart car!!!
The hotel just needs a complete revamp as everthing just looks dirty and old.

What a place!!!! Find somewhere else!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Barleen

Stayed in Room 106...Opened the window to see a brick wall 2 foot away which would not have mattered as we were only staying one night. It didn't get any better!!

No shampoo, not even a soap dish in the shower to put any soap, shampoo etc. When I asked re shampoo we did get some sent up to our room but when I complained at Reception I was told that no Hotel in Bath provide shampoo.

I asked the very young Lady on Reception when would there be a member of the Management available and she said she was the Manager!!!!

There was nowhere to put a suitcase, hence we were tripping over ours. One very dim ceiling light. Absolutely no room to move. Handles missing off drawers , stained carpets and bedspread. The mattress on the bed....well that left a lot to be desired. It was thin, lumpy and well worn.

Not what we would have expected for £85 per night

Breakfast didn't get much better with tinned fruit, tinned tomatoes a wait of nearly 10 minutes for more eggs to be fried. The coffee ran out and it was another 10 minutes for fresh to arrive if you could call it coffee.

This Hotel needs to close for a complete refurbishment

Comments