The Bath Priory Hotel

Booking.com Expedia.com Priceline.com

More about The Bath Priory Hotel

Restaurant suggestions

by Dabs about none

These are a few restaurant suggestions I've picked up from other websites for my upcoming trip

www.popjoys.co.uk Closed Sundays. Other days serves lunch and dinner, dinner from 6pm. ”

Pimpernel’s: Royal Crescent Hotel, 16 Royal Crescent, www.royalcrescent.co.uk Open 7 days, serves afternoon tea.

The Bath Priory, Weston Road, www.thebathpriory.co.uk hotel and restaurant

Fishworks Seafood Café, 6 Green St, www.fishworks.co.uk Open Tues-Saturday, and Sunday lunch during the summer.

Sally Lunn’s: 9 North Parade Passage, a block south of the Abbey. Also in an historic house (1482) Many tourists go there, but the quality is high and it is not a tourist trap. You can have lunch, dessert, afternoon tea, or candlelight dinner. Open 7 days. http://www.sallylunns.co.uk/

Woods, 9-13 Alfred St. Open Mon-Sat and Sunday lunch. Modern British/French cooking.

Shame!

by TripAdvisor Member bertie

We stayed at the Bath Priory several years ago and vowed to return so were looking forward to our weekend visit. The Bath Priory has many things going for it. The public rooms are lovely with a fab restaurant ,setting and gardens.

We booked into Magnolia which looked attractive on the website although didn't meet expectations when we arrived. The room looked in need of refurbishment but was comfortable and clean. The bathroom was dreadful. It had an avocado green plastic bath, loo and sink. The water pressure in for the shower was abysmall (I could spit harder!) and it just looked grotty and old fashioned. For £360 per night we felt slightly ripped off as we understand several of their rooms had already been recently refurbished and were also £360 per night - I think they must have seen us coming!

The service was pleasant although I had a glass of wine tipped in my lap on the last evening by a waiter. We noticed that we had been charged for this when checking our bill on the way home!! Also, (I am so sorry to seem moany!) but why do chefs cover everything in cuckoo spit nowadays - it doesn't taste of anything and doesn't look nice! I realise this is personal taste though so will try to get over this one!!

A Wonderful Stay

by TripAdvisor Member annauk44

I stayed at the Bath Priory for 3 nights from 24th July with my daughter (grown up). We had a wonderful time. The staff were very welcoming and showed us around the ground floor of the hotel, which seems more like a large private house than a hotel. Our room which was a superior double was called Peony. All the rooms have names of flowers. The room was well equipped and the bathroom was fantastic. We overlooked the rear gardens which are lovely. Amazingly it was a sunny day when we arrived so we were able to have tea sat out on the terrace. Fantastic scones!
The restaurant is expensive but we decided to treat ourselves to eat there on the first evening. We didn't regret it. It is a one star Michelin restaurant and it was the best meal I have ever eaten. The waiter was very efficient, explaining all the different ingredients. Although there were five courses in all we didn't feel too overindulged. We had breakfast in the restaurant one morning but had it in our room the other two. You are able to order a full cooked breakfast to be served in your room if you wish. There was a very large choice from full English to kippers if you fancied them. Lovely croissants too.
If I have any criticism of the hotel it is that their toast tends to be somewhat leathery. It would be better served as you need it.
It is possible to walk from the hotel into Bath but it takes a good 20-30 mins. Unfortuately the morning we did it it poured down and we got soaked. We got a taxi back which cost about £3.60 - good value.
We had one meal in the Marlborough Tavern, about 10 mins walk from the hotel and another in a restaurant just by the Theatre Royal where we saw a great production of 'Pygmalion'. I would certainly to back to the Bath Priory and if possible have one of the larger rooms with settee and table.

Perfect!!

by TripAdvisor Member Houndog5

When describing a perfect holiday location, it would have to include a few or all of the following: Great location, incredible food, amazing service, unbelievable rooms, gorgeous views, attentive staff, and a relaxing, serene atmosphere. The Bath Priory has all of this and more. Thanks to an amazing offer at LuxuryLink.com, we found a deal that allowed us, for a very reasonable price, to pamper ourselves to a 3 night vacation within our vacation. We escaped London, and headed for the historic town of Bath. What a wonderful, magical place. Upon arrival in a light rain, we were greeted at our car door by a very nice receptionist with umbrellas and then escorted into the lobby for check-in. We were asked for our car keys by the bellman so he could park our car and attend to our luggage, while we were introduced to this incredible hotel and the contents of our holiday package. We were delighted to find we would be staying in the Ammique Suite. This was particularly special since we would be sleeping on the $30,000 Ammique bed. For the record, though I will probably never be able to shell out 30k for a bed, it was an incredible thing to sleep on. I could not figure out if it was the bed or just the amazingly tranquil atmosphere that is provided by the Priory that allowed me to sleep like a baby every night, but it was very comfortable.
Our room looked out upon the gorgeous grounds surrounding the hotel and we enjoyed having our complimentary morning breakfast and afternoon tea on the balcony. Toward the back of the property is this incredibly lush vegetable garden that is taken full advantage of by the kitchen staff. We would see them scurry out with basket in hand to collect various herbs and vegetables for the evenings dinner menu. This would only add to our anticipation of our evening meals. We would not be disappointed. The food was amazing. A well deserved Michelin Star hangs in the kitchen.
In summary, this is one of the best vacations I have ever experienced. I wanted to stay forever. I know I will go back again.

Did not stay - ate in the restaurant

by TripAdvisor Member jeweltraveller

We chose a hotel with a higher tripadvisor rating when in Bath this week, but decided to eat at the Bath Priory restaurant because of its Michelin star. We found the following things:(bear in mind we both run London Hotels/ restaurants so are very picky!)
Great welcome, personal and warm.
The drawing room where we had our pre dinner drinks was very brightly lit which made it look shabby and therefore not so comfortable.
The restaurant itself is cosy, but the table decorations cheap and nasty (a gold sprayed pinecone?) The service was typically French, stuffy and self important, but nonetheless pleasant, particularly from our commis waiter who was lovely.
The food itself was good, not at all exceptional. I laughed out loud when i read the menu and its several different ways of descibing the "cockatoo spit" ( quote from previous review) that was on nearly every dish. ( nori foam, froth, aerated watercress!)
Even the soup had been whipped within an inch of its life.
We love a bit of innovation, but have been seeing this all over the country for over a year now and it has its place, but not as the prevalent trick on every plate!
Having said this we enjoyed the Pork belly and the duck, and our commis chose me a lovely cheese plate of soft cheeses ( the cheese cart was not operational that night)
The whole experience would have been fine, but the final impression was not good, our coats were left on a bench to collect on our way out, and the person who welcommed us on the way in so warmly did not even look up from the desk as we put our coats on and left with not so much as a thankyou.
So on the whole, ok, but needs work on the details, and the chef needs to calm down on the froth factor. He can obviously cook.

Romantic retreat!

by TripAdvisor Member SteffiSouthLondon

Having hectic jobs in the city, we were really looking forward to a weekend break away and time to de-stress. This was our first visit to the Bath Priory - and we were not disappointed. When booking the hotel, I mentioned we were looking for a romantic room and Carnation was recommended. With a four poster bed and stunning views over the gardens, it was just what we were looking for. The bathroom, we were told, was completely new, and it was very contemporary and spacious. We ventured into Bath late morning and the staff were extremely helpful - giving us plenty of information on specific shops we were looking for and the best places to eat lunch. Returning from Bath, we were quite tired from our shopping spree, and I had treated myself to a Decleor facial in the Spa at the hotel. I have had many treatments in London and I have to say this topped them all! After a stroll around the gardens, we then sat down to dine. The food was certainly the icing on the cake as far as we were concerned. I am not a real "foodie" but each course just melted in the mouth and the combinations of texture and color were amazing! My husband raved about his tuna - which was served with "cobnuts and coriander and bell pepper juices." The overall feel of the hotel is one of warmth and you are genuinely made to feel at home by all the staff - nothing seemed too much trouble. We can't wait until our next visit!

Lovely but some service issues and the food is overated and overfussy

by TripAdvisor Member slj60

I totally agree with the author of the last review regarding the restaurant of this hotel. I will elaborate on this further into this review. I would have liked to have given this lovely hotel a 4 point rating but for the price there were some service issues which should not of occured and therefore because of this I have only given it a 3 dot rating.
I stayed at The Bath Priory for a post Christmas and New Year Break. I was with my husband and 16 year old son. I called the hotel to make the reservations found them very helpful. The package for New Years Eve was expensive; one night dbb was £710 for my husband and I and £410 for my son. The other nights were £270 per room per night for my husband and I and £180 for my son on a bed and breakfast basis.

Arrival.
We arrived around 5.30pm on a very wet and windy Friday night. Someone came out to the car to help with the luggage and we checked in. My husband rushed off to the loo after a long journey and commented later that there were no hand towels in the gentleman's toilet, not a good start. The staff were very welcoming and showed us to our room, we were however not given a brief tour of the hotel so we would know our barings. I ordered a bottle of champagne to be sent to the room and was asked if I would like Gosset which is the house champagne. However what we received was not Gosset but a name I did not know. I didn't complain but thought if they tell you something it should be correct.
Rooms
The rooms allocated to us were lovely. We had Bluebell, (see photo's) it does overlook the front of the hotel so it is a little noisy if you are a light sleeper.
The other thing I found odd about the room was the trouser press in the wardrobe. You could not take it out because it had been wired into the wardrobe despite ample enough space outside the wardrobe for it to stand. The room though apart from this is charming.
My son had Azalea, which is gorgeous if you are below 5.11. I would recommend this room to a short couple wanting a romantic break. The room is a mini suite with a small sitting room with stairs up to the bedroom which is small with sloping ceilings and a large bathroom with walk in shower and separarte bath. My son loved this room but if he grows any taller it may be a problem if we return.
Both rooms had small Christmas trees with red berry lights and each day bottles of mineral water and fruit presses. They were clean and beautifully furnished and serviced throughout our stay.
DINNER
My husband and I had dinner in the restaurant on the Saturday night while my son was at a party with friends. We sat in the library and waited for some time before anyone came to ask us if we would like a drink and show us a menu. I think the owners were dining too and the staff danced attention on them . We did eventually get served and ordered.
I had been in the health club that afternoon and was speaking to a woman who said she stayed at the hotel several times a year. I asked her what the restaurant was like. She told me they no longer ate there anymore and she and her husband joked that they thought that Chef must have a sorbet making machine which he feels compelled to incorporate into every course. Another guest who was listening to the converation agreed and this was exactly the case with the food over dinner. I ordered Venison to start and to this day I swear it did not resemble or taste like venison but there was a puree of some description with it. The food is good but it is over fussy which detracts from the flavour and quality of produce. Everycourse had some froth or unnecessary goo with it. The service in the restaurant was good but as the previous review stated rather aloof with the exception of the commis waiter. The wine list is excellent as was the selection of cheeses.
BREAKFAST
Issues here. On our first morning we didn't know where to go and when we found the breakfast room no staff were in the restaurant. We waited for a few minutes and someone appeared and showed us to a table. There is a buffett table of fruit juices (only two to choose from though), fruit salad and some cheese. You then order cooked from the menu and the food is excellent. The problem again with breakfast is the staff walk through the restaurant and don't look at the table to see if anything needs topping up. This happened everyday, they either ran out of fruit juice, fruit salad or cereal bowls. When you are paying these prices it is simply not acceptable.
On New Years Day we went down to breakfast being totally unaware that the serviing hours had been extended to serve brunch. We arrived around 9.30am to be told that Brunch was being served until 12 noon. Had we known this we would have not rushed to get up. However you cannot blame restaurant staff for this but management. As we were staying over New Year I would have thought it appropriate (other hotels where we have stayed have done this) to give each guest an itinerary of events.

NEW YEARS EVE
Afternoon tea was served on New Years Eve but we did not know about this until we were about to go out for an afternoon walk that day. Again giving each guest an itinerary of events would have been so simple. We arrived back from our walk at 4.10 (tea started at 4) and were shown into the library. A table of sandwiches and pastries were in the adjoining drawing room, however most of the sanwiches had already disappeared as had the side plates. None of the staff appeared to do anything about this until I pointed out that there were no sandwiches and plates. Eventually some more sandwiches arrived but they kept running out so clearly not enough were made to serve everyone. This should have been a lovely start to the festivities but it was quite frankly chaotic.
Drinks and canopies were served from 7.30 and this was a much more civilized affair and better organised. As I came downstairs in a red dress one of the girls on duty noticed this and said , "Oh I have to go and change something where you are sitting". She had placed a shocking pink feather boa on my chair (men had novelty hats) and realised it would clash with my dress and promptly changed it for a black one. Clearly a member of staff who thinks on her feet and also thinks about the attention to detail, they should employ more like her.
We went into the drawing room for drinks and met two couples who were returning from last year, one of which was vegetarian. This suprised me because the menu was set and not geared towards vegatarians at all. They told me that the alternative food was actually not very good at all but they liked the atmosphere of the night. The food was superb, better I thought than the Saturday night A la Carte. Another vegetarian couple from Germany were on our table and I have to say their food was pathetic. I know all chefs, especially ones holding two Michelin stars tend to adopt the attitude you eat what I cook or nothing, but their starter consisted of a tiny mixed leaf salad and then some vegetables for their main course.
Come on Chef, create some good vegetarian dishes, it's not that hard especially at the prices the hotel charges.
Service was good throughout the night but they did bring us the wrong wine which had to be sent back and coffee was a bit scarce after dinner and I had to wait a very long time for some mint tea. Overall it was a very enjoyable night and the food was superb but that's what we paid for. New Years Eve can so often be a horrible let down but The Bath Priory did (with the exception of afternoon tea) get it right and it was a lovely night.
Room Service.
We ordered room service twice, as the hotel does not do snacks if you want a late lunch only afternoon tea in the drawing room. On both occassions the food was very good as was the service but my husband ordered a steak sandwich and did specifically request it without horseraddish. It arrived with horseraddish so it had to be sent back.
SPA
The spa is getting somewhat tired. The pool is small but adequate but the steam room definately needs an overhall. I had some treatments while I was there and these were good but again the treatment rooms are rather old fashioned.
HOTEL In GENERAL
The hotel is charming, I think if you visit it when you can appreciate the gardens then it must be lovely. The location is very good, about ten minutes walk outside of Bath through the park and the Royal Crescent. We were very lucky with the weather, it was pretty good so we had some super walks. The hotel can order taxi's to take you into Bath or if you want to dine out they are reliable and around £5 maximum. The public rooms are sumptuous with big sofas and books and magazines to read. The hotel is a classic good quality country house hotel with a lovely atmosphere and tranquil surroundings, a little oasis in busy Bath. However at the prices they are charging they do need to address some service issues. However despite these I would return to the hotel but with slightly lower expectations of my first visit.

Very Nice!

The property is lovely as was the room. The daffodil room is on the second floor overlooking the private gardens. The view is stunning and on a lucky day you can see hot air balloons flying over bath. The breakfast was also very good. Lovely, comfortable furnishing and great bathroom. The only negative is the staff was a bit overly impressed with themselves.

Very good but expensive

by TripAdvisor Member tynwald

This is a charming hotel some 15 minutes from the centre of Bath (Abbey, Roman Baths etc). The centre is walkable but taxis are readily available.
The staff is welcoming and attentive, and the rooms extremely comfortable. The spacious gardens are well kept and colourful.
The overall ambiance is comfortably relaxed . Unfortunately we didn`t get to dine there as the kitchens were dedicated to an expensive Operatic Event on the evening we wished to sample their Michelin (?) restaurant .
A very pleasant place to stay but perhaps because our stay was more B & B than full renowned Dinner B & B we left with the feeling that our stay had not been value for money.
We did note that the Operatic Event menu was extremely and discouraging limited .

Surrounding sites

by Jacksprat

"Bath - Weir"

If it's within your control - try visiting Bath on a sunny day, as there is lots to see which is out doors. This is a picture of the weir of the Avon River in Bath.

"Bath - Priory Gardens"

A view down into the valley... Priory Gardens is a must. We didn't have much time there...just enough to take this photo! It's tranquil and you feel like you're in a fairy tale garden.

"Roman Baths"

Well worth a visit. Very interesting with an automated guided tour provided in several different languages.

"Bath Abbey"

Of amazing size and architecture.

"Wells Cathedral"

Wells is a beautiful little villiage with a "villiage atmosphere". The cathedral stands out as one of the attractions, but there are a few others. In the same day we got on the bus from there to Glastonbury, and had a look around there.

"Glastonburg .. Flower pot"

Glastonbury is probably most well known for the annual "Glastonbury Festival".
There are a couple of old buildings (like most of the UK) and some cathedrals...

"Chalice Well"

...there's also the Chalice Well. This is a garden which is known for it's source of peace and tranquility - as well as a spring which is constantly supplying water.

Comments