Church Street, Cheddar, Somerset BS27

Satisfaction Average

More about Cheddar

Gough's CaveGough's Cave

Gough's CaveGough's Cave

Gough's Cave with Cheddar Man in the backgroundGough's Cave with Cheddar Man in the background

waterfallwaterfall

Getting to and staying in or on public transport route to Cheddar

by kirkmeister

Hello
I am off to Bristol to see the Banksy exhibition soon and wanted to make a weekend of it all with some natural wonders thrown in.
I have heard that you can get from Bristol to Cheddar on bus 672 or 674 from Bristol - Does anyone know the website where I can confirm times for this.
I also need somewhere reasonably priced to stay for one night in Cheddar or another pretty village so that we can stay over and then hop on the bus tour through the gorge or similar. Any recommendations. We are not looking to spend more than £75 for both of us for the one night, a lovely place to stay for less would be fabulous but camping is out of the question as I am heavily pregnant!
On a quick search it seemed that Cheddar accommodation was dear and may all be full. Where else could we stay?
What is Bream like? would public transport to the gorge be possible from there? and is there anywhere nice to stay there?
Also wondered whether Burnham on sea or Axbridge were picturesque with the necessary accommodation and public transport links to the gorge
many many thanks for your help
Kirsty

by clareabee

Long long time since I have been to this area but from what I remember is gorgeous! - have you looked at the tourist information site for that area? - They normally have links to B&B accomodation etc and will at least give you an idea of other places you may like to stay at.

www.laterooms.com is another fab website which details discounted hotels and B&Bs - worth a go!

by clareabee

by evaanna

I suggest you check out Wells, a lovely little town near Cheddar Gorge with a magnificent cathedral, a palace with a moat and lots of things to see. I haven't stayed there but check the VT members' pages - you'll find some suggestions of hotels there.

by kirkmeister

Hi both of you
thanks for your answers I will look into wells and use the laterooms site as found internet tourist office site a touch laborious .
cheers
k

Travel Tips for Cheddar

Hi Ho, Hi Ho

by hayward68

I was taken to Cheddar by two wonderful VT members with whom I was visiting in Bristol for the weekend, Greebo and Aragina.
Greebo agreed to accompany me into the caves and while we were in them a group of miners, returning from the depths of the them, walked past us in a line singing "Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work we go", the song the Seven Dwarfs sing as the head off to the mines in Snow White. It was absolutely hilarious!!

Cheddar Cheese

by hayward68

Have you ever wondered how Cheddar Cheese got its name? Well, local legend in the area says that a village milkmaid left a pail of milk in the Cheddar Caves, and upon returning to fetch it, discovered that the milk had turned into this substance which became known as Cheddar Cheese.
The cheese of Cheddar is so famous that Daniel Defoe, author of Robinson Crusoe, after visiting the Mendips in 1724, wrote a book titled "A Tour of the Islands of Great Britain" in which an entire section was written about Cheddar and its cheese.

Cheddar Gorge

by awladhassan

"The Gorge"

The gorge is a spectacular natural feature cut into the karst limestone of the Mendip Hills. I frequently take visitors to see this area,and always find it so peaceful and tje surroundings stunning.
Of course there are many tourist attractions, but it is not compulsory to see everything. I tend to avoid Cox Cave with its psychodelic hype and 'scarey' features unless children are with us. The gift shops are given a miss. weir and water fall.

I recommend having a tea with locally baked scones and clotted cream. The sweet factory is also one of my stops and I buy traditional sweets as gifts. And buy local honey for myself.
After seeing the caves, I like to walk down past the mill with its pond and weir and water fall.

"Gough's Caves"

No matter how often I visit, I always find something new. The latest time I find there is a tracing of a mammoth on a wall, and an exhibit of cave explorers.
The lighting is very good, picking out certain formations, The audi -guide is not easy to use without instruction, and the narrative is a bit cheesy.

Cheddar Gorge, it's gooorgeous!!!!!!

by CheekyDee

"Goooooorgeous!!!!"

Cheddar Gorge is absolutely stunning!! The cliffs are age old as this is the oldest gorge in the UK. The hike up to the top of the gorge is absolutely amazing, a bit steep but we did it backwards. We didn't start at Jacob's ladder like most people do, but started at the other end of it. All the hard work definitely pays off when you reach the rim of the gorge! Don't forget to bring a picnic and a camera, you won't regret it at all!!!

This is the amazing view we had when we stopped for lunch at the top of the gorge! That's pretty worth it to me...

My hiking group for our kodak moment!

Cheddar, Somerset, England

by Chan_Travel

"A very good Cheddar website to refer to."

I am in the midst of updating my Cheddar Webpage. It has been years since I last went there, so meanwhile please refer to a well recommended Cheddar Website

Comments