Travelodge Glastonbury

in Glastonbury
Terrible (1.0 out of 5.0) 1 review
alancollins's Profile Photo

Let down by noise

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 6, 2012

On paper the Travelodge at Glastonbury should have a lot going for it. It is only 3 years old, easy to find, has a car park, it is only 1 miles from the centre of town and there are some fast food outlets available close by. I have stayed at a number of Travelodge's and know what to expect. It should be basic clean accommodation with not a lot of extras. I did my research and realised that at the front there was a 24/7 garage, a main road and fast food outlets all giving rise to noise. So I asked for a room at the back which probably turned out to have more problems than a room at the front. We stayed in room 215 and on first appearance everything seems okay which lulled us into a force sense of security . We needed extra pillows and these were provided and all of the staff we spoke too during our stay were polite and helpful. The room was clean, tidy with tea & coffee to drink, there were 2 large towels provided, soap and sufficient space for our cases and clothes. We went out and when we came back later I shut the windows. After a day of travelling and wandering around there is nothing like a good soak in the bath to help the aches and pains. The bath filled up quickly and I looked forward to a soak, that is when I noticed that the bath was not very long and it was impossible to straighten out my legs or lay down. There were no problems with the shower which worked perfectly. After my shorter than intended bath I thought I would watch some TV, that is when I noticed, there was no remote control. So it was up and down to adjust the volume or change channels. After my exercise period with the TV we decided to go to sleep or should I say attempted to go to sleep. The back of the property has a different set of problems to the front. There are extractors at the back of the hotel which cuts in and out every few minutes 24/7. It is so loud is possible to hear it when in the bathroom with the door closed and the windows shut. The good thing about the machinery is it helps cuts down the noise from the road and car drivers who practice spinning their wheels in the KFC car park. During gaps in the noise I eventually got off to sleep only to wake up with back ache caused by the springs in the mattress sticking into me. As daylight approached I became aware of the cries of seagulls arriving for their breakfast of KFC leftovers, that had been helpfully thrown out of car windows and spread around the car park. You can not expect someone to walk the 5 metres to the bin now can you. I later watched 2 employees from KFC walking around the car park picking up the discarded leftovers the gulls did not want. Closer examination of the room windows showed, though they were doubled glazed, there were gaps between the gasket and windows which let the noise in. If you buy the cheapest double glazed windows going then this is what you get. I spoke to a member of staff about the noise and was told that the management were fully aware but refused to do anything about it. The Travelodge website does mention the noise but the company has failed to take any action such as getting the double glazing fixed and new mattresses installed. The room was cleaned whilst we were out, towels replaced and the hot drinks replenished. Though I left a tip it was not taken, I can only imagine staff are too embarrassed to take it. If you are below average height, profoundly deaf, not worried about the springs in the mattress giving you back ache and want to keep on getting up to change channels on the TV then this could be the hotel for you. If you do not fit into these categories, you should give this hotel a wide berth until they fix the problems.

Unique Quality: I did get this hotel room on offer for £12 a night and thought that was too much.

Nearby Travelodge Glastonbury

• Wheelchair Accessible
  • Free Parking
  • Pets Allowed

Glastonbury Travel Forum

Need advice about Glastonbury, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Glastonbury and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Glastonbury hotel reviews

Glastonbury Tor
Have a cake.......
Visit St John the Baptist church
Things to Do
Have a drink in the George & Pilgrim.
Visit the Tribunal
Go up to the Tor.
Things to Do
Delicious - but low on monkeys!
Restaurants
All you need to know about the Tor.
Things to Do
Prehistoric pleasures at modern prices
Star of the show
Gods on the High Street
Shopping
Getting the Abbey habit (British jest)
The Box of Delights
Water water everywhere!
Shopping
Book buying - obtaining the peculiar in print
CD Quest - spiritual wailing to ethereal whalesong
Shopping
Crystal clear - the mineral must-have!
Things to Do
The Lions Head - drinking and crystal dipping!
A Glastonbury Thorn-y problem
Glastonbury Tower - a towering achievement
Glastonbury Tor - the height of spirituality
Things to Do
Glastonbury as a base: trips out & about
A walk around Glastonbury