Minehead, Minehead, United Kingdom

Satisfaction Average

• LouiseTopp's Profile Photo

Butlins Holiday camp

This was my first stay at Butlins and you can see the white tenty thing (known as the Skyline Pavilion) a mile off. Somerset is very similar to Devon and has some of the prettiest countryside in the UK. On entering the large carpark there's plenty of parking and the keys are like little disks which slot into the door which give out a green light to show the door has unlocked. The chalets are nice, we stayed in half board chalets and you can two bedrooms and a bathroom for your money. There are also heaters which can get a bit powerful if left one, they come in handy for drying out towels etc which are not supplied.

Unique Quality: Over from our chalet is the Yacht Club, an eclusive pub like resturant. I havn't seen many people in it but they play muic out of a loudspeaker from 8.15 in the morning until late at night. There's lots to do and the rooms are not far away from the shops or the dining room, there's also a little train which goes round the camp. The only snag is that it can get a bit noisy at night, with late night revellers coming back at 2am from Jacks nightclub. I got some earplugs so it wasn't too bad, but it was nice to wake up to the sound of seagulls, even they call all night long.

Directions: Five minutes from the seafront

• DUNK67's Profile Photo

Hi De Hi

Butllins is so much more than just a place to stay, it is the whole holiday experience. I first went to Minehead Butlins with my parents because I won a free holiday at Butlins in Barry Island (See seperate tip). Of course things have changed since I first went to Minehead Butlins. Buildings have been updated, in fact the whole centre has been revamped.

In 2009 I went to Butlins twice, although we did go into Minehead a couple of times most of my Minehead page will be about Butlins.

Page under construction

Unique Quality: i

Directions: The main entrance is on the seafront.

More about Butlins Resort

BUTLINS - RISE AND SHINE CAMPERS??

by jhorsfield30

Butlins Holiday Camp, known all over Britain for its family holidays and entertainments.

A good fairground and cinema available on site and was very impressed by the inclusive food hall which really does cater for every need and the nightime entertainment for all the family and really gets into the swing later on.

Even though there is everything in the camp, I felt compelled to leave and get to know the real minehead..

Butlins is great to satisfy most appetites and even though certain extras can be expensive it is worth doing once..

Other places to visit include:

- Exmoor National Park, Falconry and Animal Farm

- Cricket St Thomas Wildlife Park

- Dunster Castle and village

Bacterial Infections Caused By Butlins Lack of Hygiene

by TripAdvisor Member BCHL

Went to Butlin to celebrate my Niece's 7th Birthday. Whilst Butlins is not my idea of a great holiday, to a 7 year old, its the dogs!

We were taken to our accomodation which had a foul smell. Complained to porters, which subsequently they did not understand as they did not speak english! Any of them!!

My child spilt a fruit shoot in my bed, so I stripped the sheets to be greeted with various excrement stains. Turned over the mattress, and by god, there they were again, and so was every other bed in the apartment. There was also stains on the top sheets that turned out to be blood and further excrement.

24hrs into the stay, child no.1 came down with chronic Sickness & Diarrohea and was sent home. 48 hrs into the stay, child no.2 came down with chronic nose bleeds, bleeding gums, sickness, stiff neck and joints. Child was taken to hospital. I came down with what appeared to be the Flu at first. I was sent to the hospital. I had contracted a chest infection, throat infection & sinus infection and prescribed amoxicillin.

It came apparent that the further we stayed within our apartment to worse we became. My sister had discovered that the PAT testing stickers on the heating were 4 years overdue, aswell as the boiler, fuse board & kettle. The room suffered really bad of damp and mould & a fungi mushroom was growing in the bathroom!

Complaint was made to Manager, to which I showed him the pictures to back my claim from my mobile phone, whom ridiculously offered an extended stay of 24hrs in the same apartment. I nearly lumped him! When he saw the disgust on my face he said, 'it is worth £72.44!!'

Had I stayed a further 24hrs, I probaly would be dead!

The entire place was disgusting, smelly, and generally in very poor condition. I see that £103 million was invested into Minehead a few years ago? I am intrgued to know where it was invested? Likely the directors and shareholders dividends no doubt!

If you ever plan to go to Butlins Minehead, DONT! I have never experienced such an exhausting & painfull experience.

I would go to hell before I revisited this place.

If you have already eaten, then take the time to look at the photo's, otherwise, turn away now.....

we loved the shows

we have lived in minehead just under two years. and i needed to take my over 86 year old mother for a short break. it was her doing. our friends laugh. minehead butlins. well the laugh was on them we had a great time. we had booked in for breakfast and dinner we could eat as much as we liked. somedays it was hard not knowing what to eat first. we only went from the monday to friday. but hopping to have two weeks later on in sep2006. some nights mum got to tied to walk back to the chalet. so the butlins coach took us back from the nights entertainment. at no charge. wonderfull staff.

Not a good deal!!

We have just returned home from a weekend trip to Bultins in Minehead with our 5 year old daughter, 9 year old and 10 year old sons. we decided to pay a bit extra and stay in deluxe accommodation with half board. We are disgusted with what we were presented with upon arrival.

We were supposed to be able to book into our accommodation at 2.30pm, to our suprise when we went around the maid was still cleaning the room and did not leave till 3pm so we had to wait in our car till she had finished.

The carpet in my daughter's room was soaking wet from the rain leaking in through the window. It was a good job that only she was in that room as there would have been no way I would have put a child in the bed by the window. The heater in our bedroom was hanging off the wall so we could not use it. The whole apartment smelled of damp and ants were running around the units.

The only good thing about the accommodation was that we had our own private parking space, so did not have to walk far carrying cases and bags. The food was ok but no good if like myself you have to have a special diet and by the time you sorted out the childrens food for them your food has gone cold. We found a way round this by sorting out the children first then myself and then my husband.

Most of the entertainment was good and the redcoats and other staff were always helpful and polite. The childrens entertainment was the same every morning so after day one they got bored with the shows because it was the same show. None of the children were able to go on any of the fair rides as they were too small in height, but they were able to go on the rides in Bob the Builders yard.

After paying a lot of money in the first place to stay for the weekend, we were annoyed to find that most things on the resort you still have to pay for, i.e. the mini-golf, go-karts and childrens driving school.

Overall, we were extremely disappointed with our stay and will not be returning to Bultins in the future.

Good Little Break

by TripAdvisor Member Zoe0409

I stayed here last June with my boyfriend, we stayed in a private caravan on the site.

Butlins site offers something for all ages and although this trip didnt really feel like a propper holiday it was quite nice to just chill and enjoy the June sun shine.

The only thing to remember is to keep you property safe when your out and about I lost a pair of DKNY glasses and they were never handed in.

Make sure you take change with you for the lockers at the pool.

great for kids

i have just come back from a weeks stay in butlins and i think i need to have another holiday! i went with my husband and two children, we went silver half board and didnt think much of the food although there was plenty of choice it was basic cafe style. the room was nice and tidy apart from the plastic mattresses. the entertainment is excellent if you want to be at the front of the stage be prepared to que early its worth it. take plenty spending money as there is quite a lot of activities you have to pay extra for, the red coats and staff were very friendly and great with the kids. overall we had a nice holiday but wouldnt go back.

Too sticky, and not from the weather either.

by TripAdvisor Member jones59

We arrived at Minehead with husband having grave reservations, and me with an open mind, the staff were very friendly and we had no problems with our check in, we were pleased to be given a free upgrade to a silver appartment. which was basic but clean and tidy, although the shower was small and dark and pokey, and the hot water did not work in the bathroom.
After the first day I asked my husband to describe butins in one word, hubbys word was unrepeatable, our sons word was "average", but i have to say mine was "sticky" . everything in the public areas were sticky, the floors, carpets, the tables, the walls, the toilets, the seats, literally everything you touched was dirty, dirty, dirty! and needed copious amounts of bleach and Mr Muscle.
As for the restaurant, canteen would be a more apt name. we were bb& evening meal, after the first evening meal & breakfast we did not venture there again, and the smell when walking past the staff canteen was disgusting.
The entertainment was not too bad, although the difference in sound & lighing between the home entertainment crew and visitors was amazingly different. As someone in the entertainment business it was glaringly obvious that the visiting entertainers/tribute artistes were not given the same sound and lighting effects that the red coats enjoyed. abba forever were brilliant tho'
All in all, okay for kids, chavs and chip lovers, but very expensive and dirty.

Supersize all the way!

by TripAdvisor Member Domino69

Having taken some arm twisting ( well nearly breaking )to get my husband to take a holiday in the UK and convincing him that as long as the kids were happy we'd be happy, we decided to give Butlins at Minehead a try.

We were orginally Silver accomodation ( booking too late to secure any Gold accomodation)with Breakfast & Evening Meal but the standard of accomodation was very disappointing. Both the brochure for Minehead and the website displays the Silver apartments at Skegness and believe me they are not "representative" of the silver accomodation in Minehead which is hugely inferior. We were lucky to be able to upgrade to a deluxe lodge, but in my opinion having stayed at Skegness, this only just about equalled the silver accomodation there.

The resturant was a real eye opener!!!! It was like being stuck in the middle of a war zone with most men wearing football shirts ( not the most flattering of attire) and if ever Rosemary Conley needed to have a diet club it was here!!! There are VERY large people here, which is not suprising considering the amount of carbohydrate and saturated fat on offer. If you dont eat white bread in HUGE quantities then dont consider the catered option.

Gold diners can eat in a separate resturant which you can upgrade to at an additional cost which we were happy to pay but as the staff primarily are Eastern European and do not speak terribly good English we gave up trying.

On the plus side the pool was great fun and the changing rooms clean. The entertainment was very good and suitable for both children and adults. The drinks were reasonably priced but the venues both had a prevading smell of stale beer.

We went on the Pony Treking excursion which was a bit pricey but an excellent experience which the children really enjoyed.

Overall a good week, we had excellent weather which helped a lot, but for anyone thinking about a Butlins experience who reads the Daily Telegrapgh, carrys a Radley handbag, possesses anything from Bodens,is a football neutral and prefers new potatoes to chips, dont say I didnt warn you!

Comments