Brooklands Hotel

More about Barnsley

Darfield ChurchDarfield Church

Worsborough MillWorsborough Mill

Worsborough Mill, Near BarnsleyWorsborough Mill, Near Barnsley

Fliming locations "Brassed Off"

by leecouk12324

Does anybody know exactly where in Barnsley where parts of the filming done for the flim "Brassed Off" and for which part(s) in the film.
Lee H

by cachaseiro

i would like to know that too as this is one of my favorite movies ever.

by leics

Might help:

by doodybee

I live in Barnsley
but haven't seen the film so I can't help

I suspect some of it would have been in and around Grimethorpe as it was about the colliery band - I maybe wrong though

by sirgaw

Also a favourite film - thanks for asking.

by leics

Grimethorpe colliery is certainly one of the locations listed.

by leecouk12324

Hi everybody .

Klaus - this film is in the top ten of the best flim locations used in the uk for films
If you like this film you may also like the film "Kes" from 1969 - also filmed in Barnsley.
Then there was a film in Scotland i think called "Our Hero" that had some acclaim for use of UK location.
The unique thing about "Brassed Off" was the people making it did not realise it would be such a big hit - it was like a film made to show about the lives of the miners - but then this is probably what made it such a great realistic film - was that many of local people were involved and their hearts where in the film - so it was not just about the money - whether it was about the money at all.

IMDB shows the locations like names of towns etc but then never say the places in the town that were used - and in fact i find it is something that is never advertsied widely in local tourist centres in UK (maybe with the exception of the Isle of Man).
Maybe a call to the tourist centres like Barnsley however may be able to help me
I would like to know where they were when they were marching down the street - because this may not have been Barnsley - this may have been one of the other towns.

Merry Christmas Everyone

by cachaseiro

i'm a big fan of the british movie scene.
especially the movies that describes the british working class with both humor and love.
"raining stones" "naked" "my name is joe" and "dancin thru the dark" are some just some of the many other movies i love from that part of the world.
i do think i would put "brassed off" on top of my favorite list from britain.
it´s just so funny, heart warming and yet a quite realisitic picture of a closed down mining town in 1980's britain.

by Britannia2

I seem to remember it was South Emsell (on the Doncaster to Leeds railway line).

Travel Tips for Barnsley

Barnsley

by suvanki

"Discovering Barnsley"

Well Done Barnsley FC! - Knocking Liverpool and Chelsea out of the FA Cup, So sorry they didn't make it to the final.
So Barnsley is now on the world map - I'd better get my page brushed up!!

Although I've lived in Sheffield for many years, and have visited the neighbouring areas of Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Rotherham, Chesterfield etc, I'm a little ashamed to admit that I'd only visited Barnsley once 'Years ago'

My job, for the past 5 years has involved visiting GP surgeries throughout Sheffield (giving me a great opportunity to learn more about the different areas of this city). Recently, we've expanded 'over the border' to Barnsley.

So, this is unexplored territory for me. My page will hopefully expand weekly, as I learn more about this former mining area, and its hidden attractions.

My first impressions have been of a surprisingly rural area, with stone terraced houses and shops.

So far I've been placed at Hoyland and Ardsley, both places having a friendly, community feel, This week, I've been sent to Darfield, which has a village atmosphere- a Norman Church, and museum.
I've since been sent to Barnsley centre, and now Dodsworth Road.

I've been lucky enough to grab a few long lunch breaks, so I've headed off to Worsborough Mill and dam, when the weather has been good, for a stroll, and then to enjoy my lunch in peaceful surroundings!

To be continued