Church Lane Barnsley S S75SDQ
Tankersley Manor Hotel - QHotels
Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Tankersley Manor (Church Lane Barnsley S S75SDQ)

Excellent Wedding Reception Venue

by TripAdvisor Member DAVE1441

We held our weding reception at Tankersley Manor on the 6th of July 2007. They provided a silver service meal for 92 guests and an evening reception buffet for 130 guests.

The room looked fantastic, the food was excellent and all the staff were all working hard to make the day special.

I would highly reccomend Tankersley to anyone who is considering holding their wedding reception there.

Wedding Party Crammed the Bar

by TripAdvisor Member GT75

We paid about £95 for a standard twin room for one saturday night, B&B. Breakfast was excellent. The room was fine, although up and down stairs from the entrance.

The pool and fitness centre looked lovely, although we didn't use it.

The staff were helpful enough: We had a flat battery and the receptionist asked around the staff for jump leads.

One of the downfalls of booking on the interenet is that even the hotel chain's own website doesn't warn you that there are TWO wedding receptions going on. You'd hope they would have done if it had been a phone booking. One party piled into the bar, right when we were going for an evening meal. The restaurant menu and prices did not appeal, so we stuck it out in the bar.

The food was prompt but decidedly average and rather expensive for what it was. Cold plates for hot food are never great, unless salad is involved, which it wasn't!

I'm sure the hotel offers more character than many just-off-the-motorway places, but it's evidently geared up more for weddings and conferences than for a romantic break. I don't think the extra £30 or so more than some cheaper places was quite worth it for the experience we had.

Great wedding place

by TripAdvisor Member maziejane

My now husband and I used this great hotel when we got married. All the staff were fantastic and made our day go without one problem, they are very professional and make you feel comfortable. We used the Tankersly suite and crook barn for our wedding, the Tankersley suite can be split into smaller sections so you dont have to feel like your in a great hall with empty spaces. They organised everything we wanted them to for no extra expense as we live out of the area the let us have parcels sent prior to our wedding and they stored goods.
Our rooms were lovely and the spa and leisure facilities are very good and help soothe even the most heaviest hangovers.
We were given special discounted room rates for all our guest and our stay which helped a great deal.
We stayed in the new part of the hotel so we didnt have tons of stairs to walk up, this is an old hotel that has had modern complex added you cant alter a 18th century barn to make life easier when you check in. I would recommend that you check all your reseverations before you get to the hotel and get everything in writing prior to any event/stay.
If you are wanting a quick stay over place then there is a travel inn five minutes away but this is next to a fuel station and a mcdonalds where chav's tend to hang out.

Good enough value

The old manor building has been extended. Sympathetically from the outside but the new rooms are totally lacking in character or flair. They've not been well built; I was woken early by the sound of rushing water in my radiator (I had to turn it off) and then further disturbed by the creaking sounds from the early riser above me.
The contents of the room are fine as long as you don't mind over the bath showers with a curtain - but be warned that if you book a twin and you're not a couple, the beds are touching and can't be moved apart.
The staff were all excellent, way above average. They even kept me cheerful when my booking couldn't be found (I was down for the following night, although fortunately I had with me the web-booking confirmation showing the correct night).
Breakfast was also way above average and might even lure me back to the hotel despite the faults mentioned above. Although I would never have a bar meal again, it was almost inedible!

Four Star? well some aspects were other were not!

by TripAdvisor Member KTUk

Well, its kind of a mixed bag really. I booked the hotel through Marston hotels website and got another incredible deal for two nights bed and breakfast with a meal on the first evening. Marston hotels are beautiful and we looked forward to our first stay in Tankersley.

We arrived (after a little struggle in the snow to find it) and the hotel was beautiful, roaring fires and wonderful quick check in. We were given our room key card and hopped off through the pub to our room. When we got in, it took a turn for the worst. The 'standard' room we had been allocated can only be described as a 1970 travellodge room. For a four star hotel I couldn't understand or believe it. The room smelt of the toilet, the toilet itself had broken pieces, the bathroom was very poor and the bedrom sparce of life. It looked nothing like the bedrooms on the website. As it was a treat for valentines day my husband went to complain.

The staff were supurb. They offered us an upgrade at no extra cost and we ended up with a gorgeous room which was no doubt four star. They informed us that they don't show their standard rooms online!

We settled into our wonderful room, pleased we'd said something and had been moved. We went to the pub/bar "The Onward Arms" for our evening meal and would agree with other reviewers that this was not nice at all. The food looked thrown together and again made me question the four star status of this establishment. We couldn't relax as lots of locals came in for a drink and party and the staff in the bar were not very helpful. We didn't want to somplain again so we went back to our room (we didn't mind too much as it was lovely).

The next morning we went for breakfast in the main restaurant which was amazing. Like two different hotels in comparison. The resaturant was set out wonderfully and had a lot of charm. The food was great and the staff were very pleasant. Wish we had ventured in there to have our main meal.

Overall, with the upgrade this hotel was great however if we had been stuck with the standard room I would have hated the whole holiday. My advice is go for the executive or above standard if you wnat a nice room. Avoid the pub apart for things like coffee (we asked for cakes from the menu one afternoon and were told they'd not got any but offered us a plate of dried out days old, pastries instead!) or a quick half. Use the main restaurant and make themost of the BEAUTIFUL peak district.

We are thankful to the wonderful reception and restaurant staff who made our stay much more pleasant.

4 star ... Not really

by TripAdvisor Member Tigger103

Like other reviewers I would question the 4 star status of this hotel. We booked a suite for a weekend break but the quality of the room was no better than a standard room in similar rated hotels.
The leisure pool area was disappointing as the steam room was not working during our stay and the pool itself is surrounded by a very small area leaving hardly any space for relaxing in loungers around the pool.
We had booked half board and were looking forward to our evening meal in the restaurant but unfortunately it just didn't meet the standards you would expect. The portions were very small and vegetables were at an extra supplement and not included in our half board tariff. In fact the items we could choose which were included in the half board tariff were very limited which added to the frustration.
On a more positive note the staff were very friendly and the hotel is siturated in a very convenient location - just a few minutes drive from the motorway.

Over rated Over priced

by TripAdvisor Member landoug

Booked 4 rooms for a wedding party and all in need of updating. One room loose toilet seat another no grout in parts of bathroom tiling. Caught suit trouser on edge of round coffee table which was chipped and sharp, snagging material. Finding rooms is like going through a maze. Check in took 35 minutes. Bar service very slow and the most expensive I have ever come accross. Food is good and plenty of choice for breakfast. Value for money probably the worst yet. Hilton & Marriott better value for the money paid.

Very Disapointed

by TripAdvisor Member justified

The room was OK as the old saying goes, but the Food and Beverage was a complete disaster from start to finnish, the meal we had in the restaurant was a joke in terms of presentation and taste. the waitresses were either untrained or just not interested, wine menu not offered no bread, choices for the dinner not available. all in all a 2 star experience at best.
would not stay again.

Some good points,some bad points

by TripAdvisor Member yorkshireterrier18

This is the second time we have stayed here and our experiences were similar. The hotel looks attractive, the rooms are adequate (the new rooms are better) the spa is lovely but the problem is the restaurant. It has a pretentious attitude but doesn't deliver on service. Staff need better training in customer care.

Comfortable stay - just a few details to correct

by TripAdvisor Member Durhampuma

Spent an enjoyable weekend here with friends. Tricky start, as hotel is difficult to spot, with no public and limited hotel signs highlighting entrance. Very attractive stone built proprty with sympathetic new additions which blended in very well. Plenty of signposte dwalks in the area of various lengths. Reception is small but with friendly service. Rooms of a good standard, and generally seemed quiet, with good noise insulation. We stayed in one of the older rooms, but noted that the new wing looked even better. Health club looked very attractive, although we did not find time to use it.
Booked a package, which was excellent value, with evening meals included. A warning to others - if you are staying 2 nights, book your table for both nights on arrival. We tried to book in the morning for the second night, and no tables until 9pm, so we switched to the bar/lounge for our second nights meal - another excellent menu.
Staff are very friendly, but perhaps need more training, particularly on the new till system. Asked for bill prior to checkout, which was a good idea, as we needed to spend some 15 mins removing meal costs etc as we were on the inclusive package.
Overall a very good stay and would certainly return.

Comments