Hilton Sheffield

Victoria Quays, Furnival Road, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, S4 7YA, United Kingdom

Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• iaint's Profile Photo

Good

My second stay here. The first was about 2004.

This time I stayed 1 night - a Sunday in February. I got a good deal - £84 for a double deluxe. I paid an extra £9 to get a top floor room (hopefully away from any noise). Breakfast wasn't included - £10 extra. I didn't take it as I was happy to get something at the railway station on my way to the train. Much cheaper.

The room was great - large, well furnished, clean and quiet. A good view out over the canal basin (rooms at the front will have no view, so ask for the back at the top). Rooms lower down may be noisy.

I used the gym - big and well equipped (and no extra charge).

The first time I stayed noise was a problem. They have a lot of function business, and not enough sound insulation, plus a lot of drunks (resident and non resident). I'd certainly give it a miss on Friday & Saturday nights.

Unique Quality: The canalside location.

Directions: 15 minute walk from the city centre. 8 minutes to the nearest tram stop. 12 minutes walk to the railway station.

More about Hilton Sheffield

Fantastic stay at the Hilton Sheffield

by TripAdvisor Member mjjkop

We spent 2 nights at the sheffield hilton after booking an offer we saw in the newspaper.

The room was super- clean, spacious, modern and with a sizeable balcony with table and chairs. The main meal at the hilton was pretty good, with a good choice of food but not brilliant. The breakfasts were very good and well organised with great service and a great selection of cooked food and fruit, and a small selection of pastries.

The health and fitness area was superb, a really big gym and swimming pool including steam room, sauna and spa. Highly recommended.

Check in and check out was quick and hassle free, and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Will definitely stay again!

Avoid the food and rooms near the lifts

by TripAdvisor Member WaldyPortsmouth

I stayed here for 3 nights. The rooms were OK, but the food was terrible. The breakfasts were fine, but the evening meals should be avoided. They were overpriced, and unappetising, and despite the high cost, don't expect to get vegetables included with the meal. If you get offered a room number like 521 or 421, refuse it, as the noise of the lifts will keep you awake all night. Considering that you have to pay extra for any food, you may as well go to a Travel Inn for half the price.

Why risk the brand?

by TripAdvisor Member SignHerePlease

Think of a 'Hilton' and you think of the very best in hotel accomodation. Here's a company that markets superb service, accomodation and food. Now perhaps I was looking very tired when I checked in because someone on the hotel reception desk obviously thought:
"Here's a guy who won't mind staying in one of our 'branded examples of superb Hilton accomodation that we are world-renowned for' - next door to the liftshaft, the stair-well and the ice machine strategically positioned on the wall behind which our tired guest will be resting his weary head". I thought I would give sleeping a go. Sadly the lift-machinery sang to me like a wailing Banshee for an hour, and the couple across the corridor had some type if ice fettish because they were still using the machine at 12:30 am. It sounded like trapped pot-holers digging there way through my bedroom wall with a garden trowl. No problem - I will watch the 'superior Hilton-quality TV in my room' - which didn't work.

I did get my room changed - by which time I was so tired they could have stood me upright in the cleaner's cupboard and I would have slept without noticing.

Coupled with the general atmosphere in the hotel of understaffing and inability to cope with the numbers of guests - I checked out and found another hotel

So - the 'brand' has yet to visit Sheffield - beware of singing lifts and ice-fettishers.

One of the worst

by TripAdvisor Member moody1

My wife and I stayed there on their £65 per night weekend offer, booked over the internet. On arrival we found that all the smoking rooms were fully booked so we were 'upgraded' to a room overlooking the canal. What they did not tell us was that music would be going on on the floor below at a party into the small hours. If they cannot guarantee a particular room type request then the internet site should give you the opportunity to cancel or they should notify you in order to give you that opportunity.
The bar area was absolutely shoddy with clapped out chairs, threadbare carpet and a very dated 60's look.The restaurant is buffet service and the food had obiously been out keeping 'warm' for several hours.
My tuna steak was tough enough to sole a pair of boots.The food was so bad we sent it all back and went into town to eat and we didn't even go near it the second night.
The corridors are drab and the upgrade room had peeling wallpaper making the place look more like Rigsby's house in Rising Damp.
On leaving I was surprised to find that car parking is an extra at £5 per night, which is not made clear on booking or at the check-in.
In future we'll go to the Holiday Inn next door, it is tons better.

Awful!

by TripAdvisor Member Crackbaldo

This is a terrible hotel. The rooms were not very clean - there were other people's hair on the beds and in the bathrooms! They only provided one set of towels, even though two people were staying in the room. Worst of all - they had high school dances/proms two out of the three nights I stayed and played loud disco music until 1 am. When I called the desk to complain (I was in town on business) I was told they couldn't tell the group to turn the music off because they had already paid for the room. I got no response when I told them I had already paid for my room as well and asked if they were a hotel or a reception hall! This is definitely NOT a Hilton. It's the worst hotel I've ever stayed in

For the price - 137 GBP - this hotel definitely wasn't worth it. You'd be more comfortable camping.

Pleasant enough but pricy bar

We paid £55 for a Saturday night. The bar was quite pricey but really nice compared to other city centre hotel bars, really light and airy. The bedroom was clean and tidy, obviously there was no warmth or atmosphere but it is meant as a business hotel rather than a romantic getaway. We had a room above the bar and there was a party going on downstairs which didn't bother us but might bother others. Nice friendly staff, perfect for what we wanted, a clean and tidy modern hotel at a reasonable rate. Would recommend for location if you want city centre - even though I found the the city centre to be grim.

Had our wedding here

by TripAdvisor Member IAB2

We had a civil ceremony in one of the arch rooms overlooking the quay and then an evening reception in the large function room. Staff were absolutely brilliant and made the whole day run extremely smoothly, we got the whole ground floor bar and function rooms to ourselves and guests could spread out. We also took a boat trip from the quayside outside.
Food for both the sit down meal and the buffet was really good and I would recommend the Hilton to anyone. Also, it was not as expensive as other hotels in the area. Finally, we had a lovely room with a huge balcony overlooking the canal wharf - Sheffield Hilton made our day just as we wanted it to be.

wedding reception disaster

by TripAdvisor Member PeterWool

we had my daughters wedding reception here and it was a disaster. We paid for a drinks reception for when our guests arrived at the hotel from the wedding ceremony, we foolishly expected the hotel to have staff present who would direct our guests to the reception area and hand out the drinks. This was not the case the only person on duty was a porter who simply directed people to the bar area so that none of our guests realised that we had arranged for drinks on arrival. The drinks had been set out on a table tucked away that nobody noticed, by the time they were pointed out, over an hour since the first guests arrived, the punch was warm and the soft drinks never did turn up. We were promised a private area roped of for our sole use, again this did not happen we shared the area with strangers dressed in street clothes. The area set aside for us was decorated with 18th birthday balloons presumably from a previous function. We chose wine to drink during the meal from the hotels wine list, when we asked for an additional bottle we were informed that they had run out of this type of wine and could we choose an alternative, surely it is not too much to ask that the hotel have more then the absolute minimum number of bottles available. There was a noticeable lack of management and staff throughout the early part of the evening, probably due to a larger function on the ground floor having priority.I had the feeling that because we were a relatively small group (approx 60 people) we were a nusance rather then welcome guests. I could continue listing other things that I felt were not up to standard but what would be the point. I feel that the whole evening was amateurish and completely unprofessional and spoilt for me what should have been one of the highlights of my life.

Fine for business

by TripAdvisor Member hywel

I stayed in this hotel for one night to do with work. It is fairly central and the rom that I had was large and the bathroom was a similar size to some hotel rooms that I have had. The rooms are not air conditioned and as I stayed there in the July heat wave this mean that it was slightly noisy as you had to have the window open. Apart from the buffet breakfast, which was average I didn't really use any of the other facilities.

I have stayed at other Hilton hotels in the past and this was not really in their league, it did rather feel like an upmarket travelinn

Needs an Extreme Makeover

by TripAdvisor Member LCS1

I stayed here for one night on business and it is not up to the standard of some other Hiltons I have stayed at.

Staff: at check in the gentleman was very efficient and as my travel agent had not passed on my gold card number, he organise a fantastic bowl of fruit to be delivered to my room
Some staff in bar and restaurant great others useless i.e one did not know how to work the handheld payment machine, another just looked at me from the bar and did not come over to ask what I would like to drink.
Doorman was great and very cheery.

Room: requires a big makeover, old and tired and very 80's, even though I am sure it is not as old as that. Shower was awful, but nice crabtree and evelyn toiletries.
I had pipes behind my room that were loud and noisy most of the night...why I now travel everywhere with my earplugs !

Food: Ate in restaurant, service good. Food extremely average, you would think they would be able to make a bit of salmon taste of something especially when it was meant to be marinated !

Taxi drivers in Sheffield are the rudest in the country and remember to book one at least 1/2 hour prior to when you need it for especially in the morning.

Comments