Leopold Hotel

Leopold Street 2, Leopold Square, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, S1 2JG, United Kingdom

Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

• Astraeus's Profile Photo

An average hotel let down further by poor service

FORTUNATELY the poor stay we had in this hotel did not manage to spoil the entire evening although it certainly left an indelible mark against the name of what I had hoped would be a spectacular hotel.

Located in the very heart of Sheffield and within an easy walking distance of any venue in the city centre, things do start well for the Leopold Hotel. It is contained, on its back side, in a pleasant plaza filled with bars and restaurants and the old building has all the grandiose of a boutique hotel. How badly it let itself down.

We were booked into a £90 per night Deluxe King room. As it is one of the most expensive rooms available in Sheffield, we rightly expected luxury - and at the very least for it to fulfil its promise of being a "deluxe" room.

It did not. The room is ordinary - it could easily pass for a Travelodge or Premier Inn room. The room, despite literature on the website and in the hotel brochure indicating otherwise, did not have any bathrobes or slippers available. The room, in fact, was very bare indeed. The complimentary bottles of water in the rooms comprised one sparkling and one still 330ml of supermarket-bought water. The telephone was disconnected from the wall and so, in order for me to complain about the lack of hot water, I had to plug the telephone in myself. Appalling to present a room in this manner to a new guest.

And so to the hot water. Or lack thereof. We were in Room 126 and the shower, bath and sink taps - nothing. Freezing cold. Which put paid to my partner's idea of unwinding in the bath that evening. I spoke to reception who had no idea what had caused the problem and so, after much deliberation, they moved us to Room 143 - clearly not a Deluxe King room.

An hour into our time at the Leopold Hotel, here we were in a lesser room than that for which we had paid - not only was the room smaller but this one did not even have a bath in it so that idea had well-and-truly been put to bed. And if the previous room had been akin to a Travelodge, we were now cooped-up in an Ibis. This was abysmal.

I telephoned down to reception - fortunately the cleaner in this room had seen fit to plug the telephone in themselves - and requested that we were moved to a room of the ilk which had been booked. No such luck, they assured me, as the hotel was "probably" fully-booked. The receptionist had absolutely no idea whether rooms were available or not. They assured me they would call back within five minutes and I foolishly trusted them.

I went down to reception after 15 minutes of radio silence and I was told to wait for 10 minutes as the maintenance staff were not available that evening to fix the hot water and the hotel was indeed fully-booked. Could you not have called me, I asked. "I am sorry, Sir." This quickly became a standard response to everything I said at reception. "Why is the hot water not working?", "Why are maintenance staff not available on a Friday night of all nights?", "Will I only be paying for the lesser room?". "I am sorry, Sir". It was becoming pathetic.

I returned to the room and showered. Uncomfortably. At 6' 3" I am not outrageously tall and yet the shower cubicle makes absolutely no provision for someone even approaching my height. The shower head fell at shoulder height, forcing me to squat in order to wash my hair. My partner, at 5' 5" tall, squeezed under the shower head with three inches at most to spare between herself and the shower head. She is 5' 5". I, on the other hand, barely had enough headroom to even stand up straight in the cubicle.

The bathroom flooded. Of course it did. Because the lip on the basin of the shower cubicle is ridiculously shallow, meaning a build-up of a few millimetres of water is sufficient to send it over the lip and onto the bathroom floor.

To answer what is no doubt an important question to many guests of "boutique hotels" (as reluctant as I am to classify this hotel as boutique) - the 'designer' toiletries advertised so proudly throughout the hotel's marketing materials come courtesy of Prija. No, me neither.

The one bright light on this dismal, overcast and rainy night of a stay at the Leopold Hotel was Mukhtar, a very helpful and amenable gentleman who did his best to assist us - and latterly to assuage us - throughout the time we were at the hotel.

I could not heartily recommend that anyone stays in this hotel unless it has improved very - and I mean by some margin - significantly since my stay. The wonderful St. Paul's Mercure hotel stands only a few hundred metres away and offers a far nicer environment with a far more pleasurable service than does this imitation boutique hotel.

• Getcarlos's Profile Photo

Sheffields best hotel, No Question

Leopold Hotel is a great little hotel right in the Centre of Sheffield, it forms one side of the recently refurbished Leopold square giving an abundance of Restraunts and Bars to chill out at right on your doorster... if the well stocked Bar and Restraunt within the hotel don't satisfy.

Rooms are spacious, having stayed in a standard room and a Mezzane Suite, i would definatley reccomend upgrading to the Suite as the free minibar and seperate living area is well worth the extra reddies.

Hotel breakfasts are filling and included in some rates, your standard buffet English is more than enough to keep you going up and down the hilly city centre. The only negative about the hotel is that the although the car park is only a 5 minute walk away and there is drop off outside the hotel beware of the 20 minute ring road detour and navigation of the City Centre one way streets.

Directions: City Centre, Leopold Square

More about Leopold Hotel

Nice, but set up for business users claiming expenses

by TripAdvisor Member pretzel100

Smart hotel built from an old school in one of Sheffield's newly discovered and delightful cobbled corners - fantastic buildings and great restaurants and bars just outside. Staff were great and old fashioned service (Turn-down sir ?). All the Posh Trimmings are present here (very nice they are too).

However, on top of your bill you will be expected to pay for everything, and its not that cheap to begin with. We had to pay quite a bit extra for breakfast and internet.

Considering its location (near the legal quarter and Trippet lane) I believe that this hotel was set up for business users rather than the traveller looking for a nice hotel.

Rooms were larger and better value for money in Macdonalds Hotel, St Pauls PLace, 5 minute walk away.

The Lovely Leopold

by TripAdvisor Member Fussy07

Not many establishments can boast the title "Small Luxury Hotel of the World," and when I read this on their website I admit I was sceptical. However, when we arrived, all my reservations flew out the window (not literally- that would have been a problem) as we were welcomed into a stylish and comfortable foyer. Location is ideal for exploring Sheffield on foot. There is a bus stop opposite if required. The hotel bar overlooks a lovely courtyard open to the public and filled with fountains and at least two Italian restaurants. We ate the first night in the hotel bar, and I can thoroughly recommend the Fisherman's Pie- delicious! To sum up: good location, good food, friendly staff, spotless rooms, comfortable beds. We would definately stay there again.

Fab Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Lisa_J_B

Amazing hotel in Sheffield in a great little setting which is a newly converted area in the city. Great bars and restaurants in the courtyard outside the hotel, with outside dining set around fountains. Will be a real winner in the summer and very busy I expect. Hotel was great, rooms lovely, service wonderful. Still some work going on in the hotel - painting etc, but kept to evening times. I expect the price will go up but managed to get a double room only rate for £92 - bargain!

On the Whole, Very good.

by TripAdvisor Member ukdryver

We stopped at this hotel on Saturday 5th April. The location is right in the heart of the city centre shopping area. Everything is close by. They sent us to a NCP carpark by giving us a little map. This was fine and it was about 5-10 minutes walk back to the hotel.
Check-in was very quick and the staff were very nice. The room was smart and very clean.
It was just our luck that the room heating was not coming on. A staff member came to the room and tried to get it going but failed. He told us that the technician was off for the weekend so he provided us with a portable heater. Unfortunately it was a very cold weekend and the heater was not very warm. The bathroom was still cold.
The tv was excellent, 32 inch flat screen mounted on the wall with plenty of choice. There is a keyboard in the drawer if you want internet at a cost. The bed was very comfortable.
When we checked out I asked for a discount due to the heating problem and they gave me a 25% discount (£25) of which I was very happy with.
They validated our parking ticket and this knocked about £6 off our 24 hour stay bringing the cost to £5.60.
Obviously the heating problem was a one-off and they compensated me well. I would definately use the hotel in the future.

Staff not helpful

by TripAdvisor Member HTravellerUk

Breakfast is supposed to start at 7. It didn't. Nothing was ready. When the cereal was eventually put out there were no spoons or milk. I had to ask for milk which was brought to the table in a plastic container as you buy in the supermarket. When I asked if they had low fat alternatives to butter I was told curtly 'No we don't'.

One of the receptionists was unhelpful and very unfriendly.

The rooms were good but other experiences definitely were not.

Make sure you're not allergic to feathers!

by TripAdvisor Member Bryke

We won a night's stay at this hotel and took this the night before Good Friday, so possibly the hotel wasn't busy as it was holiday time. Unlike other reports, we found the receptionist very friendly, however, our stay wasn't without incident!

As I'm allergic to feathers, I rang up earlier in the week to make sure that the bedding would be anti-allergenic. The person I spoke to said "yes, I'll make sure they're anti-angelic"... When we got there, I double checked that the bedding was anti-allergenic - yes, I was told, it's on the booking. We were shown to the room and not only did the pillows contain feathers - but so did the duvet! And it took them over an hour to change them! By then, it was 8pm and their restaurant wasn't open (although we could have eaten in the bar), however, we went for a walk round and there was no shortage of choices of places to eat nearby.

Getting back to our room after eating, we got ready for bed and tried to switch off the lights. And found that we couldn't switch one of them off (without taking the keycard out and stumbling round in the dark). My partner rang and was told "that's right, it doesn't switch off". I then phoned back and said "I don't want the light on all night, come and switch it off". At which point our stay could easily have been a plot for a sitcom - the duty manager came with a ladder and tried to take out a halogen light with his bare hands. I raced to get a towel, by which time he said that he couldn't see anything as he was looking into the light and had gone temporarily blind. After a few minutes, during which time he told us how this had been reported to the housekeeper a couple of weeks ago, he did manage to remove the lightbulb (leaving trailing wires) and we went to sleep in a very comfortable bed.

Our room overlooked the courtyard and a crowd of people woke us up when they left a restaurant - as did the wind howling all night. Must be said it was a particularly windy night, but the secondary glazing didn't do the trick.

Although we had been offered breakfast in bed at no extra charge, by then, we really didn't trust them to bring what we'd ordered to the room, so went for breakfast in the restaurant, which was very good indeed.

All in all, our stay was an experience we'll dine out on for years to come - if we had to stay in Sheffield again, I wouldn't rule out this hotel completely, however, I would definitely make sure I'd taken anti-histamines!

A lot of things could be improved, especially communication between housekeeping and reception! They have obviously spent a lot of money refurbishing the building, but seem to have skimped on staff training.

Not what you would expect from SLH!

by TripAdvisor Member PAWNorthamptonshire

We stayed here on 12th April, while celebrating my birthday. My wife booked a mezzanine suite and when making the reservation with the hotel direct, was told that we would be given the best Suite they had as we were celebrating.
Once we found the hotel, we checked in and reception were very helpful, offering to take our luggage to our room while we circumnavigated Sheffield for a car park.
On arriving back to the hotel we were greeted by a very unfriendly man (Mustaf) who gave us our room key and told us to get in the lift to the second floor.
Our room was very warm and dark. it had all the mod cons in it, including a plama TV that was fitted to a 1" piece of ply wood on the wall!!!!
The sofa - what can I say, it was like sitting on a piece of concreate, where is the luxury?
The bathroom was adequate but nothing special, the toiletries were plentifull, but you could not get toilet roll much cheaper.
The bedroom area was adequate with a comfortable bed, but the wardrobe doors were heavy and kept sticking.
We were greated by the room next door playing loud music, and at this point we thought we would not hear the end of it, and as expected we were woken at 4.30am with the banging of a bedroom door, loud voices and very strong language.
We had the aircon on full and yet we both woke in the morning as if we had slep next to a radiator.
Breakfast was o.k but the menu states that the breakfast is cooked to order and expect a delay when busy, however it was help yourself from the buffet!
On check out, I paid and had my car park ticket validated, and was given a copy of my bill, it was only when I got home that I found I had been given someone elses bill!!
All in all we felt that the customer service was very poor, and the finer detail is not to the normal standards of a Small luxury Hotel of the World, more like a delux travel lodge.

Nice hotel with good service

by TripAdvisor Member Pacman_68

Stayed with my wife for three nights. The reception staff was very friendly and helpful. We had a room with king size bed. The room could have been a little bit larger, but overall it was ok. Excellent equipment (flatscreen tv...), bathroom also ok.
Safe was not working on arrival, but that was corrected within half an hour.
The breakfast restaurant is very narrow and dark, but the breakfast is ok.
Location is right in the center, all sights, shopping areas, restaurants and bars/pubs in walking distance.
Very good hotel for city trips and business, definitely not a family hotel for families with kids.

leopold hotel - not worth the money

by TripAdvisor Member mercaclassman

Booked dinner, bed and breakfast package. They took my money on checkin but forgot to tell us that the restaurant does not open on Sunday so dinner was a bar meal - selection was from 4 dishes. Staff are mainly students who have had either very little or no training. At breakfast the staff were moving food around with there bare hands. In the bar there were 2 staff, a man from a neighbouring bar came into the hotel with a large plastic bag, went behind the bar and started kissing and canoodling with the female behind the bar and after that started sparring with the male, he then left with his plastic bag full of ice. There is no management at the hotel, it is manned by unqualified and untrained staff.
This is not the standard that the SLH group supposedly aims to achieve, we were very disappointed and can only see the hotel going in one direction, downhill, very quickly.

Comments