Leopold Hotel

Tags

Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Luxury Travel
See Amenities
Astraeus's Profile Photo

An average hotel let down further by poor service

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 6, 2012

FORTUNATELY the poor stay we had in this hotel did not manage to spoil the entire evening although it certainly left an indelible mark against the name of what I had hoped would be a spectacular hotel.

Located in the very heart of Sheffield and within an easy walking distance of any venue in the city centre, things do start well for the Leopold Hotel. It is contained, on its back side, in a pleasant plaza filled with bars and restaurants and the old building has all the grandiose of a boutique hotel. How badly it let itself down.

We were booked into a £90 per night Deluxe King room. As it is one of the most expensive rooms available in Sheffield, we rightly expected luxury - and at the very least for it to fulfil its promise of being a "deluxe" room.

It did not. The room is ordinary - it could easily pass for a Travelodge or Premier Inn room. The room, despite literature on the website and in the hotel brochure indicating otherwise, did not have any bathrobes or slippers available. The room, in fact, was very bare indeed. The complimentary bottles of water in the rooms comprised one sparkling and one still 330ml of supermarket-bought water. The telephone was disconnected from the wall and so, in order for me to complain about the lack of hot water, I had to plug the telephone in myself. Appalling to present a room in this manner to a new guest.

And so to the hot water. Or lack thereof. We were in Room 126 and the shower, bath and sink taps - nothing. Freezing cold. Which put paid to my partner's idea of unwinding in the bath that evening. I spoke to reception who had no idea what had caused the problem and so, after much deliberation, they moved us to Room 143 - clearly not a Deluxe King room.

An hour into our time at the Leopold Hotel, here we were in a lesser room than that for which we had paid - not only was the room smaller but this one did not even have a bath in it so that idea had well-and-truly been put to bed. And if the previous room had been akin to a Travelodge, we were now cooped-up in an Ibis. This was abysmal.

I telephoned down to reception - fortunately the cleaner in this room had seen fit to plug the telephone in themselves - and requested that we were moved to a room of the ilk which had been booked. No such luck, they assured me, as the hotel was "probably" fully-booked. The receptionist had absolutely no idea whether rooms were available or not. They assured me they would call back within five minutes and I foolishly trusted them.

I went down to reception after 15 minutes of radio silence and I was told to wait for 10 minutes as the maintenance staff were not available that evening to fix the hot water and the hotel was indeed fully-booked. Could you not have called me, I asked. "I am sorry, Sir." This quickly became a standard response to everything I said at reception. "Why is the hot water not working?", "Why are maintenance staff not available on a Friday night of all nights?", "Will I only be paying for the lesser room?". "I am sorry, Sir". It was becoming pathetic.

I returned to the room and showered. Uncomfortably. At 6' 3" I am not outrageously tall and yet the shower cubicle makes absolutely no provision for someone even approaching my height. The shower head fell at shoulder height, forcing me to squat in order to wash my hair. My partner, at 5' 5" tall, squeezed under the shower head with three inches at most to spare between herself and the shower head. She is 5' 5". I, on the other hand, barely had enough headroom to even stand up straight in the cubicle.

The bathroom flooded. Of course it did. Because the lip on the basin of the shower cubicle is ridiculously shallow, meaning a build-up of a few millimetres of water is sufficient to send it over the lip and onto the bathroom floor.

To answer what is no doubt an important question to many guests of "boutique hotels" (as reluctant as I am to classify this hotel as boutique) - the 'designer' toiletries advertised so proudly throughout the hotel's marketing materials come courtesy of Prija. No, me neither.

The one bright light on this dismal, overcast and rainy night of a stay at the Leopold Hotel was Mukhtar, a very helpful and amenable gentleman who did his best to assist us - and latterly to assuage us - throughout the time we were at the hotel.

I could not heartily recommend that anyone stays in this hotel unless it has improved very - and I mean by some margin - significantly since my stay. The wonderful St. Paul's Mercure hotel stands only a few hundred metres away and offers a far nicer environment with a far more pleasurable service than does this imitation boutique hotel.

Getcarlos's Profile Photo

Sheffields best hotel, No Question

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 5, 2010

Leopold Hotel is a great little hotel right in the Centre of Sheffield, it forms one side of the recently refurbished Leopold square giving an abundance of Restraunts and Bars to chill out at right on your doorster... if the well stocked Bar and Restraunt within the hotel don't satisfy.

Rooms are spacious, having stayed in a standard room and a Mezzane Suite, i would definatley reccomend upgrading to the Suite as the free minibar and seperate living area is well worth the extra reddies.

Hotel breakfasts are filling and included in some rates, your standard buffet English is more than enough to keep you going up and down the hilly city centre. The only negative about the hotel is that the although the car park is only a 5 minute walk away and there is drop off outside the hotel beware of the 20 minute ring road detour and navigation of the City Centre one way streets.

Directions: City Centre, Leopold Square

Nearby Leopold Hotel

Leopold Hotel

• Leopold Hotel Sheffield

Address: Leopold Street 2, Leopold Square, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, S1 2JG, United Kingdom

Amenities at Leopold Hotel

• Business Services
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Sheffield Travel Forum

Need advice about Sheffield, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Sheffield and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Sheffield hotel reviews

Hilton Sheffield
Mercure St Paul's Sheffield
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Jurys Inn Sheffield
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Premier Inn Sheffield (Meadowhall)
Diplomat's Lodge
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Park Inn Sheffield
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Cutlers Hotel
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Premier Inn Sheffield (Arena)
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Premier Inn Sheffield (City Centre)

Explore Deeper into Sheffield
Fishy feet massage/pedicure!
Botanical Gardens
Don Valley Stadium
Things to Do
Pub with plenty of character
Live Bands and more
Friendly Turkish/ Mediterranean restaurant
Restaurants
Selectively sourced, locally loyal!
Spotting Sheffield Peregrine Falcons
Bill Drummond Grafitti on Norfolk Bridge
Off The Beaten Path
There's more to shopping than Meadowhell
Sheffield Castle Foundations
Night Market- Street Food
Shopping for a Good Cause
Shopping
Street Art - Can you see what it is yet?
Car Boot Sales
Classy Italian!
Restaurants
Well run traditional pub, with delicious food!
British Cuisine
Real Ale pub at Sheffield train station
Winter Garden
mixed
stay away
Long standing Independent Record Store
Music Venue
Nightlife
An advertisement to fireclay bricks and figures
Hen Nights/Stag nights
Local Customs
High Hazels Park
Attercliffe - Hill Top Chapel
Off The Beaten Path
Joseph Thorntons Home -Thornton Chocolates!
Sheffield By The Seaside