Mercure St Paul's Sheffield

119 Norfolk Street (formerly Macdonald St. Paul's Hotel), Sheffield, South Yorkshire S1 2JE, UK

Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

4* hotel in unbeatable city centre location

Having wanted to stay at the 4* Mercure St Pauls hotel for some time, I finally had an excuse to do so when my girlfriend, Emma, bought us a weekend stay for my birthday. We stayed there on a Saturday night in January 2011.

When booking through a hotel comparison website, you might expect to pay anything between £60 and £100 per night for a double room depending on the day of the week and the time of year.

Location

Mercure St Pauls is arguably the best located hotel in the heart of Sheffield city centre.

It is located next to both the Winter Garden and the Peace Gardens and besides the Town Hall. The Lyceum and Crucible theatres are literally less than a 1 minute walk away across Tudor Square, while a 5 minute walk takes you to the nearest Supertram stops at Cathedral or City Hall.

There are dozens of bars, restaurants and shops within a few minutes walk of the hotel.

Bedroom

Compared to most hotels I've stayed at, I would say that the rooms at Mercure St Pauls are very spacious.

In common with many hotels these days, our double room featured two single beds pushed together rather than a double bed. Other furniture in the room included a double wardrobe, a fridge, a work desk and chair, two armchairs, a small sofa and a large flat screen TV. There was also an ironing board and a hairdryer, as well as a kettle and complimentary coffee, tea and flapjacks.

As well as having a large window (with excellent views over the Peace Gardens) which gave the room plenty of natural light, the room also featured a handful of lamps and lights. There were ample power sockets for recharging electricals overnight.

Room temperature can be individually controlled via a panel on the wall.

The en-suite bathroom featured both a bathtub and a shower cubicle, a washbasin, a toilet and a heated towel rack (with a couple of towels each). It was modern and spotlessly clean. Unusually for a bathroom, a speaker piped in the sound from the TV in the bedroom (this could be turned on and off as per your preference).

Gym and Spa Facilities

The room rate included access to the hotel's gym and spa facilities. Without a room booking, access to these facilities would ordinarily cost £25 per person at weekends.

We took advantage of the spa facilities on the Saturday afternoon of our stay. Towels are provided free of charge at the spa reception area when you sign in, but you'll need a £1 coin (refundable) to operate the lockers in the changing rooms.

The spa facilities include:

Steam Room – very hot and with a strong eucalyptus aroma;

Aroma Grotto – neither as hot as the steam room, nor (despite its name) anywhere near as aromatic;

Sauna – an ideal temperature and large enough to accommodate between 4 and 6 people at a time;

Ice Igloo – a small, freezing cold room with an ice dispenser providing ice to rub into your skin's pores;

Experience Shower – a shower with "fragrance", "drench" (hot tropical rain) and "cold" settings;

Swimming Pool – a decent size for swimming lengths, but colder than I'd have liked it to be;

Sun Loungers – very comfortable reclining sun loungers are located throughout the spa area;

Drinking water – there is a tap dispensing drinking water in the spa area.

All in all, the spa facilities are very good considering that they are included in the room rate. We've been to better spas, with wider ranging facilities, and we'd perhaps have been a little disappointed had we paid the £25 per person entrance fee, but in the circumstances we were more than satisfied.

General

Our room rate didn't include breakfast. If you don't get breakfast included, it can be purchased additionally, although I believe it is expensive and I suspect that you could get a better value breakfast at a nearby cafe in the city centre.

There are limited car parking spaces immediately outside the hotel, but there are several public car parks nearby in the city centre.

The ground floor houses an impressive Champagne Bar and Restaurant, with piano music in the evenings and windows looking directly into the adjacent Winter Garden.

Despite being ranked 13th (out of 55 Sheffield hotels) on TripAdvisor at the time of writing, I would suggest that Mercure St Pauls, along with the Leopold Hotel, is one of the two best city centre hotels in terms of convenient location and quality of facilities.

Mercure St Pauls is one of Sheffield city centre's finest hotels. Its location next to the Winter Garden and Peace Gardens is unbeatable. Rooms are spacious and well furnished and the spa facilities are very good. Highly recommended!

Directions: Located adjacent to the Winter Garden and next to the Peace Gardens and Town Hall in Sheffield city centre. A few metres walk across Tudor Square brings you to the Lyceum and Crucible theatres.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

New stylish hotels

Sheffield is trying to develop it's position within the lucrative conference industry. Although Sheffeild may not spring to mind as a great location for a conference, a range of new hotels will make the experience at least bearable as you put up with the fourth speaker addressing the audience at the 'Combined plastics industry working network conference" or some such other mind-numbing and soul destroying event.

The St Paul's Macdonald hotel is a sylish stainless steel sort of hotel right in the centre. Clearly 4-star it just aches modern design.

The 'Leopold' is due to open in mid-2007, but already has made it into up-market guides such as 'Small luxury hotels of the world'. How it can be included and reviewed when it still is a building site is beyond me - but it might be worth a look.

More about Mercure St Paul's Sheffield

Classy Hotel - shame about some clientele

by TripAdvisor Member JohnKirk

This is a very well appointed hotel in a great location being right in the city centre next to the wonderful Winter and Peace Gardens. We stayed there on New Year's Eve. Although I thought I knew Sheffield very well - having lived there for many years, the traffic system is a complete night mare. There is only one way to approach by car and that is along Arundel Gate and turn left at The Crucible and up Norfolk Street. Reception and the room were great and we felt at home immediately. Didn't dine there as we went out for a meal and didn't have the breakfast as it was to expensive. Did drink in the bar and listen to the jazz band on New year's Eve - band and cocktails were good. The only problem we had was with other guests coming out of the lifts and shouting their mouths off at 1.15,1.30,2,15 until about 4 am . I suppose that is what you should expect on NYE ? - but most of them did seem to be South Yorkshire nouveau riche types who couldn't keep quiet. No doubt the other 364 nights of the year are fine. The view of the Winter Gardens from our window -lit up like a massive spaceship at night - was worth the trip. recommended to anyone needing or wanting to be right in the city centre.

'Could do better' but overall, extremely good

by TripAdvisor Member Fusspot007

Been working in Sheffield for quite a while so needed somewhere decent to be able to relax in the evenings. This is an above average hotel and is fairly priced for the quality but Dreadful Housekeeping and niggly breaking down of facilities does let it down.

Staff: doesn't matter who you bump into, every single staff member is pleasant, polite and helpful - couldn't fault them in this area at all, not ever. Be patient with foreign members of staff who have difficulty with language; they are still professionally trained to a very high standard and this should be respected.

Rooms; contemporary and still smart despite a few knocks here and there. Big comfortable bed. Complimentary water, ironing board & iron great. Plasma tv, mini-bar, free internet access. Heated towel rail in the bathroom. Tv sound piped into bathroom with adjustable volume. Wonderful views whichever side of the hotel you are on.
Niggles: standard of cleaning is unbelievably appalling with dust and dirty marks very evident - 2nd worst I've ever seen (1st was a hotel in Cambridge!). If you like peace and quiet, think twice! Being in the centre of a city heavily populated with students, their noisy antics are intrusive especially when the noise wakes you up at 3/4 am. Pity that you can't have fresh air in the room but I completely understand why the windows have to be sealed units. When it rains heavily, many of the public areas on ground floor leak. Best not bring a car as parking limited (it is a city centre!) and there is no car park. Room facilities sound great but very niggly that so many things don't work properly - could do you a list but what a waste of time. The main one is that internet access more often than not, is not available.

Food; very good standard, very well presented but varies according to individual chefs' preference! Decent room service menu. Very rarely been brought a luke-warm plate of food. Not eaten in restaurant in the evening but hear it's expensive (compared to what?). Breakfasts; plenty of choice (eg smoked kippers, porridge etc) but service not terrific which is worse when they're short staffed,

Leisure facilities; fantastic pool, and great wet room areas. Spacious well equipped gym and free-weight area. Wonderful beauty rooms with relaxing lounges.

Get to the Gym Early

by TripAdvisor Member masbooth

I booked the Hotel as the Hilton was full at late notice. I will now book earlier to ensure I get a room at the Hilton! The food is not so good and I was very put off when the gym started to close at 9pm alhough advertised open till 10pm. The attendant started to switch off lights, clean all equipment close to me. Then out came the vacumn cleaner baning into my machine and vacumning around the immediate area. Decided to leave early to get a shower and use the Sauna, as fed up by the attendant. Only to get there and it be switched off, all by 9.30pm when advirtised the gym did not close till 10pm. i will not be back!! If your looking for a good Hotel in Sheffield go for the Marriot or the Hilton.

Probably your best choce

by TripAdvisor Member Kyri07

Having stayed in both the Holiday Inn and Hilton I decided to move somewhere more central and the Mercure certainly fits the bill. Although its very self-contained with a couple of good restaurants & a good pool/gym, its central location means there's plenty nearby to chose from if you want to eat out and you don't have to make the slightly disconcerting trip through some "interesting" areas to get into town that you do in the other hotels I stayed at.
Sadly there are few deals on offer and booking ahead is a must. That said the rooms are very large and very well appointed and the staff are eager to please if a little over-worked. In all its probably the best hotel in Sheffield if you're staying on business.

Superb hotel in a good location

by TripAdvisor Member TATraveller

Agree with all the positive reviews. This is a smart, modern hotel with spacious public areas. It seemed quiet as one side is attached to the Wintergarden and the other faces a pedestrian area which is part of Milleneum square. Spa and swimming pool area was really spacious, clean and well run. Bedroom was a good size for a modern UK hotel - only quibble with bathroom was that the shower was a bit feeble.
Close to shops, theatre, trams, station (10mins walk) - no reason to think of going anywhere else.

Lovely hotel, great location

by TripAdvisor Member _kmz_aw_

We stayed in the Mercure St Paul's Hotel and Spa for a Valentine's treat, and were not disappointed. The spa was very pleasant, and we particularly enjoyed the manicure (me) and massage (him) we received. The overall spa had a lovely atmosphere. The hotel is spacious and airy, and the staff are all friendly. When we checked in, we were pleasantly surprised to hear that the contents of the mini-fridge in our room were complimentary and that it would be re-stocked if necessary. The room was large and had a lovely view over the city. It was all very clean and we really liked the big bath, separate from the spacious shower. The shower was a bit weaker than what we're used to - I found myself thinking I should've showered down at the spa rather than in the room. However, this doesn't lower my opinion of the hotel as a whole, it was lovely and I would definitely stay there again.

Wished I could have stayed longer

by TripAdvisor Member toothyruthy

I am really fond of Sheffield as I came to Uni here, but it really did need some new hotels! Loved the Mercure St Pauls - friendly staff & atmosphere & although we booked the room last minute & it was really cheap, it was a perfectly nice big room with a nice view over the top of the winter garden, and out of the front of the hotel... I will definitely stay here again

Pleasant enough

by TripAdvisor Member Andrew030

This is a pleasant enough hotel; probably one of the better choices in the city. The location couldn't be better; the staff are friendly and attentive; the facilities in the sports centre excellent. Reception and the communal areas are very contemporary and the champagne bar had an attractive ambiance. The bedrooms are also very comfortable and attractively laid out.

Overall, I would return - but there were disappointments. The restaurants, whilst attractive, were not great. The sockets in my room blew on the first night, although it must be said that the staff were responsive when this was reported to them. The water pressure in the shower on the fifth floor was VERY disappointing and I had the misfortunate to be placed in a room with an inter-connecting door: you could hear rather too much through it.

Short stay in Sheffield

by TripAdvisor Member ChoccyFudge

We stayed in this hotel for one night (Saturday/Sunday) whilst visiting relatives. The hotel is very central, but unfortunately it doesn't have a car park. Reception advised us that we could use the nearest NCP car park at a reduced rate; we didn't need to use this facility as we left our car with our relatives.
Our fourth floor room was huge, very clean and well decorated. The bathroom was excellent, with both a bath and a walk in shower. Plenty of large white towels were provided. The only complaint is that the door to our room was directly opposite the lift resulting in our hearing people coming back to their rooms throughout the night.
Others on tripadvisor warned about the cost of breakfast (around£16 each) so we decided against including it in our booking. There were plenty coffee shops just outside the hotel, all open on the Sunday morning (including Starbucks and Costa).
We'd booked the room through the hotel's own website, selecting the £59 no change/cancellation option. Overall it was excellent value for money and we will be using the hotel again.

Comments