Sheffield Park Hotel

Chesterfield Rd S, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, S8 8BW, United Kingdom
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sheffield Park
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Sheffield Park Hotel

Overall a good place to stay.

by TripAdvisor Member 147red

Firstly, can I say that anyone reading these reviews should discard anything submitted more than 12 months ago as the hotel has been fully refurbished and anything prior to this now gives an unfair view. The check-in could have been a little quicker, but the member of staff was pleasant enough! The room was modern and well decorated with a lovely clean bathroom. There was a well stocked amenity tray and a minibar with complimentary bottled water which was a nice touch. The bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in (I even looked who made the mattress as I'm looking for a new bed myself!) The public areas were spotlessly clean and the leisure club the same. Dinner was well priced at £16 for two courses and was very tasty indeed with Steak and rack of lamb among the offerings. Breakfast could have been a little better due to the taste of the sausages. Think they might be Irish, but they tasted off and everyone was leaving them. Restaurant staff were efficient without being over friendly. My only gripe and it's a fairly big one really was the price of some of the drinks. I don't drink alcohol, my wife only drinks a spirit now and again. A bottle of lemonade cost £1.85. We joined another couple who do drink and a round with a pont of lager, a spirit and coke and two bottles of lemonade was £12.50. Unfortunately for the hotel, we decided because of this to go out to a nearby pub restaurant on our second night and the very same round was £7.10. We stayed all night and had 6 rounds. If the hotel hadn't charged so highly, they would have benefitted from our custom. We have family in Chesterfield nearby and would stay here again, but it would be bed and breakfast and down to the local pub for dinner and drinks.

Great one night stay, shame about the taxis!

by TripAdvisor Member Catherineonholiday

Stayed for one night after a party in Sheffield.
Hotel has obviously recently been refurbished. Very comfortable rooms. All very clean and tidy.
Check-in was friendly, efficient and organised.
Enjoyed using the pool - a bit small if it is busy but it wasn't when we were using it.
Good breakfast- lots of choice, serve yourself buffet.
We were impressed by everything.
The only problem we had was despite booking a taxi with reception at check in (3.00pm for taxi at 7.45pm), the taxi did not show and we finished up having to drive to the party and leaving the car overnight in Sheffield which sort of defeated the object of having a large car park on the hotel site. No problems hailing a black cab back to the hotel nor booking one via receptionon Sunday morning to collect the car. Approx cost for taxi into Sheffield £10.

Remarkable value for money

Hotel was easy to find, just off a busy dual carriageway on the southern outskirts of Sheffield. The local area around the hotel is nothing special, but we had the car so didn't care.

The Sheffield Park is a large modern hotel that has obviously had a lot of resfurbishment investment in the recent past. Our room was spotlessly clean and well presented in an attractive modern decor. Large by UK standards too.

For our weekend stay in September, we paid just £65 per night for 2 nights which included breakfast and entry into Chatsworth House (20 minutes drive away) for 2 people - that really does take some beating for a 4-star hotel of this standard.

Dinner in the restaurant was a very pleasant experience with attentive service and high quality food presentation, if a little small on the portion size. A 2 or 3 course fixed price option was reasonably priced. We used the room service once during our stay and the breakfast arrived on time and still piping hot. Would definitely seek this hotel out again next time we are in the area.

Some serious flaws mar an otherwise attractive hotel

Stayed for a weekend following business in the area as a base for visiting the nearby Peak District. If it hadn't been for the extremely competitive rate (£65 per night incl breakfast and Chatsworth ticket ) I might have had a wobbly.

Hotel is on the outskirts of Sheffield so for my purposes well located. If you're going into central Sheffield it's a bit of a hike however. Rooms are good size with stylish (and rather gloomily lit) furnishings. Telly OK - not many channels no DVD or Sky or movie if you want a quiet night in as I did after 3 14 hour days.

The flaws were : noise. This is a hotel which caters to business do's (weekdays) and weddings. I suffered from both - more the wedding party - with the inevitable banging of doors and general rowdiness in the corridor and by the front entrance till 3am.

And a bizarre problem with damp. The bathrooms ( I had 2 rooms after being moved from one because the noise problem was so bad) reeked and the grout was black with mildew. However the bathrooms themselves were clean - just the (strong) unpleasant odour of decay.

It is a shame because the staff were very pleasant and helpful; the food was actually excellent (Thai curry one night; fish and chips the next). and reasonabl. Drinks are expensive however.

I probably woudn't return due to the noise problem - a hotel only really has to get 2 things right, cleanliness and quiet which is a shame as it is in other respects a good place. Advice: go during the week; ask for a room on the 3rd floor if they'll give it you. ..

OK but could do better

by TripAdvisor Member SparkyG

Stayed overnight for a Christmas Party, upgraded to an exec room for £25 extra.

The rooms are on the small side but well furnished and comfortable, nice White Company toiletries provided as well as bathrobes slippers cookies and fresh fruit.

We also had fresh milk in the fridge which was a nice touch.

The rooms are very dark, so if you are a lady you have to do hair and makeup in the bathroom which is a pain.

The food was pretty awful we had a bar lunch cottage pie, tasteless as it was. The Christmas dinner was pretty much a write off, very bland dry turkey over cooked veg, the service was poor too.

Room service breakfast was 25 minutes late and flat cold, my husband wanted brown toast for his breakfast it wasn't on the tray, after several calls and 25 minutes a slice of white appeared and some muffins.

I would stay at the hotel again maybe I just picked a bad day! The basics are all there they just need to put a bit more effort in providing better service.

Very good and comfortable

by TripAdvisor Member firtreecott

I usually stay in the centre of Sheffield at the boring and overpriced Ibis because I haven't found anything better at the price. This two day stay was booked for me and I have to say that everything was excellent, right from check-in, through to good beds and attentive service in the restaurant at breakfast, lunch and dinner. When I had a problem with my equipment in the conference room, the staff leapt to the rescue.
Checkout was faultless.
Taxi to/from the railway station in is the £9-11 range.
The bar prices are high, but the quality is good.
I will certainly stay here again, when I am next in the area.

Out of the way and overpriced

by TripAdvisor Member Carole17

Rooms have been recently refurbished and quite nice. The hotel is well out of the city but in pleasant enough surroundings. Restaurant was expensive and empty for dinner. Internet access very expensive.
Bit lacking in warmth and character.

Good value hotel on outskirts of Sheffield

by TripAdvisor Member LMC_77

We stayed here for one night on July 12th as we were in Sheffield for a cousin's wedding. I was pleasantly surprised by the hotel - they accomodated 11 of us checking in before midday with no quibbles. The room itself was reasonably spacious with a full-size bath in the bathroom. It was also blissfully quiet, even with the window open (our room faced away from the main road). the bed was very comfortable too.

The small leisure club I used on the Sunday morning was lovely with views over the small gardens - just a small pool with jacuzzi, sauna and steam room and a gym, but very clean and quiet.

The only downsides to this hotel are:

1) the price of breakfast (approx. £13 for a cooked breakfast) - we opted to meet family at the Forum on Devonshire Street in Sheffield City Centre - great brunch and MUCH cheaper!

2) The checkout procedure took a long time - only one person was on reception at 10.30am on a Sunday morning when about 6 or 7 people were trying to check out at the same time.

Overall though, a very positive experience.

Great for business

by TripAdvisor Member Tweetinat

I stayed here for two nights recently on business and was very pleasantly surprised. Having experienced this hotel previously as the Moat House I was a little apprehensive before arrival, but that changed as soon as I walked through the door and realised that it had undergone a massive refurbsihment programme. The rooms were clean and well appointed and the business facilities excellent. We had a few hiccups here and there, but they were dealt with professionally by the manager. Overall I would definitely book again.

Surprisingly good

by TripAdvisor Member greeny_4

good location for Sheffield, nice modern rooms, pleasant bar and restaurant excellent breakfast and quite cheap at 75 pounds. Would definately stay again.

Comments