Splash Landings Hotel

AltonTowers, Alton, ST10 4DB, United Kingdom

More about Splash Landings Hotel

Splash Landings - Avoid if you can

by TripAdvisor Member ANomad

We spent the weekend at Splash Landings - the hotel is really tacky to say the least. Its very noisy and dirty - the bedrooms are tiny and there is no air at all. Luckily we were given a fan. Our tiny room was a peace haven and the only place to relax! The only thing that is good about the hotel is that staff are very good and helpful but you are better off staying at Alton Towers hotel. the water park is very small and the breakfast area is so dirty and really needs updating. There is nowhere to sit with friends and relax and no outdoor area at all. Alton Towers hotel is better and the Secret Garden restaurant very good with childrens three course meals very good value. Ask for a table near the window and book the table early in peak season. The barbeque was outdoors and is also great - you can sit outside and enjoy the pleasant gardens and fountain.
If you are going to stay onsite - pay more and stay at Alton Towers - you will not regret it. Avoid Splash Landings like the plague!

Great Break no thanks to the hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member tyree

Alton towers is a great theme park. The qeues are usually worth it. Pay the extra and get yourselve a priority pass.
Found the Splash landings hotel tacky and the staff unhelpful. After you have paid a small fortune to stay in the place, the rooms are tiny and it costs almost as much to get into Cariba Creeka as it does the theme park! The water park was why we chose to stay there and assumed it was included in the room price.
You have tp walk miles in the park and there are never any toilets to be found. Take a packed lunch as the prices are ridiculous!

Have a good time and STAY AWAY from these hotels

by TripAdvisor Member Beechburn

We booked 2 rooms for 2 nights in Alton towers Hotel. On arrival we were told that they could not accomodate us in the Alton Towers Hotel and told us to make our way to the Splash Landings Hotel where we were given 1 room. No apologies and no offer to help move our baggage. Splash Landings had a very small room for 4 people and had a rather bad smell in the bedroom corridors. The best thing about Splash Landings is Carriba Creek - an excellent swimming/adventure park. The meal was so poor the first night we drove into Alton village and had a wonderful meal at the Talbot Inn (just by the bridge) - excellent service, excellent food and much cheaper than the hotels.

Take this advice -- The Theme Park is great fun - but stay in the village of Alton and none of the 2 park hotels - you will regret it if you do.

Great hotel - excellent facilities if staying with small children!

by TripAdvisor Member StephanieWestSussex

We (2 adults children aged 3 and 1) stayed at the splash landings hotel on the 7th June. We paid in the region of £170 for a one night stay which inclided breakfast, tickets for the theme and water park and a bit extra for balloons in the room). For this amount of money were were expecting a pretty high level of service etc and were not disappointed.

The service was excellent from the minute we checked in. As we had booked late our tickets and passes for the theme parks were waiting when we got to the hotel. We arrived well before check in and the staff had no problems with labelling and storing all of our bags which were taken to our room prior to us returning and they even found a fridge to keep the milk in that we had brought for the baby.

Throughout our stay all of the staff that we came in to contact with were cheeful, efficient and went out of their way to help. There is a lovely atmosphere in this hotel.

The room and bathroom were extremely clean and there are some nice touches - goody bags for the children, nice toiletries, (and nappy bags and nappy bin if travelling with a baby). The cot was of good standard. The theming in the room is lovely, my 3 year old loved the sea themed carpet. The beds are comfortable and the rooms are a good size. We had a view over the water park which was great too.

The hotel is themed throughout with water falls, ducks and the like, the children loved the lifts.

We ate dinner in the secret garden restaurant at the alton towers hotel which can be reached through a walkway indoors or by a short walk accross the grounds. Food was good (as always) service was quick and there is a good choice of food for children. There is entertainment in the evening for children and for adults. This is good and not overly obtrusive. The grounds of the hotels are beautiful and there is plently of room to relax. The hotel was fairly busy when we visited but at no point did it feel overcrowded.

Breakfast at splash landings was good - there is ample choice and the food was hot.

I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend this hotel to anyone with children - and we will be going back!

Excellent Stay!

We went to the Splash Landings Hotel: June 15 - June 17. We had an excellent time! The lifts played a theme tune- fun to dance to! 'The Shack' shop was well stocked with essentials (eg I forgot my shampoo and could buy some there!) if a little pricey. The check in was great- staff helpful...but check out the staff wasn't as helpful. The Cariba Creek was good- a little bit hot...especially since I waited out of the pool and the juice bar was quite expensive. The rooms were very colourful and the bathroom was clean and free Imperial Leather!!! The bath wasn't that big though. The actual double bed was comfy...but the bunkbeds were very creaky. The tv was nice- lots of help and SkyOne. The MaGarrita's bar was reasonable with great food- I recommend the Tex Mex platter...listed as a starter but enough for two to share as a meal! We never felt hungry enough for the buffet meal at Flambo's, but we had our (free) breakfast there. There was a nice selection of fried breakfasts, continental breakfast and cereals..yum! The only real problem I could say was lack of entertainment at the Hotel, the Cariba Creek closed at six and it was quite boring...even more so as there was only football on the tv. But, overall a fab time and I would def. go back!

i wont go there again even if you paid me.........

by TripAdvisor Member wonderwoman1

Just back for the splash landing hotel and what a dirty hotel it is. I was there with my husband and my two year old daughter. My first impression was that it reminded me of a hotel right out of the Flintstones. The corridor to the room had a terrible smell of sweat. The room itself wasnt much better. for starters there was a half a dozen hula hoops under the bunkbed, and when i removed our double bed to find my daughters dummy i found some maltesers a few jelly tots and an old plaster. the bathroom was worse....mildew around the bath taps and the sink taps. Mildew or mould on the bath mat and worse was the smell of urine which was due to an inch thick stain all around the toilet rimm. It was filthy. Plus our soap dispenser was empty from the day we arrived and was never refilled. We paid about £400 for 2 nights. Im writing to the hotel to complain but dont know what good that would do. id stay elsewhere next time.

Good fun but useful to know

by TripAdvisor Member mellymayc

I stayed with a friend in one of the standard rooms at Splash Landings for 2 nights. He graciously slept in the top bunk and i think he quite enjoyed it!!! No view from the room but then we didn't spend much time in the room. No real complaints about the room

Things to be aware of though. We had pre-booked everything but you still have to queue up to get your tickets to get into the park in the hotel. I also got told we could collect them at the park entrance which we did but even when I questioned why we had to queue for our tickets I got the classic 'we're nothing to do with the hotel' which is annoying as it seems all the same to me.

You have to book for the evening meal but the phone is always engaged. It does seem expensive but for the choice you get it is absolutely worth it and no one has to drive either. Service at the bar is slow but prices are reasonable (but I do live in London).

I would stay there again.

hotel great, but the food..... well

by TripAdvisor Member stiveslover

we stayed at splash landings. it was ok and the rooms were clean and tidy. it was my step sons birthday and we arranged for ballons and a cake for his room and when we opened the door there they were.the water area was good with lots of life guards around, and people going round cleaning all the time so we could not fault it. however, in the evening we went to the secret garden restaurant in the alton towers hotel. as it was my stepsons birthday we told the staff about it and was assured hat the staff would get the whole restuarants attention and get him to stand up while everyone sings happy birthday. due to a fire alarm and the hotel being evacuated earlier my wife was running slighty late. dispite telling the staff we were not ready to order until all 4 of us were sitting down, 5 memebers of staff came up to us in as many minutes asking us if we were ready to order. eventually we ordered and the starters we had were nothing to write home about. we then sat there for and hour after finishing the starters with no sign of the main courses. we spoke to the staff who ran off and came back saying it would be 2 minutes. they had obviously lost our order as other people who came in after us had there service done before us. when the food arrived it was terrible. we paid £18.00 for tough steak and the burger would have made macdonalds proud as it was dry and had no flavour. by the time all this was done there was barely anyone left in the resturant to sing happy birthday so we got up and walked out, when we complaind to the staff they did give us a 20% reduction on our bill which i thought was ok till i found out that the do that for annual pass holders to the park so it was not uncommon to reduce food bills. all in all very disapointing and we certainly wont eat there again

An enjoyable couple of days

by TripAdvisor Member rubarby

Myself, husband and 3 yr old daughter enjoyed our 2 night stay at this hotel. Yes, the rooms are small given the price that you pay, but we found them to be clean and adequate for our requirements. We enjoyed the waterpark. We only ate at the hotel for our inclusive breakfast, and this was enjoyable, but nothing special. I thought drinks prices were a little high (£8 for 2 small glasses of wine), but I think this is the case wherever you go. Overall we had a really good couple of days, but we always do enjoy our holidays wherever we go and don't let small minor issues ruin things for us! We will definately return again next year, but will probably stay ay the Alton Towers Hotel just to try out somewhere different. Also found all the staff to be helpful and friendly, especially in the Waterpark.

Sadly very expensive - mediocre rooms/food/decoration

by TripAdvisor Member foxysouthwest

How disappointing! We went for 1 night only (thankfully) at the end of Aug. 2006, 2 adults, 1 (big) 12 yr old and 1 10 yr old.
Rooms incredibly small, bunk beds seemed to have been squeezed in as an afterthought. Kids found them lumpy and uncomfortable.
Despite paying premium price of £245 (included Cariba Park entrance - great fun, see later), had grotty view over back of hotel with a drainage pipe running all night which kept us awake. Had to keep the windows open as room so hot - this was just about the worst August on record weather-wise, so hate to think how people fared in the very hot July. No air-con of course. Nice bathroom but again titchy.
Food mediocre. Really dont bother with the 'overpriced for what you get' £18.95 per head buffet. Only stayed as we wanted to go back to the water park in the evening (good move as much quieter). Considering the numbers catered for, the breakfast is not too bad (buffet again), lots of fresh fruit/juice/toast and cooked breakfast (under lights). Coffee out of a vending machine - didn't bother.
Water Park: good fun and worth getting in as it opens as much quieter. Not as big as we thought but the 'outside bit' was opened for a few hours around lunchtime (don't know if this opens all year round). Food a big drawback again. Officially, you are not supposed to take in your own. However, learn by our mistakes. There is one small 'cafe' (?) serving sandwiches, coke, type stuff. Only 2 servers, I queued for 30 minutes (joined the line at 1.20p.m) to have only 2 types of sandwiches left. I saw others with 'own food' , so I would do that next time. Oh! its quite expensive too of course.
SUGGESTION: Next time we will - book into the Travel lodge in Uttoxeter (could get 2 rooms there for approx. £90 at most) only 14 ish miles to the park. Alternatively, book in to B&B at Alton or Farley (the latter within walking distance of the gates). Get to the park early (check water park opening for outsiders as it differs from hotel guests), stay late (think ours was 8 p.m.) Alton towers itself - buy priority passes - you'll still be 'quids in' by staying elsewhere than at the hotels. Alton Towers itself has some great rides of course but it is BIG and you'll do alot of walking. BETTER STILL - (particular note if you're from the south), make the effort and go to Blackpool Pleasure Beach - many more rides, much closer together, much shorter queues, cleaner than I remembered, cheaper! Plus many 'other' things to do whilst you are there...We had a 2 day brilliant time (but thats another story..)

george & ceils in front of 'Air'george & ceils in front of 'Air'

george guards Cork Screwgeorge guards Cork Screw