Riverside Drive, Branston, Burton upon Trent, DE14 3EP, United Kingdom

Satisfaction Average

Travel Tips for Burton upon Trent

Branston Water Park

by Imbi

If you are travelling from Lichfield to Burton upon Trent, Branston Water Park is situated on Derby Street, Midland Grain Warehouse, It is spread on forty-acre lake and country park surrounded by woodland, wetland and wildflower meadow.

Vegemite or Marmite

by ATLC

"Place your bets here!"

The love and hate for Vegemite and Marmite is a long and often returning heated discussion on VT. Always quite fun!

Now Therese (thedouglas) and Lesley (Purpleshade) both mailed me a tube of Vegemite so I can finally taste the difference for myself and test it out on others.

Ingredients
Both are a concentrated yeast extract, rich in vitamin B. And that certainly is an indication of taste.

Both contain:
yeast extract, salt.

Marmite contains
vegetable extract and vitamin B1, B2 and B12, spices and celery extract

Vegemite contains
barley malt extract, colour and preservatives.

Difference in taste
I find Marmite to be a bit more outspoken in taste. Vegemite has a faint nauseous quality to the taste which I don't like. Probably a bit more yeasty than Marmite.

"Why here?"

A Wikipedia search gave me some background info on Marmite, which was or is produced here in Burton upon Trent.
Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite

Because I am from The Netherlands, I was interested to read that Marmite is owned by Unilever, originally a Dutch company but now a British one.

"The bet"

On the Misc Forum I placed the following posting:

Righto! I have here before me Marmite and Vegemite.

Now, I live in a country where Vegemite is not on sale anywhere. Marmite has a small following.

I will taste both and ask 10 of my friends, who do not eat either product on any regular basis, to taste too. Their preference will declare the winner: Vegemite or Marmite. My opinion will only be included if the outcome is 50/50.

So VT... place your bets here!
Rien ne va plus (end of bets) will be Sunday February 4th.*

so if you want to place your bet here, just add a comment at the bottom of this page and it will be counted in*

Is there a prize?
Nope. Unless someone thinks up a good one :-)

Comments