Best Western Stoke-on-Trent Moat House

Etruria Hall, Festival Way, Etruria, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, ST1 5BQ, United Kingdom

BEST WESTERN PLUS Stoke on Trent Moat House
Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Disappointed

Recently stayed at the Moat House from Friday 1st July to Monday 4th July in the Kingsley Suite, there were 2 adults and 2 children, first impression of the room was of disappointment. The room was huge but very very basic, there were 2 single beds and 1 double bed the type that are pulled from a wardrobe from the wall, there were huge gaps from the 'headboard' to the mattress as a result the pillows kept falling through.

The furniture was drab and outdated. For the size of the room the tv was tiny.

there was supposed to be a safe in the room but there wasn't, the room was clean though under the double bed the floor was very dusty, the living area was three chairs, this was the first suite we had ever booked and too be honest very disappointing.

Satff in the resturant were unhelpful and lacked motivation, the choice of food was disappointing. We had booked a dinner package and breakfast, the breakfasts were buffet style, food was ok and a good selection, shame about the dinner choice, this was limited to a seperate menu which was limited and by even more so when the continually ran out of food.

The food itself was very bland, tasteless and for a four star hotel we had tasted better from a high street cafe. We weregoing to order from there seperate menu and just pay for our food but as my 9 year old grandson said the food would still be prepared from the same kitchen and chef so we didn't bother.

Drinks were very expensive, bar/lounge area had no atmosphere.

The swimming pool was ok but limited in time we could spend in it with our grandchildren as no children were allowed in the pool after 8pm and as we were at Alton Towers during the day this was very restrictive for us.

Overall we had a good long weekend but were disappointed with the accomodation and are unlikely to stay again.

I had a Best Western loyalty card which I handed over at check-in as advised by the loyalty programme but I was immeadiately handed it back stating they did not require it, no point in having a loyalty card if it cannot be used.

Unique Quality: No outstanding characteristics but the pool was a bonus especially for the kids but a pity about the restricted use for kids.

Directions: We relied on a Sat Nav (thankfully).

More about Best Western Stoke-on-Trent Moat House

A friendly place to stay!

by TripAdvisor Member fredGlasgow

I recently travelled down from Glasgow with my family to stay at the moat house in stoke. We were looking for a place near Alton Towers that would accommodate all 5 of us. The lady who took my reservation over the phone was very helpful and offered us a really good package that included breakfast on both days and dinner on the first night. Many hotels do not cater for a large family, but I was able to book a room with a double bed and 2 singles and still had room for a cot aswell. The staff in all areas were pleasant and keen to help, and nothing seemed too much trouble. The food was excellent and the hotel is situated a short drive from Alton Towers and on the edge of a retail and entertainment park so theres plenty to do. Overall, we had a really great time; staff helpful, rooms large and well presented and a good location. We will definitely be going back!

moat house

by TripAdvisor Member dajo52

hotel was lovely, some staff ok others indifferent, service in restaurant was terrible (waited 45 mins for soup} food was poor to say the least, 4 guests fighting at 4:30 in the morning and security werent much good, stay away till they train the staff properly

Excellent Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Business11

Check in
I was a late arrival for the 1st night and so the night team checked me in. Very nice young gent on reception very polite and rather amusing. Asked all the usual questions, explained the hotel and seemed sincere.

Room
Very clean and spaceous. Really liked the "blackout blinds" as I was late arriving I stayed in bed until noon and you really can't tell what time it is because very little light gets through!
I was in a room facing the front of the building and having read previous reviews I was anxious about noise - from boy racers especially. I asked about this upon checking in and was told to ring down and the police would be informed. I didn't need to as it happens but was nice to know something would be done despite it being out of the hotels hands.

Bar
Had a meeting with a few colleagues around 2pm. Only 2 bar staff on duty and it was really busy. Apparently there was a major meeting in their conference centre. Still, the two ladies on duty coped and even gave us table service!
Went down to relax around 6pm. Bar quite busy and the staff were still doing table service. While this resulted in a few minutes more waiting I really didn't mind as it was all done very professionally. Beers were maybe a bit overpriced (I think it was £3.30 or so for a pint of Stella) but the overall quality was good.

Restaurant
Food was very nice but I thought, again, that it wasn't particularly good value for money.
Another thing I was anxious about was the quality of service in the restaurant. A few reviews here have been rather shameful.
Again though, I was pleasantly surprised. Food was prompt despite how busy they obviously were and the manager was even checking on tables!

Gym
Went to the pool for a soak and overall it was fine. No problems but nothing special either. The actual gym area was perhaps a bit too small. Staff were very friendly, laid back and made the effort to converse with guests.

Check Out
Very smooth and quick. Despite a few people waiting behind me the receptionists were still very friendly.

Very happy with my stay and would recommend the hotel for both business and pleasure.

A Great Alternative!

by TripAdvisor Member Historiana

I have tried several hotels in the Stoke-Alsager area and this is the best to date. Good size modern room, helpful staff and nice restaurant. Convenient to motorway with free parking. Convenient to the potteries. A cinema and 10 pin bowling next door if you get bored. Hotel charges £12 per day for Internet access.

Can't wait to Return!

by TripAdvisor Member kenny81

We travelled over to visit Alton Towers and got a Super deal, 2 night special which I extended to 3 and also upgraded to a Crown Executive Room.

Check In was smooth and hassle free with polite, friendly staff. Our room was superb, clean spacious and a lovely view over the gardens at the back. The bed was MASSIVE, it could have slept a family of 5! Lovely toiliteries and bottled water, chocolate and Pringles - nice touches.

We used the pool every day, its adequate although the jacuzzi was out of action for our visit. Sauna and steam room are superb to wind down after a day at Alton Towers during a monsoon!

We dined in the restaurant as part of our package, the service was good and with a smile and the food was satisfactory.

Check out was quick and hassle free - although do remember to lift a token for the car park if you are in a car - its really annoying having to walk all the way back when you arrive at your car and realise you forgot. But they are available in the Fitness Suite, at the Bar adn reception amongst other places.

Overall a Superb Hotel, worthy of 4 stars and I cant wait to get back!

Certainly not a 4* Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member tomg84

If you are staying here expecting 4* quality prepare to be dissappointed. This is an average 3* hotel.

The first problem we encounted was as we were trying to check-in they had no record of our reservation although we booked with best western directly and had a reference number!

Rooms are okay (We stayed in a standard double), with duvets which is always a plus. The air conditioning in our room was not working but since we aren't having summer in the UK this year it wasn't too bad. The kettle was broken but a call to reception and we had a replacement.

Parking was a breeze for most of our stay but one night they were holding a property auction at the hotel and we COULD NOT find a space at all. A talk to reception and we left it at the front of the hotel.

Breakfast was okay but the eggs were undercooked with runny whites, they even managed to mess up my partners poached eggs undercooked.

I wouldn't stay here again there are better hotels for a lot less money.

Not bad for Alton Towers

by TripAdvisor Member Standard-Brit

Staff very helpful.
rooms nice and spacious.
food in restaurant fine.
Make sure the air con works if it is warm - you won't want to keep the window open as the Schumacher wanabes at Waterworld next door will keep you awake with their suped-up 'my car sounds louder than yours' Novas - tossers!
Pity the jacuzzi is STILL out of service (one of the reasons we booked here was for the leisure facilities!)

Overall
Got a good 2 day summer break, but I certainty wouldn't pay full price for this hotel.

Great Hotel and handy for Alton Towers

by TripAdvisor Member bigpianist

We booked this hotel with another couple with the intention of using it as a stop off on our visit to Alton Towers. The hotel is around 35 minutes from the park and this is fairly close considering that the park is well out into the countryside. This is a large hotel with spacious public areas and a pool.

The rooms are modern spacious and well equiped. They also have air conditioning which is a bonus in the summer. Unfortunately the extraction did not work in our bathroom and a sign warned us to keep the door closed in case the steam set the fire alarm off !

There is a pool table and childrens play area (however the play area was closed due to 'health and safety' when we stayed).

The hotel is in a large retail park so there is access to many large stores, restaurants, a cinema, a bowling alley and a large indoor water park (bring your own towels), so plenty to do around the hotel. At night time boy racers charge around the retail park noisily. which may bother some, but I found quite amusing. I could not hear them from the hotel.

The breakfast in the hotel is buffet style but is of above average quality. The bar food is expensive but again of good quality. The service in the bar however, was very slow and the staff required prompting to clear plates away etc, so do not expect a quick meal there. We found a Toby Carvery a few yards from the hotel was better value for a quick meal.

The staff were pleasant and accommodating. There is a cash machine in the lobby. We had a great stay at this hotel and I would recommend it.

Horrific

by TripAdvisor Member ChrisPElkin

I stayed here my my girlfriend on 18th August 2007, hoping it would live up to the 4*'s it has been credited with - it did not, but it was not all the hotel's fault.

1. The toilet seat in the bathroom would not hold up by itself.

2. The room was next to a corridor door which everytime it was passed through, sounded like someone was knocking on the door. This seriously disrupted our sleep.

3. There was a drunken brawl outside our room at 5.45am.

4. The hotel made a mistake and called me at 5.45am and
asked me if my name was ****, who was obviously the nutcase staying opposite with his even more psychotic partner, who was adamant on making as much noise as possible and couldn't care a less about any other of the hotel guests.

5. There was crisp packets under the bed from previous occupants.

6. We ordered a snack for room service that we were told would take 20 mins, 50 mins later we rang and asked where it was and they seemed as if they had not had the order.

On the plus side, the platter for 2 we had was nice, we had a great time together, but I will never stay at that hotel again. I have stayed in many hotels all over the world and this is no way a 4* hotel.

Avoid, it's where the chavs of Stoke on Trent have wedding receptions.

gym

by TripAdvisor Member pukie

Agree with comments about staff. They need some customer service training and quickly!

Guests are the reason they have a job and not an inconvenience

Comments