North Stafford Hotel

Station Rd, Winton Square, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, ST4 2AE, United Kingdom
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 11% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

More about North Stafford Hotel

Shocker

by TripAdvisor Member AmandaJaneGlos

What a shocker. We had no room key and had to be let into the room each time we left.

Complaints to the management were just met with "you need to speak to the Boss lady , she ain't here until Monday".

I have written 3 letters of complaint. Received 1 reply thanking me for the stay. How they are in a business is a mystery.

Totally ruined our Weekend and Re-union Dinner that we attended.

TV Did not work and no batteries in remote even. Dirty and noisy.

Spot on

by TripAdvisor Member smhudd

I stayed here in December while attending a reunion and had no problems, all I needed was a bed for the night. It was clean, staff were polite and helpful. Booked over the internet and everything was smoothly taken care of, reasonable price including breakfast. No problems.

Dirty hotel - glass splinters in bedroom carpet

We stayed here for one night and that was enough. We requested a double room and got allocated a room with five single beds. After stepping out of the shower we had horror of seeing splintered glass in the carpet. The whole of the carpet in the room was very dirty and looked as though it had not been vacuumed for weeks. The receptionist was unable to offer an alternative room and 1 hour on from complaining no cleaner had arrived to vacuum the room. After complaining to the receptionist again on our way out, it was promised that the room would be cleaned by the time we returned. We returned to our room later only to find that they had vacuumed but only half of the room. The night manager was finally able to provide us with an alternative room at approx 3am. On check out the receptionist was again very unhelpful, we suspect she was use to complaints of this awful hotel.

Also the cleaners had put one of those awful plastic shower mats on the heated towel rail so the plastic would have been dripping on the bathroom floor if we had not of moved it.

Do not stay here it is was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

Not good enough at any price

We took advantage of the Alton Towers package which was the cheapest one of its kind for those who don't drive.

LOCATION:
This hotel was ideally located next to Stoke train station, and the bus stop to Alton Towers. However, remember the centre of Stoke-on-Trent is located in Hanley, a bus journey away.

ROOM:
The room in dire need of some TLC. The bathroom was old-fashioned, cold and dark. Handbasin was located seperatly in the room. The bed was lumpy and unconfortable. It was a bit noisy until the nearby nightclub close for the night.

RESTAURANT:
Despite being assured that no booking was necessary, we were declined service as there were already four tables in use (!), and about twenty empty. When we did get served, the main course and dessert were from a self-service buffet, this tasted like it had been cooked last week in a vat of salt. However, there is no where else to eat in the vacinity. Breakfast was self-service again, but decent.

BAR/LOUNGE:
When I walked into the bar the army of chavvy 16 year olds turned to look at me through the smoke. The barman was nowhere in sight. The music was incredibly loud. My girlfriend did not even feel confortable enough to go in to buy a drink. There were no hotel guests in the bar, only kids off the street with nowhere else to go. Several hotel guests had fled to the relative sanctuary of the lounge, which was better but needed up-dating.

STAFF:
The staff were generally young, untrained, and uninterested (although probably underpaid). If you have ever seen Faulty Towers...

We would never have stayed here if it wasn't for the Alton Towers deal, and never will again.

Good hotel but don't expect good restaurant service

by TripAdvisor Member jharman

If travelling by rail, the hotel is in a great location; walk out of the station, across the road, into the hotel, simple. As a hotel manager I was dubious about staying here due to the poor reviews thus far.

Check-In: Fairly welcoming, however staff were more concerned upselling the restaurant's special offer of an evening meal. No assistance offered with luggage, no offer of a newspaper, no offer of a wake-up call, no explanation of hotel's facilities ie whereabouts of bars.

Room: We stayed in room 111: An adequate room overlooking the front of the hotel (train station, main road). We did not experience any noises from either. Comfortable room, very hard bed, quite hot for most of the night. Great Jacuzzi bath (which leaked into the restaurant on the 2nd morning). Housekeeping need to pay more attention to dust in high places.

Breakfast: EAT OUT!!! As a former restaurant manager, and now hotel manager, I can offer an objective opinion. This restaurant needs a wake-up call. Upon entering the restaurant we were met by two uninterested individuals. We had to ask as to what the procedure was & found a dirty table to sit at ( no clean ones were obvious & we were not shown to a table ). The whole operation is buffet style (even tea/coffee/toast) & not one time did any member of staff come to our table. We decided on toast & coffee; the toast (soggy, cold) no need to say more. The coffee (In flasks, out for hours), we left before attempting the hot buffet (the chef came out wearing the filthiest whites I have ever seen) & grunted at all who passed. The staff were more interested in their mobile phones. Needless to say we ate out for dinner, there are some great Indian restaurants in Hanley town centre.

Check-Out: After being woken by families at 5.00am & then the fire alarm @ 7.30am, enough was enough. The receptionists wandering through the hotel with their breakfasts was enough especially as we were so hungry anyway. The Subway in Hanley town centre in excellent.

Overall: Great location, lacks any customer service, would be great as a room only hotel.

Would I stay again? If it wasn't for the crack-heads which were all around the hotel. Look out for the statue of J Wedgewood - When we stayed, he had a glass of what looked like Gin & Tonic in his hand, hardly a welcoming sight for visitors to the hotel.

Left without staying!

by TripAdvisor Member donzer

We booked this hotel on-line as the photos on their website looked great - but boy were we dissapointed and disgusted when we turned up.

We booked a superior double for 1 night and the room they gave us was unbelievably small and dark. We complained and they provided us with an 'upgrade' (if you can call it that) to their Ambassador Double Suite on the top floor. This was just as bad. It was cold as the heating wasn't working, had no hot water and again was very small and dark.

We complained again only to be told that there were no other rooms available - so we decided to leave and hunt for a room somewhere else. The duty manager was a disgrace he didn't know what was going on in the hotel.

Just don't stay here - it is expensive for what it is, disgusting, dingy and needing extensive refurbishment.

Worst Hotel I have ever stayed in.

Myself, my wife and two friends booked a two night stay at this hotel due to the Alton towers inclusive ticket offer. The problems started even before we arrived we had booked a room with a cot for our 6 month old baby. We E-mailed the hotel twice in the month before our arrival but received no reply. When we arrived the receptionist knew nothing about a cot and told us the person that does the e-mail was off with depression! A night manager obtained a cot but the room they allocated us was too small to put the cot up unless it was placed under the window!! He did move us to a much larger room in the end. Sadly except for the cleaner this chap was the last plesant person we were to meet in our whole stay.

Breakfast the next morning was as many of the other reviewers have said disgusting. The food was cold and stale the staff were surly and didn't even say good morning. Why it takes four waiters to watch us serve ourselves I can not understand. The second mornings breakfast I had cereal as I hoped they couldn't get that wrong. We sat at the same table as the day before and I was astounded to find the same cutlery from the day before now stuck to the saucers.

The first night stay was okay although our friends complained that their room was very cold. The scond night was dire. Our baby was awakened by lots of teenagers running around the hotel shouting and slamming doors about midnight. The teens in the room above must have objected to our baby crying for ten minutes as they then started ringing the phone in our room and banging on the floor. This noise went on until well after 3.00am. When we complained about the noise the next morning we where told other guests had complained and the night manager had spoken to the teens. This was blatently untrue as I had lain awake able to hear every conversation in the rooms around us until 3.00 am.

The best came when we went to get our inclusive Alton Towers tickets on the second morning and were told that you only get one ticket each no matter how many nights you stay. My wife complained and was basically told she had not read the web site correctly and no-one else had ever made that mistake. This was despite our two friends booking through the web site independently and apparently making exactly the same error. My wife had to complain for nearly an hour before they grudgingly agreed to sell us tickets for Alton Towers at a reduced rate. The general manager for the hotel would not talk to my wife and the reservations manager treated her as though she was stupid. Their website is very misleading if it is the case that you only get one ticket per booking not per night per stay.

We were also trapped by the strange barrier system on the car park. If you enter the car park at night you cannot get a ticket and without it you can't get out the next day! They did get a man with a spanner to release us eventually though.

In summary a trip that my wife had booked to celebrate my 40th birthday with family and friends was spoilt by staying at this hotel. As my wife said on leaving we will never ever stay in a Britannia Hotel again and anyone thinking of booking - BEWARE - Book elesewhere.

North Stafford 02/04/06

My boyfriend and I chose this hotel for its location- right opposite the railway station and bus stop for the alton towers express bus. After reading the reviews I was dreading staying in this hotel but found it to be far better than most of the reviews had described. Our room had been recently refurbished and was clean and also had a new jacuzzi bath. The only down side of the room being that it absolutely stunk of cigarette smoke and this was annoying after asking for a non-smoking room.
I thought the breakfast buffet had a good selection of food of reasonably good quality, just as I would expect for this type of hotel and price. True the breakfast staff werent the cheeriest but they didn't bother us. Also the reception staff were keen to offer advice on good restaurants in the area when we asked and gave us directions (a particularly good indian with huge portions is Sangam just 5 mins walk from the hotel.)
Regarding the hotel bar,we also walked in and then straight out again after looking at the price list( £3.50 for a pint) but again many hotel bars are overly priced.
Overall the hotel was reasonably good value for what we needed it for, a base for travelling to and from Alton Towers. It was clean, quiet and in an excellent location.

Awful, don't stay here......ever!

What can I say about this hotel apart from it was awful. The staff were in need of a makeover almost as much as the room we stayed in. Room 216, avoid it at all costs.

The room was damp and cold, the heating, if you can call it that, never seemed to come on and when it did was just warm. The curtains moved from the draft coming through windows which themselves needed not another coat of paint but were screaming out to be replaced. The bed had about as much bounce as concrete and had a damp and musty smell about it, thank god for the spare blanket to keep us warm during the night! I don't think the hotel has heard of fabric softner as the towels are a little on the rough side to say the least. The bathroom was the only part of the hotel with light and a fresh look about it.

Our room was not the only thing that was in need of heat, the breakfast was crying out for some too. True, there is a good range of food but it does seem to have been hanging around for a while, not what I would call fresh and don't expect a lightning service from the staff, you won't get it.

My advice, don't use the Alton Towers package. Book your tickets online in advance and book and nice friendly B & B, it works out much the same and does not leave you feeling like you have just been robbed. We have been going to Alton Towers for many years with friends and always used B & B's but this time we thought this deal was quite good, what a mistake! The words don't fix what is not broken springs to mind, we should have stayed with what we know to be a good thing.

lovely break

we stayed at this hotel for two nights while visiting alton towers and truly could not fault it. there was five of us sharing a family room and it was really spacious as my children are 16,15 and 11. The staff were all very friendly and helpful and we had a lovely time and wouldnt hesitate in going back there again.

B&B in Stoke on Trent

by Adelle123

Can anyone suggets a cheap and cheerful B&B or inexpensive hotel in Stoke? It would have to be a single room.
Thanks :)

RE: B&B in Stoke on Trent

by Adelle123

I forgot to mention that close to train station & shopping is essential. Thanks!

Re: B&B in Stoke on Trent

by SLK

Depends on your budget. Well the North Stafford Hotel is opposite the train station.

If you want to be near the shops you need to head towards Hanley or Newcastle & the Quality Inn is in Hanley
The Borough Arms is in Newcastle.
Sorry I can't advise on B&B's