Belstead Road, Ipswich, East Anglia, IP2 9HB, United Kingdom

Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• ratherton's Profile Photo

Belstead Brook Manor

I've been here a couple of times for weddings. The garden setting is wonderful in the summer and the rooms, although not the biggest, are comfortable.

There is a leisure club on-site but last time I didn't have time to use the facilities.

Prices are a little expensive but if you are at a wedding reception, it's nice not to worry about getting a taxi anywhere else.

Directions: From the junction of the A12/A14, drive towards Ipswich and follow the brown tourist signs towards Belstead Brook

More about Belstead Brook Hotel

Need to raise their game - quite poor on many fronts

by TripAdvisor Member bristol_traveller_06

I wasn't too impressed with Belstead brook and I think they need to pull their socks up to compete with the other options out there. I was expecting a lot from this hotel on our recent holiday as it was the most expensive.

However there were a number of things from minor to serious that really puts me off this place and I certainly would have to think very hard before staying there again.

Firstly the check-in was less than friendly. We arrived at 12:45 and said that we're a little early, and if the room isn't ready can we store our bags. This was replied to with "Check-in isn't until 2pm" which really we knew by saying "we're a little early". Luckily another lady at the counter said the room was ready and we were able to check in. The little chalets are nice, though a tad dated. There is a very limited TV selection but the beds are quite nice.

The sign in the reception area said that the restaurant opens at 6:30pm, however trying to book for this time proved fruitless and they said the earliest time that was available was 7pm. However arriving at 7pm to be seated I noticed the reservations book simply had all the slots before 7pm crossed out, so really the restaurant doesn't open at 6:30pm so I don't know why they say it does. By 7:10pm no one had appeared to seat us so I rang the reception on their own phone and they finally sent someone around who seated us. The meal service was initially slow but did speed up to quite a good pace. The food was absolutely delicious and so I was quite pleased about that.

However problems ensued later with the shower. My partner found it to be luke warm and with little pressure at best. When I used it in the morning it was luke warm for abut 3 minutes and then went ice cold. It has been a very long time since I can recall having to have a cold shower, let alone in a £120 a night hotel!!!

Also there was a Wedding on and it seemed that these guests were prioritised over normal hotel guests. I suppose thats reasonable, but it does make you feel like a bit of a second class citizen and I would have preferred to have known this before hand.

Parking is fairly good and overall it wasn't exactly a nightmare, but I felt the price was just a tad steep for whats being offered, particularly when they also charge for the morning paper without telling you this when its offered!

Take heed of the reviews and stay at home

by TripAdvisor Member Marziechill

We booked a three night stay at Belstead Brook and only stayed for one and that was too long. The first thing that met us was the smell at reception, a damp, direty smell which got worse as we walked down the corridore to our room. The room looked nice on first viewing in the dim lighting but once all the lights were on it was a different story. There were cobwebs in the corners and on the pelmets, and whilst my husband swatted these with a towel I cleaned the bathroom (the toilet had hair on the seat when I lifted the lid) and around the taps on the basin had not been cleaned, the bath which has once been a jacuzzi had no surface at all left and was a dirty gray/cream colour and obviously very unhygienic because of the worn surface. The wallpaper was peeling and the wooden bath panel was coming away from the bath where it had swelled from being constantly wet. We had paid for an upgraded room but I was sure they had made a mistake and given us a standard room. I was, alas, wrong and this was indeed their 'executive' room standard. Dinner was not much better than the room, a play on everything decorated with a balsamic reduction!! Not the best with overcooked salmon parcel and the duck my husband had definitely dies of old age! The staff were very sweet and friendly though and we were so tired that we thought we could hack it until breakfast the next morning. We complained at reception and were offered an upgraded room but for an extra £50 per night but we declined this.

Breakfast was supermarket value £1.99 standard. I could go on but it makes me sad that I actually paid for the experience. My husband was very upset as it was meant to be a special weekend away for both of us. I spoke to the duty manager and she agreed with all the faults I pointed out in the room and explained that they had started refurbishing the hotel. She was very helpful but we really couldn't have stayed another night. They took the price of the room upgrade and a glass of wine off our bill but we paid for the rest. £87 wasted, but thestaff were friendly and nice and obviously have to put up with a lot of complaints so it can't be easy for them. I should point out that we had stayed at Belstead Brook on several occasions some years ago when it was still privately owned and had a wonderful time and this was why we returned.

Just right for us!

by TripAdvisor Member traceywFrance

My sister and I were visiting our mum in nearby Woodbridge and had stayed at this hotel the previous time - two years ago. This time, on checking the hotel's website, we booked a 'Winter Madness' deal including evening meal for £65, which was super value.

The hotel was much the same as two years ago. They had provisionally booked us in for dinner at 7.15pm but, although reception failed to make the change to 9pm (and we were over 5 minutes late for that), we were received well by the restaurant staff. Included in the offer was £21 each to spend on dinner. We ate from the £21 set menu which has a good choice over three courses with coffee included so we only paid for wine.

The only slight disappointment was breakfast. We arrived at 8am and everything looked and tasted like it had been sitting there for hours.

Overall, great value for the money we paid and we would most certainly
return.

Great break

by TripAdvisor Member boaters

We are a mature couple and booked in for a birthday break and despite reservations about some of the reports on this site Agree that there are areas that are dated but we saw the results of some of the work being done at present. and they are trying hard. .Every thing from our arrival to departure in our opinion made our stay a complete pleasure.The service and food was very good and relaxing .Good quality breakfast and bar service at a resoanable price.It was my birthday whilst there and the several touches made by the staff were much apreciated.The pool with fresh towels to use and leisure facilities were .first class and at no extra charge .We booked a two night deal with dbb and feel we had good value for money,so much so that we shall book their Canterrbury hotel next month.

A Good Weekend Away

by TripAdvisor Member Mac2623

We have stayed at this hotel on many occasions, we agree that over the years it has gone downhill, but on our most recent visit you can see that they are making the effort to improve, with respect to decor etc. The staff cannot be faulted, although most being of foreign decent! We were upgraded to one of the garden rooms, which although slightly bigger, it was nice and quiet. We booked the night as part of a deal offered by a national newspaper, £88 for 2, including dinner bed & breakfast. We didn't eat in the hotel, we have had poor meals in the past and prefer eating somewhere with a bit more atmosphere, so we took a taxi into town. Loads of eating places at Cardinal Park. The breakfast was excellent, certainly not as previously reported, fried food cooked on request. So if you feel you need a break and don't want to spend too much, try the Belsted, at least the pool is heated

quirky hotel, great staff

by TripAdvisor Member eles_27

I have stayed at this hotel many times whilst on business and enjoyed each stay thoroughly. The staff are excellent, very helpful and friendly- especially the breakfast staff. The rooms were of a good standard and clean although a couple of them I stayed would have benefited from updating. The pool and gym were also of a good standard. The giant outdoor chess board is a great extra tough and lots of fun in the dark!

Warm & Friendly

by TripAdvisor Member parall

From the moment of our arrival,my partner & i were made to feel welcomed & valued.Our bungalow accommadation was superb with cleaniness beyond expectations.The evening meals were delicious and obviously all freshly prepared.Our only criticism would be that the drinks were very pricey.Buffet style breakfast was extremely plentiful with all tastes catered for.Overall all staff in the hotel were fantastic.

Eat in Ipswich!

by TripAdvisor Member maggiet26

We booked a short break after seeing a Swallow leaflet at another hotel - 3 nights dinner, bed and breakfast at £99 per person. It sounded too good to be true! The holel was not easy to find - poorly signed and concealed in the middle of a sprawling housing estate some distance from the centre of Ipswich. The hotel, room, bed and breakfast were excellent value - and the decor was nowhere near as worn as some previous reviews had suggested. However, our evening meal was just about 'OK' on the first night and we chose to spend a lot more money on really excellent meals at two other Ipswich restaurants (The Galley and Morgans) on our second and third nights. We'd go to this hotel again, but only on a 'bed and breakfast' deal.

Not quite getting there

by TripAdvisor Member thebluebeard

Just had a one night DBB deal at the Belstead Brook. Situated in a very pleasent large period house and gardens.

Allocated a massive 'garden' room, with french doors onto a pleasent out door space.

Room furnishings tended to make the room gloomy and dull, requiring the light on even in the daytime. The room would benefit from redecoration in a brighter more modern theme. Bathroom was 'shabby', peeling wallpaper, grubby bath edges and well overdue for redecoration. Shower pressure minimal. Dining room in oldest part of the building (17th century part of the house) with impressive carvings and pleasent atmosphere. Food was a little designer and pretentious. Staff were a little distant and had to be reminded about some parts of the order not having been presented. Would stay again from choise and find it difficult to recommend to others. Score 5/10

Comments