High Street, Tuddenham, Newmarket, IP28 6SQ, United Kingdom
Priceline.com Booking.com eDreams

More about Tuddenham Mill

Beautiful for a romantic weekend

by TripAdvisor Member olimar

My wife and I stayed at Tuddenham Mill for a romantic weekend in February. We arrived on the Friday night and were shown up to the Mill Room - WOW!!! It was a gorgeous room - big, beautifully decorated. I loved the Bose stereo and the Loewe TV, my wife loved the Jo Malone scented pillows and the bath in the living area, we both enjoyed the free fruit juice, wine and fudge.

There is no doubt that it is an expensive experience, but if you are looking for a hotel where you spend some time in your room this place is fantastic.

All the basics are well covered here too - shower is fabulous, bed is big and comfortable, breakfast was one of the best I ever had and so big that I didn't need lunch and staff were really friendly and helpful

My one complaint is the restaurant. We had dinner on the saturday night and given that all the material in the hotel talk up the chef, the food in the restaurant was awful. The menu, on paper, sounded really interesting. I'm not sure it all worked, some of it I think was just being too complicated, but that is ok. Where my problem is with it was that it was really badly cooked - the pork was really dry and the puddings were piping hot from the microwave - for £20 a head that would be fine but they are charging premium prices for poor quality cuisine.

Having said that, as I have said above, breakfast was fantastic - the best cooked breakfast I've ever had and the best porridge

I would definately recommend staying at Tuddenham Mill - staying in your room, making the most of a glorious place, but if I went back I would be looking for a pub or restaurant nearby for saturday night

Stylish romantic getaway - highly recommended

by TripAdvisor Member IanBoichat

When my brother and his wife kindly offered to look after our daughter for a couple of days we wanted to make the most of our chance for a romantic break so after a little research we ended up booking a couple of nights at the Tuddenham Mill a converted Mill near Newmarket.

We had originally booked a mill room but on arrival we were offered a free upgrade to one of their suites, which was a pleasant surprise. (The Mill room was lovely - but we took them up on the upgrade!)

Not as much character in the suite (they are actually new chalet style blocks in the grounds) but very stylishly done, the remote control real flame fire was a nice touch, as was the feature "egg" bath in the middle of the room.

Lots of other nice touches, Jo Malone scented pillows each night, fresh juice in the fridge and freshly made cookies/fudge with the coffee.

The food in the restaurant was also excellent and the staff were friendly and efficient.

Of course none of this comes cheap, I notice some other reviews think it's over priced and it's true we could have had a week abroad for the price of our 2 day stay but it was a lovely escape and felt longer!

Fabulous.... when can I go back.....?!

by TripAdvisor Member CatSom

We booked a loft suite at Tuddenham Mill for a weekend break after our wedding in December. We were a little apprehensive at first... as it is quite expensive (we paid £345 a night) and the reviews on here are a little mixed. However we stuck with our booking and kept our fingers crossed.
We found the hotel easily and there is plenty of parking. Check in was good - friendly, professional, quite laid back. We were shown to our room..... in a 'barn' seperate from the main hotel building. The room was stunning.... just what we wanted. Fabulous comfy bed, bose sound system (I want one now!), huge egg bath in living area, Jo Malone toiletries, fluffy towels, telescope, massive bean bag...... FANTASTIC! There was also complimentary orange juice, fudge and flapjack, bottled water, port.... It was everything we had hoped for.
Dinner in the main restaurant (don't worry they provide umbrellas for dashing back and forth to main hotel!) was amazing. We do enjoy eating out and have eaten in many beautiful restaurants over the years but this was right up there with the best of them. Again service was very good and we received complimentary glassess of champagne to celebrate our wedding. For the standard of the food I really didn't mind paying the price.... about £100 for 2 (with wine, 3 courses etc...). The duck starter was super and I loved the steak and the cod mains.
We thought dinner was fab but breakfast was just as good. A good selection .... the yoghurt and flapjack was yummy.... as was the cooked breakfast. My husband had the breakfast calzone which he loved.
During our stay we visited Cambridge.... about 25 mins away in car. Our only little problem with the hotel was that the fire alarm went of at 4 o'clock in the morning! We had to leave our rooms (wrapped in the amazing hotel dressing gowns of course) and wait outside for the alarm to be reset. The hotel was very apologetic in the morning..... and it was just one of those things.
Overall Tuddenham Mill is amazing..... we will definitely be going back! If you want a traditionally plush country house hotel complete with floral bedspreads and four poster beds then this isn't the hotel for you. However if you want a modern, chic, laid back weekend away with amazing food book it now!

Impressive venue and food with only small glitches

by TripAdvisor Member Noo36

We stayed at the Mill as a short romantic break while my parents took care of our young daughter. We had booked a loft suite which was very impressive. Good points - the room was large, bed very comfortable, decor was modern, amenities excellent (sloe gin, fresh orange juice, complimentary water and wine, plentiful Jo Malone toiletries which we were invited to take with us on departure). The huge bath was lovely, but so was the impressively large separate shower. Despite having a big terrace the room felt very private and quiet.
While the room was beautiful, is was not without its issues. The main problem seems to be one of maintenance. There were areas where the paint / plasterwork was bubbling and coming away from the wall and had not been fixed. The shower was blocked with limescale. The toilet roll holder was coming off the wall, as was one of the coat hooks. The vanity unit which the sinks sat on were badly marked. The painted white wooden floor was also badly marked which unfortunately for them made it look as if it had not been cleaned very well. None of this spoilt our holiday, but for the price of the room (£350 per night and over) we would expect better attention to detail.
Our experience in the restaurant was consistently excellent. The menu is unusual and inventive, which might not be to some people's taste, but we had two wonderful evening meals there and would not hesitate to recommend it for quality of food. Our waitress was great - friendly and knowledgeable and just attentive enough without imposing. (Her name was Pip and should be commended).
Breakfasts which we took in our room were also very good.
We did not experience any problems with the staff who by and large were friendly and helpful. Some of them are very young and could do with more experience perhaps ( one morning as our 'do not disturb ' sign was on our newspaper was left outside our room in the rain and was mulch by the time we got it). But there were no huge problems.
On checkout, we were given a pot of home made jam and some nibbles for our journey (biscuits and home made fudge) which we thought was a lovely touch and left us with positive thoughts about the place as we drove away.
We really enjoyed out stay at Tuddenham Mill despite the small issues. We'd hope that these were teething problems which they will, with time, iron out, especially if they want to continue charging what are premium rates for food and accomodation.
In the future it would be great to see a spa / pool and then you really would feel as if you were getting value for money.

Wonderful room, wonderful food!

by TripAdvisor Member k-loy

We have just got back from a romantic stay at Tuddenham Mill and were more than delighted with our stay. Prices were of a London standard, but so was the quality. We stayed in a Water Meadow room, and I must say, the website pictures don't do the rooms justice! We've stayed in top hotels all over the world, and this rated with the best of them, large room, huge bed, great appliances, complementary sloe gin, orange juice and water, Jo Malone toiletries, music left playing for us on a Bose stereo and a small (but perfectly formed!) private terrace. There wasn't much to do in the immediate area, but Cambridge was a 20 min drive away and we had a gorgeous day punting round 'the Backs'.

The menu was varied and beautifully presented. I'm not sure where they source their crab claws, but they must come from a freakishly large species of crab! They were delicious! As was the 'Memories of the Fairground' desert, which came complete with candy floss and miniature toffee apples! The wine was delicious and very reasonably priced. Breakfast the following morning was huge (we didn't need to eat again all day!), but I agree with other reviews that the menu could provide a little more detail.

My only slight niggle was the service (and by slight, I mean just that). I think the staff did their best, but they are all young and so possibly aren't aware of the level of service expected when paying these sorts of prices. When it came to having a shower, we realised that we hadn't been left any toiletries other than soap, and rather than bring over all the toiletries we were promised, the member of staff just brought over some shower gel (surely some shampoo wouldn't go amiss?) and there was just something missing from the dinner & bar service (we had to listen to the bar staff talking about going away on holiday and how much they couldn't wait to be off - not really conversation that we needed to be competing against!). Perhaps it would be wise to have a member of staff with a little more experience on-site to oversee this sort of thing?

However, it certainly wasn't the case that this small glitch ruined our stay. Attention to detail in the rooms and the menu more than made up for this slight oversight and I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone needing a couple of nights r&r!

Great rooms, tranquil experience

by TripAdvisor Member Izzy28

Have just returned from 3 nights at the mill and am considering rebooking. I am one of the most hard to please travellers and even I couldn't find anything wrong with the room. Crisp, clear lines and very modern. I had taken my dog with me and the room was cleaned throughly each day. However, I do agree with reviewers who made comment on the bathroom but overall, this is a little niggle comapred to what is lovely accomodation.

The staff were friendly and helpful, with one exception. Food in the restaurant is ok, some dishes have too many flavours, are pretentious and quite badly cooked but if you choose well then you will be delighted.

The management were there every day but one and on that day there was a noticeable decline in standards which may account for some of the less favourable comments on here.

Overall, though it is a relaxing and pleasant place to stay and if you aren't prepared to pay the price stop moaning and go somewhere else.

wonderful relaxation

by TripAdvisor Member lathom

Arrived at Tuddenham after a long journey down from Manchester. Hotel staff were very friendly and attentive. We relaxed in the bar with loads of free magazines whilst we waited for our room to be finished. The room was fantastic. A loft suit with a very comfy bed, lovely fire, huge bath and loads of Jo Malone toiletries. FAB!!
We had a small balcony where we sat all afternoon in the sun reading and drinking. It is very quiet. Not much to do but there is a free mini bar!! We used the telescope to spot deer and herons. Food in the bar or restaurant is excellent. starters around £7 - £12. Mains £10 - £20. Good choice of wines. Very good service. Breakfast is also excellent, both cereals, croissants and cooked breakfast.
There was not much to do outside of the hotel, but we just needed a break from work, so stocked up on DVD"s from home and relaxed for two days. If it wasn't s far to travel i would definitely go again.

The rooms are lovely....but the staff need training

by TripAdvisor Member eviep

This hotel has beautiful rooms, really modern and stylish. The hotel has some lovely touches, the rooms are freshened every evening and music put on while you're out, there's fresh orange juice and sloe gin etc in the rooms, it's bliss! The toiletries are gorgeous and the baths are massive. Cannot and wouldn't want to fault the rooms.

I did enjoy the food but the thing that spoilt it for me was the staff. They really are trying hard and seem lovely but are very young and from the looks of it, seem to be more of a standard you'd expect in a chain restaurant, not an expensive hotel. For instance, our Sunday lunch was brought to the wrong table. That table eventually got the waitress's attention and she brought the food to us (by now it was luke warm), apologising and kindly explaining that they hadn't touched it and that the chef would kill her if she brought it back in the kitchen. We had booked dinner on Monday night but still got rung on Monday asking if we wanted dinner in the restaurant. During that meal, we ordered two glasses of wine with our main course which didn't arrive, we asked again and they didn't arrive and on the third time of asking, they eventually turned up as we were both finishing our last mouthfuls (not great when you've chosen your wine to go with your meal!!). Also, the staff didn't seem to have responsibility for tables so you would end up being asked the same questions by different people ie would you like dessert (when you've explained twice already that you want a break between courses).

Lovely hotel, but the amount that you pay means you should get better service.......

Fantastic Food

by TripAdvisor Member ourview

Stayed at the mill on Monday night. Our millstream room was perfect - all the right touches.

Bathroom and bedroom very much to our taste.

If I had to be really picky I would have liked more space around the basin.

The restaurant was just fantastic and I have eaten in some of the worlds best.

Every member of staff we came into contact with were excellent.

We did stay on a special offer but would have been happy to pay going rate.

Lovely stay but

by TripAdvisor Member talkative

We loved our brief stay at the Mill.

Our room, a loft, was perfect - good bed, great couch, nice toiletries, robe etc. The complimentary water, juice, tea & coffee were plentiful & good quality - fresh milk a bonus.

The grounds are lovely. The restaurant is good.

It's easy to get to from London & staff were pleasant.

Our only gripe was that the hotel was not equipped to deal with the heat & humidity. There was a fan in our room but until 2 or so in the morning it just circulated the warm air. But worse was the lack of any cooling in the dining room. Because it's an old mill there was no flow through of air in the room at all & no one thought to put even one fan in the room.

It was hot - uncomfortable & it meant that you really didn't feel like eating or appreciating the food.

We will go back but not in june-august. It's a pity because we really think it's a lovely spot.

Cathedral in ElyCathedral in Ely