Off A12, Woodbridge, IP13 6NU, United Kingdom

Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

• MikeBird's Profile Photo

Treat yourself in Elizabethan luxury

We are not used to staying in hotels quite so upmarket as this but for once we thought we'd deserved it.
    Seckford Hall is a short drive out of Woodbridge, just off the A12. Set in its own extensive grounds there is a duck pond at the bottom of the main garden and lawns with borders to the side.
    The swimming pool and small gym is in a separate, renovated old Tithe Barn. It also has a jacuzzi. The changing facilities were perfectly adequate and the pool didnt seem to be heavily used.

The main hotel itself dates back to the 15th century. Thomas Seckford was the map maker to Queen Elizabeth I and was clearly a man of importance around Suffolk judging by the number of things in Woodbridge named after him.

There is a lovely lounge called the Main Hall which has oak panels on the walls and a huge fireplace. We were served tea and cakes in there during the afternoon. Our room was described as 'standard' but because it was on the second floor it was basically a converted attic. If anything this added to the atmosphere because we had sloping ceilings with wooden beams giving it lots of character. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom very well equipped.

The dinner in the Dining room was very enjoyable. I thought the menu reasonably extensive and with a good choice for vegetarians as well. We had the chance to spend up to £30 each as part of the package we were on. Neither of us spent this amount on supper but, be warned, we did think the wine would be included within the £30 and we found at the end that it wasn't.

All in all the two nights, three days we had were a really enjoyable break, not cheap, but we didnt regret spending the extra at all.

Unique Quality: This place just oozes history. You can buy a booklet from reception that provides more details about the Hall's chequered past.

Directions: Travelling north on the A12 there is a signed turn off to the Hotel. From the other direction I'd recommend going down to the bottom of the road to the next roundabout and coming back on the northbound carriageway rather than attempting to turn right.

More about Seckford Hall

Woodbridge: perfect for a short break in Suffolk

by MikeBird

"How to relax and do lots"

For my wife's birthday treat and to celebrate her promotion I decided we should go away for a few days. We'd asked our two remaining teenage children if they wanted to come with us and both said "No - they were busy" so I booked up the most expensive place I could find and really pushed the boat out. We did all of the things that we enjoy most and that they would not have liked. Things like tracking down my great Uncle's old blacksmith's forge, birdwatching, riverside walks and visiting the burial sites of ancient East Anglians. Meanwhile back at home my son continued to play on computer games and my daughter went to sleepovers. I think I know who had more fun! Luckily we were not confronted with too much mess when we returned and so we could be tempted to do this sort of thing again.........

Visit my tips below to find out more about the places we visited and the things we did.

"Seckford Hall Hotel"

We stayed at the Seckford Hall Hotel and found that it's worth visiting even if only for a cup of tea. Dating back to Elizabethan times (that's the first Queen Elizabeth) there are interesting paintings and Tudor decor.

"River Deben landscapes"

The riverside walk is lovely when the sun is shining.

Comments