Petworth Road, Haslemere, Surrey GU27
Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
Travelocity Booking.com Tingo.com

More about Lythe Hill Hotel

Lythe Hill goes down hill !!

by TripAdvisor Member JENNYBABE

LYTHE HILL GONE DOWN HILL !

I have stayed at the hotel before and the food is excellent as is the service but I had a few disappointments:

I arrived late afternoon and hadn’t had any lunch so really needed a snack. I went to the bar but was told they don’t have any bar snacks, not even crisps or peanuts. Also they no longer have biscuits on the in room tea tray.

My room was one of the newly refurbished and although the rooms are greatly improved there is still no air conditioning and they have the warmest duvets on the bed, so be prepared to have a bad nights sleep if you stay on a mild evening. Also the pillows are the worst I have ever come across and way to soft. I woke up with a very sore neck!! Another annoying thing is the lack of drawer space. There is a small wardrobe but no drawers.

The bar has been refurbished but it so modern that it has just lost it’s quaintness and charm. It was empty and had no atmosphere so perhaps other residents agreed with me. The breakfast room has lots of natural light but again a rather too modern feel. Overall, the hotel now has a real mix of styles which I don’t believe work as it has lost its identity.

I wanted to spend a full day at the spa, but it was very humid sitting round the pool. It is very stuffy and they don’t open any doors in order to let fresh air in. Another big negative was that you can only purchase drinks in the spa area and NO food is available. I was told that I would have to go to the brasserie if I wanted any food. Well, we wanted to spend the whole day in the spa and not have to go and get changed, leave the spa and then come back!!!!. Come late afternoon I was starving but they could not even offer me a biscuit with my cup of tea.

Overall the hotel has a lot going for it but I think it is now lacking in charm and there is not the same attention to detail. There is too much emphasis on refurbishment and not on what customers want!!!

PLEASE LYTHE HILL PUT IN AIR CONDITIONING!

Food was dreadful-came back with food poisoning

by TripAdvisor Member ladyvalli

My husband and I stayed at the Lythe Hill last august for our 45th wedding anniversary. We were on half board. Our room had a politicians name whom I have forgotten and although smallish was comfortable and pleasant. However the bathroom was narrow at one end as the wall came in and made it half the width and you needed to be doublejointed to get in and out of the bath. That apart no problems with the room. Breakfast was fine and the spa and the two treatments we had were gorgeous though I felt the treatments were rushed (possibly because they came in with the price). The food in the Auberge was awful. The service generally was good and everyone was pleasant but the cold starters were gross, the mains were awful and the desserts the only thing worth having if at all. Such a shame as everything else was lovely and comfortable. The last night there I changed my usual course(not much choice) to the "ham hock" and did not like it much as it had foie gras or something in the middle. We left next morning and on the drive back to Cornwall I was SO SO sick. My husband was fine and as the ham was the only thing I had eated differently that had to be the case. When I did get home, with my husband driving over the speed limit to get me there, I was immediately hospitalised and was very ill for a week. Nothing else could have caused it according to my doctor, but food. So be warned. Book bed and breakfast and drive into Haselemere (you could walk I guess) for the main meal. I would go again but just the thought of how I felt prevents me even contemplating it. A shame as it was very pretty, lovely grounds and rooms (even though ours was a bit small) and staff also. Wake up Lythe Hill. Do something about the food please.

Don't expect good food or service

by TripAdvisor Member chriscam

The Lythe Hill Hotelis in a very pretty location with easy walking paths which are reached directly from the grounds. The spa has a good sized pool and gym and overall the hotel provides every opportunity for an enjoyable break. What a pity then that the food and service are so poor. At times it felt like being in a set for Faulty Towers. To deal with the restaurant first.,named Auberge de France It had a faded gloomy feel and felt as if it was stuck in a previous century. The food was cold, either under/over cooked and worst of all tasteless It is pretencious in the extreme and we had the dubious pleasure of being entertained by either the resident piano player or far too loud elevator music. The service was chaotic at times,and no time was given between courses. It makes it hard to know how the food can have become so cold ! The more informal restaurant was inexplicably closed on Sunday so we are unable to commebut if breakfast is anything to go by then we doubt if it would be any better.

Great past, disappointing present!

by TripAdvisor Member JonAM

We stayed in the Tudor building in a suite. The building is fascinating - five-star history - but I can't say that the hotel matched it. The room was a good size, actually a small but usable lounge area with a narrow 'corridor' to the bedroom, with bathroom off to one side. Iron/board in the cramped cupboards in the 'corridor'.
Very comfortable, large soft-ish bed but road noise was a nuisance (historic building = no double-glazing!). Fabulous views away from the front road. Biggest problem was the heat; even with windows open (+road noise) the room was unpleasantly hot.

Bathroom space a little pokey and surprisingly basic but a good-sized bath; plain white, no style or attempt at 'decor' or fittings, minimal shelf space; only a hand-held shower attachment but good hot water flow etc. Toiletries were basics too. To pay £220 pn and not get bathrobes was unbelievable!
Tea/coffee tray; again, vey basic.
We only had breakfast - and wished we hadn't bothered. Slow service, scruffy menu cards, lukewarm food (despite the room being almost empty).
The spa area looked good and rooms in the other building (newer and refurbished early-2007) might be a better deal. However, friends in there were also too hot at night.
Overall, a great setting and the potential for a great hotel but no effort for the details that really make a hotel experience special.

Friendly Retreat

by TripAdvisor Member markiemarc

Booked this hotel at the last minute, and it surpassed expectations.

The hotel has recently undergone a substantial refurbishment and the Brassiere restaurant has just opened. The hotel is a well conceived mix of very old, the restaurant dates back 700 years and contemporary. The first thing that struck us about the hotel was the friendly and extremely helpful staff. The receptionist was particularly welcoming and showed us personally to our room. The restaurant manager offered to give us a guided tour and gave us the potted history of the hotel and the refurbishment and seemed genuinely proud to work there. Even the maids went to open doors and wish us a pleasant day. All in all not the service you very often receive.

We booked a package which included a junior suite, dinner and breakfast. The room wasn’t large but was very well appointed, the bed was extremely comfortable and the separate sitting room had everything you need. The bathroom didn’t look as if it had been updated, in contrast to the very contemporary room, but it was clean and the lighting good. The turn down service included a weather forecast – nice touch we thought.

We paid a supplement for dinner in the French restaurant and it was worth it, seated in the oldest part of the hotel, the food was excellent and the cheese board or should I say trolley was amazing. We were offered coffee in the lounge – perhaps not a wise move as it is an extension on the back and a stark contrast to the main restaurant.

Breakfast was in the conservatory, nicely presented, welcoming staff. I really liked the design of the conservatory itself, very airy and bright but with a twist.

The hotel also has what looked to be very nice spa facilities but unfortunately we just ran out of time.

Would definitely go again, even if just for a meal but hopefully another night away, and the staff are to be commended for their friendly pleasant service.

Country HouseCountry House