Nutfield Rd, Redhill, Nutfield, Surrey, RH1 4EL, United Kingdom
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

More about Nutfield Priory Hotel And Spa

It's OK.......

by TripAdvisor Member narcyjear

We were at the Nutfield Priory for a wedding in September. We tried to reserve online for weeks and the system was always down. I finally phoned (from the States) and was told that the sytem was down, again, and someone would call me back within the hour. Half a day later, I contacted central reservations, who helped me with the reservation, but the base level rooms were sold out. She said she would have the hotel call me, and surprise, they never did. I finally outlined all of this in an email to the hotel and got a response, for which they offered my an accomodation. We also requested an early check in (before 3 oclock) as the wedding started at 3. They said they could request it, but not guarentee it, which did not do us much good. We ended up hitting traffic and arriving late. I told the gentleman checking us in that we were running late and he looked at me blankly and continued telling us about the facilites. The room was lovely and breakfast was excellent. The wedding there was fabulous and we were all treated like royalty.
There was nothing that wrong with the Nutfield Priory, except that the service does not match the price. The service was perfectly acceptable for an average hotel, but for the price and advertising, it did not live up.

Excellent Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Pet_Chimp

I’ve stayed at Nutfield Priory on and off for 6 weeks. I have been thoroughly impressed by the hotel itself, the rooms and the courteous staff.

The rooms at Nutfield Priory are excellent, very comfortable well maintained. I have only had the standard rooms so cannot comment on the Suites, but judging by the standard rooms, I’d expect these to be of a higher specification.

Each room I have stayed in comes with a 42” Plasma TV and free Internet Access (wired – not wireless, reception will provide you with a network cable if you ask). The bathrooms are excellent with good quality showers etc.

The staff are eager to please and are very helpful (which, at times can be a *little* overbearing). When I pulled into the car park – some one was there to help with my bags, although to be fair, this has only happened once. The interior of the main hotel is beautiful if you like the old country house look, the bar and library are very elegant.

I have not eaten in the Cloisters restraint as my £35 a night room allowance will not stretch to it, preferring room service instead. The Room Service menu is quite limited, probably about 6 to 8 choices of a main meal. The Gym & Spa next door has slightly more choice, all of which can be charged to your room.

I would thoroughly recommend this place, after a hard day at work it was a pleasure to go back to such a nice retreat.

Very dissapointing - we cannot recommend this place.

by TripAdvisor Member alidaly

We'd had a bad experience. Instead of me telling you, let me outline the letter we sent both to the MD and marketing director on the 9th October. We never received a reply or an apology;

Dear Julia / Nick,

On Saturday the 7th October 2006, my wife and I booked into a double executive room at Nutfield Priory for one night stay (£275 B&B plus dinner in the restaurant), really looking forward to a romantic night away from the stresses and strains of work. What we received instead was an experience that would not be out of place on a hotel horror TV show.

We turned up at 3pm to find the room allocated overlooked a concrete car park, which we believe did not warrant charging the price the hotel set. We asked to be moved to another room and were politely told the only spare room was a master suite and we would have to pay an excess of £140 for the pleasure of this.

While we waited to be taken to the suite we asked to speak to the Manager and waited for him in the bar area. While we were waiting, my knee inadvertently touched the bottom of the table and I looked down to find a brown sticky substance had attached itself from your bar table to my trousers. My trousers were marked and as I’m sure you can appreciate when traveling away for one night I was not carrying too many spare pairs.

We also ordered some food while we were waiting for the Manager (with one of the orders not turning up by the way). The waitress did apologise but she said she was having trouble serving all guests in the bar because of the wedding going on next door.

As you can only imagine my wife and I were having some serious concerns with the level of service and attention to detail we’d expect from one of your hotels and therefore started to wonder whether the rest of the stay would live up to our expectations and the expectations set by you on your website.

My wife was then invited to go and view a master suite which was in fact a small bedroom and large bathroom on a separate floor with no lounge area (my understanding of a suite, having stayed in quite a few is that there is a relaxation space separate to the bedroom area). While the manager did offer to reduce the suite price down by £40, we decided to call time on our last and only visit to Nutfield Priory.

Thankfully we managed to find a quite stunning and simply beautiful country retreat in Surrey, called Great Fosters, (I’m sure you’ve heard of it), which we luckily got into at the last minute and where the room, food and service was immaculate, I may also hasten to add that the price was also comparative. I must say that I do not expect to spend my precious weekends having to source an alternative hotel because your hotel was not up to the standard described.

Unfortunately, your hotel let us down and we’re extremely disappointed with the brand, the product and service. It did not live up to its online reputation and for that your web agency should be applauded. By no means did the atmosphere make “me feel at home” or give me the confidence to “kick off my shoes”, as you say online! To cap this all off, when we were leaving the hotel, the porter clumsily dropped my suit jacket on the gravel driveway floor!

I can assure you that my experience from start to finish was a comedy of errors and I wanted to bring this to you attention. I would be grateful if you can come back to me with a response explaining why you provide such a poor quality hotel and service. I have serious reservations about visiting one of your hotels again and I know it will not be high up in my hotel recommendations, whilst on the other hand, Great Fosters certainly will. Your hotel at Nutfield Priory is indeed a beautiful setting, inspiring architecture, and wonderful grounds but it really was a true disappointment on the inside.

Yours sincerely,

Alistair

A Real Birthday Treat ....

by TripAdvisor Member Amylou0311

My boyfriend and I stayed at The Nutfield Priory for one night in November, it was a birthday surprise and it was amazing.

When we parked the car outside the entrance, I was instantly impressed by the building and the surroundings. My boyfriend did the checking in process, and it went smoothly. The only feedback that could be given was that answering the phone while checking in a guest is a bit frustrating. But I was not too concerned, I was too busy keeping warm by the fireplace!!

The receptionist offered to take our bags as he lead the way to our suite. Our suite was on the first floor and once we entered the room we were both more than impressed. The receptionist showed us around the suit including how to work the plasma screen, the bath and shower and all the other essentials you need for a pleasent stay.

Once he had left we both stood looking over the Surrey Downs amazed by the veiw, by the suite itself and the amazing bed (which was 6ft wide).

We did not book to eat in house, instead took a taxi to a local organic resturant which proved to be very nice and offered excellent service. Our breakfast in the morning was however very nice and the selection meant that we both were very happy!!

On the whole this is a good hotel, the Hardy Suite is amazing and I would most certainly go back, hopefully again next year as the fireworks displays across Surrey were amazing!!!

Not as bad as people have said...

by TripAdvisor Member werena_song

We stayed at Nutfield Priory Hotel and Spa last weekend (20th Jan 07) on a one night spa break. Overall we enjoyed our stay but a few disappointing things came up that made it not quite perfect, at the spa, my fiance and I were both booked in for two treatments, neither of which were at the same time so we spent the majority of the day apart.. the showers were left quite untidy in the evening with towels and robes on the floor before the spa had closed for the evening. However, I did have a bikini wax booked in the second day that was early and they managed to just tag it on the end of my facial on the first day so I didn't have to come back despite being fully booked so appreciated the flexibility. Truly enjoyed both treatments that I had and left feeling incredibly relaxed.. enjoyed the relaxation room, although perhaps they should have a sign on the door saying no mobile phones...

The food in the Cloisters in the hotel is lovely.. a three course dinner was included in the package that we had and all of the food was lovely, service was excellent, and we were constantly attended to with water and bread rolls with our food... breakfast was also lovely and the setting is very picturesque...

However, our room was nice, an enormous television, nice bathroom, clean and with plenty of towels..plus you can keep up with what's on the tv with the stereo sound in the loo!

Note: Beware of hidden costs, when offered a paper in the morning when we checked in, we didn't expect that it would have been added on to our bill when we checked out...

Disappointing - would not return

by TripAdvisor Member Lou&Allan

At best I can describe our stay as disappointing and poor value for money. The building is everything a country house hotel should be - such as shame that the staffing is such a let down.

Check-in performed by a very eager member of staff, continually answering the telephone during the check-in process. We had booked a junior suite which was the size of most normal hotel rooms and came with a clear view of the car park. Attempting to change our room was met with an emphatic we are fully booked - still answering the telephone.

Dinner was an interesting experience - waiters confusing attentive service with continual intrusion. Mindless repeated attempts to fill your wine glass made one feel that objective was to get another bottle ordered before the main course.....

The food was not of the standard expected - lamb ordered pink came well done. The exasperated "give us 10 minutes" after finishing our main course meant our waiter came back in 3 minutes to take our pudding order. This was in a restaurant that wasn't even full!

Breakfast whilst busy was at best sloppy, dirty crockery and milk in jug that hadn't seen a dishwasher for a couple of weeks. Not of a standard that is intimated by the hotel group.

The Spa – at best can be described as somewhat amateurish. We have both had treatments in other venues that have been substantially better.

Overall I would suggest that there are other hotels that provide better value for money and have a stronger grasp on the points that make your stay truly enjoyable.

We will not be returning to this hotel.

A real Gatwick alternative

by TripAdvisor Member Alicepops

This hotel is a real alternative if travelling on from Gatwick and makes a nice change from the usual Sofitel/Hilton/Holiday Inn options. Great suite for a family of four and friendly staff. Evening meal and breakfast well above average. Felt as if our holiday had started a day early. Booked direct with hotel who seemed happy to price-match various accomodation sites. Will happily stay again.

wish the whingers would shut up...

by TripAdvisor Member pippa02

Just come back from a lovely stay at Nutfield and wish to sing it`s praises to help balance the negative reviews.My partner picked this hotel mostly because we`d had a lovely stay in one of it`s sister hotels in April, Ettington Park in Stratford.I was worried though due to the poor reviews I read on this sight prior to our weekend break and was expecting a hotel full of incompetent fools.
I needn`t have worried though, the staff were all friendly ,helpful and professional. At this point I will point out the only glitch in the weekend.We arrived to find our room wasn`t ready at 3pm as promised but the guy on reception was very apologetic and after a lovely cup of coffee in the library he showed us up to our junior suite at 3.30.We`d booked a DBB deal in a suite for two nights and we stayed in the beautiful Milne suite on the first floor.
How anyone can say these rooms are small is beyond me.The room was large with a sumptuous king size sleigh bed and beautiful furnishings. The bathroom was gorgeous and my boyfriend loved the plasma tv.
We ate in the Cloisters restaurant both nights.I found the food fantastic and no you dont get huge portions but who really needs to eat 3 courses of massive portions.I had the pear tart for dessert and it was delicious.The waiter was attentive without being pushy and I found the price of the meal comparative to other 4 star hotels we`ve stayed in .We also had breakfast both mornings which was lovely with plenty of choice .
We didnt use the spa but my boyfriend used the gym/swimming pool and was pleased with both.
Overall I would say we had a fantastic weekend.I think there are some people who find fault wherever they go but dont let the nitpickers put you off.

Wait a minute, let me check,,,

by TripAdvisor Member Finlo

Very much a last minute "we need a night away" booking - I booked online with Handpicked Hotels on a saturday for a check in the next day. We arrived at 3 on the Sunday afternoon to be told there was no record of our booking. Fortunately was a breakdown in communication between the website and the hotel, and on brandishing the booking conf (don't leave home without it...) a room was found. I'd booked a 250 pound dinner bed and breakfast deal in a Junior Suite, but I suspect the Juniors were all full as we ended up in the Keats suite.
The hotel itself is a beatiful building, the rooms are well furnished and very clean. Our room overlooked the car park, but this is the courtyard of the house so isn't a bad view in itself!
While we were waiting for them to sort the checkin, we went through to the lounge to try and get afternoon tea. No joy, too busy, but we could have it in our room. The young barman obviously sensed something as he quickly produced two complementary drinks. Well done that man, was the last piece of independent behaviour we witnessed!
We got to the room around 20 past 3, so I rang room service to order some afternoon tea. "I'll have to check and see if there are any pastries, I'll phone you back". Huh? You're 20 minutes into a service that runs until 5 and you have to check? However, tea duly arrived and wasn't bad. Excellent scones and homemade preserve. The plasma screen TV has a DVD player attached, the guy from reception wasn't able to get the remote to actually work with the DVD, and couldn't get anyone to look until the next day. Husband managed to get it at least controlling the telly, we fell back to button pushing to watch a movie.
I'd booked dinner in the Cloisters restaurant, so we duly wandered down and hung around the door waiting for someone. Nada. We asked at the bar whether that was in fact the right way in, apparently so, so in the end we wandered through until we found someone to seat us. She checked us off on the list, walked us BACK through the restaurant and asked us to wait while she checked something with the restaurant manager. Not again, we thought. Off he rushed, muttering the name, and after a couple of minutes came back and seated us. Orders were taken quickly, but we'd been at the table 30 minutes before bread arrived. The waiting staff seemed to be serving tables in batches rather than based on arrival time. We were two tables along from a couple who'd probably come in at 7:30, we were in at 7:45, and the table next to us just before 8. Bread hit all three at the same time.
Food was tasty, with a good selection and nicely sized portions (whoever complained about portion sizes has an iron consitution, this is not the kind of food you want piled high).
Breakfast was OK. There is a good choice of cooked items, from the full english to an egg white omelette. Poor OJ, ok fruit selection, cooked breakfast arrived on good hot plates and was well cooked - no greasy bacon.

In summary, this should have been a 4* review - the hotel's got great ambience and facilities, but nobody seems to be able to DO anything without checking with someone else first, and niggly things like the technology not working and being made to look like hangers on in the restaurant knock a point off.

I can understand the variable reviews

by TripAdvisor Member ASMO

We have just returned from a stay at Nutfield having had a works do there.

The reviews make a lot of sense to me, as this does seem to be a place that "snatches defeat from the jaws of victory" at many opportunities!

The Hotel itself is absolutely stunning. The overall ambience of the place is difficult to fault in terms of the building, and communal areas. The spa itself does not seem to match this ambience and is physically separate to the hotel, so you have a 150 yard walk across the car parks to get to it. This put us off taking the kids for a swim on a cold winter day.

We stayed in the Wordsworth suite on the first floor which is utterly massive. They provided us with two childrens beds and the room swallowed them whole without a thought. The Plasma screen is very large and impressive, rising out of a cabinet electronically (via the most complicated remote control you are likely to find) and the views across the countryside are simply breathtaking.

In my view, this place needs a new management approach, as the staff are incredibly inconsistent. There were two members of staff in the bar - one who was flexible, accommodating and courteous, the other who was sour - faced, uncommunicative and was even hanging up the phone on people! The check in staff were very friendly, although there was an air of disrganisation around getting rooms ready with many other guests sat around waiting for their rooms. The food really was not good at all. Our evening meals in a private dining room were of a poor standard, and staff did not even know exactly what they were carrying. No choices were given as to how you wanted your steak cooking - it simply arrived, cooked medium and nearly cold. Breakfast was little better. The smoked salmon and scrambled eggs were incredibly rubbery, looking like they had been sat out for some time, and the cooked breakfast had obviously been keeping warm in an oven / grill, as it was dried out completely.

I certainly would consider returning, if there was a change in ownership / management, otherwise I would consider it a "risk" if I was paying a lot of money out of my own pocket.

Familiarising himself with the controls..Familiarising himself with the controls..

Jumping in..Jumping in..

Walking to the plane..Walking to the plane..

Planning the route..Planning the route..

Comments