Copthorne Newcastle

The Close, Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE1 3RT, United Kingdom

Copthorne Hotel Newcastle
Hotels.com Booking.com AMOMA.com

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• DAO's Profile Photo

NICE, QUIET AND ON THE TYNE

I found myself here on business and it was ok. Had I paid myself I might have gone elsewhere, but it’s reasonable. The hotel is kind of 'middle aged'. Not new and not too old for a complete upgrade. My room was nice with a great view over the River Tyne and my bed and pillows were excellent. The mini bar was cold, the TV worked, the bathroom functional and I had a nice table and chairs overlooking the river. You could easily work from your room.

The gym was old and worn out. It worked ok and the Jacuzzi was hot. Really nice. The pool was ok and the dressing rooms flooded.

The hotel is healthy walk to everything in the city, but just around the corner from the Castle itself and not far from the main train station.

Parking is in a chargeable car park that is not cheap.

Enjoy !

Unique Quality:
    * Great views of the river
    * Gym, pool and jacuzzi
    * Ok restaurant
    * Walkable to town
    * Nice, but slightly dated rooms
    * Expensive car parking

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Great location by the river

This hotel has a great location on the Quayside, far enough from the lively bars etc for noise not to be a problem, but within walking distance (albeit up a steep hill or long flight of steps) of the city centre. We stayed here for five nights recently and were pretty pleased on the whole with our large room with a view of the river. We felt we had good value for money here, though with a little effort the hotel could be even more impressive.

Our room was in need of decoration (which I gather from the manager’s comments on Trip Advisor is planned). The carpet was threadbare in places and the furniture and bathroom fittings a little tired-looking for a four star hotel. The king-size bed was actually two singles pushed together and because of the age of the mattresses it was impossible not to have a gap between them. But for us the generous size and great view more than compensated for these issues. We had space to spread out (we both wanted to get odd pieces of work done during our stay) and to relax and watch some TV on a couple of the evenings.

We were also pleased to have onsite parking and wifi, but it’s a shame that the hotel feels it has to charge for these, especially the wifi which I think in a four star hotel could be included these days. At least the £5 per day for wifi is per room, not per person, so we could both work at the same time, but with the £5 per day for parking too, that added £50 to the cost of our five night stay.

We decided not to bother with the breakfast here at all. It costs a hefty £14.95 per person, and is served buffet style. If you’re someone who likes to pile your plate high you might get reasonable value from this, but neither of us wants to eat a large breakfast except very occasionally, and in any case these buffets are usually disappointing – eggs in particular don’t take kindly to sitting under a hot lamp for hours. So instead we went out to one of several cafés in the locality, which was only a minor hardship.

One bonus here is the onsite swimming pool and leisure club, although like our room, areas of this had also seen better days and would benefit from a spruce up. The pool though was well-maintained it seemed, and was never busy when we visited. We also made use of the steam room and I would have liked to use the sauna but that was closed for repairs throughout our stay as was the spa bath – a shame.

Despite the minor reservations above I can definitely recommend this hotel providing you don’t mind having to climb the hill or catch a bus when you want to go into the city centre. Personally I think that’s a small price to pay for what has to be one of the nicest locations of any hotel in Newcastle.

Unique Quality: The river views are the big bonus here. I love being by water and the Newcastle Quayside is one of the great cityscapes in this country.

Directions: There’s a map and good directions on the hotel’s website

• Go on.....treat yourself!

Not exactly Newcastle's cheapest accommodation, but if you fancy a treat, it's worth it!! All rooms have a view of the river, and you're just a short stagger from all the nightlife on the Quayside.

Unique Quality: Views are superb, both from the rooms and from the swimming pool!
    The bar is a pleasant place to relax after a hard day's shopping, before you head off out for the night!

Directions: Head upstream from the bridges, and you can't miss it!

• steventilly's Profile Photo

Copthorne

79 pounds per room per night at weekends. Weekday rate differs, check with hotel. See also offers on Website.

Unique Quality: Very good quality, great riverside location.

Directions: The Close

Quayside

Newcastle upon Tyne

UK

NE1 3RT

More about Copthorne Newcastle

Very disappointing...

I've just returned from a 3-night stay at the Copthorne, and my wife and I were very disappointed.

The rooms are a decent size, but the beds are awful. Ours had a distinct slope to it, causing us both to roll over to one side. We'd had enough by 2:30am on the first night, and insisted on a new room. We were promptly moved to find the new bed sagging in the middle. Not great, especially with my wife 6-months pregnant! I had to fold up a spare blanket and put it under the middle of the mattress, propping-up the bed to let us get to sleep.

The air-con in the room was noisy, and the extract from the bathroom was inadequate- the room filled with steam when using the shower, leaving floor, walls and towels wet. Not pleasant at all.

The breakfast was not up to much- expensive at £15 all in, with no cheaper continental option. My wife ordered porridge which came in a small bowl, overflowing, watery and salty. It went straight back to the kitchen. The cold meats were dry and had obviously been out a few days in a row. Staff seemed keen but disorganised.

We stayed Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, and each night were kept awake by loud music from the hotel bars until 11:30 or midnight, despite our room being on the 4th floor. Although it was the Christmas party season, the hotel should still have a duty to its guests to provide a comfortable environment. The Copthorne seems to put short-term profit ahead of long-term reputation.

The hotel is billed as 4-star, which in this case is probably only because the facilities matched the inspectors checklist- health club, bar, restaurant, room service, etc. The Copthorne does not deserve a 4-star rating one bit!

Great location but souless

Stayed 2 days and 1 night on business. Meeting rooms are way overpriced food only passable. Service was hurried bordering on uncaring.
Rooms all have views over the Tyne which is the big and possible only attraction of this hotel,it is a short walk to the Quayside. If you are going to Newcastle for the nightlife and shopping and not going to be in your room much choose one of the Travel Inns. They are closer to the centre of the Quayside a third of the price and you won't be expecting great service so won't be disappointed

Five star, I dont think so......

I have just spent the night at this hotel as a treat with my sister and a friend. I found the staff very friendly and also very helpful. That was the good part about the stay. My main concern was the price for the quality of the hotel, not good atall. Dated decor, 1980s, breakfast not included in with the overpriced room!!! Food was nice tho. Shame it didnt have the class of the four star rating that someone has given it!! Thankyou to the lovely staff for our stay, as short as it was.

Copthorn tat.

by TripAdvisor Member M&PJacques

The hotel is tatty. Needs refurbishment. We pointed this out in a letter of complaint. The hotel offered us a free night as compensation, but it was that bad we are not taking them up on their offer, enough said.

Not as good as it used to be!

by TripAdvisor Member RMB72

I stayed in the Copthorne from 8th to 10th February. Back in 1999/2000 I had stayed here before, and remembered having a lovely room with a balcony overlooking the Tyne and was looking forward to returning.

Little has changed since! Nothing had been refurbished at this hotel for quite some time. The decor, although not shabby, is dated. The room had harelquin wallpapered walls and gaudy curtains. Alas there was no balcony this time*, just a large (unopenable) window with nice Tyne views. The bathroom was very tired - white tiles from the 80's I'd guess, with dirty grout. The tap and shower were both very old and in need of replacement to work properly.

Breakfast was very good, although at £15.75 a head I was glad it was included in my rate! The bar was reasonable, although expensive (something like £8 for a gin and tonic!). A bit full of rowdy (and rather common!) businesspeople one night.

The location is good. The hotel is close to the centre and the station, although some people might like to be advised that to walk into Newcastle centre there is a steep slope, either a lot of steps up through a garden or a longer walk via roads. Put is this way, you will want to get a taxi if going to the station!

The location is great for the bars and restaurants of the Quayside, the Baltic art gallery, Millenium Bridge etc etc. Unlike a previous reviewer, I experienced no problems with noise and I couldn't see any bars so close as to be a nuisance. There is the faint rumble of trains over one of the bridges.

Would I stay here again? Not sure really. At full cost this hotel would definitely be overpriced. If you get a decent deal, then I would consider it.

* looking from the outside, only the rooms on the 1st floor appeared to have balconies.

Nice room at nice hotel!

We stayed here for 1 night in April and our room was definitely not shabby. Don't let some of the 'bad' reviews put you off staying here! The staff were very friendly and we had a great time.

Our room overlooked the Tyne and we had a fabulous view - the only complaint I have is that thewindows do not open.

ps. Make sure you fit in a visit to the Baltic Art Gallery just up the river....

Comments