2 Grey Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE1 6EE, United Kingdom

Costs 31% less but rated 11% lower than other 4 star hotels

More about Grey Street Hotel

Great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member hafc75

We stayed here for 2 nights in January and i can honestly say it was 1 of the most comfortable rooms i have ever stayed in.
Beautiful bathroom,plasma tv/dvd player queen size bed and ample clothing space.
Front desk/check in-was quick and friendly no problems at all.
Hotel bar(The Living Room next door) was a bit pretencious and over priced,but that did not affect our judgment of the hotel.
1 minor complaint was the floorboards all round the hotel squeaked each time someone walked.
The position of the hotel is perfect situated at the top of The Quayside and close to all bars and restaurants.
We paid £164 for the 2 nights,which was a special rate,but its usually approx £120 per night,so we were pleased with the deal.

All in all,stay here if you can,you wont be disappointed.

Too noisy

by TripAdvisor Member Tommy1377

I stayed here on 6-7 February 2007. I was in a junior suite, which cost £159 per night. The room was directly above the hotel's bar. There was loud music, and cigarette smoke until 00:45. The music stopped for a bit and then started up again. I finally managed to get to sleep (because of exhaustion, not because the music stopped) at about 2am. I do not think my room was the only room above the bar. I am sure there are other rooms which are quieter, but if you find yourself in room 11 or one of the adjacent rooms, ask for another one. The music was going at 8pm when I arrived, and I had assumed it would stop by 10 or 11. I phoned up at 11, to be told it would continue until midnight (this was on a Tuesday night), and in fact it carried on way, way later. The receptionist I spoke to was not at all sympathetic or helpful in responding to my concerns. If you're planning to be out late or don't mind noise, then I guess even my room would not have been a problem, but if you're after an early night, or some quiet time, this is not the room for you.

Nice enough but overpriced for what you get

by TripAdvisor Member tummybutton

I love boutique hotels and will always try to book these above chain hotels where I can. I chose this one based on the great looking photos and location. This hotel somehow lacks the soul that other boutique hotels have. The sophisticated minimalist decor is getting a little worse for wear and the cream carpets certainly are crying out for a steam clean or replacement. My room was very attractively decorated but I was disappointed that it only had a shower as I expected a bath for the price I paid. Also the shower was difficult to set at the right temperature and pressure without drenching the floor. It did look pretty though.The hotel is in a city centre location so it is noisy throughout the night. As I'd forgotten my earplugs this meant my sleep was regularly interrupted. The enormous bed was very nice and comfy but there wasn't anywhere else to sit and no desk chair making work a bit difficult. Not ideal therefore for the business traveller, which I was.

All in all I think it's overpriced for what it is. I think if you're a couple visiting Newcastle for the weekend to go shopping and clubbing then it may be the hotel for you. It's certainly very conveniently located, and the station is just down the road. Otherwise think carefully about what your requirements are and don't be too distracted by the photos of the stylish interiors.

Too noisy

by TripAdvisor Member djl1960

Just returned from a one night stay at this hotel and very pleased to get back home to get a good night sleep. We stayed in a suite(room 10) and were initially disappointed by the slightly shabby carpet and marked walls. However it was the noise from the bar downstairs which was totally unacceptable when paying £139 per night. There must be little or no sound-proofing and the management need to make a decision between continuing to let rooms on the first floor and receiving bar income. A hotel to be avoided.

Loved it

by TripAdvisor Member hotchick_2006

I stayed here with my boyfriend for a romantic weekend away, we booked into a deluxe room we paid £159.00 for the room and were not dissapointed. All the staff were so friendly and couldnt go more out of there way to help us.

Breakfast the morning was great, we got it served to our room. My boyfriend could of ate another one.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone but females please make sure you stand in front of the PSP sign at reception or u could end up playing for there attention

Smaller than it looks...

by TripAdvisor Member aceandace

I booked this hotel for a wedding anniversary weekend, typing 'boutique hotels in Newcastle' into the search engine. The first bit of advice I would give any other prospective guests is don't be misled by the photographs on their website!! The hotel itself is alot smaller than it looks, hence the rooms have to be very cramped to fit so many into a property of it's size. Having said that my first impression was really good, a door leads directly from the hotel into the Living Room bar next door - a real boon on what was a cold, wet evening!! That soon turned to disappointment on arrival at our room - we have stayed in hotels all over the country and I can honestly say this was the smallest I have ever seen - there was just about room to walk round the bed. Another downer was there was no mini-bar/fridge and then the noise... it turned out there is an air-con unit outside the room (the windows have been 'white-glazed' to cover the horrible view) that, even with the windows closed was really loud and consistent. To be fair to the management, they did move us to another (slightly bigger, quieter room), but what I can't understand is, when they have a bigger, nicer room available why not put their guests in there in the first place...? We then discovered that the door to the Living Room is only open for guests to go through for breakfast, so we ended up having to go out in the rain anyway - one soggy maxi dress and frizzy hair-do after all...

Decent if you get a good price

by TripAdvisor Member gabio

I quite like this hotel, even if it is a bit on the cramped side. If I had to pay any more than the £59 I paid on a last minute deal I probably wouldnt be as happy. The check in staff were rude and ignorant. Carrying on their conversations while we checked in and out and asking for advice seemed like asking them for money.

The rooms were nicely decorated, if a little small but the location is very city centre and the noise can be quite annoying if you are on the lower floors. Having said that I would return. It is different from many hotels purely because of its size, and that seems to work in its favour.

Fantastic Central Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member kayleighj

We stayed at the hotel for one night on their Sunday night special deal whilst up in Newcastle visiting the stadium. I called the hotel in advance to check if we could leave our bags with them for the day, even before check in time, and they had no problem and were only to happy to help. When we did check in it was fast and had no problems at all. Our room (no 40) was clean and tasteful with a fantastic modern bathroom and view out back, although the view wasn't fantastic we were greatful to be around the back as there wasn't as much road noise (although the front wouldn't have been terrible). Air con cooled the room down for us, as it was quite muggy out and the tea and coffee selection was fine. I couldn't find any of the faults that other reviews have mentioned. The room service even ran throughout the night, if needed, serving food and drink without excessive service charging.
Very good central location, not far from a metro station. Would love to stay here again.

Good hotel, good location

by TripAdvisor Member Jon_Wigan

Stayed here for a Friday and Sat night with friends.
Overall it's pretty good, clean rooms, well designed but a little small. The bathroom was a decent size though.
The bar area below the hotel is empty and so is only worth popping into when stumbling in late at night, but since the hotel is attached to The Living Room, there is a lively bar right on the doorstep.
Breakfast is good (it should be at £13.50 per person) with good service, huge portions and friendly staff.
Checkout is a tad early at 11.00am on a Sunday. If you check out at 10.59am like everyone else, prepare for a 20 minute queue to check out.
Paid £99 for the Friday and £109 for the Sat excluding breakfast. Probably not quite worth it by the time you add breakfast on. I would say that it was more in the £80 price bracket excluding breakfast. I noticed it does rooms on Sunday nights for £50 per room and occassionally cheap internet rooms that are well worth it.
Limited parking on the street to drop off luggage but the multi-story on Dean Street nearby is cheap overnight and cheap at weekends.
All in all, the hotel was clean, pleasant, has nice staff working in the hotel and in The Living Room and a really good location.

OldfieldsOldfields

Grainger Market - Marks & Spencer's Penny BazaarGrainger Market - Marks & Spencer's Penny Bazaar

Town Moor, NewcastleTown Moor, Newcastle

Grey MonumentGrey Monument

New Years in Newcastle?

by johnybravo

Hey there.

I'm thinking of spending New Years in Newcastle, can anyone give me a low down on what goes on. Also if anyone knows of some cheap accommodation.

I'm an Australian living in Dublin, and I'm struggling to find a few mates to come along, so I'm thinking about doing it solo. Will I stick out like a bit of a loser or are most people pretty friendly, and someone will take me under their wing?

Cheers,
Bravo

Re: New Years in Newcastle?

by giggles21

Hey, I'm from Newcastle and New Years Eve wil be absolutely amazing! If you are going to go it would be best to go with a few mates but if not am sure you will mee tloads of really cool people, one thing tho if you are planning on getting anywhere near the quayside which is where all the fireworks and main nightclubs/bars etc are, you will have to get a quayside pass and seing as its already the 6th december im not sure if you will still be able to get one, try tho. Anyway hope this has helped a bit, have a wicked if you do come up!

Re: Re: New Years in Newcastle?

by dazherg

Hello Jonny ,
There no better place to party than Newcastle , have a look at my tips page on nightlife . As giggles said the Quayside will be jumping ,fireworks the lot however you will need to get a wristband to allow yourself down to the Quay. you can apply for this online at www.icnewcastle.co.uk.
The price of accomadation is standard to the UK for city hotels , however there are alternative places outside but Taxi's will be a nightmare...
May be wothwhile forking out to stay in the city in the long run..try www.lastminute.com

All the best Daz

Re: Re: New Years in Newcastle?

by soodyer

I didn't think the firework were happening this year? Is it definitely still passes only on the quayside.

It may be fully booked because of the price but Premier Lodge on the Quayside is around £55 per night, not sure if that's way out of your budget but would solve any taxi problems. There's also a YHA in Jesmond if you are a member.

Geordies are never short of something to say so you'll find plenty of folk to chat too! Have a good time :-)

Comments