Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre

Waterloo Square, St James Boulevard, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE1 4DN, United Kingdom
IHG Booking.com Travelocity

More about Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre

Customer Service Non-Existent

by TripAdvisor Member EdinburghBananaman

I recently returned from Newcastle after a weekend away to celebrate a friend's impending marriage where we stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. The weekend itself was fantastic with Newcastle being a welcome and friendly city, however the enjoyment of the weekend was brought down enormously by the level of service offered by the staff at the Holiday Inn Express. On our initial arrival at the hotel at 11.30AM on the Friday morning, we were told by a member of staff that we would be required to pay the full amount up front plus an extra £100 per room deposit. This information was never passed to us prior to our arrival as hotel staff failed to send any form of confirmation of the booking or contract informing us about the extra deposit required. In the end as a group of 9 we were required to pay £2000 up front before even stepping foot in a room as we were unable to check in until 14.00PM.

Fortunately staff allowed us to leave our luggage in an office area of the hotel. However on our return we were required to search for our bags ourselves in the office, as despite being given raffle tickets the staff had not attached the tickets to our bags and as a result were unable to locate them.

The rooms were of a good standard and clean. After spending a short time in the hotel, we went out for dinner as a group. On our return to the hotel at 2AM we bought a 3 drinks at the bar for £15 and sat down to drink them prior to going to bed. At this time we were met by an obnixious off-duty female member of staff who was drinking within the bar area. After drinking our drinks for 10 minutes she requested the hotel security staff send us to bed.

The breakfast in the morning was basic with no access to hot food even if you wanted to pay a supplement.

Again that evening on returning from a night out, the staff sent us to bed early as they did not wish residents in the bar area despite it being open to residents 'all night'. Upon checkout on the Sunday morning, the same member of staff who had been in the bar 2 nights previously was responsible for our checkout. We were handed the wrong bill with the wrong name and address. When this was brought to the attention of the hotel staff, they were very rude and said "it didn't matter" despite their being charges on the bill for which we were not responsible for. It was only after staff were forced to view CCTV footage of the bar area that it was established that it was not members of our group who purchased the drinks. We were also told that we were required to pay £35 for films which we ordered apparently from our rooms despite everyone in the group being out when the order was placed. Again this took a large amount of debating before staff agreed it could be a mistake on their part.

In summary Newcastle was an excellent city which I would visit again but I would never stay at this hotel again. The customer service was non-existent and staff were rude and extremely unhelpful.

Clean and central

by TripAdvisor Member Xylocopa

Very central, 5 min walk from train station, less than 10 min walk to St James' Park for football (follow the crowd). Clean, but small room. Great simple hotel for 1-2 people, but would not recommend trying to squeeze kids in as well - well, Ok maybe one on the (small) sofa bed, but not for more than one night.

Clean and Functional

by TripAdvisor Member coco40

We booked this hotel the night before travelling and got a good rate.

The hotel is in a good central location and shops etc are easy to get to.

Check in was quick and efficient and our room although small was very bright and clean.

Our party was 2 adults and 2 children ,the room had 1 double bed and a sofa bed which was made up for the children.

Wardrobe space is very limited ,we were only staying for 2 nights. Any longer I think we would have started to feel very cramped.

The included continental buffet breakfast was very good in my opinion. Juices, cereal, limited fruit, yoghurt, croissants,toast rolls, mini muffins and mini donuts also hot drinks. This was all we required.

Overall I thought this was a good no frills hotel, very clean and good as a base for visiting Newcstle city centre.

A contendert

by TripAdvisor Member chubbers

Three of us stayed in this hotel on the 30th march for one night, we had travelled up from the midlands for the boxing at the metro arena.
We arrived early, however we did not have to wait for a room. The room was clean and tidy with anything we could expect. The location is what makes this hotel, 5 mins from st james park, 10 mins from train station, 10-15 min walk in city centre and 5 min walk from the metro centre.Staff were helpful, breakfast continetal style was very good. There is a bar which is open untill late and they have door staff late at night to ensure all is trouble free.All in all we were very impressed by this hotel.

Great price for one night

by TripAdvisor Member chillitotes

We paid £49.00 to stay in this hotel for one night (Easter Weekend). It was in a good location although it was a bit of a pain to find in the car. The only critisims with regard to the rooms where the kettle didn't work properly, there wasn't enough Tea and coffee in the room and the fact that you had to pay £10 for an internet connection. Maybe we are spoilt when we go to Spain but in all the hotels we have stayed in in Spain the internet connection has been free.

The location and price of this hotel does seem to attract stag parties so we were woken early on Sunday morning but the noise didn't continue for long and we were able to get back to sleep.

I would stay here again.

untrained staff

by TripAdvisor Member jboi1967

I arrived at this hotel after a 5 hour drive, to be told by the reception staff that booking had not beenauthorised, this despite him having a PO number and card details from the booking agent. The only way I could have a room was to pay for it on a card . reluctantly I did this.
Next morning The reception could not understand what had happened and refunded my card. But it was too much hassle after a long day.
Another peeve was that although advertised, wifi did not work abocve the second floor.

Perfect when you're not waiting on housekeeping

by TripAdvisor Member Gerard-7

I am just back from a 3 day visit to Newcastle where I stayed 2 nights in Holiday Inn Express. Finding the hotel was easy(after wondering around in the wrong part of the City Centre) by taxi. Knowing where the hotel was made it a lot easier to find it again. People coming by Public Transport it is in easy reach of Newcastle Central Station. If you want to find it by car then you have to look for Waterloo Road rather then Waterloo Square. Waterloo Square is of Waterloo Road.

Parking was easy also in the Grainger Town Parking next to the hotel.

Check in was easy and quick, although they had 2 rooms booked for us instead of 1(and then we were foolish enough not to take the both rooms but just the twin bedded one).

The room was of a normal size and clean. Bathroom also of normal size and clean and our room had a door to an adjoining room.

Breakfast i found a little disappointed there was no cheese to put on the toast, unless you count the cheeseblocks.

Housekeeping is really something to worry about, when we arrived back on the second day we found out that our room wasn't serviced. Towels were still lying in the shower, beds weren't made and the coffeetray wasn't filled. When I lodged a complaint at reception I was given clean towels and extra tea and milk. After leaving reception I heard another man complaint about housekeeping.

If they get the housekeeping to do what they supposed to do and they provide some cheese to put on your toast then I would gladly be going back because it is almost the perfect location. (if they will provide full English or just hot breakfast buffet then I will definitely be back)

Very Modern, Very Nice!

by TripAdvisor Member Brummie-Kim

My boyfriend and I stayed here end of May bank holiday and were very impressed. the hotel is about a 5-8 min walk from the train station and set in a quiet surround for being a city center hotel.

Upon approching the hotel, it looks very modern and clean. the lobby was very tidy and the reception and bar are all one desk. We waited about 10 mins in total to check in but the staff and lobby were very busy, and when it was our turn to be checked in, it was done very efficiently.

the lifts can only be activated if you have a key card which i was impressed with and made me feel safe.

the room was what we had booked (a smoking double with rollaway bed) and was very clean. the bathroom was lovey and my boyfriend was particually impressed that you could bend the bathroom door all the way round into the bathroom to make the toielt into it's own individual cubical, so if someone was on the loo - another person could still use the bathroom amenities.

the bathroom had low level lightin in as well so u could leave them on at night and if you got up to go the loo, you knew where to go without having to put the big light on (as the curtains were complete blackout)

the hotel is in an ideal location and very well presented. There was lots of information in the lobby area on places of interest and if you did fancy stopping in, you could order a pizza and have it delivered and charged to your room bill, which impressed us!

the breakfast (free) in the morning had more than enough choice and ample seating.

we didnt have a drink in the bar so couldnt say about prices and my boyfriend is actually an employee for the company so we got our room at staff rate, although i did see their tariffs on display and at £89.00 a night (which includes your free breakfast) in a city centre location, i thought this was good for its money, and you can always find the hotels cheaper on its websites.

Both of us would definatly stay here again.

Close to St. James' Park (NUFC)

by TripAdvisor Member craftwoodman

We stayed in this hotel on June 14. Our selection of this hotel was due to it being close to St. James' Park. The hotel is located in an area that does not have much traffic. The room was average and met our needs for the one night we stayed. If we were to stay longer we would need to find a larger room. The staff was very polite and easy to work with. One drawback was having to pay extra for an internet connection. The rate for the room should have included this small option.

BAD CHECK IN STAFF!

by TripAdvisor Member forza32

We we're booked into this hotel but due to a mix up between hotel and booking agent we we're moved to another hotel and wasted a couple of hours by doing so, the check in staff we're clueless making us hang around and then whn they told us where the new hotel was expected us to go without directions or hotel phone number, very unprofessional and unhelpful! would not recommend this to anyone...

Old Eldon SquareOld Eldon Square

Central Arcade, Newcastle - detail of tileCentral Arcade, Newcastle - detail of tile

At the bar in the Ridley ArmsAt the bar in the Ridley Arms

Food in Bob Trollop'sFood in Bob Trollop's

Is there any special event in the week before Easter?

by christine.j

Hi, I'll be going to Yorkshire next March and plan to fly back out of Newcastle Airport, so I'm looking for hotels close to the train station. When I was checking availability , many websites said " fully booked already" or "no room available ". I'm going the week before Easter, leaving Good Friday. It's still quite a long time until March, so I'm really surprised so many hotels seem to be booked already.
Is there any major event going on? Should I book now, as soon as I find a hotel or B&B?
Thanks for your information.
Christine

Re: Is there any special event in the week before Easter?

by manice

Schools have a two week holiday around Easter. I would think that that is the reason why. There is not a big event going on apart from Easter! Easter Weekend is a long weekend. People are off work Friday to Monday and so many people will go away for the weekend and will come back on Monday ready for work on Tuesday

Re: Is there any special event in the week before Easter?

by toontraveller

Hi Christine
There is always something going on in Newcastle but nothing special on those dates. You should be able to find a hotel with no problem at all. What is your budget for your stay, is it just one night and do you want to stay right by the station or are you prepared to stay somewhere in between. Let me know and i can chase a few places for you.

Re: Re: Is there any special event in the week before Easter?

by christine.j

Hi, thanks a lot for your help. I didn't know Easter Monday is a holiday in the UK. That made things much easier for me. My son will be working in Cambridge next spring and with the Monday off he now said he'll join me for the Easter weekend. So I started looking for a twin and found out there are still rooms available.
It seems there are only a few singles in each hotel and they were booked already.
So again thank you.