Quality Hotel Newcastle

Booking.com Agoda.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 28% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

More about Quality Hotel Newcastle

Aslong as you don't pay the full rate you'll be ok!

by TripAdvisor Member mattd3

We chose this hotel mainly due to its location - near the city centre and St James's Park. After reading the reviews on this site I was ready for the worst. Although the hotel wasn't that bad, it wasn't that great either.

Firstly the hotel was very hard to find, we ended up driving round the city centre several times before we gave in and rang the reception. It turned out that the car park entrance was off a small side street. However, there were plenty of spaces.

The check in process was quick enough; the lady behind the desk was helpful. They also changed some Scottish banks notes from a previous leg of our trip for us.

The room and en suite were average sizes however the whole room smelt of smoke, which you would expect from a smoking room, but we had booked a non smoking room. Also the decor of the hotel was poorly maintained which was disappointing to see.

The main benefit of this hotel was the breakfast, where the food was plentiful and the staff were extremely helpful.

When I visit Newcastle again I doubt I will stay in this hotel but for the money we paid it was ok.

by TripAdvisor Member Trumpton1

Impossible to find, walked past the door several times, had to ask locals where it was.

Tatty and dirty, terrible decor,

My room was next to a lift shaft, which rattled and bumped all day and night, making sleep {even with ear plugs} impossible.

Staff didnt seem to have even a basic grasp of English. Couldn’t even get a do not disturb sign from reception....

Breakfast was an adventure, had to go looking for items such as butter, jam, milk on other tables, this happened each of the 4 mornings I stayed hotel.
One morning I was seated at a table that still had dirty plates and was covered in crumbs from its previous occupant, no one made any effort to clear these….

Not a cheap hotel, I have stayed at many B&Bs that are substantially better in every way, in fact I would say that this is the WORST Place I have ever stayed.

Do your self a favour, DON’T EVER EVER STAY HERE

quite good actually

by TripAdvisor Member delenn-sheridan

I booked before I read the reviews posted on this site and was quite concerned. However when I arrived I was pleasanly surprised. I know Newcastle so had no difficulty in finding the car park from the directions and the reception was clearly marked. The room was clean and tidy, the flush on the toilet was a bit tempremental but nothing major. We were on the car park side so it wasn't too noisy but we could still hear a little noise but we were in the city centre so some is expected. It was very central which was exactly what we wanted because we were there for a concert and a night out.
The staff were wonderful and breakfast was fine although the restaurant should make more of the impressive views of the city.
I got a very good internet deal, I might have felt different if I had paid the full room price that didn't include breakfast as the facilities were basic. If I had to pay more, I would have booked a hotel on the quayside but the Quality Hotel met our needs on this occasion.

not all bad

by TripAdvisor Member shelley-ann

impossible to find, i must have circled the area 5 times before i saw a tiny glass door with quality hotel on. the picture of the hotel on the web site can't be seen from the road as its up on a high rise roof which you find by following a concreate spiral car ramp. the hotel was clean, i stayed there 4 nights and on one of the days the cleaning wasn't up to scratch, it was very noisey as theirs 3 nightclubs within 100 m each side. the food was ok from the breakfast buffet but very expencive at £11. i tried the restaurant one evening their was 3 other tables in the restaurant and 2 members of staff, i sat at my table for 15 minutes and wasnt given a menu or asked if i would like a drink, i left and went to the local china town where the service was much better

Bad Experience

by TripAdvisor Member Dawnay

Stayed at the Quality Inn for one night in early December which has to rank as one of the poorest hotels myself and my wife have experienced. Although the prices were good for a city centre hotel, we found the rooms were poor with dirty crockery which had to be washed before we were able to use. The decor was shabby ,corridors unheated and the single glazed windows allowed a great deal of noise from the streets below until well into the early hours. No hot water ensured the morning shower was ice cold and breakfast was a joke continually running out of food on the hot buffet (and more dirty crockery ) Other guests were obviously experiencing similar problems as these seemed to be the topic of conversation at breakfast - the ones that weren't asked to wait for a table that is! The bar on the 6th floor did feel unwelcoming and the clock remained on BST. Reception was the exception - despite being woefully understaffed they remained cheerful and helpful throughout. This wasn't an experience we would wish to repeat.

The Hotel that hides itself

by TripAdvisor Member NottsMonty

As a first time visitor to Newcastle,I too found the hotel difficult to find.
How about a decent ,visible sign facing onto Newgate St.?
Drove up and down the street twice before asking a local cabby.
Just aswell I did because i'm sure I'd still be driving up and down!
That was only half the job done.
I still had to find the car park via the one way system.
Oh what fun!
Once I eventually got parked up (about an hour after first finding Newgate St)my time spent there was ok.
Yes the decor has seen better days but it was a comfortable enough stay and the staff were friendly.
Didn't find it to be unclean like some of the other guests comments

ideal location

by TripAdvisor Member jeelyeater

stayed for 2 nights and overall was good value for what we paid.rooms clean and tidy but some parts of hotel a bit tired.breakfast was good and hotel is in an ideal location but can get a bit noisy on a sat.night as rooms do not have double glazing.would stay again when in newcastle.

Worst Experience of any hotel I've ever stayed in!

by TripAdvisor Member LucyLocket_7

I'm new to Trip Advisor so I have to admit it was a couple of years ago that I stayed in this hotel, but I felt I had to share with you the most awful experience of any hotel I have ever stayed in. It was very tired and shabby when we stayed there but worst of all was the unacceptable behaviour of fellow guests during the Friday and Saturday nights we stayed. We were kept awake nearly all night by contstant shouting, bad language, banging on our door at various times during the night and such like. Despite our contacting reception and being assured something would be done it continued all night. In fairness to the chain I did get a response to my complaints about the hotel and was offered a small voucher in compensation - but to be honest I never want to stay in a Quality Hotel again so I've never used it!

central clean and basic

by TripAdvisor Member Pebbles21

Group of four girls booked through a local travel company. Shopping trip to Metro Centre including travel and one night BB and Evening Meal at Quality Hotel.

Bus driver couldnt find hotel went round one way system three times eventually asked passer by. Found side entrance on street had to get member of staff to get on bus to direct him to main entrance.

Hotel was basic but clean. Couldnt fault the food at all. Our dinner was lovely, we were really surprised.

Got a bit noisy at night as you are in central of Newcastle.

Found it really good value for money and very central booked again this year for two nights.

Do not stay here if you want sleep!!

by TripAdvisor Member Adders

Took us ages to find the hotel as the directions on the website were wrong. When we did find it we were very disappointed. The hotel is very tired and in need of decoration. The girl on the desk was brilliant but very overworked. The room was ok but the bathroom was in need of replacing and the bed was definitely in need of a new mattress. A nightclub underneath the hotel kept us awake until 3.30am and then when we got to breakfast everything had run out including croissants , bread and yoghurts. Would certainly not stay there again.

Beehive Hotel, High BridgeBeehive Hotel, High Bridge

Central Arcade, NewcastleCentral Arcade, Newcastle

Ridley Arms, StanningtonRidley Arms, Stannington

Nice pintsNice pints

Cool places to visit in Newcastle

by Traveldi

Hi I am doing a travel programme and we are descending on Newcastle next weekend.

It would be great to get some insider tips on good places to visit for travellers who would be coming over from Belfast on a short break.

Any insight into to places worth a visit would be fantastic - resturaunts, attractions, interesting streets,shopping.

The programme is for a local station and is very down to earth and made up of the people we meet along the way, so if you have any ideas I would be delighted to hear them.

Hope the weather over there is better than it is here in Belfast at the minute!

Looking forward to finding out what Newcastle has to offer!

Best Wishes
Travel Di

RE: Cool places to visit in Newcastle

by TONYALAWSON

hI!!
I HAVE LIVED IN NEWCASTLE NOW FOR 8 YEARS AND LOVE IT,

THERE ARE A FEW MAIN AREAS FOR DRINKING:
JESMOND -LEAFY SUBURB ABOUT 1.5 MILES OUT -VERY TRENDY AND USED TO BE STUDENTY BUT ACCEPTABLE TO ALL - GOOD HAPPY HOURS AND LOVELY BARS. EASY TO GET TO TOWN IN TAXI OR METRO,

CENTRAL STATION: BARS INCLUDE DESTINATION, CENTURION, WEATHERSPOONS (VERY NICE INSIDE) AND REVOLUTION (VODKA BAR)

THE GATE: AN "ENTERTAINMENT" COMPLEX- TIGER TIGER, AND OTHER SUCH BRANDED BARS VERY TRENDY AND WHERE THE PROFESSIONALS OF THE CITY GO ON A SAT NIGHT.

QUAYSIDE: QUITE A FEW NICE RESTAURANTS AND COSY/LIVELY BARS. ALWAYS A GOOD NIGHT OUT AND BUSY AT WEEKENDS.

BIGG MARKET: CHARVERS GALORE- WEAR YOUR 3 STRIPE TRACKSUITS AND THAT'S DRESSING UP!!!

SHOPS -METRO CENTRE / OR CENTRE OF TOWN GETTING SOME GREAT NAMES IN.

RESTAURANTS: ALWAYS GOOD: GERSHWINS ON GREY STREET A CAVE FILLED WITH LIGHTS PRICEY BUT THE BEST RESTAURANT IN THE TOON.

LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT MORE INFO.
TONYA.

RE: RE: Cool places to visit in Newcastle

by Traveldi

Hi there,

thanks for getting back to me, I think we did our programme in October (it was cold) and had a great time, and loved Newcastle everyone was so friendly,

we did a piece on Tiger Tiger & Bar Beyond (i think that was the name) in the Gate!
other things we ventured across were The Apartment, and I think our favourite was a place called UNO's it was great fun. A shop called Attica, loads of coffee stops, the Baltic.....

So some of your suggestions were there!

I think our floor length coats, hats and scarves were the talk of the town that weekend,
the girls there have no problem braving the elements do they!!!

Thanks for taking time out to reply!
Best Wishes