Neville Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE1 5DH, United Kingdom

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• fabfourfan's Profile Photo

Royal, classy but bad rooms!

Royal Station Hotel has an unique location if you are coming with train, located just beside the Central Station main entrance and close to all of Newcastle's main sights.

The Hall and reception is great, royal and classy! Friendly staff too. The rooms are a bit small, not the best quality either but okay for a night stay.

Very friendly staff at the Restaurant, great food, cheap prices...

Welcome to the Royal Station Hotel!

Unique Quality: Entrance, location, restaurant

Directions: Close to Central Station

• TheGaz1982's Profile Photo

A good hotel...An even better location!

Having my own accomodation in Newcastle, I have never needed an hotel, but I have herd that most of them are good. The most important aspect to me is the location of an hotel, this is why I would reccoment the Royal Station Hotel, it is right next to the train station, and close to everything else! What more could you ask for?

Unique Quality: Great architecture, close to everything, great view!

Directions: Located next to Central Station.

More about Royal Station Hotel

B&B in Whitley Bay about...

by Travel24

Or go up market Very nice Hotel in Town
Royal Station Hotel about £70.00 Per Night
£10 to £70.00 Clean / Cheap / Great People /

dont stay here

from the outside the hotel looks tired and unloved. inside is worse, room 319 to be avoided at all costs, it overlooks the busy rail station, you will hear every station announcment, and every train i guarantee you will not sleep. a request to change rooms was met with a frosty " were full". tthis room has alarge damp patch on the bathroom wall, the toilet and cistern are not fixed and move when used, no shower curtain, no shower rail, the wardrobe top shelf had years of dust on, and contact with the bed headboard would not be advised, peeling paint and wallpaper are just some of the items brought to managements attention , twice, no response what ever. do not go there

A new definition of attrocious

Please read the reviews here very carefully, and be warned.

This attrocious crumbling pile is every bit as bad as the care-worn exterior suggests. And then a little more so.

They attempted to charge me £144.00 for two nights, excluding breakfast. I say 'attempt' because their 'customer service' policy met more than it bargained with.

I tried to check-in at about 12.45 only to be told that 'check-in' was at 14.30. I have stayed in many hotels both in the UK and in Europe and North America and have never even found a receptionist who is unwilling to check for early room availability. I accepted what I was told and asked whether I could leave my bag because I was due to meet friends. I was told, rather than asked, to put my bag in a cluttered room behind a shabby white door. There was no lock on the door and no receipt issued.

I was eventually granted a room and then things went from bad to worse. Do not be taken in by claims of re-furbishment. While it is true that the architecturally impressive foyer and atrium have been restored to some semblance of heavy-handed Victorian 'splendour' in the manner of 'Hammer House of Horror' many of the corridors and rooms have more in common with 'The Bates Motel'. Personally I expect more than long, infinitely gloomy and musty corridors when a place claims to have been re-furbished.

My room was horrific. Perched somewhere in the attic and complete with jammed dormer window. sloping ceiling and curtains that could only be reached by stretching across something that resembled a small mattress on which a family pet has expired it was 'decorated' in a coloyr that had deteriorated into a mushy mushroomy beige that was infinitely depressing.

The only ventilation for this sad and neglected room was from the bathroom window and only the benefit of daylight brought about the chance to examine the stained bedding, worn carpets, cracks in ceilings and paintwork. Friends were occupying another room that was, if possible, worse and other friends staying at the infinitely superior 'Thistle Hotel'opposite all inspected the hovel and were as horrified as me.

A night in a room that reminds one of the seedy rooms portrayed in 'B Movies' representing life in post Blitz London is not something that one expects of a large city hotel in 2004.

I decided to stay because I had no option but things came to a head the following afternoon when I returned after a day in town in order to change for the evening. My iron had been taken from my room. The attitude of the member of staff to whom I complained was at first cavalier and then aggresive. He claimed that the housekeeper must have thought that the iron was hotel property and removed it. It was my fault. I was also told in no uncertain fashion that unless I could remember the make and model of the item I would be unlikey to get it back. I stood my ground and he eventually appeared with several irons, all different, including mine.

I decided that this was the right time to point out some of the other deficiencies of this sorry pile. His response was that if I didn't like it I should pack my bags and leave. £77.00 per night, in his opinion, represented excellent value but made it clear that I was not welcome there. At this point I had no alternative accommodation but was delighted to be able to go back to him just fifteen minutes later having secured a nice single room, with breakfast, at The Thistle across the road for just £50.00.

A refund was granted.

This is without doubt the shabbiest hotel that it has ever been my misfortune to experience. It gives an appalling impression of what is a fine city and Newcastle upon Tyne should be ashamed of the fact that such a dreadful hotel occupies a prime site.

My friends suffered similarly bad treatment and I am urging them to post their own review here.

Please - PLEASE do not waste your money but if you do decide to take the risk don't be put off by their aggressive stance. Stand your ground!

How The Royal Station Wasn't Fit For These Queens

I stayed in this lovely abode whilst hosting a group of friends in Newcastle. Luckily, they procured the Thistle as their resting place, but, through too much procrastination, myself and my guest were stuck in the Royal Station.

I'd sooner recommend sleeping on the Tyne mudflats than this place.

Our first room was absolutely disgusting - the wallpaper peeling away, the bed lumpy, a ceiling which hadn't seen paint since the Boer War, a toilet that was leaking, a door hanging off hinges and when I stood on the bathroom floor, a tile stuck to my foot. Excellent stuff. The last straw was finding I was sharing my bath with little insects on the bathtub rim.

We persevered for one night, managing about eighteen minutes sleep in between the train noises and blaring taxis outside, though the hotel can hardly be blamed for that - a warning might have been nice, though.

The one plus point came next when we complained - the manager we spoke to was extremely pleasant and dealt with our complaint with good grace. We were upgraded to a double room immediately. Appeased, we set about enjoying our night.

Until, at 1.30am, another problem. Getting into the hotel. Because they had basically cocked up our booking, only one of our names was down for the room, and subsequently, one of us would have had to spend the night outside on the streets. The man on the door was unsympathetic and extremely rude, refusing to believe anything but his sheet. Our explanation fell on deaf, pointy ears.

The upshot of all this? We spent £170 to spend one night in a sweaty matchbox and another night in a different hotel, where one of our friends graciously put us up.

In short: do not bother. The Thistle is opposite and provides nicer rooms for cheaper prices. The entire hotel was a shambles save for the manager, who did genuinely make an effort.

We won't be returning.

Over priced & terrible food

by TripAdvisor Member Dub-Ireland-Visitor

Arrived at the hotel and advised the reception staff that we had been travelling since 4.30am and despite that the room was not ready at check-in. The unhelpful reception staff didn't really care. The room was clean but very basic...nice view and great location. Dinner in the restauant was possibly the worst I have ever tasted (avoid the burgers!), and the breakfast was no better. Also the hotel insisted on full payment upfront before we travelled. This was not part of the on-line booking confirmation. The bar staff were friendly and the gym was good, but unless I was desparate I would'nt stay here again.

Excellent hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ivanBangor

This was a very good hotel despite all the negative reviews I had read. The staff could not have been more helpful, the room was good and the breakfast fresh and hot, unlike many I have had in hotels costing 3 times the price.

I loved the decor and even beside the railway station there was no excessive noise. Ten out of ten. I would go back tomorrow.

Urine Free

Excellent. On a lads weekend away. Clean room, tasty breakfast, two minutes from train station. Exactly what was req'd for the weekend in question and cheap as old chips. Never managed to pull a bird so didn't encounter the £35 surcharge unfortunately.

Hotel or Hostel

Just arrived home after two nights in this hotel.
First impressions not good, reception staff unhelpful and miserable.
Initially would not let me check in at 15.00 until the rest of my party arrived.
"We need £30.00 bond per person for damage you may cause". I am an adult not a child, hotel manager!
First room allocatted smelt like a family of tom cats had been in there for a week. Changed rooms, was better but in need of refurbishment.
Arrived back at the hotel each evening to be stopped by two bouncers with a clipboard checking name, room number & keycard. No guests or female friends allowed in unless you paid an extra £35.00, a bit expensive for a coffee !
No late residents bar after 01.00.
Breakfast good the next morning.
On the day of depature the reception staff then accussed me of being aggressive after checking out early and asking for my £30.00 "damage bond" back, as because I am an adult I used the room for sleeping in not smashing up! Was told that my room mate who was checking out later than me had to leave before the bond was returned. After lenghty waiting the hotel manager then escorted me to the room like a little child to check it for damage. And I thought I was a paying guest !!!
Will not be using in the future.

Weekend in Newcastle

by MamguIz&Will

Hi, I am coming to Newcastle next weekend and need some suggestions as to where to stay. I've seen a Formula 1 hotel listed anyone stayed there?

RE: Weekend in Newcastle

by Maxus

hiya, I stay in Newcastle regularly with work but I do not know Formula 1 hotel. I use either the Jurys Inn or Royal Station Hotel both are central and of a good standard. They both have websites with a book on line function.

Make sure you use the hotels own website, google is getting bogged down with booking agents.

The Royal Station has lots of character and is obviously handy if you are travelling by train. There is no free parking at Jurys Inn but there is a pay carpark across the road.

regards

Mark

RE: RE: Weekend in Newcastle

by geordieontour

Hi

Formula 1 is away from the centre and the Quayside and is on the bye pass and will cost in Taxis.
Better to stay in the Travel Inn or Premier Inn on the quayside or the Holiday Inn Express next to the Football ground and centre in Toon,

hope this helps

RE: Weekend in Newcastle

by andy.s

hi
best for value is the copthorne ,on the quayside, it has a pool and the restraunts are great. malmaison is very chic.but if you are on a budget, it has got to be the travel inn , again on the quayside, great view, clean, modern and cheap.
good luck